2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Here's sheet music to one of my original compositions... Sorry if I have any notation errors. My composition is called Emptiness of the Moon. I believe it is in G minor. I mostly compose by ear and don't know all the "rules" but the basic chords and arpeggios. Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5b37rw2osxrh1w/Emptiness%20of%20the%20Moon.pdf

Julie Code

M
OP Offline
M
Is there something wrong with my compositions??

Last edited by MelodiesComposer09; 10/19/13 01:18 PM.
A
A
No, from the sheet music, from a piano students perspective, there is nothing wrong. However. Maybe you could attach a recording? And also, I think this forum is not viewed by as many people as the pianist corner. You might need to wait a little longer for a response.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Guy. I am so happy there's nothing wrong from your perspective. :-)

M
OP Offline
M
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn32pmvxwazbxo4/Emptiness%20of%20the%20Moon.m4a

Here's a link to an audio.... Take note this isn't me playing it but my sheet music software playing it. I will try posting a video of me playing it but this will do for now so people know what it should sound like.

Julie Code

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Julie,

It's a nice enough work and the slight variation in the chord progression makes it worthwhile to listen and enjoy.

For the most part, it remains a little 'monotonous' due to the lack of any interest in the melody and the continuous comeback to the same little pattern in Gm (and then Cm). But the ending was very nice. A nice switch to something else, but left unexploited I think...

If you'd like to tell us about your hopes on this work (or others) I could comment further on the score and things needing to be fixed, but as it stands and without knowing what your intentions are, I'm not sure if it's of any interest.

In any case welcome and keep sharing! Remember that this is a global forum (I'm Greek for example) which means that it may take several hours to several days to get any reply. But when you do, hopefully it'll be one that's worth waiting for ! smile

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks so much Nikolas. I am glad you enjoyed this composition but I am willing to hear anything that you think needs improvement. I consider myself a professional musician as I am going to be releasing my first album soon. (Won't include this song though). I have a friend who is adding strings and drums to my compositions and using a spitfire grand piano from spitfire audio on all of my songs. I compose music from the heart and glad to be a part of this forum. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

M
OP Offline
M
Yeah I agree, it's monotonous with it going back to the Gm Cm. This song will be on a future album probably so it would be great to have your input on how to fix it. Thanks. Also remember my friend will be adding harmony to it with strings etc too. So sometimes the collaboration adds variation as well to it. I cannot post any of our collaborations on other compositions as it's soon to be released. :-)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps it would be more enjoyable to read your scores if you spelled notes correctly (somehow I don't really think you intended a Gb arpeggio with an augmented third and sixth, in the key of B minor) and showed the beats in rhythms. For example, in common time, your dotted quarter-dotted quarter-quarter should be written dotted quarter-eighth-quarter-quarter, with a tie between the eighth and the first quarter.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
OP Offline
M
Polyphonist,

I figured there were notation errors. Thanks. I admit I don't know how to properly notate things.. I used to have a professional do if for me but I've done it on my own lately. I am mostly self taught composer and notator I guess you can say. I will try and fix that.....

Thanks,
Julie

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MelodiesComposer09
Polyphonist,

I figured there were notation errors. Thanks. I admit I don't know how to properly notate things.. I used to have a professional do if for me but I've done it on my own lately. I am mostly self taught composer and notator I guess you can say. I will try and fix that.....

Thanks,
Julie

If there are sharps in a flat key or flats in a sharp key, that should always be a red flag. Go back and check to make sure you really intended what you wrote.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
OP Offline
M
Polyphonist,

All I see are natural signs and some flatted notes like g flats accidentals for example. Or d flat accidentals. Then there are natural signs as well that are accidentals. To tell you the truth I had two years of piano lessons... I only consider myself Profressional because making music is what I love to do and my upcoming album I had help from a professional with strings and drums added to my compositions. I guess that this is not the right place for me.... I appreciate your input but I probably won't understand what you're saying. Thanks all the same though.

Julie

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission