Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2177049 - 11/04/13 04:39 PM Erratic finger movements are making me very angry!
pianolover85 Offline

Hello everyone and thanks everyone for taking the time!

Adult Beginner here! Maybe it is because of having large fingers, but whenever I play a song, a 5 finger song, my fingers that are not pushing a key move up and down, especially my index finger...which moves up all the time...
For example this sequence in quarter notes: 354343 ... and index finger is all up...

Are there any exercises I can do to help me with this...my teacher says this is bad technique and I do not do it intentionally.

Would finger independence exercises be useful?
Any books in this regard?

Best wishes,

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2177056 - 11/04/13 04:59 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
coxanator Offline

you just have to keep working it, until you control what your fingers do

#2177060 - 11/04/13 05:07 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
I'm no teacher, but that sure sounds like tension as the source.

I would suggest, even as a exercise, to just try to play the notes of your 354343 sequence extremely slowly...I'm talking about one note, count to five, second note.....or you could do it with a simple scale. Try to make sure your hand and fingers are totally relaxed between notes. You should be able to do it with all 5 fingertips resting comfortable on the tops of the keys at almost all times. If you do this for five minutes a day I will bet by the end of a week you will see a big difference. But you have to do it so slowly that it seems ridiculous to most people, and you have to pay attention to how it feels when it is relaxed versus how it feels when there is tension.

Edited by JimF (11/04/13 05:08 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2177061 - 11/04/13 05:08 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
Troy 125 Online   content

I used to have similar problems when I would get too tense and try too hard. Not sure if you do the same, but being able to get the tension out of your body and not overprocess what you are doing can help many things.

#2177072 - 11/04/13 05:15 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
DinaP Offline

Piano Games from Terence Rust.

Do them very slowly, hands separate -- watch your hand at first then try not to and see if you can feel when something goes wrong. Add new exercises gradually.

My teacher helps me with these -- get yours involved.

It's because you are an adult beginner and you are making demands on your hands and fingers that nothing else you have ever done could prepare them for.

Sometimes it's helpful, if you have one hand that behaves better than the other(with me it's my right hand), to compare the two hands and try to identify what the difference is in movement, position, etc.

#2177074 - 11/04/13 05:19 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
DinaP Offline

Oh, and don't get angry -- relax, accept it's something you have to work through. Feel very satisfied as you progress however small each step and however long it takes between steps.

It's the Journey --

#2177081 - 11/04/13 05:32 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
first observation - we can't see what's going on, so any advice is suspect. Your teacher is the best guide, period!

that being said... you need to be careful here. DO NOT FORCE THE OFFENDING FINGERS DOWN.

the correct approach is to learn how to inhibit the impulse to the fingers not being used (you said index finger) and not use your muscles to force it to stay stationary.

I know how I do it. I have no idea about how YOU should go about it.

also, it's very easy to injure yourself if you become fixated on moving the 345343 and repeating them too many times.

Be easy on yourself!

Forrest

--------------------
current studies:
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Beethoven Op. 78
Bach WTC 1, C# Major (#3)

#2177102 - 11/04/13 06:14 PM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I have had problems with fingers not doing as they are told as well. Many have said repertoire alone will fix it but in consultation with my teacher I did some technical exercises and have seen good improvement. Main problem for us beginners is the 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers are not used to working independently of each other and feel weak compared to the 1st and 2nd. There is a good mechanical reason for this as the 4th and 5th fingers share the same tendon.

Some exercises I found helpful was slow gentle trills with all combination of fingers (especially between 3rd & 4th, 3rd & 5th & 4th & 5th. A few minutes a day is all that is required and you will notice a difference within a day to a week.

Another one I like is a common exercise: hold and play a third using fingers 1 & 3, then play adjacent notes with 2 & 4, adjacent notes again with 3 & 5. Play slowly and in a legato style.

This clip from a complete beginner was the only one I could find to describe another common exercise which shows the beginner just how uncontrollable our fingers are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OLjKwt6Mz0

This one is purely for showing what great finger independence looks like (skip to 11:45 to be blown away) here

Lastly, technical exercises are a hot topic, and many advise against them citing there is little benefit. There is of course danger of injury if done incorrectly or too often. Ultimately you have to make a choice whether they are right for you and best to be discussed with your teacher.

Edited by earlofmar (11/04/13 06:20 PM)

#2178308 - 11/07/13 04:50 AM Re: Erratic finger movements are making me very angry! [Re: pianolover85]
pianolover85 Offline

Thank you friends smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (36251, accordeur, aesop, A Guy, 35 invisible), 1587 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156268 Topics
2294976 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions on Roland F130R
by Laerai
07/29/14 08:00 PM
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
07/29/14 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission