Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2171937 - 10/25/13 04:52 PM Haydn killed by a cell phone
davaofthekeys Offline

On the subject on cell phones interrupting concerts, here is live footage of Christian Zacharias stopping in the middle of a piece due to an extremly obnoxious ringtone.

http://www.gsoplay.se/en/video/haydn-killed-cell-phone

It's just sad really, when you think about all the preperation a musician goes through to polish their playing, and it is ruined because one person in the audience is too dumb to turn their phone off.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2171944 - 10/25/13 05:02 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Ever seen this?

Polyphonist

#2171957 - 10/25/13 05:14 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Cell phone users are the new smokers. Don't they realize it's all a bunch of inconsequential twaddle...???

Nobody wants to hear about your colonoscopy, your husband's younger girlfriends, what you had for dinner last night, what your idiot child said, etc. etc. Put a lid on it, ferhevvinssake...

The world will thank you.

#2171961 - 10/25/13 05:21 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I like Buggs' direct approach.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2171972 - 10/25/13 05:37 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
The show must go on. No one would do this for a crying baby. No one [should] do this if they make a huge mistake. You push through it. Never stop.

It's not like there was an obnoxious drunk in the crowd who was genuinely a problem. That was just a little cell phone ringer -- hardly audible until he actually stopped playing.

#2171978 - 10/25/13 05:54 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: JoelW]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: JoelW
The show must go on. No one would do this for a crying baby. No one [should] do this if they make a huge mistake. You push through it. Never stop.

It's not like there was an obnoxious drunk in the crowd who was genuinely a problem. That was just a little cell phone ringer -- hardly audible until he actually stopped playing.

I agree. For heaven's sake - I have acute panic disorder and managed to "perform" in public as a teacher and public speaker. Disruptions, diversions and disrespect are part of any public show. Choosing to stand up comes without an option to stop. One exception: you just plain faint away from nerves. Other than that the show goes on.

#2171980 - 10/25/13 06:00 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I gotta be honest -- when I first read the title of this thread, my initial thought was that a time traveler had dropped their cell phone from a high place and had struck Haydn in the head, killing him.

#2171985 - 10/25/13 06:11 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
A Guy Online   content

Loc: St Louis
^when I saw this thread, i had a moment of stupidity and thought that newly found evidence showed that it was Haydn's cell phone that lead to his death. Forgot cell phones weren't invented yet

Edited by A Guy (10/25/13 06:11 PM)
Haydn Hob XVI 50 movement 1
Chopin Ballade 3
Liszt Hungarian rhapsody 8
York Bowen toccata

www.youtube.com/channel/UCKqmkVdn_41vKvDG-ELy0bg

#2171988 - 10/25/13 06:14 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Minnesota Marty Offline

It is also considered rude to bring an infant to a concert/recital. Babysitters were invented long ago and churches even have "crying rooms."

#2171995 - 10/25/13 06:24 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: JoelW]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Cell phones I'm not sure about what's appropriate but I have never been to a concert where someone even brought a baby. In a normal concert venue I doubt they'd even allow one in.

If the performer makes a mistake that's in an entirely different category than someone else causing the disruption.

#2172002 - 10/25/13 06:42 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I have to agree with Zacharias on this issue. But first, one doesn't bring an infant to a formal concert, so being interrupted by an infant crying should not be part of the argument.

Secondly, not only did the cell phone ring at a quiet moment in the concerto, the cell phone owner didn't turn the cell phone off, but just let it ring on.

Cell phones and concert etiquette have existed together long enough that people should know that their devices must be turned off in a concert. That occurrence has to be the height of ignorance.

#2172014 - 10/25/13 07:21 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I'd have probably gone nuts. I think people that interrupt concerts (or movies) with their cell phones ought to be put in stocks for a couple of days with the ringtone playing continuously in their ear.

#2172038 - 10/25/13 08:20 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: davaofthekeys

It's just sad really, when you think about all the preperation a musician goes through to polish their playing, and it is ruined because one person in the audience is too dumb to turn their phone off.

I agree. And don't forget the disrespect to all the concert goers who go to the concert to enjoy lovely live music. To me the biggest thing is that the phone went off not once, but twice!

#2172048 - 10/25/13 08:49 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Amaruk]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Mikhail Pletnev once played all the way through Beethoven's Waldstein when the venue's fire alarm went off, without batting an eyelid. Because he stayed put and kept playing, and no official came in to shout 'Fire!', everyone stayed in their seats.

And the whole concert was recorded by the BBC for future broadcast. I was looking forward very much to hear the Waldstein accompanied by the fire alarm (or should that be the fire alarm accompanied by Beethoven?) when the concert was eventually broadcast, but the announcer instead explained what happened and said that he was going to substitute Pletnev's CD recording of it in its place instead. What a spoilsport....

#2172054 - 10/25/13 09:04 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
davaofthekeys Offline

I think the audience has a responsibility to be quiet during classical concerts. It's not that hard to be quiet for an hour. What would the audience say if the pianist was coughing in the middle of a solo? Have you ever seen that happen? No. Because the pianist knows how to hold it in.

Here is my view on noise from the audience from a real life example: I had tickets to Martha Argerich playing the Ravel G major Concerto some years back, but unluckily I got a persistent cough on the same day. I stuffed myself full of nose-spray and cough drops, got dressed up and went to the concert anyway hoping to keep it together. As the audience was settling in and the orchestra tuning up, the cough came back, and I knew I couldn't suppress it. At this point, I had two options: stay and ruin the performance for everybody, or give up the expensive ticket and go home.

Naturally I did the latter. I have zero tolerance even towards myself shocked

#2172061 - 10/25/13 09:35 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: BruceD]
bellamusica Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
... not only did the cell phone ring at a quiet moment in the concerto, the cell phone owner didn't turn the cell phone off, but just let it ring on.

Cell phones and concert etiquette have existed together long enough that people should know that their devices must be turned off in a concert. That occurrence has to be the height of ignorance.

I almost have to wonder if these two points are related - it was so obvious the offender should have silenced their phone that when it started ringing they were too embarrassed to reach for it and turn it off, which would have revealed they were the one who had committed the social faux pas!

#2172077 - 10/25/13 10:12 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: bennevis]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Mikhail Pletnev once played all the way through Beethoven's Waldstein when the venue's fire alarm went off, without batting an eyelid. Because he stayed put and kept playing, and no official came in to shout 'Fire!', everyone stayed in their seats.

What Pletnev did could have endangered many people. He should have stopped until it was determined that it was a false alarm and resume after the alarm had been silenced. It is hardly a situation where the Waldstein is of the most importance.

#2172097 - 10/25/13 10:57 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: JoelW]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong

The thing is, that concert goer, if has any respect for the performers and the rest of the audience, should have turned off his/her phone before the concert started. It's basic manner, like you don't show other people what you are chewing on dinner table.

The reason why you didn't hear it clearly enough is because of the microphone settings. Most of those are pointing toward the piano/instruments, instead of the audience.

The show must go on, yes. Then where do you draw the line? Until the phone rings exactly a augmented 4th above your melody line?

Edited by Alan Lai (10/25/13 10:58 PM)

#2172098 - 10/25/13 10:59 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Alan Lai]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alan Lai
The show must go on, yes. Then where do you draw the line? Until the phone rings exactly a augmented 4th above your melody line?

Things will take care of themselves.

#2172100 - 10/25/13 11:01 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Alan Lai]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The thing is, that concert goer, if has any respect for the performers and the rest of the audience, should have turned off his/her phone before the concert started. It's basic manner, like you don't show other people what you are chewing on dinner table.

The reason why you didn't hear it clearly enough is because of the microphone settings. Most of those are pointing toward the piano/instruments, instead of the audience.

Marc-Andre Hamelin's trick is the best. He starts playing this. grin

Polyphonist

#2172105 - 10/25/13 11:10 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2172106 - 10/25/13 11:10 PM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Polyphonist]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

ROFL that's hilarious!!!

#2172123 - 10/26/13 12:45 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: davaofthekeys
I think the audience has a responsibility to be quiet during classical concerts. It's not that hard to be quiet for an hour. What would the audience say if the pianist was coughing in the middle of a solo? Have you ever seen that happen? No. Because the pianist knows how to hold it in.
Actually, yes. I attended a recital where the pianist had to leave the stage due to a coughing spell. Granted, such happenings are rare.

Quote:
Here is my view on noise from the audience from a real life example: I had tickets to Martha Argerich playing the Ravel G major Concerto some years back, but unluckily I got a persistent cough on the same day. I stuffed myself full of nose-spray and cough drops, got dressed up and went to the concert anyway hoping to keep it together. As the audience was settling in and the orchestra tuning up, the cough came back, and I knew I couldn't suppress it. At this point, I had two options: stay and ruin the performance for everybody, or give up the expensive ticket and go home.

That must have been extremely disappointing.
Thank you for doing the right thing.

#2172139 - 10/26/13 01:49 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

REALLY??????? Give me a break. If it was barely audible, I doubt he'd have heard it. Clearly, you've little/no experience performing. Please let me know when you decide to give a recital. I'll be there.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2172156 - 10/26/13 02:27 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
REALLY???????

Yup.

#2172185 - 10/26/13 04:21 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Cassiesmom Offline

Loc: Mid Atlantic, US.

#2172194 - 10/26/13 04:56 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Polyphonist]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Genius.

And for you Bach fans:

Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2172195 - 10/26/13 05:02 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: davaofthekeys]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
He must definitively was right to stop. If you never make people aware of how rude they are, there is no limit to what they will do.
On a side note, thank you for posting this link. I wasn't aware of this site (GSO Play) and I think I will enjoy it a lot smile

Jean-Luc

#2172197 - 10/26/13 05:25 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: Ferdinand]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

I've done this. Only I didn't get to go home. My daughters were still in there! So I spent almost two hours in the lobby, watching the concert on the silent monitors above the entryway. Joy of joys.
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2172198 - 10/26/13 05:33 AM Re: Haydn killed by a cell phone [Re: bellamusica]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: bellamusica
Originally Posted By: BruceD
... not only did the cell phone ring at a quiet moment in the concerto, the cell phone owner didn't turn the cell phone off, but just let it ring on.

I almost have to wonder if these two points are related - it was so obvious the offender should have silenced their phone that when it started ringing they were too embarrassed to reach for it and turn it off, which would have revealed they were the one who had committed the social faux pas!

IIRC, in a previous discussion about this same situation, the perpetrator claimed it was an alarm and his phone was off. I don't know if this is the same incident. Regardless, people should not even be allowed to bring the devices in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (aesop, accordeur, A Guy, 45 invisible), 1672 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156267 Topics
2294952 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
44 minutes 48 seconds ago
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
Today at 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
Today at 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
Today at 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
Today at 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission