Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2177168 - 11/04/13 09:19 PM Evenness of touch
RaindropPrelude Offline

I don't know what the exact term is, but I am referring to say each note in a scale played with the exact same intensity and touch...I struggle with this. It seems that my 1st and 3rd fingers always hit a note stronger than say the weaker 4th and 5th fingers. When I really concentrate, hands separate and glaring down at my fingers with the tempo significantly slower, I can get a smoother and more equal passage down...but it goes out the window as soon as I increase the tempo. What are some good approaches towards tackling this issue?

Thank you!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2177195 - 11/04/13 09:48 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
If you can play it the way you want to slowly, than you should practice it slowly until it is completely perfect. Then set your metronome a notch faster and do it again. Then faster, etc.

Some other ideas:
Make sure you hand is completely relaxed. Tension will cause unevenness.

Don't reach for notes with 4 and 5. This will give you a thinner sound. Try moving your hand so the weight of your hand is over 4 and 5; you'll get a better sound.

Watch your hands to see if the movement is uniform and smooth. Is every finger staying close to the keys or are some flying up and wasting time?

When your right hand is moving up the piano, move your elbow out to the right a little so your arm is not 90 degrees to the keyboard but is closer to 45 degrees. This will distribute the weight over your fingers better. Do the opposite for the left hand.

Analyze your movements to find out exactly where the unevenness is. Break the phrase apart and isolate the troublesome notes. Play them many different ways - varying wrist angle, weight, arm angle, etc., to see if you can work out the problem. Try different fingerings. Play the problem areas in varying rhythms. Play them with the downbeat in another place.

Deborah

#2177200 - 11/04/13 09:55 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Uneven tone production is typically a product of poor neuromuscular control. This is very quickly addressed with any given passage by providing your central nervous system (CNS) with very exaggerated (but not tense) movements to produce each tone. The exaggerated movements provide a very high level of stimulation to your CNS and the desired results come very, very quickly. There really is not much need for over-analyzing your hands/arms here.

Play each tone forte, and very deliberately, as fast as you can play the passage, but as slow as you need to. Doing this will build the required neuromuscular control very quickly and allow you to have "even tone" even when playing much softer.

Edited by Atrys (11/04/13 09:56 PM)
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2177270 - 11/04/13 11:37 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is always a matter of what your standards are. If you listen carefully enough, you can find imperfections in anything. I recall that Chopin believed that we could never be absolutely even if we wanted to, so the goal should be to have as much control as we can manage. So work on that, and you will become better and better.

#2177273 - 11/04/13 11:40 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
Alan Lai Offline

Loc: USA/Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: RaindropPrelude
I don't know what the exact term is, but I am referring to say each note in a scale played with the exact same intensity and touch...I struggle with this. It seems that my 1st and 3rd fingers always hit a note stronger than say the weaker 4th and 5th fingers. When I really concentrate, hands separate and glaring down at my fingers with the tempo significantly slower, I can get a smoother and more equal passage down...but it goes out the window as soon as I increase the tempo. What are some good approaches towards tackling this issue?

Thank you!

Consciously forcing your 3rd finger and 1st finger to play much softer when you play slowly.

This is a habit issue and takes greater effort and time to correct.

#2177289 - 11/05/13 01:01 AM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
All the suggestion from Gooddog, above, are very good.

I would like to add, avoid "glaring" if possible.

#2177570 - 11/05/13 01:58 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: Ferdinand]
RaindropPrelude Offline

I try not to glare - it's a struggle!

Thank you for the suggestions. Will try it out tonight smile

#2177576 - 11/05/13 02:18 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
Sweet06 Offline

Glaring?

#2177716 - 11/05/13 07:14 PM Re: Evenness of touch [Re: RaindropPrelude]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: RaindropPrelude

Thank you!

Unevenness is caused by isolating the fingers from the hand, by lifting them away from the hand. In order to control the weight evenly, the fingers, hand and forearm work as a unit in a coordinate manner, dropping into the key, not pulling away from it. There is a shape to the lateral movements that propel us up and down the keyboard.

Simply put, this shape allows the forearm to be behind the finger that is playing. Try this as an introduction to shaping: In a five-finger pattern, allow your forearm to rise slightly behind each finger as it plays, the highest being at the point where the longest finger plays (3). Then, allow the arm to drop slightly behind the shorter fingers (4 and 5). The fingers are not independent agents, but they can be made to sound that way by allowing this coordination. (There is much more to consider, of course, particularly as the thumb crosses.)

Any solutions you come up with must feel easy. Otherwise, they are not the answer.

Edited by NeilOS (11/05/13 08:07 PM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
Today at 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
Today at 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
Today at 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Who's Online
149 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1886 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326101 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission