2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2168430 10/19/13 09:57 AM
B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
It struck me quite a long time ago that I wonder if there is anyone who digs deeply into evaluating how competitions work, how well (or badly) they are run, if judges seem fair and reliable, and so on. As many of us young musicians end up going to some of them, we sometimes discover a bit too late that certain things seem to be made up in advance, that a competition does not adhere to its own rules etc etc - I have seen all of this in the past, and more. Many times have I thought that there SHOULD exist some sort of network for young musicians, exchanging information and experiences, both good and bad. I have also at times thought that revealing certain dealings of jury members to the public would be a very just thing to do. What is everyone's thoughts on the matter?

I may also add that these thoughts have nothing to do with my most recent competition participation - it all seems to have been a very fair process from what I understood. I also happened to win it, and am now scheduled to tour with Ravel left hand concerto in early 2014 laugh

Last edited by fnork; 10/19/13 09:58 AM.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, fnork! Well, first of all, congratulations are in order -- those that have listened to your recordings are certainly not totally surprised by this turn of events. And, the left-hand Concerto is IMO one of Ravel's best works, if not in fact his very best, and so it's great to hear that this is your tour "vehicle".

I can only respond to your query in very general terms: since there now seem to be just SO MANY competitions available, and that competition participation is an increasingly necessary component to a career in piano performance, the time probably IS ripe to provide a compendium of assessments for each competition's focus and expectation. I don't think aspiring pianists have the luxury to waste time and energy on competitions not pitched to his/her strengths, and I think it IS possible to provide specific information regarding this -- or, if a given competition seems inconsistent and/or political -- to provide THAT assessment. Who's going to compile this? I don't know -- but it feels like that needs to come predominantly from the network of the aspiring pianists themselves.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Toutes mes félicitations!!!!!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
CONGRATS!!

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Big congrats -- and really, you shouldn't 'hide' it like that! ha

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Big congrats -- and really, you shouldn't 'hide' it like that! ha

Ha, I simply wanted to stay on topic, without getting too much focus on the hidden bit, but thanks everyone! Now, back to discussing other competitions laugh

I kind of feel the same way as Tim - this probably can be done simply by young pianists themselves, creating a network of some sort. A pianist friend of mine participated in making a movie about competitions, I know endless amounts of pianists who have taken part - this could be a good start...

Last edited by fnork; 10/20/13 03:45 AM.
Congratulations! That should be a lot of fun. How long is the "tour?"

I wonder if there is anyone who digs deeply into evaluating how competitions work, how well (or badly) they are run, if judges seem fair and reliable, and so on.

I am currently heading a committee that organizes a small scholarship audition, so I can tell you that the issues that you raise are the same ones we grapple with. And this is just a small event for ages 12-19.

We are working to ensure that our judges have no conflicts, that our rules are clear to the applicants and to the judges, and that we follow them transparently. Fairness is important. We must act fairly, and the process must be perceived as fair. That's essential for drawing the best applicants into the event.

B
biska Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Congratulations! That should be a lot of fun. How long is the "tour?"
3 concerts with orchestra in early February, in Sweden and Norway, including the Grieg hall in Bergen!

I am currently heading a committee that organizes a small scholarship audition, so I can tell you that the issues that you raise are the same ones we grapple with. And this is just a small event for ages 12-19.

We are working to ensure that our judges have no conflicts, that our rules are clear to the applicants and to the judges, and that we follow them transparently. Fairness is important. We must act fairly, and the process must be perceived as fair. That's essential for drawing the best applicants into the event.

Sounds very good that you're in the committee then, considering how dedicated you are to transparency and fairness! I have seen the opposite so many times in competitions, and I'm getting tired. Also in smaller events, like how local scholarships are being handed out. I know a case where smaller scholarships were given out by one academy, ranging from 700 to 2500 euros. Only one student (a violinist) got the sum 2500 euros, and she was at that time in a relationship with her teacher (a young and newly appointed teacher), who together with HIS teacher were mainly responsible for selecting who gets scholarships among the violinists in the school...

That's called …. corruption. mad

We have $6,000 to $7,000 to give out, plus a summer camp scholarship to a great program. We spread the money rather than concentrating it on a big winner, and we want professional judges who are from a bit outside of our geography, so that they do not know the students or most of the teachers. In addition, the students come on stage without being named. As far as the judges are concerned, they have a number only. That's why it's really helpful to get judges who do not know the area.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission