2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 216 of 452 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 451 452
E
E
Hi All,

I had previously posted a recording of Scarborough Fair (from Alfred's Basic Level 1) playing it on my 61 key electronic kb. I recorded it again using my new old (1953 model) Baldwin Hamilton acoustic and thought maybe someone might be interested in the difference. Here it is:

Scarborough Fair Acoustic Version

Since I got the acoustic a few months ago it's mostly what I play.

Ed

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
G
G
Hi guys. As an intro.... I took lessons for a couple of years when I was a kid (Alfreds) and quit, played clarinet in the high school band, but hadn't played an instrument at all in about 15 years. My 7 year old son started taking lessons about a year and a half ago....Alfred's. Hearing some of those same tunes that I played almost 30 years ago, however hokey they are, really sparked an interest in me. I bought the Alfred's AIO book about a year ago, but just couldn't motivate myself to do it on my own. So I signed up to take lessons from my son's teacher in January. Alfred's Adult AIO is the book she teaches adults from, so it was a nice seamless transition.

I had made it up to "When the Saints" on my own pretty easily, so we started from there. My teacher is skipping a lot of the pieces in the book, but she's assigning me other stuff, too.

I've learned Bach's Minuet in G Major pretty quickly (it helped that my son has been working on that piece for a couple of months, and I had spent a lot of time helping him practice).

I'm now working on an arrangement of "Moonlight Sonata." My teacher is a little more confident in my abilities than I am LOL. This arrangement is *only* 3 pages, and it's in F Major (or is it D Minor?) instead of C# Major, but it's still pretty tough. I'm relatively ok with the octave spread of the right hand and most of the fingering, but to make it sound right (according to my instructor, and I agree) you have to play the left hand a little louder, the right hand 5th finger the loudest, and the other right hand fingers the softest. Varying the volume of 3 or 4 notes played simultaneously is challenging. She also added some pedal, which definitely adds another layer of complexity. But I love this piece, so I'm determined to get it right!

Anywho.....as far as Alfred's - I really enjoyed Lullaby, and it sounds FANTASTIC when you add pedal. Unlike most of you, I didnt have too much trouble with Blow the Man Down, and I actually enjoyed that one. I absolutely despised Good People, but I practiced the bejesus out of it so that I could play it good enough for my teacher that she wouldn't make me practice it for another week LOL. I'm working on Brown Jug and that Mexican clapping song now (I'm away from my music right now....I can't remember the name of it....I wanna say Chiminea but I know that's wrong).

Thanks, guys. Love the forum so far!.

M
M
I too hit a brick wall with "Good People" because, for the life of me, I can't make it sound like music. Sometimes, though, I get a glimpse of what it should sound like, and I keep plugging along.
What I'm doing now, though, is playing the Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 along with the Adult All in One course. I played a number of pieces from that book a number of years ago, and I'm returning to it now as it's keyed to various stages in the All in One.
There's lots of good stuff there (mostly from movies and Broadway) to supplement what I'm studying in Alfred.
Anyway, back to "Good People" and some scales.

I'm getting there--note by note.
Thanks for the tips Michael Steen. Some good ones indeed. I will give them a try. Pretty much got it nailed now but I will try for sure, and when I get to Can Can later on.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I loved Good People when I was doing Alfred's - I still play it sometimes. But it took a lot of teacher guidance to get it to sound like anything. Have you listened to Good People on YouTube?

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
M
M
joyoussong,
Thanks so much for the tip about "Good People" on YouTube!! Just now when I was out for my walk I thought of looking on YouTube for someone playing it because, if you don't know what the tune is supposed to sound like, your chances of coming up with something musical are pretty slim (unless of course you're a great sight-reader, in which case--WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN ALFRED'S #1??).
Anyway, thanks again. This will be of great help to me as I continue these studies.

K
K
Hey all,

New to the forum and the Piano here.

For various reasons, my job foremost among them , I am unable to get a regular teacher so have decided to go the self taught route.

Currently working my way through Alfred's Level One. I have also ordered the Alfred's Greatest Hits and The Best of Ludovico Einaudi as something to aspire to.

Have always liked Piano, (and been a lurker on these forums for a long time) but I recently discovered Einaudi who spurred that to an even greater desire to learn the instrument. Passing a Music shop I noticed a second-hand Technics PX-107 Digital Piano and went in and bought it.

I am currently on page 45-47, working on g When the Saints Go Marching In.

Have read quite a chunk of this thread but not all (yet! 144 pages, sheesh) are there any other books considered "must have" for a self teaching?

I'm being as disciplined as I can with my regime, and Alfred's has a nice structure dealing with technique, and theory, it seems very wello put together.

-Khen

Last edited by Khendon; 03/14/11 03:28 PM.
M
M
Khendon,
I also have the Bastien Adult Beginner series, including Musicianship for the Adult Beginner and Favorite Melodies the World Over. All 3 of these come in two volumes (levels).
I think that those, along with the Alfred's, provide the adult beginner with a wealth of material to work on.
If you're having trouble with any of the pieces, though, I'd suggest you see if you can find anyone playing what you need on YouTube. I was amazed today that someone posted a video of "Why Am I Blue" from the Alfred's book, and it was just what I needed.
In the absence of a teacher, watching a decent performance of the piece you need on video can be a lifesaver. (And the video doesn't care HOW many times you play it).

G
G
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I loved Good People when I was doing Alfred's - I still play it sometimes. But it took a lot of teacher guidance to get it to sound like anything. Have you listened to Good People on YouTube?

Yeah, I just saw that a couple of days ago. I couldn't make it sound that good when I was playing it...though I basically played it accurately, it sounded "forced" and "mechanical" and not "musical.". Now that I've heard it, I *could* go back and work on it a little more and clean it up some. But personally, I'm just not fond of the tune. Thankfully, my teacher passed me and I don't have to play it anymore LOL.

F
F
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
Khendon,
In the absence of a teacher, watching a decent performance of the piece you need on video can be a lifesaver. (And the video doesn't care HOW many times you play it).

I agree. See the first page of this thread. There are some links to pieces played by alfred students.

Welcome to this thread all new people!

I finished "Kum-ba-yah" and I am doing the "Hanon's Aerobic Sixths" - page 87.

Last edited by fliper; 03/15/11 04:29 AM.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

I ahve determined I have a different Alfred's All in One book. Some of the song's people listed aren't in mine.

This is what I have;
[Linked Image]

Not this:
[Linked Image]

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
G
G
Did anyone else find the fingering suggestions in Chiapanecas awkward? Up until the 1st/2nd ending (in the staccato part), I'm fingering pretty much exactly the way Alfred's suggests. But after that (in the legato part), in the treble clef, it just doesn't come naturally to me to finger it the way they suggest. Starting with the first note, the B flat and D...using my thumb for B flat just feels unnatural. Instead of 3/1 as they suggest, I'm using 4/2. Second line, for the A and C, they suggest 2/1, but my hand just naturally falls to 3/1 for that note. Maybe they do it that way to get your hand higher up on the keyboard for reaching the F with 5 at the end of the line, but I have relatively large hands and I don't have any problem stretching. etc etc etc, I'm fingering the entire remainder of the piece differently than they suggest. My lesson is Thursday, so we'll see what my instructor says about it.

Just strange that, up until now, pretty much all of the fingering suggestions in the book have been spot-on for me, and this one is just NOT.

Originally Posted by Cobra1365
I ahve determined I have a different Alfred's All in One book. Some of the song's people listed aren't in mine.

Cobra, I think they are basically the same book. My understanding is that the All-in-one book is meant to be standalone, and the other book is meant to be supplemented by an additional theory and technic book that Alfred's has.

K
K
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
Khendon,
I also have the Bastien Adult Beginner series, including Musicianship for the Adult Beginner and Favorite Melodies the World Over. All 3 of these come in two volumes (levels).
I think that those, along with the Alfred's, provide the adult beginner with a wealth of material to work on.
If you're having trouble with any of the pieces, though, I'd suggest you see if you can find anyone playing what you need on YouTube. I was amazed today that someone posted a video of "Why Am I Blue" from the Alfred's book, and it was just what I needed.

Thanks for the tips Michael. The YouTube thing was a surprise to me too, but very useful, thanks. I'll continue on the books I have for the moment, but keep those others in mind for a little later on. I've literally only been playing a month, so really working on learning to read music, and taking it slowly through Alfred's, making sure i understand everything at each section and can play the piec es "passably".

It's a bit of a struggle as to how much time to spend on each piece though. I want to play them well enough that the lesson is not wasted.... but I have no interest at all in this type of music so practicing them for days on end is a struggle.

For example, the "Oh When the Saints GO Marching In" lessons served a great purpose that I could see, and helped me gain some hand independence, but the tune itself is shocking, and listening to it for 3 days trying to get it smooth and sounding passable was slightly painful.

This is why I have bought the Alfred's songbook as well, hopefully there will be some songs in there that will match my skill level and give me something to practice that is not quite as painful. If not I may get one of the other beginner series straight away to run parallel to the Alfred's one. I love the way it is structured, and written, but the pieces, argh.

The Einaudi book I have bought as my eventual goal. I'm not sure how long it will take to be able to start even the easiest piece (Limbo I believe?) without being detrimental to the learning process, but it will be sat there on the back of my piano for inspiration!

-Khen

F
F

Khen, you can use the nice Gilbert DeBenedetti web page to play more pieces
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

I have made some recordings. Any comments are welcome.

From Alfred All-In-One 1 Book

029 - I'm Gonna Lay My Burden Down
http://www.box.net/shared/3czqgocv7r

036 - Harp Song
http://www.box.net/shared/x2oyd6vvjy

037 - Liza Jane
http://www.box.net/shared/g2shaf5hqp

038 - Beautiful Brown Eyes
http://www.box.net/shared/2zfc8p7evy

039 - Alpine Melody
http://www.box.net/shared/0pj6rek4e5

040 - C Major RH
http://www.box.net/shared/8699rjuv32

042 - Waltz Time
http://www.box.net/shared/xjyftjg9ym

044 - Happy Birthday
http://www.box.net/shared/pallqxjznm

046 - Skip to My Lou
http://www.box.net/shared/3p6rnegsik

047 - Standing in the Need of Prayer
http://www.box.net/shared/kjcp3dezda

050 - Alouette
http://www.box.net/shared/lf5zlrnj5h

051 - Lavenders Blue
http://www.box.net/shared/me8l76yya3

052 - Kum-Ba_Yah
http://www.box.net/shared/ey9m11k78e

From All Time Favorites Book

003 - Ach Du Lieber Augustine
http://www.box.net/shared/79dp9ad7c2

From Alfred Teach Yourself Book

034 - Skip to My Lou v1
http://www.box.net/shared/xpbkqrq8lx

035 - Skip to My Lou v2 (Broken Chords)
http://www.box.net/shared/lcx7b5lho9

036 - The Gift to Be Simple
http://www.box.net/shared/yolxcrb5li

G
G
I'm working on Auld Lang Syne and Oh Sole Mio now. These both seemed REALLY difficult the first couple of runs, but then they both just kinda fell into place. I'm not quite up to full speed yet, but both are coming along OK, HT now, working on adding pedal in Oh Sole Mio now.

F
F
Originally Posted by Khendon

This is why I have bought the Alfred's songbook as well, hopefully there will be some songs in there that will match my skill level and give me something to practice that is not quite as painful. If not I may get one of the other beginner series straight away to run parallel to the Alfred's one. I love the way it is structured, and written, but the pieces, argh.
-Khen

I found this comment in this thread:

"Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 - 01/20/10 06:12 AM
Posted by: crusadar

I agree, a lot of the Tunes in the Alfred's methods are Naff, but they have to treated as Etudes Exercises) for developing technique. I've checked out other methods, at great cost, and the Alfred's is the best IMO. The trick is to ascertain at what level you are at then search for sheet
music at that level outside of the Alfred's methods, I'm mainly interested in Classical music so I couldn't recommend any other types of music. It's worth browsing the contents of THIS WEBSITE
(Link: http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html)"

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

F
F
Originally Posted by Khendon

-Khen

I found this comment in this thread:

"Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 - 01/20/10 06:12 AM
Posted by: crusadar

I agree, a lot of the Tunes in the Alfred's methods are Naff, but they have to treated as Etudes Exercises) for developing technique. I've checked out other methods, at great cost, and the Alfred's is the best IMO. The trick is to ascertain at what level you are at then search for sheet
music at that level outside of the Alfred's methods, I'm mainly interested in Classical music so I couldn't recommend any other types of music. It's worth browsing the contents of THIS WEBSITE
(Link: http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html)"

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

K
K
Thanks for the replies Fliper.

I am going to stick with Alfred's, but I have also purcahsed the Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1, and the Piano Handbook by Humphries to go with it.

I also got a great book for Classical music aimed at Grades 0-1 (ABRSM). With a selection of classical excerpts for solo Piano ramping up in difficulty through the book.

I think it will keep me busy for now.

Like I say I see the purpose and method behind the Alfred's books, and why they include each piece, but the pain of spending several hours working on a completely naff tune to get it to a respectable level can be quite... challenging.

However I'm finding that by spending 30 minutes on Alfred, then working on one of my simple classical pieces for 30 minutes, reading up on music theory for 30 minutes then a little more Alfred's is keeping me alot more entertained.

I'll check your recordings out when I get home from work. I also need to get to the post office and collect my copy of the Piano Handbook, as I am looking forward to diving into that.

Also working on getting a teacher, but most I have contacted require regular students with the same slot every week, which my work commitments won't allow. (sigh)

F
F
Originally Posted by Cobra1365

This is from a post of this thread:

"Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 - 09/05/10 03:04 PM
Posted by: mom3gram

Alfred Basic Adult Piano Course - has lessons and pieces to play, but you must buy a separate theory book. Levels 1,2, and 3.
Alfred Basic Adult Piano Course All-In-One - same lessons and pieces as above with the exception of maybe two or three different pieces, includes theory and exercises. Levels 1,2 and 3. (Has spiral binding with is nice because it lays flat)
Alfred Self-Teaching Piano Course - same lessons and pieces but with more explanation and study hints for each piece. Has some bonus pieces at the end of book. No spiral binding.
You can post here with any of the above, as MOST of the pieces are exactly the same."

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0882846167

http://www.amazon.com/Adult-All-One-Course-Lesson-Theory-Technic/dp/0882848186/

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739052055/

Note you can purchase the book with CD or without CD.

R
R
I'm having the hardest time getting the RH D7 down from p 63. in the AIO book. I can play the chord, but my notes don't all sound at the same time, I often pinch the C# key down on the chord with my fingers, and moving quickly into and out of the fingers close position that I'm using is challenging.

Any tricks? Suggestions? A photo of the correct hand position would be excellent, video would be even better. I've looked on youtube, but all the videos I've found are from an angle that doesn't really show how the hand needs to be positioned.

Started Playing Piano December 27 2011
Self-Teaching
Working on: Alfred's AIO - Hanon's arobic 6ths
Least Favorite thing: RH G-D7 chord transition
Play a Vintage 1992 Roland FP-8
Page 216 of 452 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission