2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Guys,

I have just bought Yamaha P105B and would like to start a proper learning--I am very keen doing so smile

Could anybody please suggest some good online courses / videos you have come across? First of all, as I am a beginner, I would really like to make sure my hands are shaped properly and I am not getting any odd habit. I would like to know what sort of exercises I need at the beginning.

Thanks.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
To "make sure", as you put it ... You had best get a teacher.

If that is not possible ....

http://www.Fundamentalkeys.com

or

http://playingpianoblog.com/learn-to-play-the-piano/

would be my suggestions.

Last edited by dmd; 10/28/13 08:19 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Josh Wright (check YouTube) is my personal favorite for topical videos, including one on hand position. He's succinct and there is something to be learned from him regardless of one's level.

I'm sure others with more expertise will reply re: starting from scratch and various books.

Good luck on your journey! This group is a great resource, for both knowledge and encouragement.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hi ZikO and welcome to piano I am sure you have made a life changing choice. As far as online courses you have to stay away from those that promise fast results. I don't use it but I do like Piano Marvel and you can try it for free.

Would always recommend to a complete beginner you take some lessons so you don't fall into bad habits.

As far as exercises the proven method is scales and arpeggios. Doing these daily for a short duration will strengthen fingers and bring evenness to your playing.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Forgot to mention as far as videos goes I think this guy (although he a bit eccentric) has put together a great series of teaching material for the beginner and beyond. His site is here

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
I would actually suggest that you learn a song you like first - something not too hard. Then pay for just 1 or 2 piano lessons so that a professional can give you some real feedback on your technique.

After that you will be in a position to decide if you want to continue taking lessons or just learn on your own.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Steve Warner
I would actually suggest that you learn a song you like first - something not too hard. Then pay for just 1 or 2 piano lessons so that a professional can give you some real feedback on your technique.

After that you will be in a position to decide if you want to continue taking lessons or just learn on your own.

+1 thumb ... what music interests you and what are you looking to get out of it, playing for family and friends, gigging, winding down a tough day, composing?

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Forgot to mention as far as videos goes I think this guy (although he a bit eccentric) has put together a great series of teaching material for the beginner and beyond. His site is here

I really like this guy, his "fingers like bridges over a river with crocos waiting for people to fall" was fantastic. I make sure I check that my fingers form a good bridge since I watched his videos wink

If you like somebody that teaches in 2 minutes what can be taught in 2 minutes, he might not be your kind of teacher, but if you like somebody to talk to you like a mate and repeat things till they stick to you, then I do recommend him. I live in the UK, I'm used to eccentric people! grin

Really nice guy, he's making a good full piano and music theory course for free... and I mean a good one.

Read his story, he really has a lot of merit for what he's doing, he puts a lot of personal time and effort to help beginners everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Many teachers will give an initial interview/free lesson so you can try it out and see. Also, many teachers after that have a trial period of 8-10 lessons. This is a good length of time to decide if lessons are working well for you and gives you a chance to become accustomed to what piano study with that teacher is like.

I you really don't want to get bad habits, then find a good teacher. It's nice to say that, but how would you know if you're doing something that is a "bad habit"? What do you know about playing piano that gives you the expertise to spot a bad habit? Even watching videos, you get no feedback, so you may think you're doing what they say and in reality you could be doing the complete opposite, or something not quite right and thus creating a bad habit. Get it right from the start where you have interaction with a professional, otherwise, you will get bad habits. I have yet meet a student who is self-taught that doesn't have bad habits.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello,

I was slightly busy and could not answer earlier and more over I did not really like to give a short sentence such as "thanks guys".

I find Andrew's Furmanczyk Academy of Music a very good set of tips for start, just not to fall into bad habits. It is ok at the beginning but I decided to pay for some lectures with a tutor, 1 hr / week. I think this will give me some solid fundamentals and some ideas how to improve by exercises.

Really appreciate all help here and thanks for your comments plus good links. I hope I will give that favour to someone else in future who comes here and looks for help like me.

ZikO

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
I sort of think it might be good to do a course on your own such as Faber Accelerated for Adults and go to a teacher once every few months to deal with issues. You can probably make it work quite inexpensively.

Free downloads, arrangements, piano lessons and tips for pianists at http://www.greghowlett.com/freechristianpianomusic.aspx

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission