Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2169948 - 10/22/13 09:46 AM New Kawai CA65!!!
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
I've been hunting a new piano for a while now and am so happy I managed to get a great deal for a new CA65!!! They are taking my old CL25, extending the warranty and free delivery and installation, which is great. Will update the prices paid thread when I get it.

It is obviously over my initial limit of 1K GBP, but I had issues with the connections of the CN24 which I really liked otherwise so I was looking at a CN34. I know that I would have been extremely happy with it, but I managed to negotiate a good deal with the CA65 and I think this model will take me to all my playing levels.

When I tried it I was so amazed at the touch and response of the real wood keys, and the sound was very nice, I don't expect to use any additional software for it.

So I'm now sleepless waiting to get it in a couple days! Photos to follow smile

3hearts

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2169951 - 10/22/13 09:59 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
And the recordings. We must have the recordings . . . .

""

#2169952 - 10/22/13 10:01 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Psychonaut Offline

Awesome! I really want to check out this wooden key business and see what I'm missing. I hope you get many years of growth and enjoyment from it!

#2169998 - 10/22/13 11:27 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
Congrats Evamar, I love my CA65 and I hope yours will bring you as much pleasure smile

Jean-Luc

#2170063 - 10/22/13 01:09 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Just picked up a CA-65 this month myself...had to wait a week for it and boy was it a long week. I plan on playing it every day for years...or until something "better" comes along :P

Until then, I'll sleep well at night knowing I bought the DP with the best non-GP action out there.

#2170262 - 10/22/13 08:06 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congratulations evamar!

The CA65 will undoubtedly be a significant upgrade over your CL25, and it's also quite a considerable step-up over the CN34. I'm glad that you were able to negotiate a good trade-in price with the dealer - this underscores the importance of highstreet stores, with sales people and customers working together to agree a deal that benefits both parties.

I'm hopeful that the CA65 will bring you many years of musical happiness!

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2170281 - 10/22/13 08:49 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Keegan]
iceporky Online   content

Loc: Singapore
Originally Posted By: Keegan
Just picked up a CA-65 this month myself...had to wait a week for it and boy was it a long week.

I've waited for my CA95 for 1 month now. And I probably need to wait for another 2 more months before it arrives. Guess my piano store is saving shipping costs by batching orders. :-(

Congrats on your new baby, evamar! Your skills will get a good "level-up" as you're likely to be playing it non-stop for the next 3 months. :-)

Edited by iceporky (10/22/13 10:19 PM)

#2170372 - 10/23/13 12:31 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Great! Welcome to the CA owner club. smile I hope you'll have much fun playing your new piano, evamar.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2170439 - 10/23/13 04:11 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Kawai James]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your good wishes, guys! I'm already bitting my nails and couldn't sleep well last night. Still one more day to go! So sorry to hear about the delays in getting your pianos, for me it's only a couple days and am already nuts! crazy

It's like being again a little kid just before Xmas! Well, I didn't have a Santa when I was a kid, in Spain we have the·Three Wise Men on the 6th of January.

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Congratulations evamar!

The CA65 will undoubtedly be a significant upgrade over your CL25, and it's also quite a considerable step-up over the CN34. I'm glad that you were able to negotiate a good trade-in price with the dealer - this underscores the importance of highstreet stores, with sales people and customers working together to agree a deal that benefits both parties.

James, looking at the price/quality ratio I really liked the CN24 but for the connections, same problem with the CA15 which has a fantastic touch and sound, but I knew that I wanted a USB to device connection to tape my musical attempts easily on a memory stick. Had any of those models had this feature I would have been extremely happy with any of them, as I'm just a beginner and was fine with changing pianos a few years on the line. I seriously think that Kawai is losing custom to other makers by not adding this feature in these models, as in today's world everybody is used to usb to device and many cheaper -and worse- pianos have it.

I talked to all the dealers but many of them were not very keen on negotiating to even include a stool and any would take the old CL25, so I would only be able to stretch myself to afford the CN34. They were quite rigid in their prices, actually, which is really a pity because they have to suffer the competition of many online only stores. As I had tried their showroom I wanted to buy from one of them, but unfortunately I am already over my budget and we are talking of a difference of several hundreds of pounds here.

However Reidys, both with online shop and showroom, were willing to take my old piano as a trade-in for a new one, and I was just about to get the CN34 from them when I decided to push it a bit and gave them an offer for the CA65. I wasn't really expecting them to take it, I was already happy with their offer for the CN34, but they made me extremely happy by accepting it so now I'm the proud owner of a new CA65! laugh

They'll be taking my old CL25 when they deliver the new CA65, and the delivery and installation is free. They also extended the original warranty to 5 years as I requested... they are really open to negotiate, so there you are, still I cannot believe it smile

I went well over my limit, but I know it's a good deal and that this piano will take me through all my learning years, so in the long term it will be well worth the expense.

I actually have not a spare penny now, so I simply won't be able to do anything else but practice on my new piano for months... so yes, I hope I'll be soon improving my playing wink

... but I'm scared of the 3 pedals... only used one so far.

Edited by evamar (10/23/13 04:13 AM)

#2170443 - 10/23/13 04:31 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with Reidy's

Just one point I would like to query:

Originally Posted By: evarmar
I seriously think that Kawai is losing custom to other makers by not adding this feature in these models, as in today's world everybody is used to usb to device and many cheaper -and worse- pianos have it.

With the exception of Casio Privia, may I ask you to clarify which instruments you are referring to specifically?

'USB to Device' functionality is available on Kawai models starting from the ES7 and CN34 (approximately £1100 and £1200 respectively), which I believe are already very competitively priced instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2170476 - 10/23/13 06:59 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Kawai James]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with Reidy's

Just one point I would like to query:

Originally Posted By: evarmar
I seriously think that Kawai is losing custom to other makers by not adding this feature in these models, as in today's world everybody is used to usb to device and many cheaper -and worse- pianos have it.

With the exception of Casio Privia, may I ask you to clarify which instruments you are referring to specifically?

'USB to Device' functionality is available on Kawai models starting from the ES7 and CN34 (approximately £1100 and £1200 respectively), which I believe are already very competitively priced instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James,

At the end of the day the buyer needs to sit down and put in paper what they can and cannot live without. Good touch and sound are extremely important, and I give it to Kawai that in my opinion they simply have the best touch and sound available to beginners and intermediates, and also for advanced and expert at the high end models. I have said that several times and am completely convinced of it. You completely got me, I'm a believer! smile

However, I also think that for many people nowadays being able to use a memory stick directly can be more important than an extremely good touch and sound, and might be willing to sacrifice these in order to get this connection. I don't, which is the reason I went over my budget, but I could well have gone the other way and get a "less good" piano for a few years, and surely by the time I needed to change it this feature will be availabe in Kawai's starter pianos too precisely because it will be expected. I gave a lot of consideration to the Casio AP450 and AP650, and a previous line Yamaha model because of this.

Beginners in particular are not keen on expending a lot of money simply because they still don't know if they are going to stick to the piano or it will just acumulate dust in a few months. They need decent enough pianos but they do look at the penny, wisely.

Pianos with USB to device under £1,000. Yes, one can consider them "worse" than Kawais, that is sometimes a personal point, but if this feature is very important for the buyer they might be chosen because of their price against the Kawai's models with USB to device, over £1K.

- Casios

- Roland RP301, £999

- Yamaha P155, just under £1K if they want to buy from ebay and risk importing from USA. Admitedly a stage piano and with a cheap X or Z stand instead of the wooden one.

- Also the YDP-181 I saw at a great price was an ex-demo has been sold. Again not sure about ex-demos, but if you find a good offer, this model also has a USB to device connection, and is being sold new at 1,049 inc stool, delivery, 5 years warranty and headphones at RockingRooster. Many dealers will match and improve the offer and you might negotiate even further.

I would advise buyers to try to negotiate the prices, because one never knows if they can get a brilliant piano at a brilliant price like I did. Many people just look at the price tag and take it as something engraved in stone. Also, there is the psychology limit of the infamous 999... that is cheap, 1,000 is expensive.

Anyway... I'm extremely happy and anxious to get my new CA65, with brilliant sound, touch and USB to device connection! 3hearts

Edited by evamar (10/23/13 07:25 AM)

#2170488 - 10/23/13 07:38 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your additional comments.

I agree that additional features such as USB functionality are important to some consumers. However, for Kawai, the priority will always be on superior action and sound quality, and then features.

With regards to my query about 'USB to Device', I ought to have clarified that I meant the ability to record and playback MP3/WAV audio files, not just loading and saving MIDI data (functionality that has existed on Kawai instruments since the CN41...).

Originally Posted By: evamar
Yamaha YDP 181

This model only offers basic functionality to load and save recorder songs in SMF format.

Roland RP301

According to the Roland website this model does not feature any USB functionality (neither 'USB to Host' nor 'USB to Device').

Yamaha P155

As with the YDP-181, this model only supports loading/saving MIDI data.

Which leaves the Casio models, with WAV playback/recording available on the PX-350, PX-850, and PX-5S.

I believe Kawai remains the only manufacturer to provide both MP3 and WAV recording/playback functionality, and on a model that's just £1100.

Anyway, I think I've already done my fair share of 'preaching to the converted', so will stop. wink

Once again, congrats on your CA65!

Kind regards,
James
x

#2170503 - 10/23/13 08:05 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Kawai James]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

My fault, I said Roland RP301 and it's actually the RP301r, at £1,050 with extras like a bench, so I would directly negotiate a reduction by not taking the bench.

The Roland website does mention that the RP301r admits a flash memory, but you are right, it plays wav and midi, but I think it only saves in midi. Also one has to buy the memory flash from Roland.
http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=10312&c=40

As obviously I misjudged the real meaning of the USB to device offered by the competitors (with the exception of Casio), I have no problem in eating my words and publicly say that Kawai is the cheapest maker offering a USB to device feature capable or reading and recording mp3 and wav files.

... as well as the one having -for my taste- the best touch and sound... but I haven't got to change anything here! grin

confused ... I think that it's easy to believe that whenever a USB to device is mentioned in the specifications it's instantly assumed -at least I did- that it meant that one would be able to simply use a memory stick. Obviously that is not the case, so I'm now double the happy I didn't fail for that.

#2170513 - 10/23/13 08:35 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I think that it's easy to believe that whenever a USB to device is mentioned in the specifications it's instantly assumed -at least I did- that it meant that one would be able to simply use a memory stick.

No, you are absolutely correct - my apologies if I gave you the wrong impression.

'USB to Device' does indeed mean that you can plug in a USB memory stick for loading/saving data. However, at the entry-level, the majority of instruments only support basic functionality such as playing back or saving MIDI files. Some instruments allow the playback of WAV audio (such as the RP301R), others allow both playback and record of WAV audio. The Kawai models I mentioned above fall into this category, yet unlike all other models can record and playback both MP3 and WAV audio files.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2170647 - 10/23/13 01:41 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Kawai James]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think that it's easy to believe that whenever a USB to device is mentioned in the specifications it's instantly assumed -at least I did- that it meant that one would be able to simply use a memory stick.

No, you are absolutely correct - my apologies if I gave you the wrong impression.

'USB to Device' does indeed mean that you can plug in a USB memory stick for loading/saving data. However, at the entry-level, the majority of instruments only support basic functionality such as playing back or saving MIDI files. Some instruments allow the playback of WAV audio (such as the RP301R), others allow both playback and record of WAV audio. The Kawai models I mentioned above fall into this category, yet unlike all other models can record and playback both MP3 and WAV audio files.

OK, got it now, thanks for the explanation. We obviously have to pay more attention to the details of specifications and not only check for the word USB.

...one more day... expected tomorrow morning!!!!

#2170998 - 10/24/13 02:43 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
I hope everything goes well with the delivery, mine was rather troublesome back then. wink (I have to give it to Thomann that they handled the issue quickly and to my highest satisfaction.)

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2171149 - 10/24/13 09:57 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
lizkey Offline

Congrats Evamar. I too am in the CA65 club. Wishing you much joyful playing on yours. How exciting! grin yippie

#2171243 - 10/24/13 12:34 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: lizkey]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

GOT IT GOT IT GOT IT!!!

Wow, it is a beast!!! I have passed from a CL25 to this monster, so you can imagine it will take a bit to get used to it.

First impressions.... 3hearts

I absolutely love the wooden keys and the action. I still have to get used to the different touch, and still need to study the manual too! The sound is fantastic without headphones (2x50w compared to 2x7w, you can imagine the difference!) and also brilliant with them on. Problem is that I am now spoilt with choice of piano sounds... Not sure which one will go best with each piece, but so far I'm sticking to the grands and have tried some Bach with the harpsichords, I haven't even touched the settings but give me time for that.

One thing I really have to get used to is the fixed pedals. With the CL25 and a single loose pedal I could move it to the part of the keybed more convenient for the piece (I know, a terrible habit of mine grin ), and now I have to be good and stay right in front of the pedals to reach them -well, it, as I still only use the sustain pedal. The side controls also mean that the front looks like a proper piano (the front speakers are almost indistinguishable in rosewood and completely in satin black), but one has to go to the side to adjust anything... one thing for the other, I guess.

It looks absolutely huge in my small conservatory, and the sound completely fills up the space. I'll be using headphones maybe 70% of the time, as I really prefer to get to a decent level with each song/piece before playing it without headphones... not only that I'm truly embarrased about my terrible playing, it's also better for my marriage and neighbour relationships! grin

Reidys told me exactly by when to expect it, 2 days delivery, and it was delivered with German punctuality by a very nice guy. It had been assembled before hand at Reidys so that they could deliver as many as possible on the day, as the driver told me. It came in one of those black and metal boxes that professionals use when moving their instruments, very well protected. It doesn't have a scratch on it, believe me I have looked everywhere! I actually asked them for delivery today and they told me Saturday and then said that they could just manage to deliver today if I still want it as they had some other deliveries in the area. They didn't tell me that it would be delivered by the driver who travels on his own, so it was just luck that my husband was at home to help him.

It really is a fantastic piano, and my absolutely only concern is that the last 3 G keys make a very slightly different sound to the rest. It's like the "thud" noise that the rest of keys make is up by half a tone and just a bit louder in those Gs (???). Something you can really only notice playing them with the power off, but enough to be worrying. Could it be the felts? confused eek confused

Could anybody with a recently bought CA please let me know if they have noticed any difference between the keys noise when the power is off?

Photos to follow, I need to clear the space a bit and rearrange a couple of small furniture, as it takes more space than the CL25 and we always get too much stuff.

Other than those keys, which I have already informed Reidys about, the piano is absolutely fantastic and I'm very happy that I went over my original limit. I know that I would have been also very happy with the CN34, but I really prefer the touch of this one.

Now I'm pennyless, absolutely nothing for personal expenses for several months, so I do expect to improve as I'll have to spend a lot of time practising. Looking forward to my uncle "the pianist" to come and try it. ha

Edited by evamar (10/24/13 12:37 PM)

#2171315 - 10/24/13 02:35 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
First obviously congrats and enjoy your instrument smile
On my CA65 I noticed a few keys that are slightly louder (I can't tell you which one right now) but they are located over the two speakers so I think the difference in loudness is simply due to the fact that they are in a more open area (to put thing in perspectives, they are only marginally louder and you only notice it if you play late in a completely silent environment wit the sound turned off) smile

Jean-Luc

#2171470 - 10/24/13 07:58 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Congrats evamar!

Also, judging by your post in the 'Prices Paid' thread, I think you got a really great deal!

James
x

#2171635 - 10/25/13 02:59 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Jean-Luc]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Jean-Luc, I got a reply from Reidys, saying "I had one of our technician run through the piano as they assembled it for delivery. All the keys were playing fine, however you sometimes find that the higher keys don't sound or resonate the same as the rest, as they are more percussive than an actual note."

As you said, to put in perspective it's something that can only be noticed without power or 0 volume, and I know that the "thud" is to be expected with this action and wooden keys. Just wanted to make sure as I just got my new baby!

Yes... I use to play a bit first thing in the morning as I tend to get up quite early... not a sound around, only my piano smile

Edited by evamar (10/25/13 03:00 AM)

#2171640 - 10/25/13 03:17 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: Kawai James]
lizkey Offline

Congrats evamar!

Also, judging by your post in the 'Prices Paid' thread, I think you got a really great deal!

James
x

Huh....damn. You did get a great deal. That's just about $1,000 less than what my dealer sold mine to me for. You got some negotiating skills (or skilz as the kids spell it these days.)

#2171649 - 10/25/13 03:30 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
lizkey Offline

Quote:
It really is a fantastic piano, and my absolutely only concern is that the last 3 G keys make a very slightly different sound to the rest. It's like the "thud" noise that the rest of keys make is up by half a tone and just a bit louder in those Gs (???). Something you can really only notice playing them with the power off, but enough to be worrying. Could it be the felts?

Could anybody with a recently bought CA please let me know if they have noticed any difference between the keys noise when the power is off?

That's weird...I never noticed before but I took my headphones off, turned the piano off and I checked... and sure enough I have that same difference in my last 2 Gs. My CA65 is only 2 months old.

Um, I still can't get over what a great deal you got....I decidedly won't tell my husband how good a deal you got. He would not be happy with me!

#2171650 - 10/25/13 03:34 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: lizkey]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lizkey
Congrats evamar!

James
x

Huh....damn. You did get a great deal. That's just about $1,000 less than what my dealer sold mine to me for. You got some negotiating skills (or skilz as the kids spell it these days.)

I know, I know!!! laugh yippie

At the end of the day, we as final buyers do not know the trade price, so I think that negotiation should never be off the table. I would happily have gone for the CN34 if they hadn't accepted my offer as I also got a good deal with that model, but obviously it was also a decent offer for them. Keep in mind that I was trading-in an old piano and not taking a couple extras too, but considering the price of a new CL26 I know I got a great deal. Reidys were brilliant.

I love my new CA65!
3hearts

Edited by evamar (10/25/13 03:35 AM)

#2171653 - 10/25/13 03:43 AM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: lizkey]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's weird...I never noticed before but I took my headphones off, turned the piano off and I checked... and sure enough I have that same difference in my last 2 Gs. My CA65 is only 2 months old.

Thanks for your reply, it seems then that this is normal for the CA models, so not to worry. It really is barely noticeable, to be fair, but I was checking absolutely everything and I thought it was strange.

Um, I still can't get over what a great deal you got....I decidedly won't tell my husband how good a deal you got. He would not be happy with me!

... I won't tell him, not to worry... wink

#2172409 - 10/26/13 02:33 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another little thing I have noticed with my new piano...

Using the Grand Concert 2 (which happens to be my favourite voice so I use it a lot) I have noticed that the 5th C sharp note sounds with a bit of extra noise, a bit metallic, but could be some extra vibration, not sure how to describe it, sorry.

Funny thing is that it only seems to happen with this piano voice. I was all worried about the actual key and trying other voices and then I noticed that it didn't happen with them, only with the Grand Concert 2!

Is this even possible or am I going mad here? Has the actual voice been recorded with the 5th C sharp like that?

Could any other owners of a CA65 and I guess a CA95 try this note with this voice and let me know???

confused

It's nothing really terrible, but I'm just surprised that it only happens with that voice.... which I happen to love, so I hope I won't get paranoid about it.

#2172415 - 10/26/13 03:07 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Dear Evamar, welcome to the land of 88 key sampling smile
You are not mad: in my ES7, for instance, there are some weird notes here and there. They are few, and though it's nothing terrible it is bad enough so as to choose one voice or other, depending on what you are playing or your mood. If there is a piece in wich THAT note appears often...It can be irritating.

My case: Concert Grand 1, E natural in the central octave has a bad sound, uneven and weird, the kind of sound that reminds you to call the tuner to get some voicing done on it.
Studio Grand 1, same but now on F and F#.
Mellow Grand 1, one weird black note on the right hand has a very short attack and a very, very bad decay, strange and out of tune...ONLY IF YOU PLAY IT PP.
Besides, you should expect some notes to cause a strange sound when played toghether. A matter of ressonance, I guess, that can be reduced via Virtual Technician.

I once dreamed about these things being solved by Kawai via update, but someone in Kawai Europe told me it was a way to make AP sound more "real". No comment.

#2172448 - 10/26/13 04:40 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: mabraman]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mabraman
Dear Evamar, welcome to the land of 88 key sampling smile
You are not mad:

Glad to know! Some people who know me well think otherwise, and my mum never got me tested, so I can't refuse their opinion! laugh

in my ES7, for instance, there are some weird notes here and there. They are few, and though it's nothing terrible it is bad enough so as to choose one voice or other, depending on what you are playing or your mood. If there is a piece in wich THAT note appears often...It can be irritating.

My case: Concert Grand 1, E natural in the central octave has a bad sound, uneven and weird, the kind of sound that reminds you to call the tuner to get some voicing done on it.
Studio Grand 1, same but now on F and F#.
Mellow Grand 1, one weird black note on the right hand has a very short attack and a very, very bad decay, strange and out of tune...ONLY IF YOU PLAY IT PP.
Besides, you should expect some notes to cause a strange sound when played toghether. A matter of ressonance, I guess, that can be reduced via Virtual Technician.

Strange, especially the one that only does that when played pp! I just got the piano a couple days ago, so everything is still new for me. Just came across this funny one now, hopefully it will be the only one and I won't start playing something that uses it constantly. Not really terrible, it's only one note, but I KNOW IT'S THERE!!!

I once dreamed about these things being solved by Kawai via update, but someone in Kawai Europe told me it was a way to make AP sound more "real". No comment.

I can understand some "non perfect" things being "copied" in order to make transition to an acoustic easier... like the pedals in some models, but this? Surely the acoustic owners would be happier without this happening to their pianos?!

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that at least I'm not imagining things... crazy

P.S. ¿Eres de Valencia? Viví allí antes de venir a Inglaterra.

#2172479 - 10/26/13 06:07 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: evamar]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Yep, hence my bad english. wink With regards to 88 key sampling, now I understand why some brands (say Yamaha)don't work on it anymore. It's nice to have a non-stretched sound, but on the other hand you have 88 chances of something sounding weird.
Dp´s can´t be serviced when the issue is coming from the sample, so it's an update or nothing. We'll see...
As you said before, nothing terrible but WE KNOW IT'S THERE! In the case of E natural, makes it unplayable for a beginner. Luckily you can go around it and choose, for instance, Mellow Grand with a bright voicing, and be done with that.
Some models are named "milestones". If they only knew what this can mean in spanish...:)

#2172488 - 10/26/13 06:30 PM Re: New Kawai CA65!!! [Re: mabraman]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia

I really don't understand this trend to make DP sound real by emulating DEFECTS of acoustic pianos (like damper noise...). I hope we will see exhaust gas feature for electric cars soon :-)
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (Al LaPorte, a-z0-9, beeboss, AndrewJCW, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 1453 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75473 Members
42 Forums
156050 Topics
2291488 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
Fugue in b Minor
by Ritzycat
Yesterday at 05:34 PM
Missing Pedal rods for Bramburg (1890-ish?)
by Paul678
Yesterday at 04:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission