Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2168298 - 10/18/13 11:18 PM Original Composition in G minor
MelodiesComposer09 Offline

Here's sheet music to one of my original compositions... Sorry if I have any notation errors. My composition is called Emptiness of the Moon. I believe it is in G minor. I mostly compose by ear and don't know all the "rules" but the basic chords and arpeggios. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5b37rw2osxrh1w/Emptiness%20of%20the%20Moon.pdf

Julie Code

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2168433 - 10/19/13 10:08 AM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Is there something wrong with my compositions??

Edited by MelodiesComposer09 (10/19/13 01:18 PM)

#2168440 - 10/19/13 10:34 AM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
A Guy Offline

Loc: St Louis
No, from the sheet music, from a piano students perspective, there is nothing wrong. However. Maybe you could attach a recording? And also, I think this forum is not viewed by as many people as the pianist corner. You might need to wait a little longer for a response.
Haydn Hob XVI 50 movement 1
Chopin Ballade 3
Liszt Hungarian rhapsody 8
York Bowen toccata

www.youtube.com/channel/UCKqmkVdn_41vKvDG-ELy0bg

#2168444 - 10/19/13 10:42 AM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Thanks Guy. I am so happy there's nothing wrong from your perspective. :-)

#2168446 - 10/19/13 10:49 AM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn32pmvxwazbxo4/Emptiness%20of%20the%20Moon.m4a

Here's a link to an audio.... Take note this isn't me playing it but my sheet music software playing it. I will try posting a video of me playing it but this will do for now so people know what it should sound like.

Julie Code

#2168714 - 10/19/13 11:11 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Hi Julie,

It's a nice enough work and the slight variation in the chord progression makes it worthwhile to listen and enjoy.

For the most part, it remains a little 'monotonous' due to the lack of any interest in the melody and the continuous comeback to the same little pattern in Gm (and then Cm). But the ending was very nice. A nice switch to something else, but left unexploited I think...

If you'd like to tell us about your hopes on this work (or others) I could comment further on the score and things needing to be fixed, but as it stands and without knowing what your intentions are, I'm not sure if it's of any interest.

In any case welcome and keep sharing! Remember that this is a global forum (I'm Greek for example) which means that it may take several hours to several days to get any reply. But when you do, hopefully it'll be one that's worth waiting for ! smile

#2168718 - 10/19/13 11:28 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: Nikolas]

Thanks so much Nikolas. I am glad you enjoyed this composition but I am willing to hear anything that you think needs improvement. I consider myself a professional musician as I am going to be releasing my first album soon. (Won't include this song though). I have a friend who is adding strings and drums to my compositions and using a spitfire grand piano from spitfire audio on all of my songs. I compose music from the heart and glad to be a part of this forum. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

#2168725 - 10/19/13 11:59 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Yeah I agree, it's monotonous with it going back to the Gm Cm. This song will be on a future album probably so it would be great to have your input on how to fix it. Thanks. Also remember my friend will be adding harmony to it with strings etc too. So sometimes the collaboration adds variation as well to it. I cannot post any of our collaborations on other compositions as it's soon to be released. :-)

#2168968 - 10/20/13 02:44 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Perhaps it would be more enjoyable to read your scores if you spelled notes correctly (somehow I don't really think you intended a Gb arpeggio with an augmented third and sixth, in the key of B minor) and showed the beats in rhythms. For example, in common time, your dotted quarter-dotted quarter-quarter should be written dotted quarter-eighth-quarter-quarter, with a tie between the eighth and the first quarter.

Polyphonist

#2168972 - 10/20/13 02:51 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Polyphonist,

I figured there were notation errors. Thanks. I admit I don't know how to properly notate things.. I used to have a professional do if for me but I've done it on my own lately. I am mostly self taught composer and notator I guess you can say. I will try and fix that.....

Thanks,
Julie

#2168977 - 10/20/13 03:00 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: MelodiesComposer09
Polyphonist,

I figured there were notation errors. Thanks. I admit I don't know how to properly notate things.. I used to have a professional do if for me but I've done it on my own lately. I am mostly self taught composer and notator I guess you can say. I will try and fix that.....

Thanks,
Julie

If there are sharps in a flat key or flats in a sharp key, that should always be a red flag. Go back and check to make sure you really intended what you wrote.

Polyphonist

#2168989 - 10/20/13 03:17 PM Re: Original Composition in G minor [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Polyphonist,

All I see are natural signs and some flatted notes like g flats accidentals for example. Or d flat accidentals. Then there are natural signs as well that are accidentals. To tell you the truth I had two years of piano lessons... I only consider myself Profressional because making music is what I love to do and my upcoming album I had help from a professional with strings and drums added to my compositions. I guess that this is not the right place for me.... I appreciate your input but I probably won't understand what you're saying. Thanks all the same though.

Julie

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (angga888, anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1443 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158392 Topics
2325874 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission