Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2177411 - 11/05/13 08:57 AM Christmas Accompaniment and solo
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Goodness...November already!! My teacher hosts an annual Christmas piano party and we share music. The last couple of years I've accompanied my husband on a song as well. It really pushes me to keep playing and listen to him as well as the notes.

This year he wants to do "I'll be home for Christmas" and the version I have is ok but kind of bland accompaniment. Does anyone have suggestions on an intermediate (NOT late intermediate) version of this piece that lends itself to tenor voice?

For my solo piece I'm doing David Lanz "What Child is This" ...much to my teacher's dismay since new age anything sounds wrong to her ears. She's humoring me on this one with only some grumbling. What are you working on for the holiday season??

Love to learn

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2177413 - 11/05/13 09:00 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
How could David Lanz possibly sound wrong to her ears?? I'll be playing that for Christmas too laugh Just started looking at the book in yesterday's lesson. I'm probably going to stick with the easy arrangements, just to get more done in limited time.

#2177467 - 11/05/13 10:45 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Christmas music?? Did someone say Christmas music?? I LOVE Christmas music. smile Pardon me for shouting! wink

I always have a few pieces I play every year, and when it gets close to Christmas, I try to go over a few pieces written for piano and voice so we can do some singing. But there are always a few pieces I work on early as well so I have a large-ish collection of things to play. Here are the pieces I've added new for this year and am currently practicing:

1) Carol of the Bells (Michele McLaughlin arrangement, highly recommended)

2) Joy, George Winston's arrangement/adaptation of Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (this piece is deceptively difficult!)

Near the end of this month, I'll start practicing these as well (these are all pieces I have played before):

3) Angels We Have Heard on High (David Nevue arrangement)

4) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (David Nevue arrangement)

5) Joy to the World (Nevue arrangement, I'm beginning to sense a pattern here)

There may be some others that I have easy arrangements of that I tack on last minute.

I actually have David Lanz's Christmas score book, but I haven't played anything from it. Any suggestions of arrangements of his that you particularly recommend?

If I can get through Winston's Joy this year, next year I think I'll take on his arrangement of the Holly and the Ivy, which is a fantastic piece.

Yay, Christmas music!!

#2177608 - 11/05/13 03:15 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
If I'm not mistaken, Mr S/H usually start Christmas music thread every year. I cannot remember when he usually does. But wait a few. It will come up.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2177611 - 11/05/13 03:21 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No reason to wait if people want to talk about what they are working on right now. smile There is always room for another thread about piano music here : D

#2177665 - 11/05/13 04:58 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I love Christmas music on the piano as well...

I'm working on a couple of bluesy/boogie Christmas tunes, and they really get me in the Christmas mood! One is what I call Jazzy Jingle Bells and the other is boogie-woogie Santa Clause is coming to town. I like em' both.

I've been invited to play the piano at our annual Christmas dinner at my place of work again this year... I didn't think I could play all that well, but they keep inviting me back; this is the 5th year in a row, I think. smile

Rick

#2177708 - 11/05/13 07:02 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: ShiroKuro]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
ShiroKuro-
I so love your joy and enthusiasm about Christmas Music! I feel the same! I am already sight reading through "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "A Jazz Inspired Christmas". I am looking for the George Winston "December" piano transcription in total.

Thank you for sharing.

"Yay Christmas Music!"

#2177734 - 11/05/13 07:53 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
WiseBuff - I don't know of other arrangements, but could you add a couple of frills to the one you have? I often hear little fill-ins on the long notes (Christma..a..s/tinkle tinkle tinkle) in my head and can find some version of them on the piano (altho often not the exact one in my head. I think I must hear micro intervals in my head or something.) Or maybe add full chords in the left hand, or a little short run from one chord to the next? Sometimes it doesn't take a lot behind a singer - just enough to add a little interest and to let the audience know there's a piano player smile

I'm not the Christmas music aficionado here, tho, so maybe someone will have a better idea.

Cathy

#2177752 - 11/05/13 09:36 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
This year he wants to do "I'll be home for Christmas" and the version I have is ok but kind of bland accompaniment. Does anyone have suggestions on an intermediate (NOT late intermediate) version of this piece that lends itself to tenor voice?

WiseBuff,
This is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs.

Michael Bublé Christmas book has a pretty decent arrangement, not too difficult. It's Piano/Vocal scores too.
ISBN 978-1-4584-1918-7.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2177754 - 11/05/13 09:40 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
See?!? I *knew* someone would have a better idea!

smile

Cathy

#2177810 - 11/06/13 01:34 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
This thread got me going for Christmas music stash. I was playing Christmas music for an hour before I realized what I was doing. I love Christmas.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2177882 - 11/06/13 08:00 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
As mentioned earlier, here is my version of "Jazzy jingle bells". I didn't realize it had been 4 years since I recorded this video... time does fly when you are having fun. smile

"Jazzy Jinglebells"

Rick

#2177889 - 11/06/13 08:15 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: Rickster]
rchdebwhlr Offline

I'm looking for an intermediate arrangement for O Holy Night. Anything close to Martina mcbride version.

Deb

#2177897 - 11/06/13 08:36 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Nice work Rick!

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2178351 - 11/07/13 07:35 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

laugh Perhaps my teacher would like Lanz better if I played it up to speed...I'm working on it. ShiroKiro, my favorite is the First Noel/Christmas Waltz. This year though it's What child is this which has some other melody in there as well that I recognize as a U.S. Revolutionary war song, Johnny has gone for a soldier. I want to be able to play the "noodling" left hand softly and smoothly as background.

I have Alfred's Christmas sing along but the left hand as written is supposed to be simple but ends up feeling awkward to me. Jotur I need your improv skills. It gives me the Chord symbols but I don't think in chords (although my music theory teacher is pushing for it).

Rickster...love the jazzy jingle bells
Ragdoll I'll look at your suggestion...thanks

Edited by WiseBuff (11/07/13 07:39 AM)

Love to learn

#2178360 - 11/07/13 08:00 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: Rickster]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Really nice, Rick! And great voice too, I have been checking out some of your videos.

I'll better start learning my carols!!!
(As we say in Spain... "que te pilla el toro", or "the bull is going to catch you"... or in other words "hurry up!")

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2178396 - 11/07/13 09:40 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
WiseBuff, I love those songs. First Noel/Christmas Waltz is really pretty. Currently working on Angels We Have Heard On High, but I hope to finish it this week and get to the next one soon! This Christmas music is really motivating; I'll be doubling my piano hours, at the very least.

Now to find an arrangement for three hands that I can play together with my sister...

#2178527 - 11/07/13 02:52 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wisebuff, I'll have to check that out, I love Christmas songs that have another melody embedded into them.

#2178558 - 11/07/13 04:15 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro
Wisebuff, I'll have to check that out, I love Christmas songs that have another melody embedded into them.

It's not traditional, but here's one of the better ones I've run into in the last few years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkcvCMi3lIA

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2178914 - 11/08/13 08:23 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rickster, finally had a chance to listen to that, what fun! Do I hear a bit of Little Richard "The Girl Can't Help It" in there.

One thing about this, and other Christmas songs like Sleigh Ride, is the tempo is a make or break deal. I'm working on George Winston's Joy, and the music on the page couldn't be any "simpler" but it's so fast, and it's syncopated (or should be!) and I can't quite get it into my fingers. I'll find a video clip later and share it.

#2178920 - 11/08/13 08:31 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ok, it's later now. smile

Joy by George Winston

Myra Hess playing Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, on which Winston's Joy is loosely based.

#2179524 - 11/09/13 10:17 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
warlock214 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I'm currently working on several Christmas songs too! I'll list and make recordings soon! I'm in the Level One stage but they sound pretty good.

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

#2180740 - 11/11/13 07:10 PM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I just got my first Christmas book in and sat down to play for five minutes to try it out. I was still there an hour later! I think Christmas music has addictive properties.

#2180903 - 11/12/13 07:15 AM Re: Christmas Accompaniment and solo [Re: WiseBuff]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

One of my fellow theory students uses a software program called Sibelius to do her composition projects. I'm thinking of trying to develop my own accompaniment. OK...the laughs can start now...I've never done it but we're learning the principles in class so it might work on a two page song.

Love to learn

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Von fremden Lndern und Menschen tempo
by hreichgott
10/31/14 10:43 PM
Another Kawai ES7 warning
by bjorn of brekkukot
10/31/14 08:41 PM
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
10/31/14 08:21 PM
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
10/31/14 07:36 PM
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
10/31/14 06:30 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (ando, AZNpiano, AndreiN, Anticlock, 18 invisible), 1598 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76724 Members
42 Forums
158659 Topics
2330064 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission