2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by my88keys
Hello,

ok, I was talking so much about the black keys, that I feel I should substantiate my impression with pictures, so everyone can get their own idea - and maybe comment on observations on their VPC1. Without any further judgement, three pictures of the black keys / keytops on the unit that I received:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

my88keys

I just checked my new CA65 black keys and they are exactly like these ones, some with a better finish, some a bit rougher, but all joints are hidden by the height of the white keys, the line is under the visible level of the keybed. They are only visible when you get very close or when you use aumentation as those close up photos. There is a black material for the top of the key, which is the visible part, and at the bottom there is a black stained wooden part, which is not really visible.

I hadn't even noticed this until I saw your photos, but the touch and sound is as nice with the black keys as with the white ones, which is the most important thing for me.

Sorry to hear about the delivery issue, I hope they will send you a replacement soon. Never tried a VPC-1, and wonder if the RM3 Grand II action is better than the CA series GF.

If it is it must be really amazing!

Last edited by evamar; 10/25/13 07:23 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
M
M
Hievamar,

I think to remember, that there was a long and well documented discussion on the different Kawai actions, and that (your) GF is top of the line. Mainly due to the longer length of the keytop to pivot length. In consequence the force needed for the same hammer acceleration does not vary as much over the useable keylength. I further believe to remember guesses, that the GF would remain reserved for the top of the line models.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1991191/Kawai_CA95_keyboard_action_vs_.html

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hievamar,

I think to remember, that there was a long and well documented discussion on the different Kawai actions, and that (your) GF is top of the line. Mainly due to the longer length of the keytop to pivot length. In consequence the force needed for the same hammer acceleration does not vary as much over the useable keylength. I further believe to remember guesses, that the GF would remain reserved for the top of the line models.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1991191/Kawai_CA95_keyboard_action_vs_.html

Hi my88keys,
Many thanks for the link, I was just wondering because the CA95 and CA65 had the best touch and feel I could find (mind you, I haven't even tried a DP over 4KGBP, but those are completely out of my league anyway). I did try fast repetitions, at least as fast as I could manage, but really still years for me to be able to play very complicated pieces. I was very happy with the response, so I know that it will be able to handle all my playing levels.

Hope you'll get your replacement soon, it's really bad luck it arrived damaged.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
J
J
Hello,
ok, I was talking so much about the black keys, that I feel I should substantiate my impression with pictures, so everyone can get their own idea - and maybe comment on observations on their VPC1. Without any further judgement, three pictures of the black keys / keytops on the unit that I received:
[Linked Image]
my88keys

my88keys,
Here is a picture of the black keycap joins on my unit. They do seem a little smoother than those on the unit you received:

[Linked Image]

Jack
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Mine looked (much) better too ! It was perfect in looks and touch. I had one of the earliest units. Edit: to be sure things aren't taken out of context...

Could very well be exemplary. Perhaps other new owners of new (!) units can chime in and look if they have the same rough edges...

Perhaps it was a monday morning and some of the people at the assembly line weren't fully awake yet...

Last edited by JFP; 11/07/13 07:00 AM.
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mine looks fine - no rough edges. I think mine was manufactured in late July, according to the factory sticker on the box.

M
M
Hi JFP,
I enjoy seeing others looking critically at their units and reporting, but I would have regrets in bashing Kawai or the VPC1 for this. Its one detail of a complex product. They have done a lot for us by offering this model at this price point. Yet as a constructive message, I personally would probably still buy it if it was 200 Euro more expensive and with real wood keytops on the sharp keys or 100 Euro more if the plastic would either cleanly wrap around the edges of the wooden keysticks or was perfectly flush. And I would surely pay even more if it had all this and was based on the GF action...

I like the IF on the white keys by the way.

Joflah, thanks for your pictures of the diassembled unit!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
the new ones have some alterations in the production method and finishing touch (???)

This is not correct. The VPC1 production method has not changed.

Please do not post speculation as fact.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I was horrified today when I checked Guitar Center's website for the latest expected VCP1 availability and discovered it was no longer listed at their website. I had ordered it from them on October 11 and was still waiting. The last time I checked the listing for it the date expected was 12/6, but now they weren't listing it in their inventory at all. Then I checked my email and to my astonishment, there was an email dated this morning from GC saying "your order has been shipped."

I may have gotten the last one Kawai shipped to them before GC decided the supply issues were not going to work for them. Or maybe it's a return. Either way, I'm just hoping and praying that it will arrive undamaged, but at least I can return it easily enough if it doesn't.

Starr Keys, I do not know why the VPC1 is no longer listed on the Guitar Center website (this is really a matter for my colleagues at Kawai American), however I expect it is indeed related to limited availability in North America. Guitar Center may have already sold their shipment of VPC1 units for the month, so removed the product listing to prevent further back-orders.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that yours has finally shipped!

Cheers,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kawai James

This is not correct. The VPC1 production method has not changed.

Please do not post speculation as fact.

x

Originally Posted by JFP
Could very well be exemplary.
Perhaps it was a monday morning and some of the people at the assembly line weren't fully awake yet...

I wasn't inventing facts, just guessing what may have happened. Slip in one unit in the production line is what I was pointing at. About the change in production ; see the several question marks that accompanied that...

Cheers, J

Originally Posted by JFP
About the change in production ; see the several question marks that accompanied that...

Yes, I can interpret this to mean unsubstantiated speculation, however another reader may interpret it as fact. That person may then go on to re-post this point elsewhere ("I heard that the production method has changed in order to keep-up with demand"), and the mis-information continues to spread throughout the internet.

This is why I believe it's important to discredit any incorrect information as soon as it is posted.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Point taken, lesson learned, post changed, damage hopefully not done.

BTW; any Dutchies (Netherlands, region South&North- Holland) around still shopping for a VPC1? I had one reserved but changed it for a CA. It's now in stock at my music dealer at a fair price. PM me if interested.

Last edited by JFP; 11/07/13 07:04 AM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Starr Keys, I do not know why the VPC1 is no longer listed on the Guitar Center website (this is really a matter for my colleagues at Kawai American), however I expect it is indeed related to limited availability in North America. Guitar Center may have already sold their shipment of VPC1 units for the month, so removed the product listing to prevent further back-orders.

Without revealing anything secret or even official, has the VPC1 been selling well? I would feel happier if I knew it was a successful product and not likely to be discontinued and become one of those boards that costs way more on the used market than it ever did new.

Last edited by gvfarns; 11/09/13 01:52 AM.
I believe it's safe to say that VPC1 sales have exceeded expectations. wink

And not just in the US and Europe either. The product is selling in Japan and other parts of Asia, and we have even shipped a few units to regions that had previously never sold the MP or even ES models.

Cheers,
James
x

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
James, let me use your post to answer:

Congratulations to Kawai, and to you as well, for such a successful product!

Of all the digital boards I've played the VPC1 has been and continues to be the most satisfying in more than one way: Excellent action, just the right functionality (simple operation, selectable curves the one essential feature), great design, and I must add (in Europe) very reasonable price.

To me, emotional attachment has been great, and surprisingly remains great even after months of playing. It is only rivaled by the little red one sitting on top of it wink .

PS. Please give your colleagues a hint that we are still waiting for a MacOS update of the software...

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by maurus
PS. Please give your colleagues a hint that we are still waiting for a MacOS update of the software...

I don't mind the thought of using my old laptop to set up the velocity curve.
Would be nice to do it on my Mac though.
I do wonder if the curve will be the same on all Ivory II pianos? Uprights as well as Grands?

Financially, it appears to be working out for a VPC in my near future. Very near.
I'm just using restraint for everything to actually happen as expected.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rnaple
I do wonder if the curve will be the same on all Ivory II pianos? Uprights as well as Grands?

This topic is raised on the Q&A pages of the Kawaivpc.com website:

Q: The VPC1 features an 'Ivory II' approved touch curve, however Ivory II includes a family of different pianos (Steinway, Yamaha, Fazioli, Bosendorfer, etc.). Which of these pianos is best suited to the VPC1's touch curve?

A: The VPC1's 'Ivory' approved touch curve has been developed to provide the most realistic playing experience for all of the pianos included in the 'Ivory II' package. As explained by Joe Ierardi, co-founder of Synthogy:

"I checked the VPC1 with the American Concert D and all of our products before signing off on the touch curve, and they all work quite well with the VPC1 Ivory II Touch Curve. The VPC1 touch curve is a great fit for all of our pianos because all of our pianos were developed from the same response model, using the same methodology, with the goal of having all pianos respond uniformly the same from a single given controller.

We developed *our* internal touch curves to respond similarly to Ivory II Grand Pianos, which was our first product and the standard by which we gauge the playability of all of our pianos. We're very methodical in the way we do things, and our goal has always been to produce the same playability in every instrument, so that once a person has chosen a controller that they like, it will play the same on all the pianos."

I hope this helps Ron.

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
Hi all,

finally some good news in my VPC 1 story:

After some disappointment with my first VPC 1, which arrived damaged, functionally (roughly half of the keys did not respond), and cosmetically (there was damage due to a shock on the housing below the keys), I received the replacement today.

Despite some annoying glitches in the replacement process, I have to thank Thomann and UPS for their prompt response and help in returning the damaged unit. Once the unit was back, replacement was quick.

The new box was again a little torn and worn, and I was already nervous what I would find inside, but after unpacking everything appears to be fine and fully functional.

I had voiced some critics about the finish of the black keys (transition between plastic keytop and wooden keystick). I would like to say here that I was pleasantly surprised, that the finish on this unit is really better. I immediately noticed this. This confirms what several people had said about their units in subsequent comments.

Its too early to say anything more now. But I anyway had decided I want to like it, so I hope to enjoy it as much as many others around here...

Regards,

my88keys

my88keys, thank you for the update.

I'm glad to read that the damaged VPC1 was replaced quickly and efficiently by Thomann, and that the new board is working well.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission