2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
This reply confuses me.

Why would M&H have a plate cast with the name "Boston" on the plate? Boston is a line of pianos within the "Steinway Family" and has nothing to do with Mason & Hamlin. M&H was the brand in question.

Mike Carr is just stirring the pot and casting aspersions, Marty. It is what he does. He is referring to the fact that Mason is located in Boston, yet the frame is made elsewhere.

In today's global market it is possible that a piano "made in Poland" uses components made elsewhere. It could have music wire made in Germany, hardware screws made in China, and plates made in the Czech. Republic. Within the industry this is common knowledge and this does not mean that the piano is not made in Poland.

If this is a concern to a customer - ask. I do not know of any manufacturers who hide these facts from their dealers.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Ilaw,

It's not an opinion, exactly, but food for thought. Even under 134.47,

"When as part of a trademark or trade name or as part of a souvenir marking, the name of a location in the United States or “United States” or “America” appear, the article shall be legibly, conspicuously, and permanently marked to indicate the name of the country of origin of the article preceded by “Made in,” “Product of,” or other similar words, in close proximity or in some other conspicuous location.",

there is little room for misunderstanding. M&H does, on their website, repeatedly claim their pianos are "And, as always, Mason & Hamlin pianos are Made in America." I don't believe Steinway makes the same claim for Boston.

Mike

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Rich,

I do not know of any manufacturers who hide these facts from their dealers.

It's the hiding from the consumer that FTC rules are concerned with.

Mike Carr is just stirring the pot and casting aspersions, Marty. It is what he does. He is referring to the fact that Mason is located in Boston, yet the frame is made elsewhere.

The plate is marked Boston and made in China. M&H does not currently manufacture pianos in Boston, it's Haverhill.

I'm not talking about what's made in Poland or the engine in a Volkswagen or the world economy. I'm discussing the claim "Made in the USA" as defined by the FTC and what constitutes deceptive practices. I am not saying M&H is guilty of anything.

If you can discuss this without defining what it is you think I'm doing or trying to pigeonhole people who don't agree with a certain marketing scheme, I'd apreciate your input. The fact that one of the forum "experts" seems to have thought the Mason's plate was made in America at least leaves room for some thought and clarification.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Carr; 11/12/13 02:03 PM.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Mike Carr

It's not an opinion, exactly, but food for thought ...

Mike,

You're right, that is food for thought. I initially assumed you were talking about Steinway's Boston pianos.

FWIW, I suspect that CBP would be satisfied that a finished M&H grand, even one with a Chinese plate and who-knows-what-else from who-knows-where-else, would be considered to have been substantially transformed (19 CFR 134.35) into a product of the United States by the manufacturing process in Massachusetts, and thus would not require a CBP-mandated foreign country of origin marking.

The food for thought here, though, is whether the FTC would be satisfied that the piano can be represented as "Made in the USA." I don't have the data I would want to form an opinion on that question, but it is an interesting one.

Larry.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
The plate is marked Boston and made in China.

And Steinway's plate is made in Ohio, yet it says New York on the plate. I get it Mike. Keep stirring.

For the record I am not defending Mason & Hamlin or the many other manufacturers that have global sourcing for their components.

It is easy enough to find out where components are being sourced from if this is important to a consumer. Why pick out Mason Mike?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
B
BDB Offline
B
The whole question of country of origin has become blurred in recent years. There is the story of the town that cancelled an order for a piece of equipment made by Kubota and ordered it from Deere, instead, only to find that the Kubota was assembled in the US, while the Deere was assembled in Japan. Recent reports have said that the automobiles with the most US content have Japanese nameplates, Toyota or Honda, rather than any of the so-called US automakers.

Mason & Hamlin may have more US content now than they have had previously, if the parts for their actions are made in the US.

Semipro Tech
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Rich,

And Steinway's plate is made in Ohio, yet it says New York on the plate. I get it Mike. Keep stirring.

Come on, Rich, as long as the plate is made in the USA, the FTC has no problems. And if you can't truly see the difference, well . . .

Since you are a Mason & Hamlin dealer and not trying to hide anything, maybe it's time you stepped up to the plate. Where exactly are the Mason's piano action, plate, crown retention system, and the upright cabinet made?

Mike

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
The plate is marked Boston and made in China. M&H does not currently manufacture pianos in Boston, it's Haverhill.

Do we know that the plate is made in China? The only reference has been this:
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
It is my understanding that they are cast in China.

I don't believe that an "understanding" is definitive. This may all be based on a false premise. There certainly are other foundries which can lay claim to "made in U.S.A."

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Do we know that the plate is made in China?

Yes, Mason frames are cast in China. They are sanded, bonded, and finished in Massachusetts.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rich!

Marty in Minnesota

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Do we know that the plate is made in China? The only reference has been this:
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
It is my understanding that they are cast in China.

I don't believe that an "understanding" is definitive. This may all be based on a false premise. There certainly are other foundries which can lay claim to "made in U.S.A."

Yes, they are cast in China. They are drilled, machined and -- as Rich pointed out -- finished in the US. M&H has made no particular secret of this.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Del

Yes, they are cast in China. They are drilled, machined and -- as Rich pointed out -- finished in the US. M&H has made no particular secret of this.

I think Mike's point is more subtle than this. The FTC likes to point out to U.S. manufacturers that generally there is no U.S. law that requires them to indicate that a product is U.S.-made. If the manufacturer chooses to overtly make an unqualified "Made in USA" claim, however, the FTC's relatively rigorous "all or virtually all" standard kicks in.

I think what Mike is questioning is whether a piano manufactured in the U.S. with a Chinese-made plate passes the FTC's test. It's an interesting question.

Larry.

Is Mason making a strong (and potentially unqualified) claim?

I'm sure the vast bulk of the cost of manufacturing a piano is labor. How much does the raw plate cost? My guess is that the finishing of the plate costs more than the purchase of the raw material itself, and that would probably apply even if the plate had come from Ohio.

BTW, I'm instantly suspicious of the motives of anyone who wraps a product in a flag. Grotrian wouldn't meet Petrof's stupid (my opinion) CAFIM standard for everything made in the EU. Grotrian's plates come from the USA. Does it make Petrof a better piano if it's wrapped in the EU banner? Pure marketing BS for the nationalistic and the gullible.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
As quoted by Mike Carr:

"A product that is all or virtually all made in the United States will ordinarily be one in which all significant parts(14) and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin. In other words, where a product is labeled or otherwise advertised with an unqualified "Made in USA" claim, it should contain only a de minimis, or negligible, amount of foreign content. Although there is no single "bright line" to establish when a product is or is not "all or virtually all" made in the United States, there are a number of factors that the Commission will look to in making this determination. To begin with, in order for a product to be considered "all or virtually all" made in the United States, the final assembly or processing of the product must take place in the United States. Beyond this minimum threshold, the Commission will consider other factors, including but not limited to the portion of the product's total manufacturing costs that are attributable to U.S. parts and processing; and how far removed from the finished product any foreign content is."

The specific factors listed by the Commission include:

"Final assembly or processing takes place in the US": Mason and Hamlin grands meet this criterion.

"Portion of the product's total manufacturing costs attributable to US parts and processing": nearly all, I would think, as the plate is one piece and the thousands of other pieces are made and the piano is assembled here.

"How far removed from the finished product any foreign content is": An unsanded, uncoated, etc., plate is almost as far removed from the finished product as the pig iron itself.

While it is true that the plate is a large part, it is just one part! Just to anticipate Mike's response that you cannot have a piano without a plate, the list of factors that the Commission includes in the rules clearly indicates that it is very unlikely that having one relatively unprocessed and simple part. however large, in a product made of thousands of components will transform that product into one that the Commission would not consider to be made in the USA.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by iLaw
Originally Posted by Del

I think Mike's point is more subtle than this. The FTC likes to point out to U.S. manufacturers that generally there is no U.S. law that requires them to indicate that a product is U.S.-made. If the manufacturer chooses to overtly make an unqualified "Made in USA" claim, however, the FTC's relatively rigorous "all or virtually all" standard kicks in.

I think what Mike is questioning is whether a piano manufactured in the U.S. with a Chinese-made plate passes the FTC's test. It's an interesting question.

I have no idea whether M&H pianos pass the FTC's test or not. I was simply clarifying the point that, yes, M&H plates are cast in China and they are drilled and finished in the U.S. There appeared to be some question about this. The rest of you all can debate the rest....

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLaw
Originally Posted by Del

Larry.

Not to stir the pot…

The linked video in the original post likens the plate to the "heart" of the piano, and its casting as the birth of an individual instrument. The plate is definitely the heaviest and largest single part of a piano. It wouldn't be hard to make the case that it's a significant component. What other single piece is as important? A key? A string? Perhaps the sound board...

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
When I posted an NPR fluff piece, I never dreamed it would be controversial.

Whoda thunk it?

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

The linked video in the original post likens the plate to the "heart" of the piano, and its casting as the birth of an individual instrument. The plate is definitely the heaviest and largest single part of a piano. It wouldn't be hard to make the case that it's a significant component. What other single piece is as important?

I'm no tech, but isn't the finishing/trimming of the plate far more important than where it's cast, and the method used? I think the folks that make the rim would say it is the "birth" of the instrument, too…as would the folks who build the bellies…as would the folks who fit the actions to the piano… I'm inclined to think the belly of the piano is more like the "heart" of the instrument. The plate never changes, frozen in state.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When I posted an NPR fluff piece, I never dreamed it would be controversial.

Whoda thunk it?

Ain't the Internets great?

Gary
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
RPA,

"Final assembly or processing takes place in the US": Mason and Hamlin grands meet this criterion.
This is only if the amount of imported goods used in manufacturing is negligible, however, if it's the case of a piano plate, piano action, crown retention, etc, being imported . . .

The statement actually applies to "were a product to be manufactured primarily in the United States (and last substantially transformed there) but sent to Canada or Mexico for final assembly, any U.S. origin claim should be qualified to disclose the assembly that took place outside the United States."

"How far removed from the finished product any foreign content is": An unsanded, uncoated, etc., plate is almost as far removed from the finished product as the pig iron itself.

Again, I think you are misunderstanding the context. Let me give you an example:

Let’s take a wrench imported from China. It’s brought to a factory in the US for final preparation. There’s some reshaping with a power press, the grip is knurled, a hole drilled in the handle, it is heat treated, it is sandblasted, tumbled, cleaned with a chemical agent, it is electroplated, part of it is painted, there is even some assembly. Can this wrench now be marked Made in The USA? No. Because it was forged or cast into its original form before importation. Sound familiar?

Hope that helps.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission