Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2177931 - 11/06/13 10:18 AM Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
My boss just asked me if I want to play piano at the company Christmas party next month. I said I would be happy to play, sounds like a lot of fun. Then he told me I can rent a "small piano" if I wanted to. I was actually surprised at the offer. The party will be somewhat intimate, about 100 people and held in our conference room. The room is a good size at 40'x40' with average ceilings height around 8ft. With a that said, here are my thoughts about it. Please let me know what you think.

Acoustic Pros:
- most likely will be an upright (I'll see what the have for petite, baby, or medium grand)
- looks nice for a holiday party ( put a few decorations on it)
- sound will fill room no problem
Acoustic Cons:
- might not sound so great regardless of tuning. It is a rental afterall
- will need it ahead of party date to practice on it a little and get the feel for it.

Digital Pros:
- Im used to it. Can jump right in
- can make it sound great
- can use built in accompaniment for more fun if the party gets a little silly later. Usually does.
Digital Cons:
- Set up not as nice looking compared to an acoustic for a holiday party
- wires
- I have to set up and break down. Hey, it's my party too!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2177932 - 11/06/13 10:24 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
The strength of my preference for a good digital would be inversely proportional to my expectations for the sobriety of the least inhibited partygoers.

Have you considered Jamaican steel drums instead?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2178007 - 11/06/13 01:37 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
emenelton Offline

Baby Grand including tuning cannot be beat.

#2178040 - 11/06/13 02:32 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Digital Con - If beer is spilt in it, you need a hairdrier to dry it out so it will play again. No such concern with an acoustic. And most likely, the acoustic will have fag-burns on it.
Expect a few more, the hirers probably will!

Go for the acoustic. Won`t matter too much if it`s outa tune. It`s a party not a concert; just don`t be around when it`s delivered. They`re heavy and stairs may be involved.
Have fun!!

""

#2178057 - 11/06/13 03:09 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Depends on how small the "small" piano is. Spinnets are invariably terrible but a 'small' studio sized upright would work well.

I would lean towards using the acoustic. You can control the sound by playing louder or softer without worrying about setting up sound and speakers etc. As much as we love our digitals they can't replace the sound you get from real wood, steel and felt.

Its been my experience that you can't rent grand pianos unless you're willing to spend a whole lot of money.

#2178141 - 11/06/13 06:48 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
A medium-sized upright can be pretty loud. I visited a newly open 'up scale' food store the other day that had a Yamaha upright (player piano) placed on a second floor area, and being used for background music. It actually worked surprisingly well, and gave the store quite a nice atmosphere.

Actually, that's a good point - will you be playing cocktail-style background music (in which case loud volume is not essential), or will you have a 30 minute period (maybe more) as a solo pianist, with everyone watching and listening?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2178167 - 11/06/13 08:28 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the responses. I have never done a solo "holiday party" before. I must admit that I'm not sure what to expect; as mentioned by KJ, I can expect part solo pianist and part background pianist. Yes, Im a little nervous that I am performing for co-workers for the first time and will be the center of attention per boss's request. I think thats why I was leaning towards my ES7 as my security blanket. We've been through a lot together with no issue. But then again, Im not a great pianist, but definitely good enough to crank out 1/2 dozen+ Christmas tunes as well as a few popular request on any given acoustic piano. Hence this humble post or course wink

#2178213 - 11/06/13 09:43 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
8000 Post Club Member

To be honest, I think you'll have fun using either your ES7 or an acoustic. Not only that, but it's the holidays - everyone at the party will be enjoying themselves, and enjoying listening to the music...I doubt there will be too many folks worrying about whether you're playing a digital or an acoustic - a piano is a piano. wink

Best of luck!

James
x

#2178227 - 11/06/13 10:42 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Play your digital and claim the budget for renting an acoustic - double the fun grin grin

#2178326 - 11/07/13 06:03 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Kawai James]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
everyone at the party will be enjoying themselves, and enjoying listening to the music...I doubt there will be too many folks worrying about whether you're playing a digital or an acoustic - a piano is a piano. wink
x

That is true. I have to remember my audience is there to enjoy listening to music and not there to critique a piano performance.

I am going to bring my ES7 into the office this weekend just to get a feel for the room, sound and setup. I can decide from there whether or not I will rent an AP.

Edited by Marko in Boston (11/07/13 06:05 AM)

#2178511 - 11/07/13 02:10 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
if they are drinking you got nothing to worry about. you will sound better every time the wait staff passes through the room.

i played an upright Vogel (i believe this is a polish made piano and the company now owned by Schimmel..?) a few nights back for a couple hundred at a dinner at my church. They get me to do this occasionally because the price is right (free). At first i was dying for my P250 because the vogel'a action seemed too fast and it's rapid decay seemed worse than a digital. But as i got used to it i had a lot of fun, mainly because i adapted my playing style to its strengths- brightness and playing speed. i just say that because you can pretty much adjust to anything if you can get 15-20 minutes to acclimate yourself to the acoustic's peculiarities. So start playing early as people congregate and are playing grab*ss with each other and schmoozing the boss for year end bonus points. This will give you time to loosen up.

hopefully it will be in tune - that is your risk with a rental. but most rental companies know you won't be back if they set up a piece of junk. so it most likely would be serviceable.

however, i agree using your digital gives you a whole lot more control over your environment. i would have pushed harder to use my p250 if it weren't for the fact it weighs about 80 lbs.

good luck. just remember to wear a red stocking cap and you will be the life of the party

Edited by bfb (11/07/13 02:12 PM)

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2178567 - 11/07/13 04:46 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: bfb]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb
So start playing early as people congregate and are playing grab*ss with each other and schmoozing the boss for year end bonus points. This will give you time to loosen up.

LMAO laugh So true.

Thanks for great post. I called about the piano rental place and was told they have a 48" Yamaha U1 ebony excellent condition, tuned, delivered, and picked up for $450 for 24 hours. They also have a baby grand for $850 but I doubt the boss will go for that. Anyway, have to book it soon if I want it. Still going to give the ES7 a test run first. I think its win either way w/ U1 or ES7. Just have to find a red stocking cap now!

#2178955 - 11/08/13 09:34 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
So start playing early as people congregate and are playing grab*ss with each other and schmoozing the boss for year end bonus points. This will give you time to loosen up.

LMAO laugh So true.

Thanks for great post. I called about the piano rental place and was told they have a 48" Yamaha U1 ebony excellent condition, tuned, delivered, and picked up for $450 for 24 hours. They also have a baby grand for $850 but I doubt the boss will go for that. Anyway, have to book it soon if I want it. Still going to give the ES7 a test run first. I think its win either way w/ U1 or ES7. Just have to find a red stocking cap now!

probably should ask you offline because somewhat OT, but the ES7 is starting to interest me a lot as a future replacement keyboard. the demos (yes, i know- i shouldn't pay attention to those!!!) sound really nice for the AP's and i admire its looks, and i would imagine the kawai action is superior to most slabs in its class. are you really content with it? is it easy to move? do you have the custom stand that's made for it and does that travel well? To my ears, the demos sound a lot better than the CP4

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2178977 - 11/08/13 10:28 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: bfb]
500 Post Club Member

probably should ask you offline because somewhat OT, but the ES7 is starting to interest me a lot as a future replacement keyboard. the demos (yes, i know- i shouldn't pay attention to those!!!) sound really nice for the AP's and i admire its looks, and i would imagine the kawai action is superior to most slabs in its class. are you really content with it? is it easy to move? do you have the custom stand that's made for it and does that travel well? To my ears, the demos sound a lot better than the CP4

Yes, OT but quickly...

- ES7 sounds incredible especially demoed with good headphone.
- Action is excellent - great weight and touch. very authentic feel
- I don't have the proprietary Kawai stand. I use X stand (yuck -but works fine) and yes it travels well. it's not too heavy IMO
- it's very nice looking if important for the home. non issue for me. thats why I did not by Kawai stand
- excellent for gigs, with or without amp depending on venue. (so good is reason why I want to use it at xmas party).
- yes, Im extremely content with it. Will never sell or trade it even when I buy more DPs in the future. It's that good

CP4 is a different animal. Played it only for a few minutes
- default piano sound is great. Wish I had time tweak it it a bit and try other piano sounds. Many other voices to choose from as well
- action was one of the best Ive played on a DP
- I think will travel well and be amazing for studio work
- seemed user friendly for such an advanced DP

You have to demo regardless. Both will sound amazing. You just have to figure which is more pleasing to your ears. Cant go wrong with either one.

PM me if you want to discuss it.

#2178988 - 11/08/13 10:53 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

thanks Marko- that is really helpful. especially the comparison with the CP4..

#2179053 - 11/08/13 12:50 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
emenelton Offline

One thing a grand and DP share is an open sight line, which for parties, brings an elevated feeling of engagement with the revelers. Uprights are lacking in that regard.
I would choose a DP over an upright.

#2179094 - 11/08/13 02:06 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: emenelton]
500 Post Club Member

Good point, emenelton. Im in the office right now looking at the space with a tape measure. The Yamaha U1 is 4ft tall x 5ft wide. I figure line of sight will be clear. I should be able to see over it when sitting down. Im 5'9" so it should be ok i think. But I see what you are saying about feeling of engagement. That is the whole point of afterall.

#2179109 - 11/08/13 02:39 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? [Re: Marko in Boston]
emenelton Offline

Grands for situations like that are wonderful in more ways than one.

Upright vs DP, to me, not so much. People approach you and you only get indications out of the corner of your eye that somebody might be there.

I looked at one on Yamaha's web site, it doesn't really seem like you would be looking over the top of it while sitting at it.

Just my 3 cents

Good Luck and have fun!

#2190090 - 11/29/13 12:49 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Update:

My Christmas Party is next Thursday the 5th. I decided to go with the ES7 with a new toy I just bought today! Let me explain:

A few weeks ago I brought my ES7 and Traynor amp in the office to give it a test run. The piano sounds great but the Traynor as good as it is, is not always the best for every situation. It was just too much or not quite right for the room especially with many people floating around. The Traynor usually works best with a band rather than solo in my opinion and experience. Anyway I played for a few people and they thought it sounded great on some songs and not so great on other songs. To much adjusting on my end So, I ruled out the Traynor and brought in my PreSonus ES5 next day. Sounded very good in combination with onboard speakers. But might be too week with 100 people getting loud especially after a few drinks. So, I was about ready to rent the upright piano until my boss gave me $500 to buy or rent whatever I needed to make it all work. So I started looking at some cheap PA systems last week thinking this might be best for this situation.

To make a long story short: I went to Guitar Center this morning with my 15% off coupon and bought Yamaha STAGEPAS 400i with very little research. It was $699 - 15% = $594. So, for $94 out of my pocket I now have a potentially good setup for the party and future gigs if needed.

I just gave it a test run past couple hours with a few people here in the office today and they thought it sounded amazing. The StagePas is very simple to work with, EQ settings at my fingertips, and speaker separation makes it perfect for the room. I think this Stagepas might have a bunch of other great features, but I have not jumped in that deep yet. The good part is I can easily plug in my iPhone in and run iTunes/Pandora when I want to take a break (which I have not thought of until now). But the best part is I plugged in a microphone and sounds great with reverb up. So much fun for all the hams that want to sing along. I just had my first volunteer to sing and help me test it out. Vocals and piano sound great together over the speakers. I am now very relieved and extremely excited for Thursday. The StagePas 400i is my MVP and sounds very promising so far, but obviously still to soon to fairly recommend it for DP players. Ill give a full review after a few runs with it.

Back to practice and more adjusting. I'll post back next Friday on how the party went.

#2190442 - 11/30/13 07:51 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

He GAVE you $500 bucks to buy whatever you needed?!!

is this like the really "official" Christmas kickoff party- as in you work at the North Pole for a guy who wears red suits?

Edited by bfb (11/30/13 07:52 AM)

#2190485 - 11/30/13 10:24 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: bfb]
500 Post Club Member

Yes, Santa-boss gave me $500! However, He was willing to rent a piano at same price. Also I am the ONLY entertainment for "his" party of 100 people. I think it was a win-win for both of us at $500. In fact, he made out a little better. Nobody can play Jinglebells better than me wink And lets not forget that Im one of his best employees for over 15 years!!

Oh great, now my arm hurts from patting myself on the back.

Edited by Marko in Boston (11/30/13 10:28 AM)

#2190570 - 11/30/13 01:53 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am using smaller room but will be my PX-130. One of the reasons was it was inexpensive, I don't have to worry about it and the control is good. Only thing that is a pain is folding down the seatback as I have a roadrunner xpress case for it.
I have thought about selling it and getting an SKB case for my Krome; but then I would need an amp. 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other.
Plus the PX can control my vst's
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2190705 - 11/30/13 07:57 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
8000 Post Club Member

Great upgrade - the Stagepas systems are difficult to beat for the price!

Best of luck with your gig!

Cheers,
James
x

#2190715 - 11/30/13 08:12 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
We use a Stagepas 300 for a singing group. With 8" woofers, it does very well for 50 people. The Stagepas 400 should be fine for what you need.

My only complaint (and it's _theoretical_, because we never actually needed the capability) is that there is no provision for "external effects" on the SP 300. Aside from that, it has just enough controls to make it usable.

Put the speakers up on stands, 6'-7' high. You'll get much better coverage that way. Rent the stands if you have to -- it'll be worth it.

. CHarles

#2190717 - 11/30/13 08:16 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Yes, Santa-boss gave me $500! ...

Brilliant, Marko! That's something I would do. Take advantage and buy yourself something. rotflmao!

Seriously... Will you sell those other amps you talked about? Use the money to buy stands? And maybe...oh... you'll think of something I'm sure. smile

Edited by rnaple (11/30/13 08:17 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2190820 - 12/01/13 04:02 AM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Yes, Santa-boss gave me $500! However, He was willing to rent a piano at same price. Also I am the ONLY entertainment for "his" party of 100 people. I think it was a win-win for both of us at $500. In fact, he made out a little better. Nobody can play Jinglebells better than me wink And lets not forget that Im one of his best employees for over 15 years!!

Brilliant! As you said, he was going to put that money anyway and if you are bringing your own piano he can put it in something that you can keep after entertaining people at his party. And he'll get a happier employee too. Win-win, definitely.

Stop patting your back, we don't want any injuries before the party... laugh

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2190972 - 12/01/13 02:02 PM Re: Digital or acoustic for holiday party? UPDATE [Re: Marko in Boston]
500 Post Club Member

Thanks all! I I just borrowed some Onstage crank-up speakers stands from the guitar player that lets me play in his band. (You are right Charles; stands made a huge difference). I tried them out today on the stands and it is going to be perfect setup. The sound is just superb with the speakers elevated and separated! The StagePas is really nice gear. Im no way going to sell my Traynor. The Stagepas is just another trick in my bag that seems it will be very accommodating for many situations as I am starting to imagine. James, you are right. The price is great for the sound and quality. Again, very nice equipment and impressing me more as I get deeper into them. Im having a lot of stress-free fun now and can't wait for Thur!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Alex1, 37 invisible), 1698 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156068 Topics
2291865 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
07/22/14 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
07/22/14 05:05 PM
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
07/22/14 04:48 PM
And what about this one?
by leel
07/22/14 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
07/22/14 04:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission