Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2170604 - 10/23/13 12:19 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Minnesota Marty]
toyboy Offline

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
....snip....
Let us not discount "I killed a wabbit," "Fantasia," or Buggs Bunny as the Maestro.

Inspiration and attraction lies only around the corner. Kindling that little spark is the responsibility of all those who cherish the worth of classical music.

i like your thoughts marty. but it gave me one bad one. do you understand what it could mean if lang lang and bugs bunny are successful in inspiring interest in classical piano music? suddenly 1000's upon 1000's of others will join piano world wanting to share their own opinions, and the threads will reach into untold numbers of pages, and hitherto unexplored controversies. i think it is in the moderator's best interest to keep the popularity of this music to a bare minimum.

just sayin'. wink

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2170619 - 10/23/13 12:43 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
toyboy,

Good idea. Let's keep it secret.

We need a hush-hush code word to get in. That, and a secret handshake.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2170705 - 10/23/13 03:44 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Nikolas]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
I so wish to be as successful and get my own thread of fighting in PW! grin Wouldn't that be awesome?

Take care in what you wish for Mr. Nikolas.

But if that thread were to appear on PW it would be endless troubles as we ladies discussed whether you were musical, tall, handsome, thoughtful and intelligent or limited to merely musical, helpful, interesting, intelligent and cute!

#2170719 - 10/23/13 04:00 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
Minnesota Marty Offline

May I assume there is a hidden discussion of 'toyboy?'

#2170782 - 10/23/13 06:11 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: bennevis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: bennevis
And Tomasina (or whatever he/she's called)? grin

Tommasini is his last name and his first name is Anthony.

I realize that you are having some difficulties with acculturation and gender identity, but would suggest that you tread lightly in this area. Better yet, avoid it entirely.

Are you having some problem with humor failure recently?

When it comes to homophobic jibes, yes.

Quote:

And what have you got against Lisitsa? You defend some faceless critic to the hilt (who's of course immune to any criticism, as that's not going to impact on his earnings) and criticize a pianist - not just her playing, but her musicianship - who has done more to further the cause of classical piano in recent years than almost anyone else. Certainly more than any so-called critic, including yourself.

Read your own posts, before posting any riposte. Better still, don't.

What I have got against Lisitsa is her intemperate fans, who make ludicrous proclamations that she's beyond any criticism. Well, you may see her as coated in Teflon, but that doesn't mean anyone else does.

Incidentally, I can't think of any pianist whose musicianship is beyond question. That sort of perfection just doesn't exist in this world, although there may be a few who approach it; Lisitsa isn't one of them.

And after this post, you will be blissfully free of responses from me, because I won't be reading any more of your posts, either in this thread or elsewhere here at PW.

#2170793 - 10/23/13 06:34 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Minnesota Marty]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Inspiration and attraction lies only around the corner. Kindling that little spark is the responsibility of all those who cherish the worth of classical music.

I'm perfectly happy to "kindle that little spark" with people who are interested, and have done that whenever the opportunity comes up, but I don't believe in proselytizing.

It's the "do unto others" thing - I don't like it when people try to sell their enthusiasms to me when I am not interested, and I try not to do that to others.

I also don't get why "responsibility" enters the picture. People are free to do whatever they want in regards to classical music, AFAIAC.

#2170795 - 10/23/13 06:35 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
Minnesota Marty Offline

wr,

Is being obtuse a chronic condition for you?

#2170796 - 10/23/13 06:35 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: wr]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
What I have got against Lisitsa is her intemperate fans, who make ludicrous proclamations that she's beyond any criticism. Well, you may see her as coated in Teflon, but that doesn't mean anyone else does.

Incidentally, I can't think of any pianist whose musicianship is beyond question. That sort of perfection just doesn't exist in this world, although there may be a few who approach it; Lisitsa isn't one of them.
I don't see how one can reasonably hold behavior of Lisitsa's fans against her.

Saying that no pianist's musicianship is beyond question is far different from what some posters in the thread said...that Lisitsa was lacking in musicianship.

#2170799 - 10/23/13 06:37 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: wr]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

[quote=
And after this post, you will be blissfully free of responses from me, because I won't be reading any more of your posts, either in this thread or elsewhere here at PW.

Good riddance.

No, don't bother to reply. wink

#2170803 - 10/23/13 06:43 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Minnesota Marty]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Is being obtuse a chronic condition for you?

Are ad hominem attacks your only mode of expression?

#2170804 - 10/23/13 06:45 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: wr]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Incidentally, I can't think of any pianist whose musicianship is beyond question.

Incidentally, I can't even think of what this means.

I'll speak with a dead composer and maybe I shall find the true light.

#2170812 - 10/23/13 07:04 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Minnesota Marty]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Incidentally, I can't think of any pianist whose musicianship is beyond question.

Incidentally, I can't even think of what this means.

I'll speak with a dead composer and maybe I shall find the true light.

Just trolling along, eh?

Sorry, not interested.

#2170815 - 10/23/13 07:13 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Old Man]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Old Man

When I said "critics", I was really talking about the critics right here at PW. Open up a Lang Lang thread and see what you get. Endless sniping and snarky comments about his leather pants and his smoke machine and his marketing, etc. It's perfectly fine to criticize his "La Campanella", but to go on and on about his clothes, his emoting at the piano, etc. is, I believe, born of a sense of injustice: Why does LL get all the packed houses and the fame and adulation, when so-and-so is a far superior musician?

By the way, I think it's worth pointing out that there are a variety of "critics" of LL here and not all of them talk about that extraneous stuff (actually, I think relatively few of them do), but instead talk about his actual playing. The worst playing from him I ever heard was in a radio broadcast, where I didn't see him at all.

#2170818 - 10/23/13 07:25 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: wr]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Old Man

When I said "critics", I was really talking about the critics right here at PW. Open up a Lang Lang thread and see what you get. Endless sniping and snarky comments about his leather pants and his smoke machine and his marketing, etc. It's perfectly fine to criticize his "La Campanella", but to go on and on about his clothes, his emoting at the piano, etc. is, I believe, born of a sense of injustice: Why does LL get all the packed houses and the fame and adulation, when so-and-so is a far superior musician?

By the way, I think it's worth pointing out that there are a variety of "critics" of LL here and not all of them talk about that extraneous stuff (actually, I think relatively few of them do), but instead talk about his actual playing. The worst playing from him I ever heard was in a radio broadcast, where I didn't see him at all.

The smoke machines are particularly ludicrous. How can one respect a musician who does things like this?

Polyphonist

#2170830 - 10/23/13 08:06 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

The smoke machines are particularly ludicrous. How can one respect a musician who does things like this?

Well, that one is easy enough to answer...just don't attend the kind of events where they are used and you won't be bothered by them. Or you shouldn't be, IMO.

#2170847 - 10/23/13 08:43 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: TimV]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TimV

Op. 32 #12: The sound was too "hard." I don't necessarily think the 16th note figuration needs to sound like Ondine, but it shouldn't sound like a toccata either.

Her tone was an issue for a reviewer of a recent Rach 3 she did in the UK, too. He said "Her technique is sufficient to enable her to play the notes but not to produce depth of tone at anything above mezzo-forte, with the result that much of the music sounded brittle to the point of ugliness. I winced at several moments of attack."

So maybe her technique is not "beyond question", either.

#2170894 - 10/23/13 10:22 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: wr]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA

Well, that one is easy enough to answer...just don't attend the kind of events where they are used and you won't be bothered by them. Or you shouldn't be, IMO.

Exactly. As I said, LL performs in two different worlds. When he is playing with orchestras, he is not much different than any other pianist. You may not like his interpretation, but he's perfectly comfortable in, and respectful of, what I'd call the "traditional" world of classical music.

The smoke machines and black leather are reserved for the hoi polloi (to use bennevis' term). He is not trying to preach to the choir (us), and he has no expectation that you or I would even show up at such events. His goal is to attract a younger crowd who are not well versed in classical music, but who may give some consideration to a piece by Chopin or Liszt simply because they're geeked by the charismatic performer.

This is not rocket science. If you want the "serious" Lang Lang, see him when he's playing with the New York Philharmonic, the Philadelphia, the Cleveland, etc. I guarantee you won't be seeing any smoke machines, and you may actually enjoy the performance. For all other events, stay away.

#2170930 - 10/23/13 11:45 PM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
[...] The smoke machines are particularly ludicrous. How can one respect a musician who does things like this?

Does anyone know how much actual control a musician like Lang Lang or, say, Yanni (I know, I know... just stick with me for this particular question...) how much control they have regarding the production of their "show"?

Along those lines, when Valentina was here in Rockford, I asked her how much say she had over her program. Basically, she said something like, "not as much as one might think." "Management" had its say, she said, and at the time, she indicated that she was looking forward to playing something besides Liszt when the anniversary year had passed.

Sometimes I think we forget that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes at that level of performance, and that the person at the piano faces certain pressures beyond what we see and hear them do on stage.

--Andy

#2172175 - 10/26/13 03:42 AM Re: October 19th - Valentina Lisitsa at 92Y [Re: Polyphonist]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Put yourself in the position or a concert series promoter, particularly in a composers' centennial year. Even of a parochial music club.
If they left the programs entirely to the whim of the players, they are likely to get a very narrow variety of fare.

Now put yourself in the position of artistic director of a music festival with 3-4 concerts and lectures every day of the week(s), all attended by the same audiences. . They often have to arrange cycles of concerts on various themes to the extent that the programs are pre-arranged and then the musicians are sought out who can play it.

Eschew obfuscation.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, ABC Vermonter, Acevle, ajames, 38 invisible), 1685 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156313 Topics
2295734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission