2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
just got the native instruments 4 pianos today- will write a review this month after a work trip.

I actually like the source of the AK; an approx. 6' Yamaha- I find the 9' too bright for my liking

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by toddy
They don't ship to Portugal disappointingly. Maybe Musician's Friend only deals with the USA........friendly within certain limits?

Does Portugal get "Musician's Enemy" catalogs choking their mail slots, with products they won't send you?

No,actually, since you ask. Mail boxes here are choked with offers for trips by coach to Fatima or Lourdes or destinations with unique, native herbal teas which will cure all physical and mental ills.

It's amazing really. When they are gone (and these brochures already have the smell of a bygone age) I shall miss them.

Nevertheless, they go straight to the bin unread, of course. The lot of the mailshot is not a happy one.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Psychonaut
And I'm not knocking Alicia's Keys...

Me neither.

It can be quite instructive to buy a lesser sampled piano and struggle with it's shortcomings for a while, and then run screaming into the arms of something more expensive / higher quality. AK seems to be priced well for this. But I think I'd start with a stripped down version of Pianoteq, that's something I'd likely find uses for even after getting Ivory or whatever.

spot on comment. there is something to be said for making your own mistakes and learning the hard way. i think i paid 69 or 79 for it a couple years ago at a guitar center. thought i was getting a deal. played with it for about a month and it hasn't been used since. just think there are several better options out there for not that much more money. and i've never been very good with the idea that i will need to possess a battery of pianos that i can go to for various tonal qualities or moods. if i find one that i like, i pretty much stick to it. AK isn't it. But if you are a composer and you want certain timbres- well at this price it won't hurt you too much.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, AK (at $49) is well priced for something you can buy and then never use once you play it and find out how bad it is. It is nearly unplayable in my opinion because of the deadness (lack of sustain) on the C note one octave above middle C (and one or two other notes). I discussed this problem with its creator when it was first released and he acknowledged the issue but refused to fix it.

So the question is: Why buy it in the first place?

The Vintage D is about $125 (or you can pay $175 to also get a copy of AK at $49 that you will then never use). The Ivory II American D is $180. These are by far the two most highly recommended pianos discussed here and have met the test of time.

If you absolutely must have a Yamaha piano (rather than a Steinway), I would recommend the Ivory II Grand Piano collection which includes a playable (but rather hot and zingy) Yamaha C7 and a decent Steinway D (but not the American D). Unfortunately I don't know of another good Yamaha alternative. On the other hand, the Vintage D can easily be voiced to work very well for musical genre's that I would normally choose to use a Yamaha piano. I would not recommend the American D for those applications.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK, I just received Alicia's Keys yesterday, so am comparing it to Pianoteq which I already have, using a Kawai VPC1.
I had a hard time getting AK to work at all, because it wouldn't play nice with my ASIO drivers (a Maya44 card). I installed my Emu 1010 and it's working great with them. A-B'ing Pianoteq and AK (both running at the same time) and so far AK is a clear winner for me. Maybe I'm just used to the sound, since my piano is a Yamaha C3.
Admittedly this is just a preliminary judgement, but so far I can't seem to tweak Pianoteq to where I'm pleased with the sound. I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm itching to try Ivory, but it might be a while before I can get ahold of it. There just doesn't seem to be any way to really tell until you run them in your setup.

Update - now that I've had a couple of days to check it out and work some more with Pianoteq, I mostly prefer Pianoteq at this point. Note that I'm simply using the software for real-time playing, not for sequencing. There are so many options in Pianoteq it's really a matter of learning how to get the sound you want, and the real-time response, dynamics, half-pedalling, etc., are just better. AK might be better for sequencing, but I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by EP; 11/07/13 10:51 AM. Reason: Update
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EP
OK, I just received Alicia's Keys yesterday, so am comparing it to Pianoteq which I already have, using a Kawai VPC1.
I had a hard time getting AK to work at all, because it wouldn't play nice with my ASIO drivers (a Maya44 card). I installed my Emu 1010 and it's working great with them. A-B'ing Pianoteq and AK (both running at the same time) and so far AK is a clear winner for me. Maybe I'm just used to the sound, since my piano is a Yamaha C3.
Admittedly this is just a preliminary judgement, but so far I can't seem to tweak Pianoteq to where I'm pleased with the sound. I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm itching to try Ivory, but it might be a while before I can get ahold of it. There just doesn't seem to be any way to really tell until you run them in your setup.

Update - now that I've had a couple of days to check it out and work some more with Pianoteq, I mostly prefer Pianoteq at this point. Note that I'm simply using the software for real-time playing, not for sequencing. There are so many options in Pianoteq it's really a matter of learning how to get the sound you want, and the real-time response, dynamics, half-pedalling, etc., are just better. AK might be better for sequencing, but I haven't tried that yet.

sounds like your AK is heading for the Island of Misfit Toys.

Last edited by bfb; 11/07/13 02:41 PM.

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If only it were the only $ I'd spent on something I don't use.
Ah well, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, or something like that.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll use it some, I always do if only out of stubborn-ness.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i wouldn't sweat it. it costs about as much as two large pizzas and a pitcher of beer.

EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, plus it's a learning experience and didn't add to my waistline.
Plus, it finally got me to pull the Maya44 out of my system (it's been problematic from the get-go) and plug in the EMU 1010, which is a better card, at least in my Gateway-without-any-PCI-slots. (That's another story, but it was a rather nasty surprise that the computer came with only PCIe slots so none of my old cards would work).

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I have decided for the next few weeks to hold off- maybe it would go lower for black friday.

I am finding addictive keys well worth the $29, for the variety and editing available.
Soon I will open up the other native pianos- which at $12.50 each are a good deal, I like how they sound.

I still need to hook up my Ik total workstation sounds and see what else I might want.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission