2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So, at 57 I am only a boy. What a thought.

I got a low end Chinese DP. The school music department hasn't missed it yet I am pleased to say.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"I got a low end Chinese DP. The school music department hasn't missed it yet I am pleased to say."

You`ve taken it home for a quick "service" . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
So, at 57 I am only a boy. What a thought.

I got a low end Chinese DP. The school music department hasn't missed it yet I am pleased to say.

They might be thankful. Praising God. Hallelujah! smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
Leel - that's great to hear - and you're right, we're only 'too old' if we believe that.

M
M
Jilski,
I too am a digital geek. You will find Excel spreadsheets a wonderful tool for recording your practice sessions, giving you automatic percentages for how far you've progressed through a book etc. Why, you can even have rows in your spreadsheet that light up red & let you know when you haven't practised something for a week! Yes, indeed, digital geekiness & piano go hand in hand.

M
M
Jilski,

As you can see by all the replies, the limitations you face are few but the rewards are many.

A point worth noting is that there can be significant medical benefits as well. As my Username indicates, piano is my scrip. Since taking up the piano a couple of years ago my blood pressure has dropped to the point where I have been weaned off the BP meds by my doctor. (In fact, he was inspired, by my results, to return to the piano himself. He had taken lessons for several years in his youth.) I find the piano to be most relaxing and actually enjoy practicing. I can get lost in playing and before I know it, a couple of hours has passed and I feel great.

It is also a great way to keep your mind and eye hand coordination sharp. Countless studies indicate that the study of music will enhance your cognitive skills. I have experienced a definite increase in memory capability since taking up the piano.

Like you, I cannot sing but love music... always have. I was not able to devote the time until my retirement. I realize I will never be a concert pianist and play solely for my own enjoyment and for the challenge. You will have good days and bad days but such is life in all matters.

You may have to change teachers a few times as not all of them are good with adult students. No big deal. If you can find one that has a significant adult roster that is probably a good sign.

Enjoy the journey and welcome to PW!

C
C
I am 55 and have wanted to learn to play for a long time. This spring, while at an auction, I saw a beautiful upright. I was determined to purchase it. But as the auction day grew closer, I researched and researched until I determined that an acoustic was not the best choice for me. The place in my house where it would fit (because of it's size) is an unheated sunroom, prone to wide temperature changes. It would need very frequent tunings. Plus with a digital I could put it in my living room and not bother anyone with my practice (I use headphones most of the time). Also being able to play midi files on my piano would make self-instruction so much easier. SO I bought a Yamaha Clavinova and started. I found a very good teacher and have one 30 minute lesson per week on an acoustic. There is a huge difference between my piano and the one I have my lessons on, but I am still very happy with my choice.

I started learning in April. I am in the Alfred 2nd book now, I can play the first two parts of Fur Elise, I can play most of a pretty complicated jazz piece and I know how much more quickly I can read music now. I am progressing quite well....better than I expected. I am so happy that I finally did this. I very much enjoy it and I know you will too!

Yamaha CLP 440 Delivered on April 16 2013
Started playing piano April 16 2013
Well done! Keep it up . . we want to hear you when you`re ready . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I live on campus, so have just moved it a couple of hundred metres.

I wonder if they would miss the grand from the auditorium.
Originally Posted by peterws
"I got a low end Chinese DP. The school music department hasn't missed it yet I am pleased to say."

You`ve taken it home for a quick "service" . . . .

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
Jilski Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Monday morning I have my first piano lesson! Really hoping we click and I want to continue to work with him. In the meantime, I've been using Steve's Fur Elise tutorial (thank you so much for this!) and loving it. For the past few days when I get up in the morning I immediately sit down at the piano to see if I remember what I've memorized from the day before. Playing these first few notes that I've learned is incredibly exciting. Life begins at 65!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good for you! Hearing your excitement is a lot of fun!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That incredible elated feeling you have is what drives me. Its what I call "scared". No one can take it from you!

Enjoy!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Happy for your excitement. Beware, when you get half way through that book. You will slow way down. The reason is to develop the nervous system to play both hands, all ten fingers at once. That is something most of us have never had before. It has to be created.
So start taking care of yourself a little better. A little exercise, a little better eating. Because your body will need to grow. Grow in sophistication of your autonomic mind, nervous system, and muscles.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good for you, Jill. I think you'll have a blast.

I'm happy for you but just one teensy word of advice or caution; playing piano is like good hair days and bad hair days. There will be days when everything falls into place, you feel good about your progress but then the next day everything falls apart. Don't get discouraged when it happens. Just keep plugging along and it will all gel again eventually.

The other day when I sat down to play I could have sworn my piano was way out of tune from the day before. But since it's a digital I knew it was my ears and not the piano. Crazy, huh?

Have fun!

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Okie.

I'm printing this thread, for future reference! I'm 36 and not a beginner, of any sort, so I don't really belong here, but this thread caught my eye, exactly because of all the love into it!

It was a very fine read for me and I can only imagine what it must be like for Jill!

Welcome Jill and enjoy your new (probably) life lasting passion! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission