Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2179582 - 11/09/13 12:35 PM Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq?
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
I run Pianoteq from my Asus laptop thru a Behringer mixer, and have been using it with headphones. I'd like to play it thru some decent speakers as well. Can anyone recommend a set of reasonably priced speakers that connect via a 1/4" jack? I'd also like to seprate the speakers by about 6 feet, so the speaker cords should accommodate that.

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2179620 - 11/09/13 01:36 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well, the only thing I can recommend are the nearfield monitors I use (see below). I have been through a few different ones and these I have been very happy with.

Basically, the more money you throw at them, the better they will be. I have found that there is not much more to it than that.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2179653 - 11/09/13 03:30 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: dmd]
Psychonaut Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd
Well, the only thing I can recommend are the nearfield monitors I use (see below). I have been through a few different ones and these I have been very happy with.

Basically, the more money you throw at them, the better they will be. I have found that there is not much more to it than that.

+1 on both counts. The monitors dmd is talking about will be much better than consumer audio speakers, as they won't have artificially ramped-up bass, eq and such, but will give you a flat, natural sound. I found a great deal on some Mackie Tapco S5s on eBay a few years ago and have been happy with them. I've also had M-Audio BX5s, which were cheaper, but had a thinner, tinny sound that I wasn't thrilled with.

The higher up the $$$ food-chain you can afford to go, the better quality you can get. Just the way it is.

#2179676 - 11/09/13 04:19 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Monitors are not a good value. At the low-end you'd do nearly as well with mid-range computer speakers. At the high-price end of the monitor market ... well the OP seems to want "reasonably priced speakers", so skip those.

An A/V receiver/amp and speakers can outperform any "reasonably priced" monitors. I'd take a look on ebay. Amps can be found for under $50. And I'd look at Craigs List for speakers, anywhere from $50 to a few hundred ... with plenty of room to negotiate.

#2179728 - 11/09/13 06:36 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Mac may be right about looking into an amplifier/receiver pair with speakers. I am not knowledgeable enough about stereo equipment so I was reluctant to introduce another factor (the separate amp) into the sound chain (compatibility issues and all).

If you get yourself a high quality amplifier then you can keep it as you swap out various speaker systems. This seems more cost effective than swapping out monitors which include the amplifier, each time. However, some might say there is that compatibility factor to consider each time.

All I know is I have looked at various options and have landed on the ones I currently have to great satisfaction.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2179751 - 11/09/13 07:14 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's hard to find 'good value' in speakers. For the most part audiophiles pay through the nose. I have yet to find a set of speakers I'm happy with. The most expensive set I have used with my piano was $1000 or so and it was only ok. Need more scratch if you want something really pleasing.

#2179844 - 11/09/13 10:22 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I can suggest a very good value. I have a pair of Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8 monitors. They actually do pretty good. I use them most of the time. My Event's I let rest most of the time. Only when I really want to hear something well do I use my Event's. The Prodipes aren't far off the Event's. The Prodipes, I didn't like at first. Had to break in the speakers. They were tight. They are actually pretty good. Especially for the price. They walk all over any computer speakers. I also think they do better than many second hand stereo setups. They're more accurate. Need to place them right. They do have a very sweet spot.

EDIT: I have lost both of the LED lights on the Prodipes. A shame. They were a pretty blue color. Things like this seem to happen to them. Mine are working great though.

Edited by rnaple (11/09/13 10:24 PM)

#2179976 - 11/10/13 08:58 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: rnaple]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I can suggest a very good value. I have a pair of Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8 monitors. They actually do pretty good. I use them most of the time. My Event's I let rest most of the time. Only when I really want to hear something well do I use my Event's. The Prodipes aren't far off the Event's. The Prodipes, I didn't like at first. Had to break in the speakers. They were tight. They are actually pretty good. Especially for the price. They walk all over any computer speakers. I also think they do better than many second hand stereo setups. They're more accurate. Need to place them right. They do have a very sweet spot.

EDIT: I have lost both of the LED lights on the Prodipes. A shame. They were a pretty blue color. Things like this seem to happen to them. Mine are working great though.

Thanks for the specific recommendation. I went onto Amazon to search for the Pro 8's, buut they only list the Pro 5's. Size-wise, these would work out well, since my space is rather limited. But I'm wondering whether you have any opinion on these? Also, I don't understand some of the listed specs - XLR, 1/4" TRS and HF Adjust. Would these plug into a 1/4" jack?

They're a bit more than I wanted to spend, but not too bad.

Thanks!

#2179990 - 11/10/13 09:38 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Do you guys have any opinion on Yamaha HS5 (or 7, 8)? I am sort of considering them but I am not sure. Might the result be comparable/better than some higher-end console DP built-in speakers? Thanks.

#2180007 - 11/10/13 10:01 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I would look into monitors created for performing instead of the monitors that are produced for studio listening. Obviously, keep to the usual requirements for freq response, but also get the ones with the largest cones that you can afford. Ten inches or more. You might check out the Yamaha Stagepas 500's for example. But twelve inch cones would be better.

I did see that space was a concern. Larger monitors will take up a little more space, but not that much more. In any case, talk to the sound people in the Pro sound department of your local music store and ask what they would use for a piano. They should be willing to let you compare the sound of different makes and different cone sizes.

You may well find that the price for decent stage equipment is about the same as that for good studio monitors. In addition, check out the used section of a large music store. Often PA systems can be found there--but of course check for blown speakers or torn or worn\indented cones.

Edited by Jake Jackson (11/10/13 10:11 AM)

#2180011 - 11/10/13 10:12 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Hookxs asked: Do you guys have any opinion on Yamaha HS5 (or 7, 8)? I am sort of considering them but I am not sure. Might the result be comparable/better than some higher-end console DP built-in speakers? Thanks.

As speakers for producing the best piano sound, I doubt these are the best choice - the Yamaha HS series are NS10 style monitors for tracking/ mixing.

Even so, I'm thinking of getting a set of HS7 - in fact they are waiting in my Thomann basket already. They seem to be a great deal cheaper here in Europe than in the USA, especially compared with the above mentioned Prodipe series (the Prodipe Pro 8 Ribbons that rnaple owns cost €537 or over 700 US dollars, here according to the SOS review - making the Prodipes way outside my budget).

The Yamaha HS7 (pair including stands) cost €379 - €395 (depending on local tax rates). So, given Yamaha's reputation for nearfield monitors, these seem like excellent value, at least in Europe.

However, the priorities for near-field monitors for mixing are very different from those for producing a pleasing, real-sounding piano sound.

Edited by toddy (11/10/13 10:37 AM)

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2180056 - 11/10/13 11:36 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: toddy]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
1/4" jack is: 1/4" TRS
I think the 5's are good. Normal consideration is lack of bass. Probably better than the 8's if you include a sub woofer.

Originally Posted By: toddy
... (the Prodipe Pro 8 Ribbons that rnaple owns cost €537 or over 700 US dollars, here according to the SOS review - making the Prodipes way outside my budget).

WOW... I think I paid $280 for my pair. They kept talking them up. Saying they were worth twice that. I don't know if that is true. I don't have the experience with cheaper monitors.

#2180060 - 11/10/13 11:44 AM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Strange isn't it! As I say, these extraordinary price differences make me lean towards the Yamaha HS7's here....just as I opted for the Roland HP302, rather than going for a stage piano such as the Roland FP7f or Yamaha P155, both of which would have cost more (with stands) than the HP302 despite its being a full console type.

Edited by toddy (11/10/13 11:45 AM)

#2180137 - 11/10/13 02:47 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: newbert
I run Pianoteq from my Asus laptop thru a Behringer mixer, and have been using it with headphones. I'd like to play it thru some decent speakers as well. Can anyone recommend a set of reasonably priced speakers that connect via a 1/4" jack? I'd also like to seprate the speakers by about 6 feet, so the speaker cords should accommodate that.

Thanks!

I`m wondering if laptops don`t like piano music. They can buzz annoyingly for some reason. I got a little pair o` speakers to help out. They buzz too, and on You tube recordings done by others . . . .

""

#2180194 - 11/10/13 05:09 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: newbert

Thanks!

I had a pair of Mackie MR5-MK2 5" ($250 pair) that I like(d) very much, but did not use too often. Since I did not use them often I let my brother borrow them and eventually sold to him. Even though my DP has built-in speakers I missed having studio monitors to crank up on occasion. With that in mind I went shopping for a pair of inexpensive studio monitors. I was just planning on buying the newer Mackie MR5-MK3s... until I heard the PreSonus Eris E5. Great sound, detail, and depth that surprised me for a pair under $300. The best feature is the acoustic adjustment in the back of the monitors. It's very helpful when positioning the monitors. Monitors are very directional and the acoustic adjustment is very helpful to achieve a full sound regardless of placement. The Eris E5s are directional but much more dynamic than the Mackies. What I also like is that they are just as "beefy" as my Mackies were. It capture the bass with great detail and depth that you can feel. Yes, as I said before I like to rattles the windows with the Mackies. The Eris E5s does just the same but with a bit more detail and width. Great deal for 5" monitors. You can buy them blindly - trust me - you will have no regrets for the price.

#2180205 - 11/10/13 05:26 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: newbert]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Oh yes,these PreSonus Eris E5 look great. I'd not seen these!...pity they don't do a size between 5" & 8" - It would suit my needs fine......but maybe even the 5" ones would do for me. How would you rate the low end performance?

#2180283 - 11/10/13 07:35 PM Re: Recommend Computer Speakers for Pianoteq? [Re: toddy]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: toddy
Oh yes,these PreSonus Eris E5 look great. I'd not seen these!...pity they don't do a size between 5" & 8" - It would suit my needs fine......but maybe even the 5" ones would do for me. How would you rate the low end performance?

Hi Toddy, I just go them about , I just got them about a week ago. I was planning on doing a post once I got a good feel for them - and I will. But for now I must say that I love them. The seem more like a great pair of speakers than a monitors. Yes it is flat and has plenty of detail, but very user friendly right out of the box as a pair of fine stereo speakers would sound. I like that - easy and sounds fantastic without a lot of adjusting. I will create a thread soon as I get a bit more acclimated with them. So far I am extremely impressed with how nice these sound with a digital piano. I mostly like the full bass sound they give, like the Mackie, but a little cleaner and more detailed. Not boomy at all as Mackies could get.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Explanation article - False Beats
by Beemer
22 minutes 15 seconds ago
Kawai Mp7 advice / help
by IMOL
54 minutes 44 seconds ago
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (anotherscott, ando, Arizona Sage, AndresD, 35 invisible), 1423 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76592 Members
42 Forums
158375 Topics
2325610 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission