Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2175753 - 11/02/13 02:40 AM Improving silent piano sound by software piano (cross-post)
takura Offline

Loc: Japan
Hi,

posted a related thread on the Digital Piano forum but haven't gotten any reply there, hoping I will get more input here.

I am planning to upgrade from a combination of Digital Piano (Kawai MP9000 stage piano) with a Software Piano (like Synthogy's Ivory2 running on a PC connected by MIDI) to a combination of a Silent Piano with a Software Piano. Reason for using a Software Piano is that - I believe this is pretty much established fact - it provides a (much) more realistic piano sound than current DPs, Silent Pianos or Hybrids, due to larger samples and higher processing power. Sure it would be best if I didn't have to practice with headphones, but due to rules of the building where I currently live I will not be able to do that a lot for the next few years.

Would anyone here have experience with such a combination and opinions on what Silent Piano would provide a good combination (e.g. due to differences in MIDI implementation or sensor properties)? Would anyone have experience in customizing the parameters of a Software Piano (and especially Ivory2) to match well with a Silent Piano?

My current plan is to go with a Kawai K2-ATX (I like the feel of its Millenium3 action and the Carbon-ABS parts are supposed to be a bit quicker than all wooden actions) and Ivory2, but I'd be happy to try other options as well. I did try almost all DPs I could find as well as the Avantgrands.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2175762 - 11/02/13 03:48 AM Re: Improving silent piano sound by software piano (cross-post) [Re: takura]
Romek Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Hi takura,

Silent piano is not a "hot" topic on PW forum, probably due to the limited number of people using such solution. I've been strugling to get some advice too crazy. In terms of any technical support with software pianos and e.g. Kawai ATX system, the Digital Piano Forum is definitely a better place to aswer your question (there are a few users having silent systems and many users are experienced with software pianos).
Anyway, I use the Bechstein Vario system with the Ivory2 and Galaxy Vintage D without any problems, just plug-and-play. The adjustments I have made were related mainly to the velocity curve and reverb settings but it is just a matter of personal preferences. On the daily basis, I use internal Vario sounds with modified velocity curve to match my acoustic piano's touch.
Ivory or Galaxy products have much better sound than any other digital pianos on-board ones, no doubt about it.

Personally, I think that the silent piano is a good solution esp. when I read endless discussions (unfortunately not very fruitfull) about adventages of acoustic vs digital pianos and vice versa.

Good luck with your project!

Romek

#2177378 - 11/05/13 07:46 AM Re: Improving silent piano sound by software piano (cross-post) [Re: takura]
takura Offline

Loc: Japan
Hi Romek,
thanks for your reply!
The Bechstein Vario must be nice too but I haven't been able to find it on display here in Japan, so I think I will stick to Kawai's ATX.
Can actually understand somewhat that combining silent piano with soft piano isn't so common, I didn't expect much of it myself until I tried - and then it felt soo good.
Takura

#2177409 - 11/05/13 08:48 AM Re: Improving silent piano sound by software piano (cross-post) [Re: takura]
Romek Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted By: takura

The Bechstein Vario must be nice too but I haven't been able to find it on display here in Japan, so I think I will stick to Kawai's ATX.

ATX is a very good system, just make sure to have a good pair of headphones (the ones provided by the manufacturer did not appeal to me).

Have fun!
Romek

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital 36 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
11/01/14 10:07 AM
Kawai CA-95: How to load MIDI (SMF) song from USB device
by SP6NIN
11/01/14 10:04 AM
Yamaha P-35 Issue
by AquaralSS
11/01/14 09:43 AM
Need some help with my new digital piano please
by Oblacone
11/01/14 09:18 AM
Kissin, Lisitsa, Lang Lang So Overrated
by Batuhan
11/01/14 07:29 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (AB Forum Recital, AquaralSS, anotherscott, 36251, 42 invisible), 1661 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76726 Members
42 Forums
158663 Topics
2330147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission