Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2173468 - 10/28/13 10:52 PM Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?!
lolablitz Offline

Loc: midwest
Now this might sound like a silly revelation, so please bear with me smile I've been plodding through my old repertoire and trying to add some lighter pieces in to get these hands back in shape after a 10 year hiatus. All the while essentially sticking in the classical vein I was taught in.

Then today I had this breakthrough. I had Pandora on for my daughter's nap and when I went in to wake her, Dustin O'Halloran's Opus 28 was playing. Woah! I looked up a sample of the sheet music and propped my laptop up on the piano and played. It was so beautiful and I could focus on the tone and emotion of the piece rather than trying to work out trills wink WOW! What have I been missing?! Can you all recommend some other composers that are producing really beautiful stuff? Not too new-agey.

Who knew adult piano playing would be so much fun?!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2173494 - 10/29/13 12:37 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
This new guy Bach is making a bit of name for himself

#2173500 - 10/29/13 01:10 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: earlofmar]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Try Einaudi. You won't look back smile

#2173538 - 10/29/13 04:56 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
sydnal Offline

You are lucky for having this revelation in Adult Beginner's Forum rather than Pianist's Corner XD

#2173563 - 10/29/13 06:54 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
lolablitz, I have read your post, here:

subject: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?!

Now this might sound like a silly revelation, so please bear with me smile I've been plodding through my old repertoire and trying to add some lighter pieces in to get these hands back in shape after a 10 year hiatus. All the while essentially sticking in the classical vein I was taught in.

Then today I had this breakthrough. I had Pandora on for my daughter's nap and when I went in to wake her, Dustin O'Halloran's Opus 28 was playing. Woah! I looked up a sample of the sheet music and propped my laptop up on the piano and played. It was so beautiful and I could focus on the tone and emotion of the piece rather than trying to work out trills wink WOW! What have I been missing?! Can you all recommend some other composers that are producing really beautiful stuff? Not too new-agey.

Who knew adult piano playing would be so much fun?!

I am a beginner piano player of 2 years at the age of 64 without a teacher because I can't afford one.

I want to learn to play Prokofieff and the best and most difficult Chopin and other composers because I love the challenge in life no matter how tough.

You can buy piano learning books that costs big money, are very thin, have cds, pretty, pretty coloured pictures fit for an art gallery. Let me not - say more.

I am learning from the John Thompson method books of 5 Volumes and I am in book 2. The books are dirt, dirt cheap at a whopping 89 pages of awesome music, no coloured pictures - and I don't miss them because it is the colour of the sound of the music that matters and not the colour of the notes. Each book costs 5 to 7 dollars in Canada and mere pennies in the United States of America. The books were published way, way, way, way back in 1905. It says on the the cover of every volume "Something new in every lesson" Nothing could be more honest than God.

The books are so awesome - if you don't believe me go to any music store and have a deep look at every page of any volume - it brings tears of my eyes just thinking of it. It is a thrill just to sit down at the piano and to know how fun it will be - but oh, no, there will something new that will kill you with pain of delight because it teaches you something you never imagined could be done with your fingers and hands to make the piano sound so awesome.

Now about the modern stuff printed with coloured paper costing 30 to 40 dollars of only 25 pages of
music-learning with, yes, CDs and why? - I don't know why - because if you can count through the measures and know the names of the notes and the values of the notes and how long to play the notes for - then the music sounds perfect except for your mistakes and so no reason for a CD in my mind - And not one - I repeat not one page of the music-learning book talks about "Thumb UNDER the Second Finger" - not mentioned - anywhere and yet in John Thompson books, not a pages goes by where there is not a neat technique that is set out to be learned and enjoyed for a lifetime.

I live in a shack with holes in the walls, never painted since I bought the shacks 35 years ago for 30,000 dollars - cheapest shack in the city at the time that I could find. It has timbers of wood 6 X 6s built just after the second world war. Today houses cost over a million and are made of cancer causing agents furnature and fixtures, etc. Cars are made of plastic costing 50,000 dollars are mostly made of plastic. Everything I drove cost 3,000 to 8,000 and was made of steel.

So, yes, life is different and that isn't bad, but don't every think (politely spoken) that is necessarily better! - but yes, it is different and I accept that for everything that it is.

To me life is the journey - and for the average person if you are 21 and you live to 65, you have roughly 2,000 weekends left in your life - do the math, please, and it is not to depress you that I tell you this, but that you enjoy your life of a smooth journey of 88 piano keys playing the best of music - and - no life - is good - without a struggle.

cheers,

3B29TS

#2173576 - 10/29/13 07:31 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: earlofmar]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

laugh

#2173648 - 10/29/13 10:12 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Never mind him there's a certain exciting dark haired fellow from Germany, whose piano sonatas are monumental.... wink

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2173654 - 10/29/13 10:22 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Lolablitz,

Is this the one you're talking about?

If you like this, I second Jessiebear's suggestion of Ludovico Einaudi, and also a few others. Here are the ones that I can think off the top of my head:

Ludovico Einaudi:
Le Onde, Nefeli, I Giorni, Oltremare

Michael Nyman:
The Heart Asks Pleasure First, Big My Secret

I wonder if your experience of finding O'Halloran's piece easier to play might have something to do with it's newness to you. Perhaps coming at it without the expectations that accompany music previously learned or something? Maybe not, but it's interesting to think about.

Let us know if you add any of these composers to your repertoire and which ones. smile

#2173697 - 10/29/13 11:37 AM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: earlofmar]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

I've been on a Bach binge recently. Played through both books of the WTC, and the Art of Fugue, and listened to all the Brandenburgs, and am working my way through the Orchestral Suites. I also bought some scores. grin

Polyphonist

#2173758 - 10/29/13 01:53 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
Peter C D Offline

Loc: Powell River B.C Canada
The piano music of Philip Glass is fairly straight forward.

#2173802 - 10/29/13 03:24 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: earlofmar]
lolablitz Offline

Funny funny. I've played plenty of Bach. I just didn't realize there was much I'd like beyond the Classical and Jazz I learned over 17 years of lessons. I hate ragtime and I never liked anything reminiscent of Yanni. Basically, I'm not used to picking my own pieces and am having so much FUN!

#2173803 - 10/29/13 03:24 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: Jessiebear]
lolablitz Offline

Will do! Thanks

#2173805 - 10/29/13 03:25 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: sydnal]
lolablitz Offline

Why Sydnal? Is it uncool there to play things that aren't painfully complicated? :)-

#2173806 - 10/29/13 03:26 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
lolablitz Offline

Yes Edwardian. Totally. Will get there someday.

#2173921 - 10/29/13 06:19 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It would help preserve the sanity of some of the members here if you would 1) make one post instead of four separate one-liners, and 2) QUOTE the person you are replying to.

Polyphonist

#2174025 - 10/29/13 09:37 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: Polyphonist]
lolablitz Offline

POLYPHONIST: are you feeling cranky because I didn't respond to your post?

I responded to several other posters in kind using the nifty quick response box as evidenced in their re: tag in the title of each post.

Edited by lolablitz (10/29/13 09:40 PM)

#2174031 - 10/29/13 10:00 PM Re: Breakthrough - there's good music to play beyond Chopin?! [Re: lolablitz]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lolablitz
POLYPHONIST: are you feeling cranky because I didn't respond to your post?

Indeed not. My post wasn't even addressed to you.

Originally Posted By: lolablitz
I responded to several other posters in kind using the nifty quick response box...

...yet it is still quite unpleasant to have to read the tiny print up there, and then scroll all the way back in the thread and try to figure out which of that person's posts you are referring to, and then scroll back down to read yours again, etc, etc. It seems much simpler just to quote the section of the relevant post you are responding to, which eliminates all of that trouble for would-be readers.

Polyphonist

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, aDino, 35 invisible), 1587 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156333 Topics
2296008 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
8 minutes 19 seconds ago
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
Today at 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission