Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2174713 - 10/31/13 08:55 AM Two songs (vocal + piano)
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have posted one or two compositions for piano here before. This time I want to present two songs (in the real sense of the word). I have used texts in "Elvish" language from "Lord of the Rings". Originaly "Galadirel's song" was written for solo soprano and piano. But when I presented the song for my vocal friends they also wanted to be part of the performance. They also "ordered" one more piece and this is why "A Elbereth" was composed. You may notice that the vocals just sing in unison.
Maybe I should also mention that I have never seen the "Lord of the Rings" movies, but just read the book. Thus I'm not influenced by any of the music written for the movies.

Here are links. Any feedback welcome.

"A Elbereth, Gilthoniel"

https://app.box.com/s/rc4y5fucagkmtvf6w4wb

"Galadriel's song"

https://app.box.com/s/rkwhv4qx8k9t6k365zh4

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2176495 - 11/03/13 02:23 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I didn't get much (actually none at all) response on these two compositions. One possible (maybe even likely) reason could be that the music is really bad, and as such not worth commenting on.

I thought, however, that the reason also could also be that the music files were rather large waw-files. Therefore I have converted them to much smaller mp3-files and still hoping for some comments.

Here are new links.

"A Elbereth"
https://app.box.com/s/oj1hkltrv399xr54wnw6

"Galadriel's song"

https://app.box.com/s/2lmkocx6jpfj2cvc8lje

#2176539 - 11/03/13 04:13 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Well don't be discouraged when you don't get any responses straight away, Gandalf. I'm one who will be very interested to hear your songs, and the mp3 format will probably make it much easier for me with my dodgy internet connection.

#2176542 - 11/03/13 04:21 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Maybe I should also mention that I have never seen the "Lord of the Rings" movies, but just read the book. Thus I'm not influenced by any of the music written for the movies.

Good, but you should see the movies; they're excellent. I don't watch a lot of movies, but LOTR is my favorite. You can't call yourself Gandalf until you've seen them. grin And this is as good a time as any for a question I've been wanting to ask for a while: why do you spell it with 2 d's?

Would you mind providing a score?

Polyphonist

#2176825 - 11/04/13 08:23 AM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

Good, but you should see the movies; they're excellent. I don't watch a lot of movies, but LOTR is my favorite. You can't call yourself Gandalf until you've seen them. grin And this is as good a time as any for a question I've been wanting to ask for a while: why do you spell it with 2 d's?

Would you mind providing a score?

I chose my nickname because I'm an oldie, but unfortunately lacking all magic skills. The reason why I have avoided the movies is that just reading the books has given me so many nice pictures in my mind, and I'm afraid of destroying them.

The spelling with the double "d" makes some sense for a Norwegian, and if you use the correct spelling of a very popular name as a nickname, there is almost certainly someone else who already has taken it.....

I have handwritten scores of these songs, but I should clean them a bit. When working with singers, you almost certainly has to do changes, and my present notes are probably unreadable for anybody except me. I consider getting some software for score-writing, but I'm uncertain about what to choose. It should be easy to use, very efficient and very cheap....

#2176833 - 11/04/13 08:43 AM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
7000 Post Club Member

Sibelius fits both the first two. It won't exactly fit the third one, but neither will Finale or any professional software.

Polyphonist

#2176874 - 11/04/13 10:44 AM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, what a nice surprise on a Monday morning, Ganddalf! You have a wonderful lyrical sensibility, and they are to boot beautifully rendered. Just a wonderful sense of structure and line, particularly "A Elbereth". My only suggestion in "Galadriel's Song" is to remove the doubling of the melodic line with the singer at several junctures -- while this sometimes is justified to get a textural enhancement, here I heard it more as "trying to help the singer", which is never appropriate (although sometimes necessary!). But, musically, you have a style that I quite specially like -- a combination of power and melting lyricism. Just gorgeous, and thanks for sharing this!

#2177311 - 11/05/13 02:44 AM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
My only suggestion in "Galadriel's Song" is to remove the doubling of the melodic line with the singer at several junctures -- while this sometimes is justified to get a textural enhancement, here I heard it more as "trying to help the singer", which is never appropriate (although sometimes necessary!).

In fact there was much less doubling in my original version, but as you suspect there was some need for helping the singers in this case. I'll definitely follow your advice and remove the doubling next time we perform the songs.

#2177600 - 11/05/13 02:56 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Box.net says the files have been removed, sorry I missed it.

#2177609 - 11/05/13 03:18 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
7000 Post Club Member

That's happened with every single link I've seen posted on Box. Does it automatically take down files after a few days or something?

Polyphonist

#2177687 - 11/05/13 06:18 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Polyphonist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Try the links in the second post of the thread! They are active.

#2186587 - 11/21/13 09:44 PM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: Ganddalf]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow Ganddalf, those are both very good... A Elbereth really hit the spot for me, just gorgeous. You have some beautiful voices there, and they were recorded in a wonderful acoustic environment as well.

For writing out scores, have you tried out MuseScore? It's open access, i.e. free, and is quite flexible. The learning curve can be a major pain, but that is just as true of the other "professional" software packages. (full disclosure, I've used Finale but not Sibelius, so any assertions I make on the latter are based on hearsay).

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2186692 - 11/22/13 03:11 AM Re: Two songs (vocal + piano) [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Wow Ganddalf, those are both very good... A Elbereth really hit the spot for me, just gorgeous. You have some beautiful voices there, and they were recorded in a wonderful acoustic environment as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you liked the songs. Actually we are a bit dissatisfied with the recording, and we plan to make a new one when the mezzo-soprano returns from a 6 month stay in France.

The lyrics of "A Elbereth" follow very stringent lyrical feet, and as such it is much easier to write a catchy melody for than "Galadriel's song" which completely lacks lyrical feet. Therefore most people consider "A Elbereth" to be the best of the two. Personally, however, I value "Galadriel's song" more. Some of the harmonies are a bit elusive perhaps, but I hope that they will become clearer next time we record.

Anyhow, we are all amateurs and do this just for fun.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, 31 invisible), 1547 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293024 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
07/24/14 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
07/24/14 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
07/24/14 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
07/24/14 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
07/24/14 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission