2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
eccp19 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Good morning,

I will be giving my second studio recital in a week and have a couple questions:

1)I have 23 students each playing 2-3 pieces (most combined time is less than 3 minutes). Should applause be withheld until the student completes the last piece? Or is applause between pieces better.

2)A handful of student's pieces require the teacher duet. which of the following is preferable?

Johnny Q's Pieces
"Indians" (no duet)
"Bells" (w/ teacher duet)

OR

Johnny Q's Pieces
"Bells" (w/teacher duet)
"Indians"

Does it matter? My thinking is how I will exit smoothly if the teacher duet piece is first up.

3)How do you seat your students? Should they be behind the stage? Sitting in the front row in program order? (I tend to think the latter)

If there is anything else that might be an issue, please bring it up. Thanks!

Last edited by eccp19; 10/19/13 10:52 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What effect do these choices have on a student? Might a duet help the student overcome his nervousness, making it easier to do the solo piece afterward? Will applause throw the student, or will it give him a chance to catch his breath and regroup for the next piece?

N
N
I agree with KeyString it matters per each student! Sometimes the applause will make them more nervous.
Although, I my first response would be place teacher duet at the end and that will allow you to save the student if they have any errors.

Also YES seat the students in program order to allow the show to flow a lot smoother.

M
M
Originally Posted by eccp19
Good morning,

I will be giving my second studio recital in a week and have a couple questions:

1)I have 23 students each playing 2-3 pieces (most combined time is less than 3 minutes). Should applause be withheld until the student completes the last piece? Or is applause between pieces better.

I wouldn't bother trying to enforce anything like that. Most likely the audience will clap anyways, or half of them will, be embarrassed as they remember they weren't supposed to, etc. Inform your students to smile to the audience and nod their thanks in between, then give a full bow after their final piece.
2)A handful of student's pieces require the teacher duet. which of the following is preferable?

Johnny Q's Pieces
"Indians" (no duet)
"Bells" (w/ teacher duet)

OR

Johnny Q's Pieces
"Bells" (w/teacher duet)
"Indians"

Does it matter? My thinking is how I will exit smoothly if the teacher duet piece is first up.

3)How do you seat your students? Should they be behind the stage? Sitting in the front row in program order? (I tend to think the latter)

If there is anything else that might be an issue, please bring it up. Thanks!
I doubt it matters much, but if you are last then you will have to take the bow with the student. Have a chair near the piano so you can easily go there to play rather than take time walking from where everyone else is seated.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Have a chair near the piano so you can easily go there to play rather than take time walking from where everyone else is seated.

That's a good idea, Morodiene. Do you sit in the chair just through that student's pieces, or through the whole recital?

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Regarding the clapping: let them clap. They'll want to.

Seating: front row works best in most halls. But if it's a big climb to the stage then backstage might be better.

M
M
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Have a chair near the piano so you can easily go there to play rather than take time walking from where everyone else is seated.

That's a good idea, Morodiene. Do you sit in the chair just through that student's pieces, or through the whole recital?
It depends. I also have voice students that I accompany, so for me to sit in the front row that would be a lot of up and down. So I sit in the chair the whole time.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by musicpassion

It depends. I also have voice students that I accompany, so for me to sit in the front row that would be a lot of up and down. So I sit in the chair the whole time.

Ok thanks.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission