Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2173618 - 10/29/13 09:31 AM Too many choices!
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
So....how do you pick an interpretation? I mean, I'm trying to play through the WTCs and *trying* to play it all "faithfully", but Bach gives *so* much freedom it's impossible to decide what to do; slow or fast, to start off with....I mean, um, why don't pianists record the same piece thousands of times? I just...and this is *before* taking what I'd assume could be called liberties. For instance, Chopin's Ecossaise in G, you know, Op. 72 No. 2...it's *so* beautiful...but, um, only when played slowly...I can't find a version on the internet where someone plays it slowly and that boggles my mind...but anyway, because I'm awful at sight-reading (isn't that kind of tautologous, just as a side-note? smile ) I can't play at tempo for anything other than simple largo stuff...so I play all these super quick pieces really slowly and just...um...I'm riddled with mind boggleation...so...I have a question; how do you decide upon an interpretation? I see a lot of people commenting about copying some pianist or another, or there not being any direction, or this that or the other...but what do you do when the opposite is the problem? A lot of you must have faced this; where the time of day alone can cut your tempo in half, or you go for a walk and now you're drawing out the morbidity where before you emphasised the sprightly...um...it's just...has it crossed any of your minds how the great pianists rarely properly re-record works? Like...Gould did the Goldberg twice (and a half)...but you can play the aria alone a thousand different ways without even going off-score........??? laugh Just...confused...so confused... laugh That's the problem with well composed music; too many choices!
Xxx

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2173627 - 10/29/13 09:39 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
First of all, I would appreciate if you paragraph your post better.

#2173631 - 10/29/13 09:49 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: FSO
I have a question; how do you decide upon an interpretation? I see a lot of people commenting about copying some pianist or another,
Never copy an interpretation. Find your own. Record yourself and see if you like how you sound. Listening to other pianists can give you a sense of what the music is about and can give you ideas, but you won't ever play the music well until you play it from your own heart. If you listen to different recordings by the same pianist, you will hear different interpretations each time. Your interpretation will indeed change from moment to moment and that's perfectly okay.

Deborah

#2173655 - 10/29/13 10:23 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
So....how do you pick an interpretation? I mean, I'm trying to play through the WTCs and *trying* to play it all "faithfully", but Bach gives *so* much freedom...

FSO, why do you want to play it all faithfully?

I'm not saying you shouldn't. But I'm saying that a careful examination of your motivations for playing in the first place might be helpful here. Are you playing it just because you love the music, or are you playing it to express something inside of you? If the latter, which I suspect to some degree, perhaps the idea of playing "faithfully" becomes a tool for fulfilling that, instead of dogma, and this feeling might change your relationship with the printed score, make it more alive, more shapable. I do think that's the kind of relationship that the greats, even the faithful ones, had.

-J

#2173670 - 10/29/13 10:51 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: Alan Lai]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Originally Posted By: Alan Lai

What about the second of all? wink

M.

#2173673 - 10/29/13 11:00 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Googdog: Well *of course* never copy an interpretation smile I was simply referencing a few comments I've read, here amongst other places, regarding some professional (professional! shocked ) pianists essentially copying measures of some other pianist's recording, repeated until there's a new interpretation that's almost literally just a RubinHoroGoulCilbHoroRubinsteinowitz mash-up. Um...I'm quite in agreement with everything you say....just...I agree that different recordings show slight variation, but that's part of my confusion; why is it so slight? I mean...one recording will be 264 seconds, the other 235...you could argue that's a massive difference, along with all the dynamic changes, but to me it's more a tweaking of the interpretation. I mean, um, it's not across the board, of course, some pianists revisit works and there's genuinely great amounts of difference in the direction and sculpting....I don't expect anyone to have all the answers, of course laugh But, really, any inklings about why, in general, pianists approach the same material in similar ways throughout their lives...like, it further boggles my mind (sorry, that word's just lurching today laugh ) how material can become stale for performers...I just... smile Beet31425...by playing "faithfully" I feel, I don't know, maybe I'll know what I'm doing? Of course...*by* faithfully, I do mean not throwing in octaves and thirds and actually managing to get to the end of the piece without going off on some side-rant for a minute and a half before returning, or never coming back at all. I *love* Bach...*and* His music wink But you're quite right; playing music is, for me, invariably a form of expression and when we pick a composer, or a piece, we limit our ability to express *to* that piece, to that composer...but it acts as a conduit and allows us form we might not have otherwise had; by following the lit path, yes, we are led...but we do not stumble as often and it is still our own feet that determine whether we prance or shuffle, skip or crawl, whether a carefree jaunt or painful exodus...and Bach's path seems, to me, fields wide; so wide it is as though there is no path at all...but we are just allowed to follow our feet; I just wondered why the greats, and lessers, seemed to stick to their own makeshift paths through these fields frown All composers are free (in my opinion! My humble, humble opinion, please don't shoot! laugh ) to do with as you will, but some are just so giving with liberties...they invite such altercation...don't get me wrong, by the time I come to be able to actually play these pieces I'll be so far from faithful...sordid and adulterous would be more fitting terms and, whilst I don't suspect Bach will mind, I hope, it just struck me as bizarre that professional pianists rarely afford themselves this fancy (as so often it creates wonder)...um... smile I just....I mean, I *love* Gould...*and* his music laugh and I think he's a genius and I don't think he recorded a bad note (except his Mozart, but I'm not blaming *him* wink ) but videos such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWs_wAq9SAE highlight my point far better than any doldrum of words I could use, I'm sure laugh Anyway....done gum-flapping...I hope wink
Xxxx

#2173678 - 10/29/13 11:14 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: Alan Lai]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

Oh dear...

#2173691 - 10/29/13 11:31 AM Re: Too many choices! [Re: Alan Lai]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary

+1. FSO has mentioned before he can't format his posts. But I can only imagine rather extreme contrived scenarios where that would be the case. (He's in prison and the officers won't let them upgrade from IE6.) I'm actually quite sympathetic toward small spelling and grammatical mistakes considering the nature of the internet but his posts are illegible to the point of communication failure. I can only take from the evidence of his effort to communicate other's feedback is not particularly important (else he'd make a bigger effort to communicate clearly). FSO has set the bar for feedback, not others.

FSO: here's the Google link to Chrome. Maybe that will help.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

#2173708 - 10/29/13 12:01 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
frenchflip Offline

Loc: New York, NY
+1

I'm not usually one to chastise on this issue--I sincerely welcome all contributions here at PW and have learned a lot (!)--but this is egregious. Paragraphs (or lack thereof), punctuation, grammar, extraneous words ("um"), stars, emoticons, and general disarray.

My sincerest apologies in advance for being quite harsh on the subject; but there is a common courtesy of writing such that others (who speak the same language, or at least ostensibly) can read and interpret what you are trying to convey.

#2173715 - 10/29/13 12:17 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

I care about the feedback of others. I care greatly but I do not *expect* it; for those that cannot read my posts I accept their position and from them I will equally accept silence and mild beration. I too sympathise with and entirely tolerate, with respect to English, of course, the grammatically and linguistically inept, um, even when their posts' technical meaning is contrary to the intended meaning....I'm sure that if I wrote, well, typed entirely in lower case, spelt words incorrectly and spared my metre of any *genuine* punctuation, of any sort, or relevance, or alternately scattered it like the heathen offspring of confetti and breadcrumbs that litter the pond aside a deprived, destitute church of empty conviction that I'd receive *less* flak. Still, um, I accept it. The only question, truly, is whether others can accept the truth of my impotency. I don't understand why anyone would lie but, still, that's just me. "Especially to sustain such a pointless lie, well, she must have the most pathetic priorities imaginable" could be the only reasonable thought to have. I...um...see, "I can only take from the evidence of his effort to communicate other's feedback is not particularly important (else he'd make a bigger effort to communicate clearly)" is grammatically not the neatest fragment and I don't mean to pick on you smile But people get what you mean *despite* the fact that what you say is quite unclear (technically you state that *I* communicate the feedback *of* others and that my effort to do so is not important....that you take from the evidence of this *something* and in addition {parentheses have specific functions, after all} [or] else I'd make the effort to communicate more clearly....um...that is to say, if my effort *was* important, I'd make it; the fact that the effort isn't important is why I don't make it. Um...you, in fact, state that it's not important for me to make the effort to be clear *and yet* this is the opposite of what you mean, which is what people will come to understand laugh ) because it's the impression that matters; people don't like/are unfamiliar with the impression which is what causes the failure...I accept this...um...I don't expect anyone who finds my posts illegible to comment on them spare negatively and I accept that. Really, it is odd why I'd do that to myself willingly though. Once again, um, sorry, I didn't mean to pick on you laugh As a nod to the petpeeve thread....frenchflip...egregious can mean very bad or very good; could you be more clear? wink Don't fret; your apology is not only unnecessary but greatly appreciated also. I just...to shorten and compress, to array; I'm clearly educated, clearly not illiterate, so why would I convey myself as a bumbling idiot?
Xxx
Xxx

#2173722 - 10/29/13 12:41 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
FSO: you raise a number of interesting issues. To answer one or two, an interpretation tends to develop on its own over the time of practice, especially once the notes are under the fingers. There is a natural gravitation towards a particular tempo, a particular mood, extreme dynamics or a muted tonal palette etc. However, when playing for oneself, for pure pleasure, rather than "performing", one's mood can suddenly provoke a much slower or faster tempo, a change in emotional temperature etc. This can lead to a new interpretation - the changes stick - or the "old" way of feeling the piece reasserts itself. Indeed, we have the luxury, not so easily available to professionals, to play around with the music. See how it sounds like this, or like that ...... All this, for me, within the score as written and (largely) the dynamics. Dynamics are very flexible: e.g. the difference between a singing forte and a percussive forte.

I do believe that, given the time, one's view of a work can develop. For instance, I was so entranced by the sheer beauty of the last of Schubert's Moments Musicaux that I played it at what others must have experienced as a funereal pace. Now I play it at around the "normal" speed.

Re Bach, the options open to us here are a real gift. I am a relative purist, but Bach can be realised in so many ways. Have fun experimenting. Bach's music is so wonderful it is almost impossible to spoil it and it will more than survive quite extreme approaches.

I do share your reaction at playing beautiful music slowly when first encountering it. Sometimes, even though one's playing deepens and becomes more satisfying, the initial, overpowering feelings evoked are lost forever. I remember saying to someone I wished I could hear the opening of the Eroica for the first time again. He, not being musical, hadn't got a clue of what I was talking about.

BTW I too find your posts difficult to read, but I suspect the same can be levelled at some of mine, for different reasons. We all have to communicate in ways open to us and can be misunderstood etc. If a poster is sincere, and I believe you are, why shouldn't others have some patience/expend some effort in following the meaning. After all, I believe most people here expect that of other in response to their own posts. Not many people possess the gift of the clear, simple written word.

#2173730 - 10/29/13 01:00 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I'm clearly educated, clearly not illiterate, so why would I convey myself as a bumbling idiot?
Xxx
Xxx

If you're the same FSO who wrote this very beautiful story Luna's Descent, you're an enormously gifted writer who knows how to turn a fine paragraph!

Here are a couple of paragraphs:
Quote:
"You've really outdone yourself tonight. This is…perfect. I don't know how you craft such astonishing things, I know I never could. Everypony should witness this," Luna's eyes threaten to spill more tears, but just before she decided to fly away Celestia's words reach her ears, "why don't you keep the moon up a while longer than normal?"

Luna stops in mid-air effortlessly and immediately, Celestia shoots past briefly before slowing and arcing round. Luna doesn't understand, they'd never even talked about doing anything this radical before. It went against everything their parents had told them when it transpired that they would be the ponies responsible for the solunic cycle, the cycle of sun to moon to sun again.

#2173732 - 10/29/13 01:01 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: wower]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wower

+1. FSO has mentioned before he can't format his posts. But I can only imagine rather extreme contrived scenarios where that would be the case. (He's in prison and the officers won't let them upgrade from IE6.) I'm actually quite sympathetic toward small spelling and grammatical mistakes considering the nature of the internet but his posts are illegible to the point of communication failure. I can only take from the evidence of his effort to communicate other's feedback is not particularly important (else he'd make a bigger effort to communicate clearly). FSO has set the bar for feedback, not others.

FSO: here's the Google link to Chrome. Maybe that will help.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Oh dear.

It makes me laugh how some people think personal insults are more acceptable than one's personal style of writing. You won't waste your time reading a post and debating a subject but will waste time telling us all how offended you are about FSO's way of communication. Well, if that's how it works then your posts offend me so please stop posting.

#2173739 - 10/29/13 01:17 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
The root question seems to be how to choose an interpretation for Bach when played on the piano. Most of your writing isn't substantial enough to merit a response, but I'll respond generally in hopes that I can help give you some ideas. Rather than simply giving you a flower, I will give you a seed so that you can grow your own, and the way you tend it will determine what you produce in the end.

Listen to some of his organ works. Hear the Well-Tempered Klavier or partitas on the harpsichord. Listen to the lute-harpsichord, a beautiful instrument Bach owned two of. The common theme that you'll notice is that every note is fully sounded due to the nature of the instrument, but in spite of the instrument itself being rather monotonous, the performer is able to take advantage of the sonic richness by careful touch, phrasing, finger legato, etc. They can also achieve a beautiful, rounded sound in delicate and quickly played ornaments, arpeggios and runs which results in a brilliant crystalline effect. Ask yourself, what do I have to do to make the piano do that?

One thing to consider is that on the piano, Bach is going to be somewhat romanticized just by dint of being played on an instrument that was perfected during that period, substantially driven by Liszt's influence. So Bach on the piano is essentially a transcription, not simply a reproduction. Busoni knew this, and his edition of the WTC emphasizes the necessity to make thorough, reasoned decisions about touch, phrasing, voicing, and dynamics. This also makes his edition a good starting point. Busoni's scholarship and judgment are sometimes questionable, I admit, but his perspective on the transformative aspect of playing Bach is as important to us as pianists as the faithful study of Bach's influences and contemporary practices.

Speaking of Bach's influences, realize that he wasn't in some kind of vacuum in the countryside of Germany. He studied and dutifully copied, in his own hand, the music of Frescobaldi, Louis Couperin, Froberger, Pachelbel, Buxtehude, Handel, and many others. Take some time to familiarize yourself with his contemporaries and predecessors to understand the respect and reverence he held for other great musicians. But one of the most important names, which you're unlikely to be familiar with, is Reinhard Keiser. Bach traveled to Hamburg specifically because of him, and Keiser's operas and cantatas were hugely influential to Bach.

The pursuit of the essence of Bach is a long one. The answers aren't easy and what I'm writing is by no means complete. Like I said, it's a seed. I can't possibly simplify the subject in the way you're asking for. All I can do is give you ideas to be led through the complexity. Don't expect to have any quick answers to deal with a man who so embodied all that is great in music.

#2173743 - 10/29/13 01:20 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: sandalholme]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: sandalholme
BTW I too find your posts difficult to read, but I suspect the same can be levelled at some of mine, for different reasons. We all have to communicate in ways open to us and can be misunderstood etc. If a poster is sincere, and I believe you are, why shouldn't others have some patience/expend some effort in following the meaning. Not many people possess the gift of the clear, simple written word.

Your post isn't hard to understand at all. If only sincerity was enough though. Unfortunately, this is real life and others are more proactive in wanting feedback. Why doesn't FSO compromise and meet half way? Why doesn't he "show patience/expend some effort" fixing his style so people can follow his meaning? Like it is only the reader's responsibility to communicate? And the last point about communicating clearly with simply prose being a gift is at best wrong and at worse an excuse. It is a skill and it came be learned as much as it can be taught if one wants to communicate widely. To say otherwise - that it is a gift granted from on high - undermines the work many have done to learn the craft. And therein lies why some posters feel the OP really doesn't want feedback that badly.

Edited by wower (10/29/13 01:38 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2173750 - 10/29/13 01:36 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: TheHappyMoron]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: TheHappyMoron
It makes me laugh how some people think personal insults are more acceptable than one's personal style of writing. You won't waste your time reading a post and debating a subject but will waste time telling us all how offended you are about FSO's way of communication. Well, if that's how it works then your posts offend me so please stop posting.

It's worth stressing I'm not offended at their style in the slightest. It's not even on my radar at the end of day. I also fail to see how I personally insulted them. It seems fair to FSO if he'd like more feedback from others to take some responsibility to that end. If that is some kind of end of the world insult to one's entire family history on planet Earth and I have completely ruined 2013, I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Signed,

Puzzled

Edited by wower (10/29/13 02:45 PM)
Edit Reason: see below

#2173752 - 10/29/13 01:42 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
wower: FSO is a female, not a male, as far as I know! wink

#2173759 - 10/29/13 01:58 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I've had this problem quite often but it's one of those problems that's not really a problem. Endless possibilities! When you are enjoying the music so much you just don't feel like you're making progress. You have basically lost yourself in it. Just enjoy it and keep playing it the way that you like and forget about being "faithful." But I would carefully read Jeffrey's post because I think there is so much wonderful stuff in there to think about.

The posting style is sometimes a struggle but FSO's posts are almost always worth reading. I initially balked at the wall of text but it grows on you LOL. What's in that wall is often more entertaining than most properly constructed posts.

#2173775 - 10/29/13 02:32 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Does anyone remember how irritating
Gyro's posts use to
be? We either chose to read them
or discarded them. I
only had the patience to
read FSO's first post. Because it required
far too much time and concentration to
wade through his/her style, I gave up on the
rest of the posts. I think it lacks courtesy to make
one's writing so inaccessible but if FSO
insists on this style, then I can't be
bothered to wade through it. His/her choice
and my choice.

Deborah

#2173777 - 10/29/13 02:36 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazzyprof...*cough*...that *may* be one of mine...thanks for the compliment but...I'm a bit stunned that's made its way *here*.... laugh wower/Puzzled: I took no insult, just for the record, though I *do* recognise (and hope you would too) that assaults on one's conviction and genuine...inity could be construed as such. jeffreyjones: "Most of your writing isn't substantial enough to merit a response" made me laugh quite a bit, so thanks for that laugh Um...I used to play the organ (and played the harpsichord in the university orchestra) and am familiar with most of those names (though Frescobaldi is a new one). I hadn't considered Busoni's edition so thank you for that *as well*, I'll be sure to investigate it in time. Of course, Bach will and not only will but *should* take a lifetime or two more than, say, Einaudi to get to grips with. You've been a great resource, thank you. Um...sandalholme: it's good to know that others fall into similar wells of sentimentality, *especially* that those less inclined to throw manuscript through the blender do so too. It's great that you've given me insight regarding normalisation; that it's something I should expect after a while...though you've made me feel sorry for professional pianists... frown Pathbreaker...it's always nice to know my posts don't make *everyone* feel like Dido at the end of a Purcellian opera wink
Xxx

#2173783 - 10/29/13 02:46 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: Nikolas]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
wower: FSO is a female, not a male, as far as I know! wink

easily updated. thanks.

#2173785 - 10/29/13 02:50 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

jazzyprof...*cough*...that *may* be one of mine...thanks for the compliment but...I'm a bit stunned that's made its way *here*....

As you've admitted you wrote that story, did you get someone else to edit it, or did you edit it yourself, to make it into paragraphed, easily comprehensible prose? (Assuming that you originally wrote it in the same manner as your writings here).

If you did edit it yourself, why not do the same for your posts here, so that more people will read them? *cough* wink

I must admit that your writing style in this forum is rather off-putting (and that's not because English isn't my first language), and I've never managed to read any of your posts here all the way to the end, except for the rare ones which have paragraphs.

#2173795 - 10/29/13 03:13 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: Pathbreaker]
wower Offline

Originally Posted By: Pathbreaker
The posting style is sometimes a struggle but FSO's posts are almost always worth reading. I initially balked at the wall of text but it grows on you LOL. What's in that wall is often more entertaining than most properly constructed posts.

That's just the crux of it tho. If one has something of substance to say. If something is worth saying. Then I'm of the opinion it's worth saying well. I'm totally fine if other's don't share that view but I would ask writers to accept the consequences of such decisions. I've always been under the impression the posting style was technical in nature and not a personal choice. Like maybe they are using their parent's computer and they won't let an updated browser on the old computer. That's really got to suck but there are still workarounds. Let's work through these to get better at communicating. Going back to my comment lucid writing is a skill and not divinely granted; I think it's important to encourage FSO to practice good writing technique, then this insight others speak of might bring even wider opportunities to FSO.

#2173804 - 10/29/13 03:25 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Writing a post and writing a story are two entirely separate functions and so I'm forced to read and re-read what I write; even so, my best friend proof-reads everything I write with intent to publish and finds more ums and inconsequential tangents than I'd care to admit. I mean...I had a scribe when taking exams in school...this isn't just a typing problem frown laugh Um...I'm okay with what I write not being read; I've never started a thread saying "please answer me, wah, why are you all so meeeeean?!?!". wower asks that "writers to accept the consequences of such decisions" and I do. I entirely do; I've said so very many times. Um...I *will* say, actually, that when I read my posts I recognise that I say *precisely* what I mean to, sparing typographical stammering. Emphasis is on the words that *should* be emphasised...I get the aparagraphical hatred, I get the "um" dysphoria, I get that word makeuppery *might* be confusing to non-English speakers, but the asterisks are *always* in the right place laugh I have *that* at least to cling onto. Um...for the record, I'm not using a parent's computer; I've not lived in the same county as them for a fair few years now and the commute is simply not worth the hassle. I'm not *that* young laugh
Xxx

#2173812 - 10/29/13 03:43 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I enjoy your posts FSO.

What annoys me is how a fair few members of this forum act like they are doing others the great honour of imparting their scholarly wisdom, which, although comical, detracts from any chance of discussion. At least FSO isn't a self-conceited know-it-all like some others here.

#2173817 - 10/29/13 03:51 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'm also enjoying the presence of FSO and her posts... I don't often quote her, since it's difficult to do so, and I will admit that I do have a bit of a difficulty following such long paragrphless texts... In fact I just edited such a text into columns, for better reading...

Still, at some point we have to admit that this is how she posts.

Still, at some point we have to admit that some members may have never come across such an issue in PW forums.

Still, at some point we have to admit that we are the ones keeping this discussion alive by posting on and on for or against this issue.

Still, at some point we have to admit that my post is doing all the above! grin

So...

What to follow...

In conjunction with the recording thread: Everything! Why be perfect? Especially for works so old that it makes little sense to be perfect, unless you're trying to be a historically correct performer (which for me is dead boring... really... I prefer to watch a debate between Collins and a tomato! (honestly I just came up with the name Collins, after watching NCIS! I hope that I won't embarrass myself and this will be an important, nice fellow.)).

Really though... In such instances (like Bach, with all the myths and truths surrounding him) you can either be an ALL Bach person, or nothing. I'm nothing. smile

#2173822 - 10/29/13 03:58 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: TheHappyMoron]
wower Offline

What annoys me is how a fair few members of this forum act like they are doing others the great honour of imparting their scholarly wisdom, which, although comical, detracts from any chance of discussion. At least FSO isn't a self-conceited know-it-all like some others here.

So dramatic! A kettle calling the pot black.

#2173830 - 10/29/13 04:10 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: wower]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wower

So dramatic! A kettle calling the pot black.

How so, friend?

#2173837 - 10/29/13 04:26 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
FSO,

Willard Palmer, for an Alfred edition of Bach's 2 pt. and 3 pt. inventions did a survey of tempos used in editions, commentaries, and recordings. The range between fastest and slowest is often 100% and especially in the 3 pt. greater than 100%.

I have found this to a be fascinating study. These simple little pieces completely change their character depending on the tempo. Details emerge and then disappear as you speed up. Phrasing structures change also.

I think much of Bach's music lends itself to this type of treatment. His music makes sense at almost any tempo. Tradition may hold some of his pieces as "fast" or "slow" more than the demands of musical coherence.

However with other composers I think that the range of "acceptable" tempos is much smaller.

I appreciate your bringing up this subject which I have found fascinating for decades. And as far as your literary critics go I too can have trouble following you mid-paragraph, the best solution I have found is cntl - mouse scroll to increase the font size... something I am having to do much more often these days. I enjoy your stream of conscience thoughts, which are a nice contrast to my own overly analytical thought process. Keep it up.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2173839 - 10/29/13 04:27 PM Re: Too many choices! [Re: FSO]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Um...for the record, I'm not using a parent's computer; I've not lived in the same country as them for a fair few years now and the commute is simply not worth the hassle. I'm not *that* young laugh
Xxx

Well, at least we do have a few things in common......*almost* grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (angga888, Anticlock, 25 invisible), 1180 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156826 Topics
2304336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission