Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2173302 - 10/28/13 05:17 PM Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Started to learn this beautiful Nocturne many years ago, and thought it might be a good idea to finally work it up and record it. Not perfect by any means - but this is a challenging piece on many levels. And yes, that's me standing by Chopin's grave. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhdUL1oyjU&feature=share&list=UUhgp9Wg9ryMesmZyLgVqiCw

#2173342 - 10/28/13 06:39 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Lovely playing. I like the tempos you've chosen, especially for the "stormy" section.

#2173530 - 10/29/13 03:36 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: ChrisKeys]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisKeys
I like the tempos you've chosen, especially for the "stormy" section.

Interestingly, the tempo of the "stormy" middle section is actually the same as the tempo for the rest of the piece, except Chopin marked it "agitato" and added more notes per beat.

Thanks for listening and commenting Chris !!

#2173569 - 10/29/13 07:12 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
I haven't listen very carefully but I have these two impression:

1. For the A section, make sure your RH melody stands out. Your LH is too loud, make it sound less percussive, more velvety.

2. For the B section, your pedaling sounds like hiccup. Make sure only change your pedal when your hands are holding the next chord. Do not lift both hands and feet up together.

#2173667 - 10/29/13 10:47 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: Alan Lai]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alan Lai

1. For the A section, make sure your RH melody stands out. Your LH is too loud, make it sound less percussive, more velvety.

Hi Alan. I appreciate the observation and understand what you mean here. Not to make excuses ha, but much of the challenge of maintaining the ideal balance is the nature of the piano I'm recording on. The M&H BB (with lid fully raised) has a naturally full and powerful bass and mid-range that is difficult to subdue - even when playing lightly. (I've talked with other M&H owners who have the same issue.) I normally prefer to practice this and other similar pieces with the lid down - which then makes it much easier to achieve the proper balance and velvety effect. Unfortunately, recording with the lowered lid results in an overall muffled sound (at least with my current set up).

Quote:
2. For the B section, your pedaling sounds like hiccup. Make sure only change your pedal when your hands are holding the next chord. Do not lift both hands and feet up together.

The B section as in the "Stormy" middle section? If so, I don't really hear what you're talking about - but perhaps I'm just too close to it !! grin

Thanks for commenting !!

Edited by carey (10/29/13 10:50 AM)

#2175415 - 11/01/13 03:19 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Very nice playing as usual.

I find the tempo of the first part a bit on the slow side.
And maybe a little bit rubato could be employed here.

In the second part maybe there can be some more dynamic variation between repeating sections.

All in all I enjoyed listening to your performance.
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2175470 - 11/01/13 05:01 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: Hakki]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hakki
Very nice playing as usual.

I find the tempo of the first part a bit on the slow side.
And maybe a little bit rubato could be employed here.

In the second part maybe there can be some more dynamic variation between repeating sections.

All in all I enjoyed listening to your performance.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Hakki - I plan to continue to massage this, even though after 37 years it is starting to wear a little thin. grin

#2175524 - 11/01/13 06:42 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Started to learn this beautiful Nocturne many years ago, and thought it might be a good idea to finally work it up and record it. Not perfect by any means - but this is a challenging piece on many levels. And yes, that's me standing by Chopin's grave. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhdUL1oyjU&feature=share&list=UUhgp9Wg9ryMesmZyLgVqiCw

There are those out there, albeit thanks to a man who sight read every one of his Chopin recordings (Rubinstein) who do not know that this particular compose essentially invented the term rhapsodic when it came to playing the piano.

I get so sick of reading: play the left hand in strict tempo,

#2175528 - 11/01/13 06:58 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

There are those out there who have not had the opportunity to be exposed to the applied musicological knowledge that Chopin essentially invented rhapsodic playing. It is no accident that this man wrote virtually everything in ABA Song Form.

So, friend, even though I have damned this particular pianist on every occasion, here is a link of someone who has it right.

Oh, and not to disappoint, he rolls his chords, asynchronizes his bass line, alters his rhythms, and modifies his tempos.

Go figure!

And, for the record, I would personally play it with way more rhythmic freedom. Jeez, the man (Chopin) said "Lento," and you get to play rhapsodic at the same time?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPn6TdeOHc

#2175541 - 11/01/13 07:51 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
There are those out there who have not had the opportunity to be exposed to the applied musicological knowledge that Chopin essentially invented rhapsodic playing. It is no accident that this man wrote virtually everything in ABA Song Form.

So, friend, even though I have damned this particular pianist on every occasion, here is a link of someone who has it right.

Oh, and not to disappoint, he rolls his chords, asynchronizes his bass line, alters his rhythms, and modifies his tempos.

Go figure!

And, for the record, I would personally play it with way more rhythmic freedom. Jeez, the man (Chopin) said "Lento," and you get to play rhapsodic at the same time?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPn6TdeOHc

Jeez - that was rhapsodic AND lethargic !! Now if he could just knock about 2 minutes off the total run time, he might be on to something !! At least at this tempo(?) he didn't need to worry about hitting any wrong notes. ha

Actually Louis, I almost posted this exact same video a couple of hours ago in response to Hakki's post - but decided not to hijack my own thread. grin Granted, we can learn from listening to all types of interpretations....and I must admit, Pogo takes rolled chords, rhythmic alteration and asynchronization to new realms here.

Thanks for sharing this.

#2175850 - 11/02/13 11:10 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Carey, I listened to both your version and Pogorelich's version that Louis Podesta provided, back-to-back -- and I must confess that, in spite of Pogo's highly self-indulgent tempo, he brings more of the expressive, singing quality that I sense in much of late Chopin -- more specifically, a dramatic, operatic bel canto aria style -- that I really think informs this Nocturne. Pogorelich, it seems to me, turns the entire piece into an operatic soliloquy; and, while his approach is unquestionably over-the-top for my taste, he does I think make a logical case for approaching the piece in this manner. So, briefly put, I would invite you to bring more of the operatic or art song element to your interpretation, while pretty much retaining your own tempi. Thanks for sharing this!

#2175879 - 11/02/13 11:56 AM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Phil, I cannot to wait to hear you play this on my piano:). May be the same time as last year.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2175890 - 11/02/13 12:23 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
and I must confess that, in spite of Pogo's highly self-indulgent tempo, he brings more of the expressive, singing quality that I sense in much of late Chopin -- more specifically, a dramatic, operatic bel canto aria style -- that I really think informs this Nocturne.

AT UT Austin, I had a music lit. teacher by the name of Ferdinand Gajewski. Fred got his PhD. at Harvard in the late works of a composer by the name of Chopin.

Well, one day Fred got up and played for the head of the piano faculty, and every one thought the lady was going to have a stroke. After Fred finished, she exclaimed: you kept speeding up and then slowing down. Fred just looked at her with an expression that said: Duh?

#2177172 - 11/04/13 09:24 PM Re: Chopin - Nocturne Opus 62 No. 2 [Re: carey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I sincerely appreciated the critiques from Chris, Alan, Hakki and Tim.

I re-recorded the Nocturne last weekend in an attempt to address some of the issues raised.

I believe this new version (link below) has a better balance and flow. While the overall interpretation is still fairly straight-forward, I'm basically satisfied with it.

Far greater pianists than I do much more with this material....and that's why they're great!! grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5emL3-0gc&feature=share&list=UUhgp9Wg9ryMesmZyLgVqiCw

NOTE: I'll delete the original recording from my YouTube channel in a couple of days.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
10/01/14 04:11 PM
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
10/01/14 03:58 PM
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
10/01/14 03:34 PM
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
10/01/14 01:08 PM
Who's Online
164 registered (accordeur, alexbergauer, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1699 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157926 Topics
2319327 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission