Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2168304 - 10/18/13 11:50 PM Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition)
MelodiesComposer09 Offline

Hello. Here's another composition I wrote... Sounds kinda like Christmas so I named it Santa's Bon Voyage. Hope you guys enjoy and let me know what you think.

Julie Code

https://www.dropbox.com/s/64w2j88obnq9k58/Santa%27s%20Bon%20Voyage-1.pdf

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2168434 - 10/19/13 10:09 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by MelodiesComposer09 (10/19/13 01:17 PM)

#2169317 - 10/21/13 08:25 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
stalefleas Offline

No audio?

#2169321 - 10/21/13 08:30 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Measure 36? You've got to be kidding me. It took me about five seconds to figure out what those notes are.

Polyphonist

#2169358 - 10/21/13 09:48 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Polyphonist,

If it took you 5 seconds then why do you care? You just like putting people down.

Julie

#2169359 - 10/21/13 09:49 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Stale fleas, I can upload one soon here... Let me work on a recording for you,

#2169366 - 10/21/13 09:58 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Polyphonist,

Look on the bright side at least I am writing my music down even if they're errors it's worth it to me. Sorry if I've disappointed you with my transcribing skills. I used to have Robert King from truepianotranscriptions.com do it for me.

Julie

#2169379 - 10/21/13 10:28 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: MelodiesComposer09
Polyphonist,

If it took you 5 seconds then why do you care? You just like putting people down.

Julie
he does that a lot...

You'll need to either:
a. Ignore
b. Flame/troll back
c. Grab what's useful from his post and try to re-read it from a new perspective.

Personally, I prefer c. In this case what Polyphonist is saying is that he did that so quickly, because it's rather easy, so he's in fact encouraging you to study a bit more and find some time to work out those errors...

smile

#2169387 - 10/21/13 10:38 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5w1cttnwdwm0u5/Santa%27s%20Bon%20Voyage.m4a

Here's a recording.. I played it with iGrand on my iPad hooked up to my digital piano. Not the best sound or recording but this is what it should sound like.

#2169391 - 10/21/13 10:41 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Thanks Nikolas,

I agree with you. His info can be used to help me. I am trying to get along with him. :-) how should I rewrite the "run of notes" maybe with an 8va to half of them so it won't be so many ledger lines???

#2169400 - 10/21/13 10:54 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Julie,

First of all try and make your audio files into mp3 ones instead of m4a.. I can playback them fine, but maybe a few won't be able to so... better be "safe than sorry".

Now, on the work itself first of all.

I think it's a nice little "doodle" (meaning nothing bad with this work). It's got a nice round form that works well (A-A-B-A') and then it ends. It's quick and right to the point.

There are a few things that seem to be mostly instinctive rather than thought out, but due to your lack of experience your instinct is not working at its full capacity. Some things (especially the "B" theme) is not "square" enough. Usually music moves in 4,8,16 etc. In this case this is broken, or at least sounds broken, which feels weird, right after the nice "A" theme.

On the score now, here's a few pointers, to help you going:

a. You ARE allowed to change clef in any of the staves. You could have two tremble clefs, or two bass clefts, for all the pianists care. How else can you have music played high with both hands?

b. And you ARE allowed to change clef in the middle of a bar.

So the very first few bars, in the LH (left hand) should be notated in the tremble clef. All the notes of the D major chord are above the middle C, so there's no reason to keep it at the bass clef.

Same goes for that 16th run, which goes WAY up. Just change clef and you;re done!

c. You do not have to notate every pedal instruction, especially if it's 'traditionally' in every bar. Playback WILL be affected, but any pianist will know how to use pedalling in this case.

d. You do not have to put the same tempo marking more than once, if nothing's changed. Apart the one in bar 1, the rest need to be deleted.

e. Once you change clef in the bass, you will be able to center the dynamics

f. Add articulations and slurs. You play things in a legato mode mostly, so show the pianist how to phrase things and what to play legato and what not!

That's about all the general comments I can give, without actually proof reading your score... wink

Hope they will be of aid!

#2169413 - 10/21/13 11:09 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Thanks so much Nikolas! Very informative and I will have to rework the score. I may even contact my transcriptionist and see how he could help me. He usually reworks my compositions. I do mostly everything by instinct and had a couple years of lessons in middle school and have played music for a long time since I am 31 years old. But it's something I definitely love doing and maybe some day I'd love to get more lessons in or even a teacher in composition to help me. But your advice will get me on the right track before I contact my transcriptionist.

Julie Code

#2169417 - 10/21/13 11:18 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Before you're forced to pay up, upload here again your efforts. I've no idea if i'll have the time to offer anything useful again (probably will, but can't promise), but this is a community, so more people will join in and help out.

And see how you can help out others as well! smile

#2169422 - 10/21/13 11:28 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Nikolas,

My transcriber doesn't charge anything... But he does get 50% of my sales on the sheet music. But yes, I will try and upload here first... Thanks!!!

Julie Code

#2169425 - 10/21/13 11:30 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Oh and I use notion on my iPad by the way for your information :-)

#2169426 - 10/21/13 11:30 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Polyphonist,

Julie
he does that a lot...

You'll need to either:
a. Ignore
b. Flame/troll back
c. Grab what's useful from his post and try to re-read it from a new perspective.

Personally, I prefer c. In this case what Polyphonist is saying is that he did that so quickly, because it's rather easy, so he's in fact encouraging you to study a bit more and find some time to work out those errors...

smile

You are both misunderstanding me. 5 seconds is a very LONG time...in other words, the notes are unreadable with that many leger lines.

Polyphonist

#2169432 - 10/21/13 11:38 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: Polyphonist]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Polyphonist,

Julie
he does that a lot...

You'll need to either:
a. Ignore
b. Flame/troll back

smile

You are both misunderstanding me. 5 seconds is a very LONG time...in other words, the notes are unreadable with that many leger lines.
whoops.

I now see what you mean.

Sorry.

#2169443 - 10/21/13 11:51 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You could have two tremble clefs, or two bass clefts, for all the pianists care.

So the very first few bars, in the LH (left hand) should be notated in the tremble clef.

Tremble clef?

Bass clefts?

grin

Polyphonist

#2169448 - 10/21/13 11:55 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

This is what happens when I'm tpying (<-this is on purpose) too quickly... :P

#2169454 - 10/21/13 12:05 PM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sorry, nice try, but you said "tremble clef" twice. grin

Polyphonist

#2169458 - 10/21/13 12:11 PM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: Polyphonist]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Sorry, nice try, but you said "tremble clef" twice. grin
By all means...

I'm not saying that I missed a key, but that I had no time to think about spelling at that point... Remember... me Greek you not... wink

And in any case, what does all this have to do with this thread, and Julie? As far as I'm concerned I helped Julie and gave her a few ideas... What about you? grin

#2169466 - 10/21/13 12:15 PM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvxlnaua5tdcbl9/Santa%27s%20Bon%20Voyage.pdf

Here's a new file. I tried fixing something's you guys mentioned... I am not sure how to continue the run of 16th notes but I did change clefs like you said and hopefully it's looking a little bit better. I am not sure if I notated things right. I know you're supposed to group notes a certain way but never understood how to do that.

#2169481 - 10/21/13 12:31 PM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

that's much better already! Well done!

The one thing that you need to ponder is "pulse". Each time signature (each rhythm pretty much) has its own pulse: In this case the 4/4 you have have a pulse (beat) every quarter.

So you need to make clear when every beat comes in and try not to break it unnecessarily.

For example in bar 4 and 21 you have a tied B in the right hand that could simply be a quarter note.

And you can also use dotted note values, if it's something simple. I mean a dotted quarter is something simple to handle. You don't need to notate it as a quarter - tied to - an eight.

Hope the above are clear?

#2169551 - 10/21/13 02:44 PM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Thanks Nikolas! Yes that is clear and that was what I was unsure about... Thank you for clearing it up for me.... When I get free time I will upload a new score to Santa's Bon Voyage.

#2169939 - 10/22/13 09:07 AM Re: Santa's Bon Voyage (Original Piano Composition) [Re: MelodiesComposer09]

Here's a new score to Santa's Bon Voyage..... Hopefully things are looking better!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk1ybpydndi9rho/Santa%27s%20Bon%20Voyage%20%281%29.pdf

Now about the B part, Nikolas can you give me suggestions to make it better?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, aesop, *windowlicker*, 36251, 38 invisible), 1134 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157152 Topics
2307994 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
08/29/14 05:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission