Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 187 of 201 < 1 2 ... 185 186 187 188 189 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
#2162265 - 10/05/13 07:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Troubledclef, you will get many more answers if you ask this question as a separate thread. However my take on this problem is always to work on problem areas of a piece first. There may be more than one causing concern so I would split the piece up and just work on those for a while before learning the whole piece and playing through. I am nearing the first year of learning so pieces I take on can have as many as four problem areas. I work each of them in isolation before attempting to put them together.

There are of course pieces where the problem is just an overall one. O Sole Mio says that it is a new style of bass so if that is your problem then practice very slowly (rushing only ingrains mistakes) with hands separate and then hands together. This can take days or even weeks before eventually it feels more natural.

A classic mistake is to play from the beginning to your problem area and then almost come to a halt or start making mistakes and then start from the beginning again and repeat until frustration sets in. All you are doing here is practicing what you know already and not working on the problem.

Have a look at this link and see if it also benefits you

http://fundamentalkeys.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2164011 - 10/09/13 04:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hello, everybody. I'd like to announce that I have finished book 1 and have now moved on to Alfred's 2. It took me 2½ years to finish book 1 which seems to be longer than most people, but I have finished it, and I am proud.

The good news is that the first couple of songs in book 2 are a lot easier than these bonus pieces at the end of book 1. In fact, I am told that if you can do the bonus pieces in book 1, then you can handle anything in book 2 smile So those bonus pieces lay a good foundation for future learning.

To summarize:
I had no teacher.
It took me 16 months to get through the original ending of book 1 - (Amazing Grace).
It took me another 14 months to do the 5 bonus songs at the end.
I practiced on average about 5 times a week, 2-3 times a day for short periods 5-15 minutes.
It would have benefited more by practicing for longer periods in one sitting, which is what I started to do lately.

So, I want to wish good luck to everybody here, and I hope to see you in the Alfred's 2 thread in the future.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2164017 - 10/09/13 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations, Johnny! It took me two years also, and I didn't have those extra bonus pieces to deal with. I'm still not done with Book 2 after another 2 years. I'm slow but I'm determined. Good luck with your new book.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2164022 - 10/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Johnny D Offline

Thank you, mom3gram. Hopefully, both of us will be finishing book 3 in the future.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2164030 - 10/09/13 05:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Congrats, Johnny D, it is an accomplishment. I hope to join the graduate ranks someday. Right now pedaling still has me cringing...

#2164062 - 10/09/13 06:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Johnny D Offline

Thanks, ajames, and I'm with you about pedalling. It's like once you learn the song, you have to learn it again, except this time with the pedalling.

Actually, I'm still polishing up Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas while I attack the new book. The pedalling on that song is a real pain, but I have to admit that it sounds really good on the last line.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2164397 - 10/10/13 11:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: angelsong]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: angelsong
I wrote a little while back about not being able to 'hear' the tune when I played 'Good People'. After getting some advice I gave up trying and and focused just on playing the correct keys. Yesterday I decided to revise by going back to the beginning of the introduction to Major keys - especially as I'd discovered that I hadn't understood that sharps and flats referred to each occurrence of that note in each octave. However, I reached 'Good People' again last night and had 'forgotten' that this was the one where I couldn't 'hear' the tune coming through - and as soon as I started playing it, I immediately could hear the tune/melody/whatever, even though it's still slow and a bit laborious, I can now hear it 'emerging'. Result!

These jazz songs tend to only sound proper if you play with the jazz rhythm. That is, you are playing the long-short-long-short eighth notes, instead of strictly following the notation. This is even recommended at the bottom of the page (somewhere on one of the jazz pieces).

#2164412 - 10/10/13 11:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
angelsong Offline

Loc: NW England
Congratulations Johnny and well done!! That's good to hear and you really should be proud of yourself. May be a while before I see you in Alfred's 2 thread - but I do intend to be there!!

#2164415 - 10/10/13 11:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Daniel Corban]
angelsong Offline

Thanks Daniel for yr comments and yes that makes sense. I somehow doubt whether I'll ever quite master that jazz rhythm, but feel that if I can 'hear' the tune I'm trying to play then, for the time being, that feels like progress.

#2164547 - 10/10/13 05:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
angelsong Offline

Today I had a piano lesson. Initially when I started (in March this year) I was sure I didn't want to have lessons - felt that wd put me under pressure and I don't want that - just want some help to learn to play the piano at my own pace for my own enjoyment. There's a Music School in a town nearby which has a coffee shop and I've gone there a couple of times recently and without any prior planning, I asked about piano lessons and one was arranged for today. The lady who teaches was very understanding - seemed happy to 'meet me where I am'. She suggested some books on scales etc - commented on posture and hand placement etc. I played 'Little Brown Jug' (very badly - it's a traditional piano and the keys felt so much heavier than my Yamaha) and she made some helpful comments, but also commented that I was doing 'nothing wrong'. She knew the Alfred course and made 'approving' comments about it. It was a half hour lesson - was enough for me. I feel comfortable with the teacher - feel that she understands what I want to achieve and seems happy to help me in that. I didn't feel pressured in any way - have left it that I'll make another appointment when I feel ready - not keen to have regular lessons at the moment - just want to get some reassurance as well as some guidance.

#2164709 - 10/11/13 04:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: angelsong]
Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
That sounds like a really good idea, angelsong. I don't like the idea of being pressured, either, but a lesson now and then would be a great help.

#2164749 - 10/11/13 07:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Moonraker]
angelsong Offline

Thanks Moonraker - can't quite believe just how this teacher, and the whole setup at the music school seems to fit my requirements so well. It's almost on my doorstep and yet I didn't think it would be 'for me' - sort of assumed it was for 'proper musicians'!!

#2165070 - 10/11/13 11:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Congrats, angelsong....
Hope your teacher helps you learn alot.

#2165210 - 10/12/13 09:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: rnaple]
angelsong Offline

Thanks rnaple - feel very hopeful about it - also grateful that this teacher seems just right for me for the time being anyway.

#2165253 - 10/12/13 12:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
angelsong Offline

The most helpful part of my lesson on Thursday was when my teacher commented on the 'wrong' placement of my fingers when playing Little Brown Jug (F Major) - didn't get past the first line where there are harmonic (?) intervals. I was unable to play the interval 'b flat' and 'd' or 'e' with fingers 1/3 and 1/4, as show, so I improvised using 2 and 4-5. She showed me how to slide my fingers up the white key past the beginning of the black key, enabling me to play those intervals with ease. I have seen this explained in a video online some time ago, but had forgotten. This has helped me tremendously - makes sense to use the whole key and not just a couple of inches at the bottom.

#2168113 - 10/18/13 12:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
yaoyao2m Offline

I am so glad to read about everyone's success with this book. I have just begun my piano lessons last week, using Alfred's basic adult lesson book. I am at the very very beginning: still trying to strengthen my fingers, to work on my hand positions, and to read notes. They are hard, but all your success stories have motivated me to try even harder. Thank you for sharing them.

PS, what is the different between the basic version and all in one lesson?

#2168213 - 10/18/13 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: yaoyao2m]
angelsong Offline

Welcome yaoyao2m. I started in March this year with Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course which I think is excellent, so I'm not sure about other versions, but if you're having lessons your teacher should be a good guide to how you're progressing. Best of luck.

#2168239 - 10/18/13 06:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Welcome yaoyao2m! The all-in-one includes theory and technique (and a few more pieces, particularly a few blues and jazz) while the basic does not. With the basic book you can get separate theory and technique (and blues and jazz) books. That is my understanding anyway, I have the all-in-one.

#2170090 - 10/22/13 02:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
yaoyao2m Offline

Thanks. I think I will focus on the basic one for now. Having my third lesson today :-).

#2171689 - 10/25/13 07:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
Troubledclef Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks for the post. I found the article helpful, I am going to give it a try. It is hard to stay motivated when I don't see much improvement.

#2173843 - 10/29/13 04:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Still crunching along, hope everybody else is making progress as well.

Started weekly lessons (I've had 3 so far), pretty amazed at how badly I play in front of the teacher. I've just been focused on learning the pieces, not on performance. Doing some recordings helps some (red dot fever!) but playing in front of a person is much worse.

Just started in on "The Entertainer" so I'm getting close to the end. My instructor wants me to try memorizing "Scarborough Fair", he says that is a worthy endeavor and should help with the performing thing.

I bought a Zoom h4n audio recorder. My DP doesn't have a dedicated line out (that's one way Casio crippled the PX-150 vis-a-vis the PX-350) and I haven't been able to get satisfactory recordings using the headphone out. The Zoom will also work later when I get an acoustic (someday). grin

Edited by ajames (10/30/13 11:02 AM)

#2176744 - 11/04/13 02:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Talk about a great day! After performing The Entertainer & Amazing Grace my teacher, she said I'm now ready to move on to Alfred's Adult Level 2 smile
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2176746 - 11/04/13 02:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Congratulations Alux.

#2176756 - 11/04/13 03:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

well done Alux a great achievement

#2176789 - 11/04/13 06:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Alux]
Johnny D Offline

Great job, Alux!
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2176822 - 11/04/13 08:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Congrats, Alux!
I'm up to the Entertainer. I haven't started Amazing Grace yet, but I hope to this week. So the end is near for me as well.

I've also been working on some of the bonus pieces at the end (Over the Rainbow, Have yourself a Merry Christmas). The bonus songs are really tough! Not sure how many I will do before starting book 2.

#2177492 - 11/05/13 11:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Wolf616 Offline

Hi all, I began to teach myself the piano using Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course book 1 a couple of weeks ago and have so far managed to get to page 54 (now my brain and hands are fighting against my progress and won't allow me to get to grips with Blow The Man Down).

I was just wondering whether, when I eventually manage to finish the book (which is probably a very long way off) is it worth switching to the All-In-One course? Does the second book follow on exactly from the Basic first one, albeit with the theory and other stuff thrown in? Or does it make more sense just to continue with the basic series?

#2177592 - 11/05/13 02:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Wolf616 and welcome to the forum
The Alfred basic edition does not include any theory as I understand it and therefore you are missing out a great deal of important information. If you are self teaching I would address that issue.

As to the books themselves most people make rapid advances and then reach a speed bump. Blow the Man Down is a common piece to trip up the beginner. You simply need time for the fingers and brain to adapt, so get into the habit of only practicing a piece for a 20 minute session once per day playing it very very slow. Each day you will find a small improvement to built upon. The increasing difficulty means pieces take longer to learn and master so this is something you have to accept and work through.

Of course you can proceed and learn no theory but you may regret that at a later date so my advice would be to switch to the "all in one" books and make up for any lost theory. There are a few youtube teachers (some free) that would be fine. I happen to like this one here

#2177750 - 11/05/13 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

You could get the Alfred's level 1 theory book (meant to be used in conjunction with your Alfred basic level 1 book):
http://www.wwbw.com/Alfred-Alfred-s-Basi...did^29644285461

Edited by ajames (11/05/13 09:37 PM)

#2177873 - 11/06/13 07:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
Wolf616 Offline

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will switch to the all-in-one course after this one.

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Hi Wolf616 and welcome to the forumAs to the books themselves most people make rapid advances and then reach a speed bump. Blow the Man Down is a common piece to trip up the beginner. You simply need time for the fingers and brain to adapt, so get into the habit of only practicing a piece for a 20 minute session once per day playing it very very slow. Each day you will find a small improvement to built upon. The increasing difficulty means pieces take longer to learn and master so this is something you have to accept and work through.

Yep this is what I have been trying to do. Blow the Man Down remains a struggle, but I have managed to make a lot of progress on a song with similar characteristics in the All Time Favourites book (Ach Du Lieber Augustine). Hopefully once I've mastered that one the other will come much easier.

I have been learning some theory but by reading other books rather than any Alfred ones - so I haven't skipped it completely! I will get the accompanying Alfred theory book though (thanks ajames) until I move onto the all-in-one book 2 as these Alfred ones seem to be really good! I might even get a teacher...

Page 187 of 201 < 1 2 ... 185 186 187 188 189 ... 200 201 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (anotherscott, AlanSanDiego, Aviram, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1340 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission