2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat annoying problem with the "down" button on my Roland FP3, which isn't clicking properly. It makes a clicking sound but sometimes only actually registers a click (and sometimes multiple ones) if I press it harder. This video shows the problem - it's not working at the start, but then starts working again after I press it harder. You can also hear the clicking sound (over the rain outside!) if you turn up the volume.

What's the usual way of fixing this? Do I have to get a whole new circuit board or can you solder in a new component (if so, how to obtain it?)... or is there an easier way to fix?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looks like a simple case of a failed button. Pretty much anyone doing component-level repairs can fix it (swap out the button), but send it to Roland if you want to ensure that the replacement part is as similar to the original as possible.

But yeah, common problem and not a lot of money to fix.

Les C Deal

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Les.

I wonder if anyone who's had a similar problem can relate their experience of fixing it?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No problem! I wouldn't attempt to fix the problem unless you are comfortable de-soldering and re-soldering components as this is the only way around it. Since you presumably already have the PCB removed, it would be easy to just send the part out for repair.

I have a similar problem with the #4 numerical button on one of my Kurzweil machines but I have just been working around it since the keyboard is such a pain to take apart and it's too costly to ship the whole thing. I'm just waiting until I have other problems to fix while I'm inside (which may be soon as the felts are getting a little worn).

Les C Deal

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So this is now fixed... I thought I'd add a guide in case anyone else comes across this thread who needs it.

How to replace a panel switch on a Roland FP-3

1. Assess whether a new switch is required
If clicks only register when you press the button hard, the switch needs to be replaced. I took one of the old switches apart, and here's what it looks like inside. There appears to be wear on the bottom side of the spring disc in the middle.

[Linked Image]

2. Obtain a new switch
Part number from Roland is 01340290. They charged £0.83 each + £3.99 handling + VAT.
You can also get the part from a 3rd party: it is a Panasonic EVQ11A05R. I couldn't find anywhere in the UK (except Roland) that stocks them, and it would be £12 per order to import from USA.
You could use a substitute with simlar specs (datasheet) - basically a 6x6x5 mm tactile switch with 2 legs and 1 N force (100 gf). Most of the switches these days seem to have 4 legs (for stability?) so maybe this is why these are a bit hard to get hold of.
From the datasheet it seems the EVQ11D05B has the same specs but 10x the operating life, so get that if possible!
The Omron B3F-6020 looks very similar (datasheet), has a long operating life, and is stocked by Farnell in the UK.

3. Practice soldering!
If you haven't done much soldering before, I suggest watching the linked videos on desoldering and basic soldering. Then find some old elctronic item and practice desoldering and reattaching some components (I used an old XBox remote control).

4. Unplug everything and place upside-down on a wide workbench / table / floor.

[Linked Image]

5. Remove the 7 silver screws along the border of the upper casing
DON'T remove any of the other screws on the rear side.

[Linked Image]

6. Remove the 4 screws along each side on the bottom of the case.

[Linked Image]

7. Open the casing
The keyboard and upper casing are now attached only by a couple of flimsy wires. To open, I suggest carefully turning the whole thing over (remember the keyboard is no longer supported by the sides!) and lifting the top / sides back. Don't stand them upright, since it's not steady and if one side falls it could break the connectors. (Yes I did that... oops... fortunately the wire and the ribbon connectors pulled out of their sockets rather than broke.)

[Linked Image]

8. Detach the Panel Board
The panel board is in the middle, containing the display panel and controls. Bend up the three black wire holders and release the wires along the bottom. Remove the 12 silver screws along the top and bottom of the board.

[Linked Image]

9. Power up your soldering iron

[Linked Image]

10. Desolder the switch connections using the iron and pump
I'm right handed and found it best to hold the iron in my left hand, and pump in my right, as you need to be very quick to suck up the solder. Then you should be able to detach the switch by giving a little tug / wiggle, if necessary melting any remaining solder with the iron while you tug it out.

[Linked Image]

11. Solder in the new switch
Take your replacement switch and cut off all but about 4 mm of the legs.

[Linked Image]

Insert into holes, ensuring you have it the same way round as the others. When in place, bend the legs along the track of the wire, then solder. Once attached, you'll probably see the switch is not flush with the board and exactly centred, so apply pressure to the switch with your free hand and re-melt the connections so it sits properly in place.

(Not the prettiest of joints below, but I think it's because I used lead-free solder, unlike the 60/40 tin/lead I used in the joints on the left above... but hey, it works)

[Linked Image]

12. Power up the board and test the new switch with your finger
The relevant LED should light up or change colour or do whatever it normally does.
No, you won't electocute yourself since the power supply is low voltage.

13. Re-attach the Panel Board screws and test
Put the screws in lightly at first, then tighten when they're all in place.
Test ALL the buttons several times. I found that sometimes a couple of the buttons would stop working properly when I re-attached the panel, but it seemed to be that maybe it wasn't quite centred over the external buttons. Unscrewing the board, checking the switch with my finger, and re-attaching the board made it work fine again. Power off and unplug.

14. Re-assemble and re-attach all screws removed in steps 5 and 6
And you're done!

Time taken: 71 minutes. But probably half that if I did it again...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good work, and very nicely documented! wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Great stuff, just great. I just repaired myself my older 3gs iPhone after the shop said it was a dud, and that feels great too. Musical geeks love their stuff.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Great post, OP!

C
C
Thanks for the helpful post. I replaced 17 switches on my Roland FP-3.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission