Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2178173 - 11/06/13 08:47 PM Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
In the past week, I've hung my first two sets of Renner hammers (Premium Blue Points, to be specific). It's funny; I never had a call to before, so I always used Abels from Schaff.

Never. Again.

These were the easiest hammer jobs I've ever done. I feel like an idiot for taking so long to come to the light on this one.

Oh, and the customers ADORE the sound.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2178183 - 11/06/13 09:06 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
tdv Offline

Loc: MI
I have never done hammers - just learning this piano tech stuff. But just curious, what makes one hammer easier to install than another? I assume that it is the dressing and voicing because it would seem to me that the wood cores would be pretty similar, as long as the holes were properly drilled. A short answer would be fine. TIA

#2178187 - 11/06/13 09:13 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Regarding installation, it's all in the boring and tailing (on grands). These were bored so well I didn't have to do any additional reaming prior to installation, and the fit was perfect; not too loose, either. The bore angel was perfect all the way across. All I had to do was pop the old ones off and glue the new ones on. The alignment was even acceptable, all the way across. It went so well I told the customer I'm charging him less for the labor.

To top it off, this was without sending them samples; the boring and tailing were done from their on-file specs. I didn't even send them a serial number.

My past experiences were nothing like that: Lots of reaming, and the bore angles were all over the map by comparison. Lots of alignment issues.

#2178189 - 11/06/13 09:15 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: tdv]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tdv
I have never done hammers - just learning this piano tech stuff. But just curious, what makes one hammer easier to install than another? I assume that it is the dressing and voicing because it would seem to me that the wood cores would be pretty similar, as long as the holes were properly drilled. A short answer would be fine. TIA

Very hard hammers take more time to voice. The same can also be said for very soft hammers.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2178193 - 11/06/13 09:18 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is the finished set:

This is an original old hammer on the right, with its corresponding replacement on the left, which is also a Renner (from 1980):

Another thing about the hammer on the right: That's my resurfacing work.

#2178195 - 11/06/13 09:19 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
In the past week, I've hung my first two sets of Renner hammers (Premium Blue Points, to be specific). It's funny; I never had a call to before, so I always used Abels from Schaff.

Never. Again.

These were the easiest hammer jobs I've ever done. I feel like an idiot for taking so long to come to the light on this one.

Oh, and the customers ADORE the sound.

Unless you are working from scratch, I think it is important to have someone you really trust do the work. Sounds like you've found what works for you. While I think the Blue Points can be made to sound nice (i.e. Ravenscroft pianos), I'm more of a Ronsen guy. I use Dale Erwin to prep my hammers and the end result is always world class.

#2178221 - 11/06/13 09:58 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm not set up to bore and tail my own (don't have the shop space or equipment), so I have to have it done for me.

#2178230 - 11/06/13 11:00 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm not set up to bore and tail my own (don't have the shop space or equipment), so I have to have it done for me.

Yup, me too! Isn't it nice that there are great people to do these things for us?

#2178283 - 11/07/13 02:43 AM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Indeed it is!

#2178286 - 11/07/13 03:14 AM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Here is the finished set:

This is an original old hammer on the right, with its corresponding replacement on the left, which is also a Renner (from 1980):

Another thing about the hammer on the right: That's my resurfacing work.

hello, great you are happy, I like those jobs.

your new hammers are longer or is the left one a bass hammer and right one from mediums ?

the back-checks could need to be lowered then.

their angle may need to be reset, also.

I stopped ordering bored hammers but in any case what matters is knowing how to decide of the bore, see what was installed originally, was it right, and use a good dimension.

longer bore can put you in trouble easily. longer tails often can be an advantage but the backcheck height is a parameter of touch. (too tall they make it a little less firm)

I wonder if the piano is a Foerster ?

Edited by Olek (11/07/13 04:46 AM)

#2178455 - 11/07/13 12:28 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Isaac, those are the same number hammer in the scale. What I think it is, is that the old hammer had been resurfaced so much over the past 35 years that that is all that's left of it. This is the Baldwin SF-10 I've posted about previously with the voicing issues.

I did a spot check of the back checks yesterday after the rehanging, and they were generally checking where they should be. I still need to go through and check each individual note, and regulate the hammer height

#2178508 - 11/07/13 02:03 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jim,

I read a post sometime by some experts in rebuilding, and what they do before gluing on the hammers, is counter sink the bore hole of the hammer moulding a little bit, and for the entire set, for a better gluing/bonding job.

Edited by Mark Davis (11/07/13 04:21 PM)
Edit Reason: a

#2178545 - 11/07/13 03:50 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: Mark Davis]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Davis
Jim,

I read a post sometime by some experts in rebuilding, and what they do before gluing on the hammers, is counter sink the bore hole of the hammer moulding and for the entire set, for a better gluing/bonding job.

My mentor taught me what I understand to be the factory method; spin the head onto the shank for even glue distribution. I've never had a head come off.

#2178555 - 11/07/13 04:06 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting that this is an SF-10. I replaced a set of hammers on a 1986 SF-10 this summer... original hammers with red underfelt.

Just out of curiosity, did you measure action ratio and mass of sample hammers?

#2178643 - 11/07/13 07:25 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The action ratio was way off; too much travel, of course.

I didn't weigh samples because I didn't have to provide them; Renner has the specs on file. Call me lazy... laugh

I estimate that the old hammers had had ~⅓ of their original mass removed through resurfacing over the years.

Did the SF-10 you did have a Renner action, or Baldwin? This one had Renner.

#2178652 - 11/07/13 07:40 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I am pretty sure all SF 10s had Renner actions.

I am also pretty sure if you took all the felt off the top hammers on any piano, you still would not remove a third of the mass.

#2178702 - 11/07/13 08:44 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I estimate that the old hammers had had ~⅓ of their original mass removed through resurfacing over the years.
I seriously doubt it.

Filing hammers (properly) does not remove as much hammer mass as one might think.

Everyone should try this test: take a hammer, weigh it and then start removing felt, trying to take off one or two grams. I have done it. I finally put away the hammer file and took a knife to it. By the time 1.5 grams had been removed the hammer was very, very much smaller and severely compromised, essentially unusable

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2178719 - 11/07/13 09:13 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: OperaTenor]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

On the one I did, the action ratio is 6.17, as measured by the Fandrich-Rhodes ITF calculator. Crazy high! Yes, the action is Renner. Baldwin never used its own action for the SF-10 and SD-10, to my knowledge.

Hammer mass is not consistent, so that's not a spec anyone would have on file. On my project, the Cs were as follows (in grams):

C1: 9.1
C2: 8.3
C3: 7.6
C4: 6.7
C5: 6.2
C6: 5.2
C7: 4.8
C8: 4.4

These hammers were heavily filed, so I assume they were probably 1g heavier to begin with, except in the treble, of course. As a result, this piano was probably quite difficult to play, when new. Because the action ratio was so high, I wanted to keep the hammer mass in the same ballpark, so I had Dale weigh the new hammers to Stanwood curve #6, which is on the light side. After installing the hammers, dialing in friction, and releading the keys, it is now a really nice piano!

#2178736 - 11/07/13 09:33 PM Re: Sometimes, it takes me a while to come around on some things [Re: Supply]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Supply
I seriously doubt it.

Filing hammers (properly) does not remove as much hammer mass as one might think.

Everyone should try this test: take a hammer, weigh it and then start removing felt, trying to take off one or two grams. I have done it. I finally put away the hammer file and took a knife to it. By the time 1.5 grams had been removed the hammer was very, very much smaller and severely compromised, essentially unusable

Yeah, I overshot my estimate.

It was still lot of material that came off over the years. The old hammers seemed tiny compared to the Blue Points.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
56 registered (Abby Pianoman, Anticlock, AndrewJCW, aesop, accordeur, 13 invisible), 1083 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305131 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission