Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
70 registered (AZNpiano, ando, 20 invisible), 1062 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#2165877 - 10/14/13 02:13 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
1. Mozart sonata for two pianos in D Allegro Molto Piano 1 - Mid term recital is coming up. I played it on Thursday with my teacher. Wasn't good. She told me to put aside other pieces and focus on this. Played my part only on Saturday studio. It got better. Need to work on the tricky spots. Slow practice so that I could read & play under pressure.

2. Chopin Mazurka Op 63 #3 - It's very simple yet interesting. Made good progress but need to put this one on the back burner until the recital is over.

3. Schubert Sonata Op 120 2nd movement - love this piece, the harmony, modulations and the sparkling touch of flat six. Can't stop playing this piece...

4. Bach f minor P&F WTC Book - I've done only 10 min

5. Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1 - worked on the B section for 30 min. Wish I had more time.

6. Chopin Nocturn Op 27 #2 - I'm putting it off.

7. Mozart Fantasie c minor K. 475 - I read the first two pages. It's not easy.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2166068 - 10/14/13 01:19 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Hi Everyone! Hope you are all having a good practice week!

I’ve had wrist pain this week so need to be careful!

1.Beethoven Moonlight 3rd Mvt—I thought the honeymoon was over but I’m still having so much fun practicing this piece, even though it is out of my league. Played it through from memory yesterday, but had to stop and think hard in a couple of spots. Even so, it was exciting. There are places in the score with big stretches and I must learn to play/practice these spots without injuring my hands. The alberti bass especially when played with the RH is challenging. The little turns at the end of some of the octave chords are very difficult. I’d like to get the piece to half tempo against Valentina Lisitsa’s performance. Once all the parts are there, I can increase it. The trouble spots will be challenging enough to get to this tempo. First though is getting my memory to fire this quickly. Guess that is the goal to work towards this week, plus the broken chords at the very end of the piece.

2.Chopin Mazurka 17/4-This week: what to do with page 3? Also the last half of page 4.

3.Mysterious Barricades-may or may not be ready for November recital. I’d like to get the tempo going so might wait until next spring to submit it. In which case, what to submit for November? I started Sibelius 24/7 (Andantino) but not sure I can have it presentable in time.

#2166143 - 10/14/13 02:54 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: sinophilia]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Originally Posted By: zrtf90

Secondly, many of the pieces I learn are below my technical level and offer no difficulty other than memorising and interpreting.

The problem for beginners is that there are virtually no pieces below one's technical level. After one year and a half, even a simple 16-bar piece still requires a lot of work. This is hard to accept for me at times. But there are still plenty of satisfying moments.

Thank you for the inside view on your practicing.

Agreed... sometimes I play Mary Had a Little Lamb when I'm feeling down on myself. I still stumble.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2166152 - 10/14/13 03:16 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: sinophilia]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA

The problem for beginners is that there are virtually no pieces below one's technical level.
Yes, and theoretically we will always be beginners, in a sense. Each time we progress to the next level, we are beginners again. I guess we will always be struggling on pieces. At least on pieces that will help us develop. eek

#2167328 - 10/16/13 04:44 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
The problem for beginners is that there are virtually no pieces below one's technical level.
I've given this a lot of thought.

One's technical level is neither fixed nor absolute. Based on your playing in the ABF Recitals and even more on your playing in the Grieg, your own level is increasing rapidly. You have a sensitivity with your playing that puts within your reach pieces that might be graded above you simply because of the interpretive demands and musical intelligence. You need to explore more, perhaps.

What's difficult for you, or easy, may not necessarily be the level of the piece.

Let me give you some examples.

I'm currently working on Bach's Prelude In C, BWV 933, the first of six. One of the biggest problems I've been having is in M7. The measure closes with an ascending run from D but closes with C natural and A. For weeks I played a C# on the first run through of the week like a D major scale and even at the close of the week the C natural was a hit or miss affair. This is not a technical difficulty but it sure held me up and needed no less work.

The first half of the same measure descends from C to F# beginning on 5 (C-B-A-G-F#, 5-4-3-1-3). Remembering to play 1 and not 2 on the G took an age.

These two little intricacies (each easy material played hands separately) took just as long to solve, and just as much isolation work as 'real' technical difficulties.

In Liszt's Schlummerlied, Slumber Song, No. 7, in Weihnachtsbaum the RH chords in M11, M13 and M15 are playable enough but are difficult moving into while alternating 1 and 2 and spreading the LH chords below. They're a bit of a stretch for the inner fingers. In M17-18 getting the 4th finger to play AT ALL took more 'work' than the rest of the page combined and continues to defy comfort.

In M30 there's a little RH run/arpeggio from C# to a tied D# at the top (how hard is it to NOT play the tied D#?!) but the first chord of M31 is almost impossible to play gently or without A# sounding. And this is one hand. I could spend a full 20 minutes on M30-31, RH alone without the LH flying over it and back.

These difficulties each take the same amount of time to solve, the same slow isolation work and the same amount of effort. The Bach is 16 bars, rated about grade 5, mechanically easy but incredibly frustrating while the Liszt is about grade 7, mechanically difficult (and equally frustrating) but the level of the piece does not give a good indication for me. You may be able to play M7 of the Bach at sight (RH only), maybe not M17-18 of the Liszt.

On the other hand the Brahms Ballad I'm planning for the recital upcoming is 71 bars, rated harder, grade 8, was a doddle to memorise (after analysing the rich chords in the climax and following bars) and offers no mechanical or technical difficulties. It moves off my pile far more quickly than the Bach. It's practically done bar the recording even now. The Liszt may not make Christmas this year if I don't put in some extra time - I started it for last Christmas and may need to shelve it again this year and try for next Christmas (2014).

If I'm not mistaken you've done Alfred's (some people have taken two years on book one, that's better than thirty pieces a year). You should be able to pick pieces from Mikrokosmos, Schumann's or Tchaikovsky's Album for the Young (op. 68 and 39 respectively), Burgmüller's op. 100 that won't take too long if time is spent working on small areas of difficulty and not trying to play them through. If you're heading for sonatas via Clementi or Kuhlau you might spend ten minutes a day working through Beyer's Op. 101. It's very progressive and introduces the kind of patterns you'll meet in classical works and gets you almost sight reading them. I find it far more engaging than Alfred's even if it isn't repertory material.

I don't know the direction you're heading so I don't know how appropriate this material is but it should give an idea of where you are. Taking your time solving problems in one or two bar stretches is more productive than playing stuff over and over and reduces the difficulty of future pieces (as well as the piece it's in) and increases you level to boot, but you need to explore to find out where that is. It's not the grade of the piece but the difficulty level for you.

#2167458 - 10/17/13 01:16 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Thank you Richard! Difficulty is definitely subjective. Actually I'm more and more convinced that there is no easy piano music - even in 4-bar sight-reading exercises, there are a thousand details that one can work on, it just depends on how good you want them to sound.

I'm currently working mainly on 1-page Baroque and Classical pieces. There are interesting technical problems in each one of them. The last one is a Gipsy Dance by Haydn, and although it's just a handful of notes, there's a tricky mix of staccato and legato in both hands, and it's supposed to be played quite fast. Mozart's Allegro (K1c) was deceptively easy to read, but it was hard to combine the two hands in the first line with the right sprightly rhythm. The score in Pianist magazine had this tip: "Start off by practicing very slowly and only increase the tempo when notes are secure". So they also thought this part had difficulties. Now that I can play this fast I recorded it and found that it's not as smooth as I'd like. I might be getting a bit too picky; sometimes I think a teacher would just tell me that it's okay and to move on. Not because I play these things perfectly, but because it's the best I can do right now.

On one hand I like to work on a piece until I can get a decent recording, which invariably means weeks. On the other hand I'd like to have more "throw-away" pieces and force myself to play new music every day, albeit badly, which would also help sight-reading.

In my search for suitable music to study I downloaded all the works you mention, except the Beyer (which I'm downloading right now!). So much to do, but I'm lazy, that's the problem. I should spend much more time at the keyboard. Now I must figure out a good plan for the winter!

#2168902 - 10/20/13 11:46 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, I haven't spent nearly as much time as my goal in the last couple of weeks, but it does seem that the time I have spent has been productive.

I have a couple of new pieces I want to put in my repertoire - the Joplin recital piece, and another turn-of-the-last century piece that's short and sweet but quite lively - and then I've been trying to revive/review/better understand so I can play them at the drop of a hat *all* of my repertoire.

So with the rep, I played about 1/2 of them that I use less often for 3 gigs last month, and then traded out half of those for another set to use in gigs this month, thinking that way I'd have 10 or so I'd already reviewed, and another 10 or so that I could get in to more deeply.

With the new-review-this-month ones I've been going back over the chord progressions, placing them within the key, understanding again that Bb7 diminished looks remarkably like A7 and sometimes they function alike, at least as far as I can tell, trying to recognize similar progressions in different tunes, and some of those have refreshed fairly quickly, which is encouraging.

With my new old/lively piece I started by trying to figure out the chords myself, and seeing if I could go from there to having some frills and variations that I could hear in my head and needed to find on the piano. I was pretty frustrated the first day. Pop pieces from the early 1900's often can mostly be harmonized with I/IV/V, but usually there's somewhere that throws in a ii or II7. But if you really want them to sound pop-ish like the original, there's a lot more times they run around the circle of 5ths, or use those magic diminished chords. So I also reviewed a couple of other similar tunes to try to see when they used the snappy harmonies, went online and found guitar chords (sometimes I have trouble figuring out the chords because I'm not sure what's just a passing note, or, the Bb7/A7 thing confuses me), and compared them with the sheet music, and wrote out the chords the sheet music used. So when I went back to the piano that helped a lot. I was relieved.

And then I found that the work on the Joplin right-hand octaves had helped with some right-hand octaves in the rest of my repertoire, and that the work I had previously done on understanding some of them had helped in bringing them back fast, and in upping some of the tempos, so that was a surprise and a mood-lifter laugh

So all in all, it appears that focusing, even tho that cuts down on the time I can actually play because it wears me out faster laugh , actually has benefits. At least, I'm going to attribute those benefits to it right now laugh

So I hope, with that good feedback in the loop, that maybe I can get back to playing a little more during the day, even if I get worn out in any particular session. We'll see. It's an adventure - with some slogging in it it laugh

Cathy

#2169064 - 10/20/13 06:38 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sounds like you're having fun, Cathy.

Are we missing some people here? There seems less to read since last week.

My FOYD update...

The Brahms Ballad is being played through as one piece now and is almost ready for recording. I think I'll take a few days off from it and see if it benefits from a rest and some assimilation time.

Trolltog is in bits again while I finish it off. I'm just going slow while I cement the joins together between the sections.

Bach Little Prelude BWV 933. This went right first time on Monday after not having played it for six weeks and it's gone well all week after the isolation work I did last time. It's done now for the year. It's taken longer than planned which is not uncommon with Bach.

I've put the Bach Sinfonia and Scarlatti Sonata Kp. 531 back for next year as I won't finish them this year and I want to wrap up my remaining pieces quickly now and prepare the Joplin and ABF recital pieces so I went back to Kp. 159 again this week. I started the development section and it's feeling comfortable. My time on Bach and Scarlatti has suffered from the Mendelssohn and Grieg recitals this year.

The Beethoven Andante is another piece untouched for six weeks but is largely memorised apart from one sticking point and two fingering insecurities needing isolation.

I've done the first third of the middle section in the Dvorak Silhouette. That leaves about two weeks worth to be memorised plus a couple of runs that transition back to the main theme. These will take some extra work.

Chopin Nocturne Op. 27/1. This is basically a left hand etude in arpeggios using hand shifts instead of turning under. It will take some time but it's not unattainable. I've been listening to it a lot and I'm looking forward to this; it's probably my favourite of the nocturnes. I've started on M84-93 as it meets all the challenges of the first 28 measures in a shorter space.

I refreshed the Mendelssohn Funeral March this week. It's a great piece to play through after working on the Brahms. There are some hefty chords before the coda and they haven't improved any with the absence. They weren't played con forza for the recital and they still need some more practise before I can give them their full due but the piece does feel alike on old friend now.

The week ahead includes Scarlatti's Kp. 443, Schubert's Ständchen, Chopin's Prelude no. 2, Schlummerlied and the Pine Apple Rag. Mozart's Fantasy is this week's repertoire refresh piece.

#2169234 - 10/21/13 02:16 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi everyone! Richard, I didn't post last week because I'm working on fairly repetitive things. I won't be exploring any new materials probably for a few more months because I don't want to get sidetracked with getting my Chopin and Debussy pieces up to performance level. My teacher assures me I'm very close with both.

I've finally spent enough time with Clair de Lune that I'm slowly getting the fingering revisions under control in measures 19-23. I have a piano lesson scheduled for this week. I expect the teacher will notice some improvements with Clair de Lune. I'm slowly adjusting to the fingering revisions on Page 2. However, there are so many other measures I'm doing work on in small bits. I am spending more time with measure 49-52 as well.

Prelude in D-Flat Major, Opus 28, No. 15 (Chopin) - I've been so obsessed with Debussy that I've been neglecting Chopin. However, I played it through today and measures 70 thru 90 are coming along pretty well. I haven't played this for my teacher in nearly a month. I'll be getting some more feedback when we meet this week.

Gymnopedie 1 - I finally got started with it this today. I played it in the Satie recital last year as a work in progress. However, I decided to bring it back and work more thoroughly on the dynamics. This week, I will begin memorizing page 1.

Hanon & O Holy Night - I'm just keeping these on my work list. I don't have a plan yet, but will do run throughs for problem areas, or exercises.

That's it for me. I hope you all have a great week! smile

#2169270 - 10/21/13 07:04 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Griffin -- I hear you on the obsession with Claire de Lune. It gets under one's skin and it's hard to get over it.

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
For the 11/15 recital I'm working on Bach Prelude in C, BWV 846. My goals to complete by 10/20:
  • 1) Slow slow slow, get it right.
  • 2) Don't look at hands, except briefly for certain jumps.
  • 3) Have 1st half under the fingers.
  • 4) Have last 4 measures under the fingers.
I'm happy with my progress on BWV 846. I've nailed down fingering for the 1st 20 measures, as well as the last three, that I am comfortable that I will stick with. This is a very big deal for me, as switching it up later is always so disruptive.

I don't have them quite memorized, but I can play these measures fairly smoothly and slowly and it sounds musical. I have trouble resisting the temptation to move up to something close to full speed on sections where I am more comfortable. Not looking at hands is going pretty well also. There are spots where I am not looking where previously I felt like I really needed to look.

I've experimented a bit with dynamics, but am having great trouble both in having a clear plan and in execution. It's very hard to crescendo or decrescendo, I wind up being very clunky and uneven.

Goals for completion by 10/27:

1) Work on MM21 through the end, same as before, just trying to get them "under the fingers".

2) Slow down on MM1-20, get rid of the flubs. Use the metronome to make sure I've really gotten rid of them (i.e. that I'm not glossing over hesitations).

3) On last three measures, keep plugging away on consistency and fluidity. Use metronome.

4) Record a bit, to hear what I might be missing. When I try to play it evenly (no dynamics), does it sound as even and musical as I think it is?

5) Use metronome to set a target speed for performance. I'd like to have a sense of where I'm trying to go with this.

Richard -- thanks for your very thorough (as always!) write up. I'll look at that in more detail later as part of my effort to come up with dynamics that make sense to me. My Piano Handbook edition is marked to crescendo steadily as tension builds, which I don't like. I find that this actually detracts from the tension, and that it can be ratcheted up much more so by dialing it back as the tension builds, then crescendo right before the release -- at least on a delicate piece like this. Whether I can pull it off is another story.

XXIX-XXXII

#2172748 - 10/27/13 12:48 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
griffin2417 Offline

I can't believe how quickly this week has gone! I won't be meeting my teacher this week. However, I have plenty to do this week. We've decided it's time to start preparing both the Chopin and Debussy pieces for live performances, possibly as early as December. That may a bit too soon. However, I'm being flexible on this.

The major amount of my time with Clair de Lune this week will be with measures 49-62. I want to have it completely memorized by the end of the week.

Prelude in D-Flat Major, Opus 28, No. 15 (Chopin) - I want to memorize measures 76-89 by the end of this week.

O Holy Night - I'm planning to start recording next weekend until I have a decent enough performance to share with friends for the holiday season. .

Gymnopedie 1 - I didn't get anything done with this last week. I'm not sure I'll have much time this coming week. We'll see how it goes with my other non music activities. Also, I'm not sure I can do any real justice to working on it until I'm further along with the other pieces.

That's it for me. Have a great week! smile

#2172757 - 10/27/13 01:20 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Hi Everyone! I've been slow to update my goals. This week, (and the last two weeks) the focus is mainly Mazurkas.

1.Mazurka 17/4-Preparing for *possible* submission for the December 16th recital on the PC forum. Work on:
a) mostly legato LH throughout
b) the ornamental notes on page three (ugh!)
c) accuracy note-wise through last half of last page
d)get the tiny notes throughout more evenly paced.

2.Mazurka 68/4-I'm giving this one a try too. Still getting the notes under my fingers, and also working on legato. Legato for the middle section, and legato before that in bars 32-39. Also try to add some dynamics.

3.I recorded Sibelius 24/7 which is just a work in progress but hope to submit something to the November ABF recital. I only started this piece recently so am just hoping for a submission that is somewhat tolerable for listening. We’ll see if I can get an improvement b4 recital time.

4.Moonlight 3rd Mvt-This piece got some rest the past week. It is mostly memorized (yay!) in that I can get through the notes of the piece now without the score, although my brain is slow in several places. I’d like to get the piece going to half tempo. Things to focus on:
a) steady and quiet alberti bass,
b)those octaves with the trill/turns,
c)memory on 47-48 and 53-55 (exposition), as well as 142-43 and 148-51(recap)-the hardest part for me memory-wise;
d) timing in development bars 90-93;
e) bars 33-40 and similar bars in recap,--why can’t I get this to sound right? (timing?)
f) broken chords at the very end of the piece. How to make them sound other than a bunch of broken chords?

Edited by Valencia (10/27/13 02:19 PM)

#2172924 - 10/27/13 08:35 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, in the words of Pete Seeger, where have all the FOYDers gone?

Glad you're making good progress, Griffin, even if it's repetitive. Have fun with Invention No. 8. Especially M19-20, LH. They're really fun bars. You'll love those! smile

Hope my notes are helpful, aTallGuy. Let us know how it goes.

You didn't take long memorising Moonlight III, Valencia. There's no flies on you!

My week...
Scarlatti Kp. 443 is into the last page. I'll need to go through this piece a second time in larger sections before I can wrap this up for the year. Schubert Ständchen is sounding very good but isn't recordable yet. There are still some areas where the memory needs shoring up or the fingers need more discipline but slips are intermittent and sporadic.

Chopin Prelude no. 2 is still hard to memorise and still tricky to keep the fingers spread far enough. Schlummerlied has shown the most improvement over the week and has had the lion's share of my time.

For the Pine Apple Rag I've put the first half of the B section together. Mozart's Fantasy was revisited. I didn't get as far as the Allegretto so I'll have at it again this week.

The Ballad is down for recording after a week's rest.

Recitals are popping up on a more regular basis and I'm committed for ABF Recitals in February and May, two Joplin pieces in March and now it seems a Tchaikovsky piece in April. I need to start getting ahead of the game as there's bound to be another 'can't resist' recital in the not too distant. I'm not sure yet how the week will pan out or how I'll plan 2014. I may need to stop and have a rethink this week.

I have to say all this extra recording is improving my technique. I feel so much stronger than a year ago when I was preparing my first ABF Recital.

#2172941 - 10/27/13 09:05 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Hi Richard, and all! I haven't completely gone away smile

I just played all the way thru Original Rags, and had all but about 4 measures memorized. Some of it I can play at tempo, but by no means all. But I'd like to play it, somewhat lyrically rather than rowdily, this Friday in a gig. We'll see. I have a lot of piano projects going on, so it's interesting to see how I split my time.

The band played a dance Fri night, and while I used sheet music for a couple of sets, I also did the lead melody on one reel. I've done jigs and strathspeys for Scottish before, and reels for contras, but not a reel for Scottish, so that was good. The dancers said the band was fun to dance to - a band's greatest compliment smile

So I have a gig Fri, and again I'm trying to use more of my less-often used repertoire, so it's taking some paying attention to get it all ready to go. But I do think the reviving is coming more easily, so I'm pleased with that.

On the whole I haven't put in as much time as I did last year, despite the fact that I thought I might put in more, but I think I've held my own given that life, and two good friends' deaths and my car totaled in a wreck, kind of put a damper on things for several months frown Thank goodness for family, friends, and music, no?

It'll be fun to see how Fri's gig plays smile

Cathy

#2172952 - 10/27/13 09:31 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cathy -- I'm sorry to hear about your tough year, and the loss of your friends.

For me, work has gone haywire, so I've had little time to make progress on BWV 846. I've done a little practice though, and I'm fairly pleased with where I am so far. This is definitely improving my legato technique (which has nowhere to go but up), once I realized that I should stop using the pedal for this piece.

Goals for next week: same as last week. frown

XXIX-XXXII

#2172968 - 10/27/13 09:48 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

What are we, chopped liver!? smile

Hope my notes are helpful, aTallGuy. Let us know how it goes.
I haven't quite gotten there yet in terms of being ready to really think about the dynamics, but I will definitely give your notes a closer look when I get there.

I just got "Mabel" tuned for the 1st time, and she sounds wonderful (despite hammers that are in desperate need of shaping and voicing). The touch is much more delicate than on "Rufus", which is making it easier. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than I was a couple weeks ago that I might be able to actually have some dynamics (vs. shooting for a harpsichord feel to it).

XXIX-XXXII

#2173026 - 10/28/13 03:27 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: zrtf90]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Oh...I wonder if I'm the only one old enough to get that?

I have happily busy the past several weeks and have done a lot less posting than before.

I have been "passed" on my Grieg and my Evening in the Meadow both of which I hope to record soon.

I am now working on Clementi Op 36 N2 - I was quite intimidated at first, but now am starting to feel I will be ok with it.
I've been looking at the break down of what is similar and what varies in the piece, being very careful about getting the fingering sorted out and going oh.so.very.slowly.
My teacher was quite pleased at the last lesson as I'd got the notes under control for the homework section and we can move on to working without having to correct errors.

My FOYD is going to be to continue to use the mini focus techniques I've been using since the summer.
In the sonatina I have a few bars where I have to be quite alert to positioning my hands after rests so that they are ready in time - this piece will be much faster than anything I've played once I get it up to speed and it has to be very carefully timed.
It will be a challenge!

#2173047 - 10/28/13 05:57 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: casinitaly]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

You are not the only one old enough to remember Pete Seeger's song, Cheryl. Since I've recently retired I'm probably quite a bit older than you. smile

Cathy, I also want to let you know how sorry I am for the loss of your two friends, and your misfortunes.

Edited by griffin2417 (10/28/13 06:03 AM)

#2173049 - 10/28/13 06:05 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: griffin2417]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

You are not the only one old enough to remember Pete Seeger's song, Cheryl. Since I've recently retired I'm probably quite a bit older than you. smile

Cathy, I also want to let you know how sorry I am for the loss of your two friends, and your misfortunes.

I'm 40, and I got it! thumb

XXIX-XXXII

#2173081 - 10/28/13 08:58 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm glad there is still some activity here.

Cathy, my heart goes out to you.

#2173121 - 10/28/13 10:31 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks so much, all. I appreciate you thoughts very much.

Cathy

#2173178 - 10/28/13 12:36 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: jotur]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I'm still here as well! It seems my report slips a day each week! The good news is I have been madly practicing. Terror will do that. I have my first real live recital coming up. I have done piano parties, but this is the first formal, walk up on stage and play in front of kids, parents, and fellow adult students. shocked Eeeek!

1. Villa-Lobos - I play this at tempo now, and have started recording every other day. My current practice on this is slow error free, then at tempo, then work on any error spots. This is by far the most challenging piece I have done to date. My teacher is trying to teach me complete hand independent in the "salsa" section such that the right hand is rhythmically correct, but the left hand melody is more relaxed rubato. I can do it slowly, but at tempo I lose the relaxed sound. It is getting there though. I hope to get a good recording this week for the quarterly recital.

2. Chopin Mazurka - I have spent a lot of HS time ingraining the slurring and phrasing. Now I have HT and I will start recording this week.

3. Kuhlau - The first and second movements are getting close to final tempo. Practice on these will continue to be focussed on good hand position and even runs. I am holding off starting the Rondo until after the recital. This is another piece that I try to do error free, or slow down. I will do a baseline recording of this as well.

Edited by SwissMS (10/28/13 12:37 PM)

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2173215 - 10/28/13 01:57 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: SwissMS]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
... My teacher is trying to teach me complete hand independent in the "salsa" section such that the right hand is rhythmically correct, but the left hand melody is more relaxed rubato. I can do it slowly, but at tempo I lose the relaxed sound. It is getting there though. I hope to get a good recording this week for the quarterly recital.

This is a challenge for me, too, tho I try it more conventionally with a solid LH and a rubato RH. Pop dance music has a lot of this if it's going to sound really cool. I can't say I've got the "really" part yet laugh

Cathy

#2173336 - 10/28/13 06:23 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Cathy, I missed the post about the sad events in your life - I'm so sorry for your losses, that's heartbreaking.

May you find great comfort in memories of your dear friends, which warm your heart.

#2173677 - 10/29/13 11:11 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Ouch, last week was olive picking time and I didn't have any energy left for the piano! But I'm finally back to the city and to Wally smile

Where was I? Well I finished and recorded Mozart's German Dance, but I'm still working on Haydn's Gipsy Dance. It is coming together but will take more time to speed up.

Today I started Tchaikovsky's Italian Song for the themed recital - it was on my list anyway wink - and it looks very feasible and quite entertaining.

On the other hand I must press on with Maple Leaf Rag, haven't finished writing down the simplified arrangement in Ab yet.

I think these three things will keep me busy until the end of the month, together with the hymns and Beyer's op. 101 that I'm trying to sight-read, so no short-term goals for now. Most of all I have to get used to the acoustic piano. Actually this place is so noisy that it doesn't stand out very much, plus the lady downstairs said she doesn't mind at all. I think she's a bit deaf, her TV is louder than Wally!!

#2174387 - 10/30/13 03:07 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
Dipsy Offline

I need to join this. Having joined MOYD, at least I'm stopping the piano gathering dust, but as day after day goes by with me just tinkering I'm not making much progress and deadlines are getting closer.

By next Monday I intend to:

work out fingering for my Chopin mazurka

practice and embed this fingering - hands separately til embedded

to RESIST the temptation to play both hands together until they are ready

#2174393 - 10/30/13 03:18 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome Dipsy!

XXIX-XXXII

#2176242 - 11/03/13 03:10 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: aTallGuyNH]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Progress report for this week:

1. Villa-Lobos: I made a satisfactory recording for the ABF yesterday, and this piece seems on track for the live recital next Sunday. I am feeling pretty confident about it now. This week the focus will be slow play and "cold" performances.

2. Chopin Mazurka: I did not get this recorded last week, so it is on the list for this week. My teacher introduced some choreography changes that I need to incorporate. Work this week will be focussed on better expression and crisp phrasing to bring out the spirit of a Mazurka.

3. Kuhlau Sonatina: Work on breathing in the running passages in the 1st movement. Begin the Rondo. Goal: 1st two pages HT.

4. Joplin- Chrysanthemun: This goes on the active pile now. This week "A: section HS to tempo.

5. Tchaikovsky - March: Read through to see what I have gotten myself into!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2176390 - 11/03/13 11:41 AM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

SwissMS - looking forward to Chrysanthemum (that's one of those words, like Mississippi, that I'm always afraid is going to run away from me as I type).

I was so bad at refreshing some of my repertoire that I've moved the goal posts smile I love being an adult that can do what I please. So I have on my list now only those great swing pieces I've learned, and some of the older stuff that gets me moving and was revived in the 1940s, and will only play the songbook stuff that I can play be ear, at least for repertoire. I'll visit other stuff as I want something a little lighter. There's still around 30 pieces, so enough to trade out and not do the same set every month. And I can add Original Rags as it comes on line, and up the tempos on some of the others, which is a project I can really get in to, and play a few others of the band old-time/traditional as they come along for fillers. So I feel lighter now.

I really do "focus" better on this kind of stuff, instead of feeling like I need to add things I *should* add. And there's enough of it that I still end up with a nice variety of tunes/songs for my gigs.

So it's my early Christmas present for myself.

Cathy

#2176625 - 11/03/13 07:19 PM Re: FOYD - Focus On Your Domain [Re: Saranoya]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hello, Helen, and welcome to the thread. I hope this works for you.

My main objective for the week was to get the Brahms Ballad ready for recording and that went OK but I developed the sneezles on Thursday, as the Irish weather turned towards winter, and I've since been unable to get through the whole thing in one go so I may have to prolong this another few days. I've spent the rest of my practise time investigating the Joplin, Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Beethoven pieces for my future commitments so I can plan my time better for the coming months.

This week's aim is to get a recording of the Brahms and get back to finishing this year's pieces while sorting out the details of my plans for the next six to twelve months.

Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
45 minutes 42 seconds ago
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350080 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission