2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2171482 10/24/13 08:15 PM
V
veggie Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi everyone.
I hope this post is OK. I know these pianos have been covered individually in other posts, but I'm after a direct comparison between them.
Background: I'm in Australia and absolutely cannot afford anything over $5000 (would prefer something under $4000 if possible).
I like the look of these, and have tried the 507, which I liked, but haven't had a chance to try the other two. I am not a concert pianist or anything, but do enjoy playing for myself, and to practice for my job as a Music Therapist. So while I'm not necessarily looking for a Concert standard piano, I would like something with a decent feel and sound. As I'm used to playing an Upright rather than a Grand, emulation of a Grand Piano is not a priority for me. And, call it silly, but I would like something with an option for a polished finish (which these three pianos do).
So if anyone could give me advice of which one I should be more closely looking at, from more experienced players, would be great. I've read reviews of all three, and they all seem positive; although the 505 reviews have mentioned some niggling things that may or may not be a problem. I would rather get feedback from players as I don't really trust what the music store salespeople might say.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would suggest the Yamaha NU1, however I'm not sure how expensive this model is in Australia.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
D
the specs on both HP models show the PHAIII action -- which I really like a lot and my friend who is a professional thought this was the best action she had seen on a digital.

Looking at both manuals the 507 has more key touch adjustments if that is significant to you, the 505 has 5 adjustments.

I have a 507. The difference between 507 and 505 is the output power, and a few options that don't really affect much.

I've tried CLP440, too. Between the 440 and 507 I would definitely pick 507 for the keyboard and its sound.

S
S
Coincidentally, just yesterday I was in a store and tried:

CLP 430: GH3 action
CLP 440: GH3 action, synthetic ivory
CLP 470 and 480: Natural wood action, synthetic ivory
Roland DP90S: PHA-III, synthetic ivory, same as the HP505/507

Of these, the 430/440 action seemed the least realistic - I found it very easy to play (not that I'm very good) but it felt a bit bouncy, not as "solid" at the bottom and reminiscent of cheaper DPs, especially after playing the others.

The 470/480 action felt much better and the Roland action felt a lot more like the 470/480 than the 430/440 (even though the Roland was closer in price to the 440, I think even slightly less expensive).

Frankly, the Roland was somewhat difficult for me to play - not at all bad, but the touch seemed heavier, which gave me trouble - probably just means I have to get better (again, I'm not very good and do almost all my playing on a digital, not a real piano).

Incidentally, the DP90S seemed to offer a lot of piano for the money - top PHA-III action, lots of sounds and adjustability - the only weakness was the amp/speakers, but I play mostly through headphones. If I were buying I'd spend some time playing a real piano and then try the Roland again.

Note that there is also a DP90 (without the S) that has a downgraded action (not PHA-III) and is correspondingly cheaper.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Alan Lai
I have a 507. The difference between 507 and 505 is the output power, and a few options that don't really affect much.

I've tried CLP440, too. Between the 440 and 507 I would definitely pick 507 for the keyboard and its sound.

I absolutely agree.
And if you (the OP) spoke about MY comments about the drawbacks of the 505, keep in mind that I am a very picky person about technique perfection. If you have no need for the metronome, and you do not want to record the church organ sound of the 505 for something where certain sound failures couldn´t be excused, then I could recommend you the 505 or 507 right away. If one of these two features is of importance of you, then compare well. I haven´t got the chance to test especially those functions on Yamahas or Kawais and can only tell you that I am not happy with them on the Roland but wouldn´t know if others do it better. But I love my Roland for the pure piano experience. I then bought for some 20 EUR a very good metronome as an external device. Done. I play from time to time church organ sound and my family does not note anything bad about it, and I just try to not get sad about its imperfections. For recordings I record the MIDI signal and then connect the perfect church organ sound of a software on my PC to it. Done.

V
veggie Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the responses everyone. It's a very hard decision!

And if you (the OP) spoke about MY comments about the drawbacks of the 505, keep in mind that I am a very picky person about technique perfection.

Actually no I wasn't referring to your comments, it was actually some other reviews I read. I did read your review though, and it was very helpful, but I guess I just wanted a more direct comparison between just these three.

Last edited by veggie; 10/25/13 10:12 PM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@veggie,

Of the three pianos you are looking at I would recommend trying the CLP-440 as I own a CLP-480 and there is nothing but good things to be said about it:

1) Great weighted action - responsive with triple sensors
2) Best piano sounds among the top three brands
3) Excellent speaker projection

veggie: Have you tried any of the Kawai pianos? Some of those have actions that feel better than anything from Yamaha or Roland. And the sound of the Yamahas is nothing special really, having not been improved in over a decade.

V
veggie Offline OP
OP Offline
V
veggie: Have you tried any of the Kawai pianos?

I haven't actually. Looking at their website the CS4 and CA65 (although that doesn't come in polished black) seem good and in my price range. My only problem with the CS4 though, would be the fact that many of the functions are activated by the keyboard itself, which, although not a deal-breaker, could be annoying. But yes, that's another 2 to add to the list:-)
But thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. So much to think about.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Alan - Would you say that the 507 and 505 are essentially the same instruments in terms of sound and touch - particularly when playing through headphones????

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I am not Alan, but can tell you that if playing through headphones, yes, the 507 and 505 will sound and feel essentially the same.

Playing through the speakers at least at mid, better louder volumes, it makes a difference not only in the achievable volume, but more important in the distribution of sound to your room and ears, the 507 will much more immerse you in it instead of letting you kind of in front of it. The 505 still achieves such effect, but not the 503, neither the Yamaha CLPs, neither the CA65. But the 507 is superb in this. Haven´t got a chance to listen to a CA95 by now.

Originally Posted by carey

Alan - Would you say that the 507 and 505 are essentially the same instruments in terms of sound and touch - particularly when playing through headphones????

Yes.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Marco M
I am not Alan, but can tell you that if playing through headphones, yes, the 507 and 505 will sound and feel essentially the same.

Playing through the speakers at least at mid, better louder volumes, it makes a difference not only in the achievable volume, but more important in the distribution of sound to your room and ears, the 507 will much more immerse you in it instead of letting you kind of in front of it. The 505 still achieves such effect, but not the 503, neither the Yamaha CLPs, neither the CA65. But the 507 is superb in this. Haven´t got a chance to listen to a CA95 by now.

Thanks! Yesterday I came to the same conclusion when playing a 507, 505 and 503. I've also tested (and agree with your assessment) of the other DPs you mentioned, including the CA95 (which still, in my opinion, didn't measure up to the sound of the 507). With headphones, it was hard to distinguish any difference between the 507 and 505. While the 503 had the same sound engine, the Ivory Feel touch was less satisfactory than the PHAIII. Since I simply need a DP for silent practice, I now have a better sense of which direction I might head now.......

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I personally like the Yamaha feel over the Roland. I compared the CLP470 and HP505 extensively. The Roland sound was ever so slightly better, but their thumping keybed drove me insane.

You won't get any silent play sessions with the Roland, even with headphones. The neighbours will wonder if you have anger issues!

Playing: Yamaha GC2
C
C
My brother has the Roland and I have Yamaha CLP 440. He says when his wife or children play with headphones, the thumping keys drive him nuts. My Yamaha has nearly silent keys. I am happy with the Yamaha.

Yamaha CLP 440 Delivered on April 16 2013
Started playing piano April 16 2013
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I tried several makers. I really liked the touch of the Rolands, but I found the keys too noisy and that was the main reason I didn't go for those as I know that it would extremely annoying to me if played without headphones and to everybody else if played with them!

I quite liked the Yamaha CPL470, but after trying the Kawai CA series I simply couldn't justify the extra expense and besides I prefer the touch and sound of the Kawai. I couldn't find any CS to try, but I believe that the main difference with the CA is the nicer cabinet? Somebody please comment on this.

If that is the main difference, personally I would go for the CA65 (I got one!:) instead of the CS4 as I don't think that a nicer cabinet makes up for a better action. Also, you have a USB to device connection with the CA65 so that you can record your music directly on a memory stick, which I think is a fantastic feature.

But really you have to try them in person, as at the end of the day the most important thing is how they feel to your touch, not to somebody else's. You might actually prefer the Yamaha's touch and sound or find that the noisy keybed of the Rolands is not a big issue to you.

--- Just saw this thread about new Roland models, and it seems that they have improved the noisy keybeds, so you might want to try some of these models. I really liked the touch, but the noise was driving me crazy.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2177201/New%20Roland%20digitals:%20HP508,%20HP.html#Post2177201

Last edited by evamar; 11/07/13 11:55 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
L
L
Hi veggie,

I was looking at the same pianos and ended up buying the Roland HP507 last night. I didn't notice the noisy keybed at all. I tried the CLP480, the Kawai CA65/95 and the Roland.

The Yamaha was my least favorite. I didn't even try the CLP440 after trying the CLP480. I went into this thinking I was going to get one of the Kawais and was really surprised at how much "better" the Roland felt under my fingers. But I did really like the Kawais as well- have you thought of trying them? I think I like "heavier" actions. Sound-wise, I would have been happy with any of the pianos I tried.

I wasn't even going to bother trying the Roland, and I'm so glad it was sitting right next to the Kawai - otherwise I would have missed out on the one that fits my needs best.

Good luck - I know the decision process can be a bit nerve-wracking.

P
P
Isn't Roland going to release HP 508, 506 and 504 soon? They are already on their japanese website.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission