2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Let me ask you guys something: Does it matter whose opinion you're reading? Would a composers opinion matter more than a pianists, in this (rather silly if I may add) debate?

Just wondering if I should join or not... grin

I am a composer, and yes, feel free to join. I have no problem having this discussion as long as it doesn't escalate into a flame war.

Not sure whether you are inviting to discuss or not with your "absolutely wrong" and "IMNSHO".

So I'll stay out. wink

Let me ask you guys something: Does it matter whose opinion you're reading? Would a composers opinion matter more than a pianists, in this (rather silly if I may add) debate?

EDIT: Polyphonist: music does not exist to move you. There are other reasons as well... wink

I can see where you are going. That's one main reason I hold Scriabin above Rakhmaninov in terms of composition skills.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Alan Lai

I am a composer, and yes, feel free to join. I have no problem having this discussion as long as it doesn't escalate into a flame war.

Not sure whether you are inviting to discuss or not with your "absolutely wrong" and "IMNSHO".

So I'll stay out. wink

Just because I have a strong opinion doesn't mean I don't want to discuss it. And "absolutely wrong" was the wrong phrase to use, sorry.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

EDIT: Polyphonist: music does not exist to move you. There are other reasons as well... wink

I can see where you are going. That's one main reason I hold Scriabin above Rakhmaninov in terms of composition skills.

What reason?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok.

I'll be wearing this little baby and we can start: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qbN0A_FRJ...lpaper+Backgrounds+by_biggreenpepper.jpg

I think that when "classifying" composers you can go in two main different directions:
a. How much 'niceness' is in his music. What great music he wrote.
b. How much 'creativity' is in his music. How original he was.

In the case of Rachmaninoff I think that in "a" he was simply brilliant. His music is great, is heard all over the place, people love it and pianists love it. -

As far as "b" is concerned however, he seemed to disregard any new developments in music, and went his own new-romantic way. Which may be fine and dandy, but when it comes to composing, I (personally) feel very much restrained, if I have to base my stuff on a given melody, or a pre-existing idea. (and to explain, this is not a pun towards you, polyphonist. I'm in the middle of working on a commission on a well known theme, and while I'm enjoying the process and it's fun, it simply doesn't feel mine).

Somehow, when using the same ideas/stuff/aesthetic many times, for me (I repeat) it feels less creative...

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
As far as "b" is concerned however, he seemed to disregard any new developments in music, and went his own new-romantic way. Which may be fine and dandy, but when it comes to composing, I (personally) feel very much restrained, if I have to base my stuff on a given melody, or a pre-existing idea. (and to explain, this is not a pun towards you, polyphonist. I'm in the middle of working on a commission on a well known theme, and while I'm enjoying the process and it's fun, it simply doesn't feel mine).

Somehow, when using the same ideas/stuff/aesthetic many times, for me (I repeat) it feels less creative...

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. The part I disagree with here is your assumption that the fact that Rachmaninoff was a conservative automatically means he wasn't creative, and recycled ideas, which is just not true of him. And then for some reason you bring your own experience into the discussion, which is completely irrelevant.

Bach was a conservative also. Does that make Bach inferior to Scarlatti and Telemann?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yes, that was just piano music. I've heard his 1st and 2nd symphonies, and I liked them a lot. But they do not move me in the way Rach's 2nd does.

Go listen to the Poem of Ecstasy and Prometheus. While his first two symphonies are great, I don't think they compare to his other 3 (if you want to count the latter 2 as symphonies). There's nothing better than the climaxes of both of those two pieces (especially Prometheus).

A
A

You might think Scriabin was a better composer, but my point is their achievement as composers is far beyond that of even a great pianist or conductor

A
A
Ok.

I'll be wearing this little baby and we can start: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qbN0A_FRJ...lpaper+Backgrounds+by_biggreenpepper.jpg

I think that when "classifying" composers you can go in two main different directions:

In the case of Rachmaninoff I think that in "a" he was simply brilliant. His music is great, is heard all over the place, people love it and pianists love it. -

"b" is called "ego"

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
antony: I really need to go (school run), but you're kidding right? "b" is ego?!?! haha...

A
A
antony: I really need to go (school run), but you're kidding right? "b" is ego?!?! haha...

It takes a lot of "b" to produce "a". Better to laugh than to cry

Originally Posted by antony
Ok.

"b" is called "ego"

So are you insinuating what makes Rakhmaninov a great composer is just how nice his compositions sound?

Alright. I'm out.

This is going nowhere.

A
A
Ok.

"b" is called "ego"

So are you insinuating what makes Rakhmaninov a great composer is just how nice his compositions sound?

I'm not but he is

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

lol. It's agood thing I wore that flame armor... Brr...

A
A

Why don't you provide an example from both of the categories that you outlined from your definition; perhaps something of your own

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict
Yes, that was just piano music. I've heard his 1st and 2nd symphonies, and I liked them a lot. But they do not move me in the way Rach's 2nd does.

Go listen to the Poem of Ecstasy and Prometheus. While his first two symphonies are great, I don't think they compare to his other 3 (if you want to count the latter 2 as symphonies). There's nothing better than the climaxes of both of those two pieces (especially Prometheus).

Yes there is. The climax of the Rachmaninoff. Of course this is all subjective.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Why don't you provide an example from both of the categories that you outlined from your definition; perhaps something of your own
apart from the fact that Google is your friend and so is my signature, how about you tell me/us a little more about your own thoughts on the subject instead of throwing single phrase posts, huh? I mean do you disagree with the categories I provided or is it something else at hand here?

A
A
Of course I disagree with your categories- yet the burden of proof is not on the one who disagrees, but the one who makes the claim. Considering the categories were created by you, it doesn't seem like you would be reluctant to present a composer or work that you think is successful because it employs the traits in category "a" and similarly examples of successful works/composers that employ category "b"

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But you see the point is that I don't care to persuade anyone. I'm not passionate at all for this (in fact I did call it a silly debate to begin with. If you were a bit careful you'd have noticed that).

If you are too eager to check examples of both categories, go over to these two websites:
www.musica-ferrum.com
www.northbysound.com

Both contain works of mine. Check, have a listen and see if they all feel the same... :-/

But it IS up to you in the end. I offered an idea and not much else (and something that Polyphonist was eager to discuss...). smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission