Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2175078 - 10/31/13 11:02 PM Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

TRICK OR TREAT!!!

Recital #32 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 32nd quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of November, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, November 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on November 14, 2013.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2175244 - 11/01/13 10:00 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I see Peyton has learned the Schumann Arabeske - can't wait to hear it!

And Frycek is playing Chopin op28/24! Wow - that one is so dramatic...

Sam

#2175252 - 11/01/13 10:30 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Wow, 10 pieces already on track!
I plan to send my piece next week.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2175286 - 11/01/13 11:51 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh my! Gershwin, Hornsby, Telemann!! Woot! Plus those classical pieces that I never know I know but always like when someone plays them in a recital laugh Who composed Monica's? Looks like a great mix so far. And it opens on a day I'm free to listen so I won't have to wait in suspense - yea!

I'm looking forward to it -

Cathy

#2175322 - 11/01/13 12:40 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Oh boy. Here already. Getting something into this is going to be a stretch. Time is of the essence!!

#2175324 - 11/01/13 12:48 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Sam S

Sam

"learned" may not be perfectly apt... I "learned" all the parts but putting it together for a nice performance... yikes. I had real red dot paralysis and, in the end just went for a "performance", warts and all. I have loved the piece since I heard you play it and will just have to keep working it until I can put it all together to my satisfaction. I reckon that will be a few years down the pike... smile

#2175331 - 11/01/13 12:58 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Is it THE arabesque of Debussy?

And Waterways, Einaudi maybe?

#2175359 - 11/01/13 01:49 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
No "maybe" about it, Wouter. wink

#2175382 - 11/01/13 02:29 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sam

and much more nice stuff

Rachmaninov op32 no5, that could be really nice smile

Maybe Debussy's arabesque

Sibelius

Looks good!

#2175450 - 11/01/13 04:18 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
I submitted several hours ago then had to leave for a few hours and looks like my internet service provider dropped the connection somewhere in there ... should I start over?

Thanks....

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2175474 - 11/01/13 05:04 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Rerun]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Rerun
I submitted several hours ago then had to leave for a few hours and looks like my internet service provider dropped the connection somewhere in there ... should I start over?

Thanks....

Yes, I don't see a partial upload, so just try again.

Sam

#2175476 - 11/01/13 05:04 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK. I've decided. Downloaded music from IMSLP so I don't have any pages to turn. Could have rushed today and get a recording. But, the wind is howling and the house creaking. Just an uneasy sort of day. Still plenty of time to get a recording done.

#2175522 - 11/01/13 06:37 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rerun

Thanks....

Yes, I don't see a partial upload, so just try again.

Sam

Hey Sam, I just resubmitted and emailed Monica the box.com link. It said recital info went thru.

Hey ... thank you two for all the work you put in on this ...

Rerun

#2175530 - 11/01/13 07:11 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
File's uploaded, rerun, so you're all set. smile

#2175534 - 11/01/13 07:23 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, Rerun! FTW! (For the Win means - that's the best!) I'm looking forward to your Chuck Berry.

I'm hoping to record and submit a week from this weekend - I just got thru a gig and can now spend time polishing up my piece. I'm not sure it'll be quite march speed, but it'll be closer than I've been in the past smile

Cathy

#2175585 - 11/01/13 09:47 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Monica ... you guys are the best!

Thanks Cathy, I lucked out and got a decent recording in less than 4 months this time. grin I also did what Sam and Monica recommended and listened to A LOT of old recital entries ... I need to pick your brain on the rhythm on "Sail Along ...", etc. one of these days. Nice work!!

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_19/39.%20joturCathy%20Turner%20-%20Sail%20Along,%20Silvry%20Moon.mp3

#2175642 - 11/01/13 11:48 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks! My brother, who is a professional musician, has always liked that piece. But my, it sounds slow to me now! I think it's time to up my playing to another level. Maybe ground floor instead of basement laugh

Cathy

#2175681 - 11/02/13 12:24 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow... this one is shaping up to be a doozy.

Wouter79, that is an ambitous entry! Plus we have a couple jazz entries already (not nearly enough last time), including Thelonious Monk, plus Clair de Lune (Yay!), and Frycek taking on Chopin 28/24 (some serious runs there).

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2175796 - 11/02/13 07:56 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

TallGuy, yes it's a hard piece. I'm using a transciption by Ernst Traag. It sounds all natural when you have it down and with a band behind it, but without the band setting the beat and bass you have to do a lot more than just get the notes. And it has tons of very weird rythms, it's really syncopated and beyond almost everywhere. Plus that I don't play much in this style. But it's such a great piece, just had to do it smile

#2175839 - 11/02/13 10:30 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Well, I resubmitted, so everyone gets to move up one! At least now I am happy and I am done!

#2176005 - 11/02/13 05:59 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Well mine's finally in at # 20 (although that could change). and you know that's killing me! I always try to be completely ready to submit on opening day to avoid panic ,frustration and negative energy all over the place.

This time I screwed up (although, I ultimately got it fixed).

You see, I WAS completely ready weeks ago. But that was after playing for 6 straight months on a slower, heavier acoustic.

I discounted the amount of 'transition time' it takes to go from a slower, heavier instrument to a lightning fast and light (crisp) digital.

The difference is literally like driving a ford F-150 Super crew (great truck btw) for 6 months and then jumping into a souped up Smart car. I'm not kidding.

This is not a 'good' or a 'bad' thing as they both factually have there pros and cons. It's just something that takes getting used to. For me it usually takes 3-5 days of playing a few hours a day but this time I condensed into 2 1/2 days because I was sweating bullets. Just waiting until the 3rd full day could have cost me another 10-15 spots or so down the list.

Like Sweet Brown on YouTube says....."I don't got time for that"!.

#2176246 - 11/03/13 03:28 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr. Super-Hunky, why didn't you record then 6 months ago on the acoustic? You could have been spending 6 months on the next piece ...

#2176337 - 11/03/13 10:10 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

The difference is literally like driving a ford F-150 Super crew (great truck btw) for 6 months and then jumping into a souped up Smart car.

Out on the rough & tumble highway those F-150s gobble up those silly, casket-like Smart cars, where "souped up" means you don't have to pedal to get them going... laugh Vroom! Vroom!

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2176432 - 11/03/13 01:02 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mr. Super-Hunky, why didn't you record then 6 months ago on the acoustic? You could have been spending 6 months on the next piece ...

A couple of reasons. 6 months ago would have been 4 months earlier than I even started to learn about this piece. But the REAL reason is that although the sound that my Mason & Hamlin makes is absolutely incredible...(it really is!), the fact is my acoustics at the lodge could not be worse.

It's funny Wouter because as I was practicing my recital piece for the past couple of months on the big acoustic, I was honestly thinking of several members who would like this dramatic type of music. In addition to them, I was thinking to myself that you (Wouter) would not be able to listen to my piece since you can't stand listening to digital s.

I can't blame you for wanting to hear specific sound signatures if that's what pops your cork. All I ask is that you understand that with some other people, (me), what pops there cork is simply the beautiful melodies that are being played. Even if these melodies are being reproduced on a cheapo transistor radio, you'll still catch me humming along.

I realize that if an acoustic performance is performed under fairly decent conditions, it will sound much more impressive than any digital performance simply due to the incredible 'presence' and resonance an acoustic can create that you can literally feel. Unfortunately, when an acoustic piano is not placed in a setting that is compatible acoustically, it ends up sounding muffled and boomy in the recordings. In this case it will actually make more sense to submit a better sounding (although limiting) recording performed on a digital as opposed to the mighty and powerful acoustic. This is why I did what I did.

The Llama lodge is a log home with very large round logs that comprise all the walls. Their rounded shape does incredibly funky things to the sound waves as they bounce off them ultimately creating a boomy-conflicting mushy mess.

The good news is while playing the piano, I don't really hear all the acoustic nonsense going on because I hear the music coming from the soundboard before the sound waves start pin balling all over the room. So I have no problem playing and enjoying the mighty Mason. Recordings are a different matter however.

Wouter, if you are literally skipping my performances due to the dislike of the sound of digitals, then I will literally make a separate acoustic recording just for you. I don't mind doing this because I have observed over time that you are serious about your music and appreciation for it. It shows in your own personal performances and your attention to detail.

I really do get 'different strokes for different folks' so I'll do whatever it takes for you to give my music a listen. If you don't like the content, ...well then you just don't like it and move on. I would! But I'd hate to think that you may have missed out on a really beautiful piece just because too much plastic was being used. If that really is the limiting factor, it can easily be changed.

Looking forward to everyones submission in the upcoming recital.

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (11/03/13 01:03 PM)

#2176528 - 11/03/13 03:47 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Wow ladypayne, is that the song from Mary Poppins?!? Can't wait to listen to it!

(and of course many other submissions... but I have a weak spot for Mary Poppins!)

#2176556 - 11/03/13 04:45 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Mine`s in somewhere . . . it`s about the only piece of music I`ve been really pleased with. Mainly because I no longer have the piano!! I miss it . . gone forever!!! frown frown frown

Edited by peterws (11/03/13 04:47 PM)

""

#2176567 - 11/03/13 05:11 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Wouter, if you are literally skipping my performances due to the dislike of the sound of digitals, then I will literally make a separate acoustic recording just for you. I don't mind doing this because I have observed over time that you are serious about your music and appreciation for it. It shows in your own personal performances and your attention to detail.

Wow that's nice blush

If it's not too much work, I'd love to hear you on an acoustic. If the acoustics are really that crappy, it may help to put the mic really close to the piano. Or put some thick carpets in the log

I didn't notice that bad acoustics in your last recital? Or did you move the M&H ?

#2176786 - 11/04/13 06:14 AM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Nice list of submissions everybody!

This time I'll be at the bottom side of the list...
I've my "Two Trees" ready to play and record, but I'm quit busy next days so I think I can't do a record till next weekend. The backup is "Discovery at Night" which is recorded and ready to send.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2176979 - 11/04/13 02:28 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

I didn't notice that bad acoustics in your last recital? Or did you move the M&H ?

Well, I DID record on the Mason without moving it, ...but..., I took the comforter off our bed and stapled it onto the log walls next to the piano. (insert pissed off wife here!) That helped a lot in reducing the pin-ball effect of sound. In addition to stapling my bed comforter onto the wall, I stole the comforter of the bed in one of the guest bedrooms and placed that on the floor beneath the piano itself. (wife is now double-pissed btw!

I've noticed that if I'm playing slower pieces that don't have lots of overtones competing with each other then I can get away with the bed comforter method without too many problems. It is when I play faster pieces (especially using a sustained pedal) that the accumulation of sounds building up start becoming an acoustic recor4ding nightmare. It is at this point where to many corrections (acoustically) are needed to correct the problem so instead I just play and record the piece on my digital. This way, all is calm and good and I tend to throw less stuff around which always seems to end up costing me money somehow!

I put a fairly high value on my sanity. Especially when it concerns a spare time hobby.

Okay, I'll admit it, that was a lie. the fact is, I spend WAY too much time agonizing over my hobbies. Even the slightest hiccups drive me nuts and make me want to correct them. That's actually the truth. I just act like everything is going smoothly. To be honest, I'm still a bit frustrated with my hyped up recital performance because I actually managed to 'clip' the recording twice! ....and it's recorded on a digital!!!!. How pathetic is that?, I didn't even know it was possible to clip the levels on a digital instrument!

(I have a nearly full size inflatable referee that I blow up and then whack about a few times just to vent my built up physical frustrations. It actually works pretty well. Sometimes I even throw in a roundhouse karate kick to the inflatable refs inflatable head. The problem with that though is there is very little resistance to stop the forward momentum of your foot once you hit your target (the refs inflatable head) so you ultimately end up falling to the ground and landing on your sore hip. That sucks!

I'd put the bed comforters on the ground next to the inflatable ref before I kick him to help break the ensuing fall which occurs next, but I can't because I used them all up stapling them to the wall to help muffle the funky sound waves pin balling all over the room.

Recital time really is pretty hectic around here!

#2177009 - 11/04/13 03:40 PM Re: Recital 32 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

In at 22. This was the most difficult piece of those I have recorded to date as far as just getting it recorded. There are mistakes in the final version. But, I erased so many earlier efforts that by this take, what I got sounded pretty good!! I had almonds for a snack before recording. Nearly choked to death!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (ajames, 36251, AndresD, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1700 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156334 Topics
2296038 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
08/01/14 10:38 AM
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
08/01/14 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
08/01/14 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission