2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I wrote a new policy at the beginning of this year which changed the cancellation stipulations. It states two terms, spring and fall, with a specified number of lessons in each. Two cancellations (24 hours in advance except in case of sickness or emergency) with makeups are allowed per term. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I have a family that thinks I'm misusing them because I scheduled myself a week of vacation (unpaid no make-up required)and they want to do the same: take a week of vacation, not pay me, and not take a make-up lesson. We ended the discussion with the mom saying, "I guess you want us to do the make-up" to which I of course said "Yes." I even offered to add it on in increments to their regular lessons since schedule allows. Am I right to enforce this? She held up a violin teacher's policy, and a flute teacher's policy, both "no payment, no make-up for advance notice on cancellations."

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Well, a few points:

1) You are not a violin or flute teacher
2) You are an independent business owner and can run your business as you feel is int eh best interest of the company
3) What is your track record with this family? Are they a long-standing student? Do they usually not have a problem with attendance? Do they pay on time for the most part?

Usually in this situation, if it's a family I've worked with or ones that are very good, I tell them that they are not the ones I have really written the policy for, but the families that take advantage, just so they don't feel unappreciated.

How much advance notice were they given of your policy change? You said the beginning of the year, and now it's October. If they objected, why are they now mentioning it? Honestly, this doesn't come up because we don't bill by the lesson. I tell students my monthly or semester rate. The monthly installments are the same each month, so they don't really know what I charge per lessons unless they do some math. It's not that I'm hiding that, but then they don't think in the mindset of paying per lesson. I have in my policy that there are 17 lessons per semester, and monthly installments go towards those 17 lessons. They can reschedule ahead of time, so I don't see why it's such a big deal with them.

Perhaps compromise if they are a reliable family and tell them if they're concerned about using up their "2 make-ups" you can make an exception for them taking their vacation since they are giving you advance notice. I wouldn't really budge beyond that or for a student who doesn't pay on time, isn't prepared for lessons, and misses/reschedules a lot. I find that students with this kind of track record usually leave, so it's hardly worth making an exception. Sorry if that sound cruel.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I would submit that 40% of piano teaching involves educating parents. Stick to your guns. If you make allowances now, she will expect it in the future.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
P
P
At the moment, I am lucky to be able to have a no-makeup and no refund for lessons missed policy. That includes illness, trips etc. If I am away, I certainly make up the lesson or reimburse.

When dealing with trips, it comes down to the fact that you usually can't find another paying student to fill a spot that is only available for 1-2 weeks. The family should pay for the missed lessons in order to hold their lesson time.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
We teachers like to think of ourselves as fair. From the mom's standpoint, however, you are not being fair, because you are allowed to take a week's holiday during the teaching season yet seemingly her family is not.

Either you concede her point and lose income, or you simply pull rank on her and say, "I'm sorry, but this is my professional studio and this is my policy. Many of my PianoWorld colleagues run their studios similarly."

I'm on your side. And obviously the mom has caved. But if you take vacations during your teaching year, it can get messy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What exactly is the rationale for a policy that requires students pay for every single lesson, yet when the teacher decides to take a vacation, suddenly both parties are exempt? (I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic, I'm honestly curious since I know this is common and yet it has never seemed fair to me).

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
What exactly is the rationale for a policy that requires students pay for every single lesson, yet when the teacher decides to take a vacation, suddenly both parties are exempt? (I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic, I'm honestly curious since I know this is common and yet it has never seemed fair to me).

That's why I don't have that clause in my studio policy. I don't think it will be fair.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
C
Originally Posted by Pianist4ever
I wrote a new policy at the beginning of this year which changed the cancellation stipulations. It states two terms, spring and fall, with a specified number of lessons in each.

If you are giving a specified number of lessons per term, irregardless of taking a vacation week....then that should be enough rational for the mother. State your "formula." X number of lessons for X number of $$'s each term.

I'm not sure how your vacation week factors into all this. Do you still ensure X number of lessons is given during each term?

If you are not short changing families (with your vacation week) and upholding your original agreement of X number of lessons in the term, then I don't see how this parent can complain/argue. It sounds like they are wanting to shortchange you....

M
M
Originally Posted by ChristinaH
I wrote a new policy at the beginning of this year which changed the cancellation stipulations. It states two terms, spring and fall, with a specified number of lessons in each.

If you are giving a specified number of lessons per term, irregardless of taking a vacation week....then that should be enough rational for the mother. State your "formula." X number of lessons for X number of $$'s each term.

I'm not sure how your vacation week factors into all this. Do you still ensure X number of lessons is given during each term?

If you are not short changing families (with your vacation week) and upholding your original agreement of X number of lessons in the term, then I don't see how this parent can complain/argue. It sounds like they are wanting to shortchange you....
After thinking about this a bit more, I agree here that the mom isn't being completely unreasonable, because of how you aren't making up your missed lessons for vacation, yet you won't let them skip a lesson for vacation and not pay for it. Most parents wouldn't have a problem with this, it's the 1% of difficult parents that find (look for?) loop holes.

So this lady found one. Do what you want, but that is why I think a compromise is in order. Then change your policy, or take vacations during school vacations in the future.

By the way, we have it written in our policy that each semester is 17 lessons, and within that we have a couple of weeks off during Christmas and a week off during Spring Break. Those dates are written in the policy and on our calendar. We plan our trips around that to avoid creating extra make-ups for ourselves. No one has complained (yet!). There will be a week in March where I am performing out of town, so I'll either teach them on Skype or teach them during Spring Break (most kids around here don't go anywhere) or twice in one week. I'll let them decide, but the option of paying less isn't there, because I won't open that can of worms.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
We teachers like to think of ourselves as fair. From the mom's standpoint, however, you are not being fair, because you are allowed to take a week's holiday during the teaching season yet seemingly her family is not.

Either you concede her point and lose income, or you simply pull rank on her and say, "I'm sorry, but this is my professional studio and this is my policy. Many of my PianoWorld colleagues run their studios similarly."

I'm on your side. And obviously the mom has caved. But if you take vacations during your teaching year, it can get messy.

Agreed, except I'm not on your side. What's so terrible about being flexible? If this family is otherwise reliable and hasn't given you previous problems, then what's wrong with making an exception to make them happy (and letting them know it's an exception that likely won't be repeated or whatever.) Then maybe for next year you need to modify your studio policy somewhat.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I wrote a new policy at the beginning of this year which changed the cancellation stipulations. It states two terms, spring and fall, with a specified number of lessons in each. Two cancellations (24 hours in advance except in case of sickness or emergency) with makeups are allowed per term. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I have a family that thinks I'm misusing them because I scheduled myself a week of vacation (unpaid no make-up required)and they want to do the same: take a week of vacation, not pay me, and not take a make-up lesson. We ended the discussion with the mom saying, "I guess you want us to do the make-up" to which I of course said "Yes." I even offered to add it on in increments to their regular lessons since schedule allows. Am I right to enforce this? She held up a violin teacher's policy, and a flute teacher's policy, both "no payment, no make-up for advance notice on cancellations."

It may help to state "the studio is closed from June 1 to June 7" (or whatever the dates are) instead of saying "I am taking a vacation".

I think you are being reasonable and letting each person know how many lessons they will receive. I also think that switching to a monthly fee will help.

How strange and rude that Mrs. Mom has 2 other teachers policies on hand to use against you. Obviously she wants things her way. I would simply restate your policy when she says "But so and so does such and such". And restate it again when she again says "But this one also does such and such". Hopefully she'll see that your policy is different.

Good luck!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

It may help to state "the studio is closed from June 1 to June 7" (or whatever the dates are) instead of saying "I am taking a vacation"

I like the wording "the studio will be closed the following weeks".

You can structure your policy any way you like. If the parent wants to take lessons with you and signs that she agrees with your policy then that's all there is to it. You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

That being said, if you as a teacher frequently cancel lessons, reschedule, run late, etc... then the parent has a right to question why they aren't allowed some flexibility as well.

I also use the wording above and take off 5 weeks during the school year; 1 week Thanksgiving, 2 weeks Christmas, 1 week Easter, and an additional week that I can choose any time during the year. Parents know they are getting "x" number of lessons per year and that tuition is based on a yearly fee divided into 4 equal payments. Occasionally, parents will question why we're taking off the entire week of Thanksgiving but it's usually because they didn't read the studio policy. And this happens rarely.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
M
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

It may help to state "the studio is closed from June 1 to June 7" (or whatever the dates are) instead of saying "I am taking a vacation"

I like the wording "the studio will be closed the following weeks".

You can structure your policy any way you like. If the parent wants to take lessons with you and signs that she agrees with your policy then that's all there is to it. You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

That being said, if you as a teacher frequently cancel lessons, reschedule, run late, etc... then the parent has a right to question why they aren't allowed some flexibility as well.

I also use the wording above and take off 5 weeks during the school year; 1 week Thanksgiving, 2 weeks Christmas, 1 week Easter, and an additional week that I can choose any time during the year. Parents know they are getting "x" number of lessons per year and that tuition is based on a yearly fee divided into 4 equal payments. Occasionally, parents will question why we're taking off the entire week of Thanksgiving but it's usually because they didn't read the studio policy. And this happens rarely.
For me, I use the first few days of the week of Thanksgiving to do make up lessons. So if parents ask I tell them it's reserved for making up lessons that were rescheduled earlier. I also use a couple of days after New Years for make-ups, Spring break if needed, and at the end of the school year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by OP
It states two terms, spring and fall, with a specified number of lessons in each. Two cancellations (24 hours in advance except in case of sickness or emergency) with makeups are allowed per term.

I think OP has the same policy as many of us do. I think she "build in" her vacation time and announce that the studio is "close for June 1 to 7".

I think Mrs. Mom found a loophole, why when teacher close her studio, Mrs. Mom no need to pay and no need make up lesson. Why now Mrs Mom cannot take vacation without paying and without make up???

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 10/24/13 05:13 PM.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Re:I have a family that thinks I'm misusing them because I scheduled myself a week of vacation (unpaid no make-up required)and they want to do the same: take a week of vacation, not pay me, and not take a make-up lesson.

The two situations are entirely different. When a teacher decides that she can take a vacation and forgo a certain amount of money, she is predicating her decision on all students coming all of the other weeks. So, you are perfectly correct in demanding that they pay, and you will make up the lesson.

I actually really don't like doing makeups for people who are rich enough to go for cruises, and getaways to the Bahamas. They tip the waiters and all sorts of people and then when they get home, they make the piano teacher work extra hard (beyond her full schedule) to get every penny worth out of her. It's nonsense.

I'm tempted to say no makeup lessons for vacations, but they must still pay for the lesson. But it wouldn't fly.

But the real issue here is assertiveness. So many piano teachers have trouble sticking to their guns. Before you make a rule, EXPECT it to be challenged and ask yourself whether you can stand up to pressure. If you cannot, do not make the rule.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Candywoman
But the real issue here is assertiveness. So many piano teachers have trouble sticking to their guns. Before you make a rule, EXPECT it to be challenged and ask yourself whether you can stand up to pressure. If you cannot, do not make the rule.

I agree!

TO OP:

How about telling the mom: "Oh I see! We get even this time. Next time when I take vacation, I will bill you and you can come in for a make up lesson."

M
M
At some point, it comes down to how you want to run your business, and if this parent is OK with that. If they aren't then they need to find a teacher whose policy is more to their liking. Or, deal with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I used to only allow two makeups per school year as well. No refunds. I would only give a refund if I was ill. So I got some push back as to why when I missed did they get a refund but not when they missed. See what I mean? I really thought I was doing them a favor as do you but some parents will try to nickel and dime you with a policy like that. Especially the ones that miss a lot because they will b getting the biggest discount! Here's what I did. I now have a policy that states unlimited makeups within reason but no refunds. Lessons are a flat rate for the month. I was worried at first that it would backfire. But after a year of this policy I've only had to do a handful of makeups. I did make it a point to explain the within reason part. I already knew in my mind that if a family was missing so much that it got to be a problem there would be bigger issues going on. Even before my new lenient policy was in place I have had to let a few students go because they were so flaky. Some people will just be flaky regardless of how strict the policy. That's why I go for the simple no refunds but unlimited makeups. It makes parents feel secure that they will be getting what they pay for and that's important in this economy.

Kawai acoustic piano
Casio PX-350
Originally Posted by Morodiene
At some point, it comes down to how you want to run your business, and if this parent is OK with that. If they aren't then they need to find a teacher whose policy is more to their liking. Or, deal with it.

However I also agree here. I have found a policy works for me and my personality. If you do like your policy by all means stick with it.

Kawai acoustic piano
Casio PX-350
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
That's why I go for the simple no refunds but unlimited makeups. It makes parents feel secure that they will be getting what they pay for and that's important in this economy.

Yes, I agree with you. Currently my policy is absolute no refund or credit over to next month, but makeups are unlimited too!! Also, I have two hours notification is enough in case kids got very sick right before lesson and I do not want to teach sick students! On the top of that, I do not even ask why they want to have make up lessons, that is why yes, they can cancel a lesson and go shopping!

The only catch that parents have is that they have to schedule make up lesson online by themselves at this link: http://bit.ly/EZBookNow and they cannot ask for a slot that is not listed in the link.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
All these policies revolve around our struggle between accommodation and our desire to earn a steady income. It's not easy, and the low status of music teachers makes it worse. Jazzyclassical has expressed it well, that we eventually find something that works for us.

M
M
All these policies revolve around our struggle between accommodation and our desire to earn a steady income. It's not easy, and the low status of music teachers makes it worse. Jazzyclassical has expressed it well, that we eventually find something that works for us.

Exactly, and it may not necessarily work with every student or parent. I recently had one such student - she was lovely to teach, and her mother really appreciated lessons and wanted the daughter to take as much as she could. The father, however, thought I was completely unreasonable and lessons were a waste of time and money and would not lift a finger to help. I did not budge on my policy, but I did offer a compromise that they did not accept. They are no longer at my studio.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sound like a great resource! Thanks for the info!

Kawai acoustic piano
Casio PX-350
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I recently had one such student - she was lovely to teach, and her mother really appreciated lessons and wanted the daughter to take as much as she could. The father, however, thought I was completely unreasonable and lessons were a waste of time and money and would not lift a finger to help. I did not budge on my policy, but I did offer a compromise that they did not accept. They are no longer at my studio.

Here's the bigger tragedy than our losing income for a few missed lessons, or else hustling to make them up. It's a sweet girl whose work with a committed music teacher was scotched by a peasant father. It's also a family fraught with internal tension.

Morodiene is right that sometimes studio teaching fails. But M, do you want to tell us a few particulars here? I'm glad you held to your policy, but sometimes everybody loses. (Well, maybe the father won.)

M
M
I recently had one such student - she was lovely to teach, and her mother really appreciated lessons and wanted the daughter to take as much as she could. The father, however, thought I was completely unreasonable and lessons were a waste of time and money and would not lift a finger to help. I did not budge on my policy, but I did offer a compromise that they did not accept. They are no longer at my studio.

Here's the bigger tragedy than our losing income for a few missed lessons, or else hustling to make them up. It's a sweet girl whose work with a committed music teacher was scotched by a peasant father. It's also a family fraught with internal tension.

Morodiene is right that sometimes studio teaching fails. But M, do you want to tell us a few particulars here? I'm glad you held to your policy, but sometimes everybody loses. (Well, maybe the father won.)
This is the man who called up last month within an hour before her lesson asking to do Skype lessons that day instead. I didn't get the message until after I was done teaching and it was too late. I had texted the mom saying that I need 24 hours' notice to change lessons. Then two weeks later, same thing happened again. Father called, left a message at the 11th hour wanting to do Skype. This is the same person who said Skype lessons were a scam, by the way.

Well, this time I was able to answer my phone and I spoke to him. I explained that I drove to the studio to teach, and I was not prepared to do a Skype lesson and I need 24 hours' notice to change lessons/reschedule. He then said that while his daughter loves me and his wife thinks I've done a great job, he doesn't agree. He said his wife had to work late to make more money to afford these lessons and that I was being inflexible by not being able to realize that "life happens".

I informed him that my policy is clear and explained why. I also told him my rates are average for the area. I then said that my purpose for calling was to suggest we go to strictly Skype lessons since getting to lessons is a problem for them. I told him to talk it over with his wife and hung up.

This man was just awful. I have never had such an angry, disrespectful father (you had to hear his tone, not just the words). And it's bull his wife was working extra to pay for lessons, since they opted to take hour lessons instead of 45 minutes, and the mother had even asked about coming twice a week. Of course, none of that is my fault or my concern, and it's sad that this guy doesn't appreciate the self-confidence that she gets from lessons with me.

I don't see how this is a difficult thing: I offer lessons. I run a business and have a policy that I'm upfront with before students sign on. You get a lesson time each week (or pay a premium for sporadic lessons) and you show up. Preferably with books and on time, and have a lesson for the agreed upon time. No one points a gun at anyone's head saying "You must accept my terms." If you don't like them, find someone else. /rant

Last edited by Morodiene; 10/25/13 06:12 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I hear you Morodiene. Yes I remember that thread. I can feel how disrespectful you feel from this father. It is sad to hear that the little girl is so sweet to teach. In this case, really everyone's lose but one man win!! Too bad...

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I am sorry, on the other thought, can you just change this little girl's lesson to only Skype?

M
M
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
I am sorry, on the other thought, can you just change this little girl's lesson to only Skype?
That is what I offered. I never heard back from them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Offering to switch only to Skype was a sensible - almost generous - compromise for a bully like that, but of course then you would never get face time with his daughter. Mom and Dad wouldn't like it, either, for the same reason.

Sometimes lessons are just not meant to be. Money gets in the way, or personalities clash, and in any case the arts are deemed a frill. But it's all sad.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 10/26/13 01:37 AM.
M
M
Offering to switch only to Skype was a sensible - almost generous - compromise for a bully like that, but of course then you would never get face time with his daughter. Mom and Dad wouldn't like it, either, for the same reason.

Sometimes lessons are just not meant to be. Money gets in the way, or personalities clash, and in any case the arts are deemed a frill. But it's all sad.
Yes, and I know that I wasn't the problem here. They have missed many lessons, both in-person and Skype, even when I taught out of my home which was just 2 miles from where they live. It was inevitable.

edited to add: This is why I asked what this family was like for the OP. I have no problem making exceptions for families, but it depends on their track record. This family didn't have a good one, and normally, I may not have offered to do Skype lessons because it's like throwing pearls to swine. Often it's families like that miss lessons, show up late, are slow in paying, etc. that have problems with your policy. These are the very people for whom these rules are written! So to make an exception only means everything else on that page is negotiable and pretty soon they are running your business, not you.

On the other hand, if you have a student who is long-standing, loves lesson, shows up on time, parents cooperate and pay you when they are supposed to, don't cancel a lot, have no No-shows, etc. - THIS is the kind of student you make exceptions for.

I offered that as a last-ditch effort for the sake of the girl. Still, pearls to swine (the father, not the girl).

Last edited by Morodiene; 10/26/13 08:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Morodiene,
It sounds like this father was difficult for his family, and his behavior probably caused those other skipped lessons.

"Life happens but ineptitude doesn't have to!" would be my dream response to his comment that life happens.

How much more notice do you need than a week to know you have to be somewhere at a certain time?

M
M
Originally Posted by Candywoman
Morodiene,
It sounds like this father was difficult for his family, and his behavior probably caused those other skipped lessons.

"Life happens but ineptitude doesn't have to!" would be my dream response to his comment that life happens.

How much more notice do you need than a week to know you have to be somewhere at a certain time?

Exactly! But I'm glad I held my tongue, and just reiterated my suggestion to consider Skype-only lessons for the future. Now it's clear his decision had nothing to do with my behavior and everything to do with his.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission