Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, allakart, AmateurBob, 39 invisible), 1570 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2174550 - 10/30/13 09:58 PM Is Alicia's Keys worth $49
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am considering getting it. I do not have that particular piano and like the demos.

I ended up for $49 getting the Native Instruments Piano Collection though. It gets different reviews but I personally liked the demos.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2174559 - 10/30/13 10:15 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I think Alicia's Keys is well worth $49. It has great resonance and dynamics, and is very expressive. My preference, most of the time, is Ivory II, but I do go back to Alicia's Keys from time to time.

#2174576 - 10/30/13 11:24 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I found AK to be quite terrible. Not worth buying.

#2174700 - 10/31/13 08:04 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
As a stand-alone sound, I would not recommend it.

However, it has some nice timbre with which to mix with another piano sound.

I use it from time to time as a mix for my ES7 sound.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2174880 - 10/31/13 02:40 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: dmd]
Macy Online   content
500 Post Club Member

How much is something worth that you will never use when you get good piano software? Seriously, just get the Vintage D or the American D unless you must have a Yamaha piano. If so, get the full Ivory II. It has a playable Yamaha. I wish someone else had a playable Yamaha.

Also, IMO, never buy anything based on demos. Demo's are worse than useless. That's how I ended up wasting a bunch of dollars on the EWQL pianos.

Edited by Macy (10/31/13 02:45 PM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2175008 - 10/31/13 07:10 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Macy]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: Macy

Also, IMO, never buy anything based on demos. Demo's are worse than useless. That's how I ended up wasting a bunch of dollars on the EWQL pianos.

I agree with this, in isolation. But demos, when combined with reading intelligent reviews regarding specific strengths and weaknesses can sometimes sort of confirm what people are saying, and help one get a sense.

I looked at Alicia's Keys and decided against it in favor of the Vintage D, mostly because the people who really like AK tend to emphasize pop/rock "great in the mix" sorts of attributes, which isn't what I was looking for.

I 2nd Vintage D. It's a bit more money (not as expensive as Ivory) but I continue to be thrilled to have it, so it was definitely worth getting. But everyone's needs and sensibilities are different, so there's no one right answer.

#2175058 - 10/31/13 10:15 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I have to agree with Macy. Everything in a demo environment differs from your working environment. So piano must be touched to be evaluated ... and that goes for software pianos, too.

#2175073 - 10/31/13 10:47 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Psychonaut]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Psychonaut
I looked at Alicia's Keys and decided against it in favor of the Vintage D, mostly because the people who really like AK tend to emphasize pop/rock "great in the mix" sorts of attributes, which isn't what I was looking for.

I tend to translate "sounds great in a mix" to "overly bright and compressed, with too low a quality for solo work" - sort of an accidental damning with faint praise that speaks volumes.

#2175106 - 11/01/13 12:42 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: dewster]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster

I tend to translate "sounds great in a mix" to "overly bright and compressed, with too low a quality for solo work" - sort of an accidental damning with faint praise that speaks volumes.

Yup, exactly, LOL. We're on the same page here. But of course you try to find a variety of comments from different people at the various music gear and DAW-oriented sites (I'm sure you know what they are), and look for patterns in the comments that sound credible when aggregated.

And I'm not knocking Alicia's Keys, not only for the obvious reason that I haven't tried it, but because "overly bright and compressed" appeals to many people, and is suitable for certain popular and 21st century digitally-oriented genres. Again, it all depends on what you want to do sonically, what kind of music you want to create.

And the Galaxy Vintage D is quite tweakable & versatile... You can get a whole array of those sharp, bright searing "hot" sounds if you want to. Even some of the presets are ultra-compressed. It's just not why I bought it or how I plan to use it. The "basic grand", even without tweaking, is a wonderful, subdued and warm virtual concert grand IMHO. At least good enough for me at the level I'm at right now.

#2175158 - 11/01/13 05:11 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Psychonaut]
500 Post Club Member

I went on Galaxy's site to get an idea of their pianos- are they sold in the US by any retailers? Thanks for all of your replies as well,
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2175253 - 11/01/13 10:33 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Galaxy's site directs you to 'Best Service' when you click 'where to buy'. Then you just download it from from there. Perhaps it's not available in shops....not necessary.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2175256 - 11/01/13 10:41 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

.....I also toyed with the idea of getting AK many times because I'm used to Native Instruments stuff, and I like the idea of a sampled Yamaha grand. However, I'm not that keen on the other Native Instruments pianos which come as part of Komplete: Vienna, Berlin & New York (NY is best) - non of these are anywhere near as good as Roland SN, they are more or less on a par with Piano Teq, though I prefer PT in most cases (not all).....so this experience and the fact that Alice's Keys gets a bad press here has put me off.

#2175272 - 11/01/13 11:23 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Psychonaut]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And I'm not knocking Alicia's Keys...

Me neither.

It can be quite instructive to buy a lesser sampled piano and struggle with its shortcomings for a while, and then run screaming into the arms of something more expensive / higher quality. AK seems to be priced well for this. But I think I'd start with a stripped down version of Pianoteq, that's something I'd likely find uses for even after getting Ivory or whatever.

#2175288 - 11/01/13 11:53 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Having paid more than double than $49 dollars for AK, when it first came out, I certainly don't find it overly bright and compressed.
In general, I am not a fan of the Yamaha piano sound, but AK is a good sounding piano, for a reasonable price.

One of my favourites so far, is the 'Giant' from NI.
Very tweakable, and playable.

#2175370 - 11/01/13 02:09 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: R0B]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: R0B
Having paid more than double than $49 dollars for AK, when it first came out, I certainly don't find it overly bright and compressed.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I wasn't commenting on AK so much as piano voices that "sit well in the mix" (though AK does have a rather limited dynamic range of 32 dB).

#2175374 - 11/01/13 02:17 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
Can any one tell me where to get Alicia's Keys for $49? I'm seeing the price as twice that.

#2175381 - 11/01/13 02:28 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: EP]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: EP
Can any one tell me where to get Alicia's Keys for $49? I'm seeing the price as twice that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/native-instruments-alicias-keys-virtual-piano

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2175384 - 11/01/13 02:30 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
EP Offline

dmd - Thanks! I just might try it out.

#2175386 - 11/01/13 02:33 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

They don't ship to Portugal disappointingly. Maybe Musician's Friend only deals with the USA........friendly within certain limits?

Edited by toddy (11/01/13 02:34 PM)

#2175548 - 11/01/13 08:05 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: toddy]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
They don't ship to Portugal disappointingly. Maybe Musician's Friend only deals with the USA........friendly within certain limits?

Does Portugal get "Musician's Enemy" catalogs choking their mail slots, with products they won't send you?

#2176107 - 11/02/13 08:08 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: dewster]
500 Post Club Member

just got the native instruments 4 pianos today- will write a review this month after a work trip.

I actually like the source of the AK; an approx. 6' Yamaha- I find the 9' too bright for my liking
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2176293 - 11/03/13 08:14 AM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: dewster]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy

Does Portugal get "Musician's Enemy" catalogs choking their mail slots, with products they won't send you?

No,actually, since you ask. Mail boxes here are choked with offers for trips by coach to Fatima or Lourdes or destinations with unique, native herbal teas which will cure all physical and mental ills.

It's amazing really. When they are gone (and these brochures already have the smell of a bygone age) I shall miss them.

Nevertheless, they go straight to the bin unread, of course. The lot of the mailshot is not a happy one.

#2177044 - 11/04/13 04:31 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: dewster]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
And I'm not knocking Alicia's Keys...

Me neither.

It can be quite instructive to buy a lesser sampled piano and struggle with it's shortcomings for a while, and then run screaming into the arms of something more expensive / higher quality. AK seems to be priced well for this. But I think I'd start with a stripped down version of Pianoteq, that's something I'd likely find uses for even after getting Ivory or whatever.

spot on comment. there is something to be said for making your own mistakes and learning the hard way. i think i paid 69 or 79 for it a couple years ago at a guitar center. thought i was getting a deal. played with it for about a month and it hasn't been used since. just think there are several better options out there for not that much more money. and i've never been very good with the idea that i will need to possess a battery of pianos that i can go to for various tonal qualities or moods. if i find one that i like, i pretty much stick to it. AK isn't it. But if you are a composer and you want certain timbres- well at this price it won't hurt you too much.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2177568 - 11/05/13 01:43 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: bfb]
Macy Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Yes, AK (at $49) is well priced for something you can buy and then never use once you play it and find out how bad it is. It is nearly unplayable in my opinion because of the deadness (lack of sustain) on the C note one octave above middle C (and one or two other notes). I discussed this problem with its creator when it was first released and he acknowledged the issue but refused to fix it.

So the question is: Why buy it in the first place?

The Vintage D is about $125 (or you can pay $175 to also get a copy of AK at $49 that you will then never use). The Ivory II American D is $180. These are by far the two most highly recommended pianos discussed here and have met the test of time.

If you absolutely must have a Yamaha piano (rather than a Steinway), I would recommend the Ivory II Grand Piano collection which includes a playable (but rather hot and zingy) Yamaha C7 and a decent Steinway D (but not the American D). Unfortunately I don't know of another good Yamaha alternative. On the other hand, the Vintage D can easily be voiced to work very well for musical genre's that I would normally choose to use a Yamaha piano. I would not recommend the American D for those applications.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2178001 - 11/06/13 01:28 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
EP Offline

OK, I just received Alicia's Keys yesterday, so am comparing it to Pianoteq which I already have, using a Kawai VPC1.
I had a hard time getting AK to work at all, because it wouldn't play nice with my ASIO drivers (a Maya44 card). I installed my Emu 1010 and it's working great with them. A-B'ing Pianoteq and AK (both running at the same time) and so far AK is a clear winner for me. Maybe I'm just used to the sound, since my piano is a Yamaha C3.
Admittedly this is just a preliminary judgement, but so far I can't seem to tweak Pianoteq to where I'm pleased with the sound. I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm itching to try Ivory, but it might be a while before I can get ahold of it. There just doesn't seem to be any way to really tell until you run them in your setup.

Update - now that I've had a couple of days to check it out and work some more with Pianoteq, I mostly prefer Pianoteq at this point. Note that I'm simply using the software for real-time playing, not for sequencing. There are so many options in Pianoteq it's really a matter of learning how to get the sound you want, and the real-time response, dynamics, half-pedalling, etc., are just better. AK might be better for sequencing, but I haven't tried that yet.

Edited by EP (11/07/13 09:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Update

#2178495 - 11/07/13 01:39 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: EP]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EP
OK, I just received Alicia's Keys yesterday, so am comparing it to Pianoteq which I already have, using a Kawai VPC1.
I had a hard time getting AK to work at all, because it wouldn't play nice with my ASIO drivers (a Maya44 card). I installed my Emu 1010 and it's working great with them. A-B'ing Pianoteq and AK (both running at the same time) and so far AK is a clear winner for me. Maybe I'm just used to the sound, since my piano is a Yamaha C3.
Admittedly this is just a preliminary judgement, but so far I can't seem to tweak Pianoteq to where I'm pleased with the sound. I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm itching to try Ivory, but it might be a while before I can get ahold of it. There just doesn't seem to be any way to really tell until you run them in your setup.

Update - now that I've had a couple of days to check it out and work some more with Pianoteq, I mostly prefer Pianoteq at this point. Note that I'm simply using the software for real-time playing, not for sequencing. There are so many options in Pianoteq it's really a matter of learning how to get the sound you want, and the real-time response, dynamics, half-pedalling, etc., are just better. AK might be better for sequencing, but I haven't tried that yet.

sounds like your AK is heading for the Island of Misfit Toys.

Edited by bfb (11/07/13 01:41 PM)

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2178506 - 11/07/13 01:57 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
EP Offline

If only it were the only $ I'd spent on something I don't use.
Ah well, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, or something like that.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll use it some, I always do if only out of stubborn-ness.

#2178509 - 11/07/13 02:03 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

i wouldn't sweat it. it costs about as much as two large pizzas and a pitcher of beer.

#2178513 - 11/07/13 02:13 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
EP Offline

Yes, plus it's a learning experience and didn't add to my waistline.
Plus, it finally got me to pull the Maya44 out of my system (it's been problematic from the get-go) and plug in the EMU 1010, which is a better card, at least in my Gateway-without-any-PCI-slots. (That's another story, but it was a rather nasty surprise that the computer came with only PCIe slots so none of my old cards would work).

#2178687 - 11/07/13 08:24 PM Re: Is Alicia's Keys worth $49 [Re: EP]
500 Post Club Member

I have decided for the next few weeks to hold off- maybe it would go lower for black friday.

I am finding addictive keys well worth the $29, for the variety and editing available.
Soon I will open up the other native pianos- which at $12.50 each are a good deal, I like how they sound.

I still need to hook up my Ik total workstation sounds and see what else I might want.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
11/25/14 07:19 PM
Garritan CFX vs VI Ravenscroft?
by LFYM
11/25/14 06:52 PM
Other Yamaha DGx 640/650 owners here ?
by vbdx66
11/25/14 06:19 PM
Going from ETD to aural - only octaves, only bass
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 05:28 PM
The less I practice, the better I get :-)
by Mark_C
11/25/14 04:49 PM
Forum Stats
77047 Members
42 Forums
159352 Topics
2340773 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission