2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anadyr21
I haven't noticed any structural changes in my hands. However, I've had a number of people mention how defined the muscles of my forearm are. Not large, just very defined, as these muscles would affect wrist movement. I know some of it is related to the fact that I'm also very lean and thin, which makes it much easier to see overall muscle definition.

Ditto.
Except the muscle along the 5th-finger edge of my palm grew. Also maybe the muscle between thumb and 2nd finger.

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...I have the impression that my fingers have become thinner, more bony, after I started to practice the piano again..."

This happens to everyone who gets older, JanVan, except, maybe, people who have very fat hands.

Are you sure? The opposite has happened to me.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Since I am a piano technician/rebuilder and an amateur pianist-my fingers have gotten thicker and my grip stays strong for my age-because of using tools both powered and not. Also I have calluses thick enough to be able to take hot potatoes from the oven without gloves.

When my hands tire from holding tools, a piano playing break relieves the tightness.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yuppers, your hands will get more muscular and articulate - if you're doing it right...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
The only bad change I have experienced was after practicing many hours of Godowsky-Chopin pieces, after which I noted that my thumb and little finger of my left hand had switched places. ... So no more Godowsky for me.

That's scary. Was it something too advanced? I know students can actually do damage to their hands/arms by taking on things that are beyond their technique. My "wake-up call" was when I started to grow a 6th finger on the side of each hand when practicing a Chopin etude overly zealously. When I started acting on the teacher's advice (instead of just saying, "yeah, uh-huh, right" and then forgetting about it during the week) the extra digits began to be resorbed back into the hand. Proper technique is *so* important. Well, I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who has suffered something like that.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by cefinow
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
The only bad change I have experienced was after practicing many hours of Godowsky-Chopin pieces, after which I noted that my thumb and little finger of my left hand had switched places. ... So no more Godowsky for me.

That's scary. Was it something too advanced? I know students can actually do damage to their hands/arms by taking on things that are beyond their technique. My "wake-up call" was when I started to grow a 6th finger on the side of each hand when practicing a Chopin etude overly zealously. When I started acting on the teacher's advice (instead of just saying, "yeah, uh-huh, right" and then forgetting about it during the week) the extra digits began to be resorbed back into the hand. Proper technique is *so* important. Well, I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who has suffered something like that.

The Chopin études have been known for their unique effects on the fingers from the earliest days: the contemporary critic Ludwig Rellstab (renowned for giving a certain Beethoven piano sonata the nickname by which it's now universally known) wrote: "Those who have twisted fingers may cure them by practising these Études; but those who have not should not play them, not unless they have a surgeon handy."

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission