2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Okay now I'm confused. How do you slur staccato notes, the sustain pedal?

Michael, please explain more specifically what exactly portato is vs. portamento vs. Busoni's glissando.

Hi Steve,

With portamento the slur is only a phrasing slur. What is involved is a specific type of piano touch, which as I am sure you know is described as halfway between staccato and legato, but it is a third touch and not an extended staccato or a detached legato. With the clavichord (and also here in reply to currawong) as I understand it, in the Italian clavichord literature portato involves increasing the tension on the string to raise the pitch, and portamento involves reducing the tension to lower the pitch. It seems that to describe all of this - including speculation on those Busoni "glissandos" - would be a very complicated procedure involving piano playing kinesiology and which would need a fair bit of time to work through in the details.

When it was said that there is no portamento on the piano as though that were the end of it I thought that it would make sense to join in the conversation and say that there is a specific touch with the piano to which stalefeas was referring.

This thread was the first time I encountered the use of "portato" for something that every where else I ever read which involved keyboard playing was described as "portamento" - but most of this material which I've read was written more than 60 years ago and the uses of words can change over time.

M.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
With the clavichord (and also here in reply to currawong) as I understand it, in the Italian clavichord literature portato involves increasing the tension on the string to raise the pitch, and portamento involves reducing the tension to lower the pitch.
You can certainly raise the pitch by increasing the pressure of the tangent on a string, but you can't lower it unless it has already been raised by that method. I guess you could taper off a firm initial stroke - I'm just surprised these terms are used. Must look it up. smile
So, interesting stuff, but probably not what Joel is asking. As he's arranging a Chopin song (which has a very simple chordal accompaniment with none of these things) for violin and piano, I can only assume he's talking about violin portamento, and how to notate it (if in fact you do at all). But as he seems to have gone missing, we don't really know. Ah well. smile

Du holde Kunst...
JoelW #2175060 10/31/13 10:16 PM
S
S
Yeah actually I have also assumed the portamento applies to the violin part. I have only seen a portamento in a piano work once, but I am not sure what was implied in that specific case. I understand portamento as being a slide from one note to another, usually written like a slur. Staccato marks with slurs I always hear being called portato. It is possible the terms have been interchanged throughout history, as they are very similar, but a true portamento would not be possible on piano, the closest approximation being a chromatic glissando.

The specific instance I have seen on piano was for a jazz étude, and in this case the slur connects a note and a rest. A colleague I consulted claimed that usually this means portamento when written for brass instruments, but that he has not seen this for piano before.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission