Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2176478 - 11/03/13 01:55 PM One of my Ballad Compositions
Eric Mino Offline

Hello,
this is my latest piano composition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAIeEXCEwU

It would be nice to get some feedback :-)

:-)
Eric

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2176488 - 11/03/13 02:04 PM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: Eric Mino]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Obviously it is well composed you have music in you, but if it were up to me, I would have you branch far out from this style. It's banal, predictable, and has been done a million times. frown

#2176489 - 11/03/13 02:05 PM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: JoelW
Obviously it is well composed you have music in you, but if it were up to me, I would have you branch far out from this style. It's banal, predictable, and has been done a million times. frown

+1

Polyphonist

#2176490 - 11/03/13 02:08 PM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: Eric Mino]
kdjupdal Offline

I kind of agree, but...

It is very well done, and beautifully played. Obviously you have found a style that suits you. The chord progressions are predictable, but still pianistically it is very good, and the piece has a well shaped dynamic form.

#2177588 - 11/05/13 02:41 PM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: Eric Mino]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I agree with the others, it's a little too interesting to be meditation music, but also the style is mature at this point. I don't necessarily agree that branching far away from this style is what you should do. I think a good pianist/composer could easily differentiate oneself from the pack by extending one's harmonic sensibilities from the predominantly diatonic by incorporating a bit of chromaticism and jazz harmonic flavors. Let's face it this style of New Agey music is very "Vanilla." Almost every Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, flavor is created by adding good stuff to vanilla ice cream. Think of it as extending your flavor palette.

To reiterate your piece is wonderfully crafted, but ultimately boring. Many people will love it just as it is. You must know that you've posted this on a board with a fairly high level of musical sophistication. We want more from the music posted here than you've given us. If your audience is happy with vanilla then more power to you in supplying it. But, if you're having a hard time breaking away from the pack and making a mark then you might consider what folks here are saying as a way to differentiate yourself and extend this style of music. Good luck.

#2177910 - 11/06/13 09:15 AM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: Eric Mino]
stalefleas Offline

Eh, I really liked this. Previous posters commented in a fashion as predictable as your chord progressions I am afraid to say, and honestly I think it is a cheap critique. Anyone who has issues with a particular musical style isn't benefitting anyone by telling them to change their style. A musician's sensibility is not always the same as musical sensibility, though we tend to think otherwise. While this might not be "musician's music" and won't turn any heads by doing something unexpected, it is written quite beautifully. Once it was over, though a very short piece, I really did feel like I went on some sort of journey that was coming to a close. I loved the melody and the flowing accompaniment. The only part I really disliked was the brief section where you are vamping chords in the right hand. Felt kind of stale going from beautiful melody to just chords. I kept wanting to hear some kind of melody on top of that chord. Maybe you could experiment adding melody notes in that section in top of the chords.

This said, I don't think it would hurt anyone to experiment with different styles, I don't think previous comments are worthless or not worth considering; However, when it comes to your music you are free to write in your own language, to use your own vocabulary. And I just want to say that I felt something when I heard this, and I found it quite beautiful.

#2180456 - 11/11/13 01:22 AM Re: One of my Ballad Compositions [Re: Steve Chandler]
Dara Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
To reiterate your piece is wonderfully crafted, but ultimately boring. Many people will love it just as it is. You must know that you've posted this on a board with a fairly high level of musical sophistication. We want more from the music posted here than you've given us. Good luck.

Thanks for your piano piece Eric. I enjoyed listening to it, welcome to PW and the composers forum.
There are no requirements of "a fairly high level of musical sophistication" , whatever that may mean, to post and interact here. Steve may mean well, apart from his condescension and judgement.
What are your own thoughts about your piece?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, AmateurBob, 45 invisible), 1690 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155788 Topics
2287529 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's ten greatest sonatas?
by JoelW
07/11/14 02:33 PM
Still looking
by capncaption
07/11/14 01:58 PM
Church&organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen(Nether
lands)

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:02 PM
Church & organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen-Nether
lands

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:00 PM
New recording by PW's Joseph Kubera gets sensational...
by pianoloverus
07/11/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission