2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2172057 10/25/13 09:26 PM
S
Sweet06 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
How can I find a church to play free for? I'm not religious but i'll pretend so I can play each weekend! Do I just walk into churches and ask? Would it be advisable to just go along with being religious or should I tell them I'm only interested in giving to the community and creating a win/win situation?
I just figure churches would be easiest to find a gig AND easiest for a relatively new beginner. I'm open to other gig suggestions if anyone has a better idea!

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I imagine that churches might:
a. be happy to have you no matter what
b. have a strong interest in having you subscribe to their religion
c. be some combination of a and b

Give 'em a call.

Learner
S
Sweet06 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yea, I just don't know what type of reactions I'll get when i say "yea, i have no interest in what you offer and I don't even believe in God! however i'd like to give you guys a service free for a mutually beneficial reason!"

I feel like I'll have to skip around that bush haha. im most definitely not against religion, i just don't subscribe. to each their own.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Sweet06
Yea, I just don't know what type of reactions I'll get when i say "yea, i have no interest in what you offer and I don't even believe in God! however i'd like to give you guys a service free for a mutually beneficial reason!"

I feel like I'll have to skip around that bush haha. im most definitely not against religion, i just don't subscribe. to each their own.

You should hang out with the Unitarian Universalists. While not wanting to give nor receive validation here, since being a UU I've been able to play anything from Bach to Zappa at my church.

I did explain to them at first every reason why they wouldn't like me, and that I didn't like churches in general, and one reply I got was 'yeah, you'll probably fit in!'. grin

I used to be THE music person there, now I'm 'a' music person there. It's good.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
Honesty is frequently the best policy. Just tell them the truth about who you are, what you can do and why you want to be there. If they say yes, cool. If not, then that's not your church to play in, and it wasn't meant to be.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I agree that Unitarian Universalists are more open than most, but even there, I think it's advisable to go and visit for at least one service before offering music. That will give you an idea of what the general level and style of music is. Some churches are pretty professional about their music (even among Unitarians) and might not be a good venue for relative beginners. (Robert Shaw was music director of a Unitarian church in Cleveland for some time, maybe before he got to be a famous choral conductor.) Other churches might be happy for anything they can get (though even a lot of these might have their own amateurs).

1989 Baldwin R
I'm curious and nothing more. But why play for a church if you don't have the same feelings and beliefs as the ones you would be playing for?

I can understand how it would benefit the church, especially since many are having a hard time finding a pianist. But if I can be nosy, what benefit would you get?

It would be a great help to those who need it, and likely appreciated. But I think honesty about what you are wanting to do would be the best.

Hope you don't mind me asking, I'm just curious.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
I agree that you should be honest with the church about your intentions.
Also, what level did you say you play? I believe you said late-beginner.
Some people assume that the music played in churches is usually not very advanced.
You might be surprised. Most churches I know, including the one I serve at, will play music that is quite advanced.

What pieces do you have in your repertoire, if you don't mind me asking?
Also, you should realize that most churches will look for people who can accompany a choir or a solo or a worship team. Not many churches will have lots of solo piano music as part of their services. There could be some churches though, who might be seeking for instrumental music during Communion or the Offering.

If you are looking for places to play, you can begin by looking at community centers or perhaps nursing homes. Most nursing homes will have a piano, and the audience is usually quite appreciative.

Please share more about your experience as you move forward.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Florentin
If you are looking for places to play, you can begin by looking at community centers or perhaps nursing homes. Most nursing homes will have a piano, and the audience is usually quite appreciative.

+1

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
How can I find a church to play free for? I'm not religious but i'll pretend so I can play each weekend! Do I just walk into churches and ask? Would it be advisable to just go along with being religious or should I tell them I'm only interested in giving to the community and creating a win/win situation?
I just figure churches would be easiest to find a gig AND easiest for a relatively new beginner. I'm open to other gig suggestions if anyone has a better idea!

If you don`t do the religion, you won`t feel the music. When you do feel the music, you will be doing the religion. And you won`t be sorry. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by peterws
If you don`t do the religion, you won`t feel the music. When you do feel the music, you will be doing the religion. And you won`t be sorry. . .

You caused me to think of an African American Church. Those people really really get into their music. I'm imagining them telling her: Oh honey. Don't you worry one bit. You just do your best to keep up. We'll carry you. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Depends on where you are. In most major cities, at least the piano player is typically a paid professional. I've played for tons of church services over the years (do a lot of subbing for the main players) and it's usually a mix of paid players and volunteers. The volunteers usually are from the congregation though.

Having said that, I've never been asked if I believe in their religion when I'm hired to play. If that kind of work interests you, it doesn't hurt to tell some places that you're a piano player and offer to fill in when their regular guy can't make it. Especially if you're in a smaller town that relies mainly on volunteer players. Be sure you can do a good job though and play what they need (usually either hymns or contemporary worship songs), or you might not be asked back.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Just listened to some of your work at facebook ... hey, nice playing buddy! Is that a volkswagon engine?

Council on Aging sometimes have pianos there to be played.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not religious

Maybe someone is calling you.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Church gigs are good paying gigs. They often have pipe organs rather than pianos. If you can read well, the church will have a book containing all the hymnals and you can practice those. It's typically 400 or so short pieces, 3-4 or 5 voices.
Small towns can have trouble finding qualified organists.
You could consider joining or auditioning for your local organist chapter.
You shouldn't have to join any religion, but you should be familiar with the repertoire. You'll be contacted for weddings, funerals, baptism etc... So you will be playing at moments that are important in people's lives. Like I said, it pays well. Many jazz pianist still go to play church gigs on their way to the brunch gig.
Church gigs are for real, you can play them for many many years, truly enjoy them, and make decent money at the same time.

Also, you may be surprised but a lot of people have organs at home. They are horribly heavy but you can get one cheap. Mason used to make them, they are still on ebay and elsewhere. They would be great for practicing because the drawbars work the same, and it has foot pump, pedals, volume etc...

If you're just looking to play piano for free, a retirement home might also be a good gig. Bring arrangements of peppy tunes and entertain. Some retirement homes are large, and some are really small, like a person's house. If sing, that's a big plus.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yep, Ed Alstrom is good at it with Odetta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOGXiYruaug

and Church of the Redeemer, Morristown, NJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmSdyIhk78&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiMGn3wstCN1ZlM3I6i-XoA

...and from his bio:

Alstrom realized a childhood dream in 2004 when he was asked to be the weekend (Sat/Sun) Organist at YANKEE STADIUM, where he filled the seat at the mighty Hammond Colonnade formerly occupied by the great Eddie Layton, who retired after a 37-year stint. From the time he was 9 years old and his father took him to his first Yankee game against the Washington Senators ... young Alstrom heard that organ at the Stadium and said, "I wanna do THAT". He never dreamed he'd actually get to do it!!

Last edited by Rerun; 10/26/13 10:03 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Hymns are dead easy. There's hardly ever more than four notes at a time, rarely faster than quarter notes at moderate tempo, never goes above or below the staff, never any syncopation or weird rhythms, never any strange key signatures.

That's just to lure you in. Once you start playing them, it's a different story. Be sure you can actually do what you're offering.

I can't tell you how many times we've had a guest organist blaze through a fantastic prelude, then crash and burn on a simple hymn. It looks easier than it is.

gotta go practice
C
C

To find a church to play for, simply look at a Google map of your area, type in churches, choose one & turn up for the Sunday service. I'm sure they will be glad to see you.

If I was in your shoes I would simply sit through the service & not announce that you play the piano until you are sure you can make a positive contribution. After a process of elimination you should find what you are looking for.

Checkout this Article http://www.ehow.com/how_5542371_play-piano-church.html

Apart from knowing Hymns you will also have to know Contemporary Christian music & have the ability to play in numerous keys : Good Luck & please let us know how you get on.

I am learning to play the piano. My main influences are Gospel, R&B and Jazz piano
Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
If I was in your shoes I would simply sit through the service & not announce that you play the piano until you are sure you can make a positive contribution.

+1.

It's not all hymns, these days. Depending on who's playing, and what music they're playing, you may find that _you_ should be learning from _them_.

My choir sang at a church tonight. Their "house PA system" was running a 20-channel mixer, all set up for a good-sized band.

Take a look at 'gospelmusicians.com' -- some good chops, there.

. Charles

PS -- I just stumbled on a related thread, here:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2171526/gonew/1/Reading%20From%20Church%20Hymnal:%20Su.html#UNREAD

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 10/27/13 02:35 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Since I have been a church pianist for 30 years (sad to say), I know that there is a huge need for pianists. However, church pianists typically need these skills:

1) Sight-reading (arranged music for choirs and groups; not too hard but not beginner stuff either)
2) Improvisation (hymnals are not designed for pianists to play from; they just contain vocal parts. Pianists have to read from hymnals, identify the harmony and improvise on it. In modern churches, the music is not from hymnals but is provided in lead sheet or chart form and requires even more improvisation).
3) Playing by ear (you can get along without this for a while but eventually you will need it)

There are some churches where the music is quite intimidating. Most churches are using volunteers and the quality is not great. Getting paid for that kind of work is not easy by the way though obviously earn money playing in church.

Last edited by Greg Howlett; 11/04/13 12:06 AM.

Free downloads, arrangements, piano lessons and tips for pianists at http://www.greghowlett.com/freechristianpianomusic.aspx
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission