Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2173782 - 10/29/13 02:43 PM New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP!
Pa82mdd Offline

This is my first post, so excuse me for any mistakes...

I am in the market for a New Yamaha U3 in Ebony for my daughter who has been learning for few years. We decided on this model after looking at several used/new Kawai & Yamaha pianos. We don't have the room for a grand piano and I don't want to purchase a used piano.

I spoke to two dealers and was quoted varied range of prices as their best prices (delivered with 9% taxes, bench & 2 tunings)

1. $9000 and then dropped to $7700
2. $8000, but I didn't challenge the price yet.

I have been searching the forums and the best quoted price I could find is $7000 which was posted in this forum in 2012.

Please help me with the daunting task of identifying a good price for a U3.

Edited by Pa82mdd (10/29/13 04:01 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2173867 - 10/29/13 05:03 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
musicNow Offline

Loc: California
Looks like you've done a good job already.

The $7,700 price is good. The best quote I was able to get recently was $8,150, inclusive of tax & delivery.

About a year ago there appears to have been a group buy in the SF Bay area for U1s and some U3s. I believe the U3 price was around $7K. And, I've been told that Yamaha had a price increase since then. I think you need to find 15+ people to make the group buy work for Yamaha dealers...

Would be interested to hear what you end up doing.

- Rick

#2173890 - 10/29/13 05:41 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
Pa82mdd Offline

Here is the post from 2012 where the price of $7000 is posted.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...20of%20new.html

#2173912 - 10/29/13 06:07 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
Dara Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Originally Posted By: Pa82mdd
This is my first post, so excuse me for any mistakes...
Here is the post from 2012 where the price of $7000 is posted.

You are 10 years off in the thread you gave link to. That thread was from 2002.
Norbert, that was a humorous posting you made in that thread.

#2173925 - 10/29/13 06:31 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Yamahas? Oh, they are free.

I accept that customers may not understand pricing, but it really is a shame when they can't accept a good deal when they are given one. And the whole idea of pre-sale prep is clearly out the window when you're buying a box. Good luck to you in your search.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2173939 - 10/29/13 07:01 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: PianoWorksATL]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
Sam,

The OP may not understand what it means to buy a piano out of a box. Being their first piano, they may just ass u me that everything will be perfect just because the name says: Yamaha and certainly price is the ONLY consideration.

Oh, well. There may be a tech out there who gets an extra days work out of it.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2173945 - 10/29/13 07:16 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
Pa82mdd Offline

Ooops I didn't realize that the post for $7000 was from 11 years back frown

I would be happy to accept a good deal, but sadly it's appears impossible to know if it's a good deal.

Thanks for the inputs and contributions. I would be interested to hear from someone who purchased a U3 recently, their experience and for how much. PM me if that works better.

#2173957 - 10/29/13 07:32 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: anrpiano]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: anrpiano

The OP may not understand what it means to buy a piano out of a box. Being their first piano, they may just ass u me that everything will be perfect just because the name says: Yamaha and certainly price is the ONLY consideration.

1000% correct. I wouldn't know the difference between a piano and a box. My assumption is that it's better to purchase a new Yamaha U3 vs trying my luck on craigslist or a gray market piano.

Please educate me as it appears that I am taking the incorrect road. I found the below post and am reading it now....

http://www.chicagopianos.com/buyingtips.htm

#2173971 - 10/29/13 07:57 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Pa82mdd - Welcome to Piano World!

There is a guide which can help you with pricing on new pianos. It is the "A&D Piano Buyer" by Larry Fine. It is sort of the 'bible' around here and it includes all of the new list prices (MSRP), the most you could expect to pay (MSP), and a discount range to figure the usual "street price."

Here is a link to the free online version:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/

From the "Piano Buyer:"

Yamaha-U3, Ebony
MSRP - $12,999
SMP - $12,598

Walnut or Mahogany raise the price considerably. NOTE: these prices do not include any taxes, delivery or tunings.

You are being offered very good prices.

Have fun shopping.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2174007 - 10/29/13 08:54 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A U3 is a fine piano but the hyper-competitive market does not come without cost or ensure best value in a piano. The first cost is pre-sale service, but the bigger cost is your education. Even non-experts have ears and have listened to music before to develop preferences. That, along with a little education, may quickly help you discern between the greater variety of choices. The U3 may remain your final choice, but for many, it remains their "safe" choice rather than their "favorite" choice even among comparably priced instruments.

I certainly recommend staying away from craigslist. Gray market is not so clear-cut as it contains both some of the better and worst of the used market, though a good dealer can educate you here, too.

New is a good idea. I'm really enjoying a number of our competitive pianos. But if you can have a relationship with a dealer, used can be great, too. Last Friday, we delivered 6 used uprights to a university. The pianos chosen were a mix including a Yamaha U1 & U3, a Kawai K55, a Charles Walter 1520, a Mason & Hamlin 50, and a Hailun HU-1P.

The Piano Buyer (see nearby link) will be helpful to you, but not nearly as helpful as visiting and comparing a few different pianos first hand. If you knew what I know, you'd look at the U3 differently. I appreciate and respect that piano, but I would not simply default to it the way many customers, even many of our customers, do.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#2174009 - 10/29/13 08:56 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
ECP Offline

So a new U3 has a MSRP of $13000. which means the dealer cost is roughly $6500. Just guessing as I am not privy to Yamaha wholesale pricing. Then add delivery and prep of about $350. Total $6850. You can get a new U3 for $7700. minus 9% tax ($693), delivery ($150) and tuning ($100). Profit $93. This dealer is ruthless, get him/her to knock off a few more bucks.
617-354-4061

#2174017 - 10/29/13 09:03 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
anrpiano Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: Pa82mdd
Originally Posted By: anrpiano

1000% correct. I wouldn't know the difference between a piano and a box. My assumption is that it's better to purchase a new Yamaha U3 vs trying my luck on craigslist or a gray market piano.

Please educate me as it appears that I am taking the incorrect road. I found the below post and am reading it now....

http://www.chicagopianos.com/buyingtips.htm

Sam is absolutely correct, go play the thing before you decide. If you play even just 3 U3's you will surprised at the difference which is present. Even more important than the best price is the amount of preparation which has been done after the piano comes out of its crate. You can trust that the lowest priced seller has done little to none. How could he? He is probably selling for only a few bucks over cost and proper prep work can cost a bit.

Go visit a dealer of Yamahas and another dealer of Kawai and then find several others. Get yourself educated before you make what is likely a once in a lifetime purchase. You will glad you did... and read Larry Fine's book.
Downers Grove, IL 60515

#2174098 - 10/30/13 12:56 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
musicNow Offline

Loc: California
You might consider looking at some of the used European uprights. If you are in the SF Bay area, you might visit
Carnes piano in San Jose. Then travel down the street to the Yamaha dealer and see how they compare to the U3. I have
no affiliation with either dealership, but found it educational in my efforts on which direction to go. If you have
no intention of buying a grand piano in a few years, a few more dollars spent on the "right" upright may be a good idea.

Others may have some thoughts on some of the higher quality uprights coming out of China.

I think it has been suggested more than a few times on this forum that it can be helpful to bring along your music teacher or other experienced piano player if you need help discerning the differences in sound and responsiveness between pianos. Then again, the sound of a piano is to some extent a subjective experience.

- Rick

#2174104 - 10/30/13 01:24 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
If you're really looking for value, second-hand is probably the way to go. Don't be afraid of "gray market" pianos. Read this:

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/grey.htm

Rick Jones has second-hand U3's starting at about $5300 listed on his website (http://rickjonespiano.com), with a ten year warranty, and ships nationwide. I'm not affiliated with Rick Jones, but seriously considered buying a piano there because he seemed like a pretty straight shooter on his website, and he has an excellent reputation on this site. My one visit to his shop was a pleasant experience, and they seemed as honest and friendly in person as they do online.

Ultimately, for maximum value, I decided to buy one of those "Craigslist" pianos that you're avoiding. I bought the same model I saw at Rick Jones for almost 10,000, and I paid less than $2000. It's not quite as shiny, and I don't have a ten year warranty, but the $8000 I saved will pay for a lot of work if it needs it.

#2174258 - 10/30/13 10:38 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
frazbmw Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
If it helps I spent more than 7k on a new U1 OTD. Seems like a great price for a prepped U3. East coast however

#2174261 - 10/30/13 10:49 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL

I accept that customers may not understand pricing, but it really is a shame when they can't accept a good deal when they are given one.

And who's fault is that, Sam? The customer's, or the industry's? Who established this pricing model?

Even car dealers are going away from this antiquated mode of selling. It's about time for the piano industry to change, also.

#2174280 - 10/30/13 11:44 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Retsacnal]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: Retsacnal
If you're really looking for value, second-hand is probably the way to go. Don't be afraid of "gray market" pianos.

I spoke to the piano teacher and other professionals. They mentioned getting burnt purchasing used pianos for their school, but it's fine for them as they are taking a calculated risk.

I did look at few "gray market" pianos at showrooms and at craigslist sales.

#2174282 - 10/30/13 11:45 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: frazbmw]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: frazbmw
If it helps I spent more than 7k on a new U1 OTD. Seems like a great price for a prepped U3. East coast however

Thanks. This is good info.

#2174283 - 10/30/13 11:48 AM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: musicNow]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: musicNow
You might consider looking at some of the used European uprights. If you are in the SF Bay area.......
- Rick

I am not in SF area, but can you tell me the brand/models for the European uprights ?

Don't think I will lean towards used, but will look at the new pianos.

#2174294 - 10/30/13 12:15 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
A couple of Brands:
-Bechstein
-Petrof
-Sauter
-Schimmel
-Seiler
and so on....

Why don't you buy a used piano at a dealer? You don't have to tune it 4 times in the first year, you don't pay the "new premium". And most of the times you get a 5-10 year warranty.

The European piano's tend to be a bit more expensive then their Japanese counterparts.

#2174302 - 10/30/13 12:32 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Plowboy]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Plowboy

And who's fault is that, Sam? The customer's, or the industry's? Who established this pricing model?

Even car dealers are going away from this antiquated mode of selling. It's about time for the piano industry to change, also.

I agree.

Perhaps the piano industry should adopt Macy's model. Have a sale every week from Wed-Sunday where half the store is marked down 25-50% off. That's your real price. Probably at the same rate of the old lady who walks in and thinks your prices are actually your prices, you'll get someone that comes in on a Mon-Tues who needs a piano NOW and make them pay the sticker price.

Or you could go with the grocery club card model. There's always some who are too lazy or worried about their personal info, don't want to sign-up, and don't mind paying double the real price.

I wonder how much of these stores' profits come from these types of shoppers.

#2174323 - 10/30/13 12:56 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Plowboy]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

And who's fault is that, Sam? The customer's, or the industry's?
It was commentary, not personal criticism. I believe I have solutions that would significantly improve if not solve most of the issues, though getting industry wide acceptance is perhaps the bigger problem. It's just too small of an industry to properly force the issues, IMO.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#2174329 - 10/30/13 01:05 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: wimpiano]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: wimpiano
A couple of Brands:
-Bechstein
-Petrof
-Sauter
-Schimmel
-Seiler
and so on....

Why don't you buy a used piano at a dealer? You don't have to tune it 4 times in the first year, you don't pay the "new premium". And most of the times you get a 5-10 year warranty.

The European piano's tend to be a bit more expensive then their Japanese counterparts.

Thanks. I will take a look when I visit the dealer this week.

#2174333 - 10/30/13 01:10 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
And who's fault is that, Sam? The customer's, or the industry's?
It was commentary, not personal criticism. I believe I have solutions that would significantly improve if not solve most of the issues, though getting industry wide acceptance is perhaps the bigger problem. It's just too small of an industry to properly force the issues, IMO.

Sam, I didn't think you were being critical of the poster at all. You've always come across as fair-minded here.

I'm truly interested in what your solutions are. Maybe in another thread, if you feel so inclined.

When you walk into a Steinway dealership, you know what the price is. Why shouldn't it be the same at a Yamaha dealer?

#2174356 - 10/30/13 01:57 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Pa82mdd]
michaelha Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I think for starters, dealers should print their prices on the web and quote over the phone. A Yamaha dealer said Yamaha prohibits them from doing that but I'm not completely convinced. I think this would encourage them to print their real prices since consumers would know early on what the prices actually are and can decide if they even want to visit that shop or not. So if they print inflated prices like many of them do now, they'll lose the foot traffic. I suppose they could have a "University Sale" every weekend.

#2174360 - 10/30/13 02:13 PM Re: New Yamaha U3 pricing for West Coast ... HELP! [Re: Retsacnal]
Pa82mdd Offline

Originally Posted By: Retsacnal
If you're really looking for value, second-hand is probably the way to go. Don't be afraid of "gray market" pianos. Read this:

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/grey.htm

Thanks Retsacnal and saw your Baldwin M purchase, which is really nice. Congrats on the excellent find.

I looked at "gray market" and the discount compared to buying new + warranty is not that great. Maybe I will consider if/when my kids graduate to a grand piano and I have to time to search.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ajames, ando, AndresD, AmateurBob, 40 invisible), 1832 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75599 Members
42 Forums
156310 Topics
2295662 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Carrying Bah for Rokit 6 G3 monitors?
by Mta88
07/31/14 03:39 PM
Supplemental instruction?
by TwoSnowflakes
07/31/14 03:15 PM
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission