2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks again, Withindale, your thread about rolling tissue role and hammers was very interesting. Also, I had not seen the hammering of the hammers video before. I also thought Mr. Oleg's comment to the video, about one of the hammers getting one fewer blows with the ball peen was mildly entertaining.

Thanks again,

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I find when communicating with techs, it is best to be quantitative about things. When my Yamaha became too bright, I asked my tech to voice it down, and he said he didn't feel it needs it. So I asked him between 1 to 10, where does he think the piano is and he said it's about a 7. When it gets to 9 or 10, he will tell me that it needs to be voiced down, and he doesn't like to make clients feel he is over servicing or charging.

That immediately made sense to me, so I told him I like it around 5 not 7 and certainly will never tolerate a 9. He immediately understood and voice the Yamaha down to exactly where I liked. He readily admit that's not where he likes it, but it is my piano. Nowadays, he just knows to voice down my piano every six months. I don't even have to tell him. It sounds awesome to me, perhaps a bit soft for him.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
If you do any reading in the Tuner/Tech Forum, you will quickly see that many techs have very little respect for piano owners and believe that we need to conform to their, often, narrow ideas of how a piano should sound.

If a tech gives you attitude, give 'em the boot!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
T
OP Offline
T
Marty, good advice! I still like the powerful bass, but I'm still not sure. reminds me of a suit salesman many years ago that told me that I didn't know what I like. I walked out.
Thanks for the comment, missed you!

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"... reminds me of a suit salesman many years ago that told me that I didn't know what I like. I walked out..."

Reminds me of meeting an elderly sister of the deceased (my grandfathers wife, and a very dear lady) at her funeral. I was not surprised when she asked me my name, but I was surprised when, on telling her my true and actual name, she corrected me. We did this little dance three times before I gave up on her. I guess I don't know what my name is--- maybe I should be on one of those "Child on the Milkcarton" with the tag line: Do you know mu name?"

Clef

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I honestly think our like or dislike for piano tone can change over time. I know mine has.

That’s why I see nothing wrong with having more than one piano, each with a different tone signature. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Rick

Now you've hit on an endless line of argument for yet another piano.

Your preferences could change from day to day, from one piece to the next, and with the wind. A stentorian bass in the early evening could give way to the intimate tones of a baby grand late at night....

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Originally Posted by Withindale
Rick

Now you've hit on an endless line of argument for yet another piano.

Your preferences could change from day to day, from one piece to the next, and with the wind. A stentorian bass in the early evening could give way to the intimate tones of a baby grand late at night....

You are absolutely right, Withindale. I suppose it is best to find “THE” right piano and stick with it for the duration. But then you only experience the euphoria of buying a new (or new-to-you) piano only once. smile

Of course, there is a down side to having more than one piano… sacrificing the space needed and keeping them all in tune.

However, there is another way to satisfy ones changing appetite for piano sound and tonality. I had a piano dealer to tell me once that he had a particular customer who traded pianos about every two years… grin

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There is no perfect piano for anything. When listening to professional recordings I am often thinking this sounds so great right here, but then moments later I am thinking well the piano could be a bit brighter (or opposite) for this part of the music.

The perfect piano would be a piano capable of changing its tone as easily as the orchestral composer changing musical tone by utilizing a different instrument. At the very least, I do think it would be good during a concert performance that a pianist is allowed to change piano from piece to piece, but even that is generally not possible.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I like Rick's idea the best - Multiple Pianos!

I'm guilty, too.

If someone could really define "brightness" I would be soooooo thankful! It would win a Nobel Prize for "Bright Ideas."

laugh

Marty in Minnesota

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Most of the piano technicians I know try to satisfy their clients needs regarding how their piano should play and sound. Marty, just because it may seem from your reading of the record of postings in the technical forum that "many technicians have very little respect for piano owners"-I believe the opposite is true. And I don't think other PW readers would necessarily interpret the record of postings the same.

The art of communication between pianist and piano technician is especially fraught with misinterpretation because qualities of touch and tone are difficult to define accurately.

I think I know more piano technicians than you do-and most of the ones I know want to help pianists.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I think I know more piano technicians than you do-and most of the ones I know want to help pianists.

How many you know is absolutely irrelevant.

By your statement, I assume that (they) "want to help pianists" is to help them to understand that A=440 is absolute and that anything other than their interpretation of Equal Temperament should be shunned at all costs.

Thank you very much, I don't need this kind of "help."

Please read the current "Standards" thread in the tech forum. I believe that it supports my observation very well.

Marty in Minnesota

The art of communication between pianist and piano technician is especially fraught with misinterpretation because qualities of touch and tone are difficult to define accurately.

From our experience it also helps a lot if the tech is actually able to play piano himself enabling him to make necessary adjustments not only from a "spec" point of view but actual human touch feel.

At that point I've seen things consistently become much easier between technician and pianist.

Not the only way of course, but pretty good one if applicable.

Norbert

Norbert

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission