Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2179736 - 11/09/13 06:46 PM Pianists, back pain, and remedy
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California
I had a frightening event 8 weeks ago, while seated at the piano,and it's been a climb back to normalcy with the help of a big 65cm stability ball. I thought I'd share.
http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/...ed-into-a-ball/

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2179748 - 11/09/13 07:03 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

As a physicians son, Mark C. where are you?: I take tremendous umbrage at this type of post.

There is not a pianist, who has ever lived, who has not had some problems with back pain/discomfort.

I, personally, have psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and chronic tendinitis in both heels. And, I daily use a regimen which I have specifically designed for ME! - and not anyone else.

There is no way in Hades that anyone watching this should even remotely attempt to adapt this to their own situation.

SHAME ON YOU!!!!

#2179752 - 11/09/13 07:25 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Louis Podesta]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
...I take tremendous umbrage at this type of post... SHAME ON YOU!!!!

I'm not sure what "type of post" Louis is referring to, and I'm not going to get into it with him.

I'll just say to the OP that, as someone who has suffered severely at the piano from injury (and still suffers, although it's managed now), I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you, I thank you for sharing your experience-- much of which is relevant to me-- and I wish you luck and grace as you find your way back to a stable normalcy.

-Jason

#2179794 - 11/09/13 09:14 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Louis Podesta]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

There is not a pianist, who has ever lived, who has not had some problems with back pain/discomfort.

Have you some inside information the rest of us don't have? I've not ever had back pain, or discomfort from playing and know many others who can attest to the same.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2179799 - 11/09/13 09:20 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: stores]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: stores

Have you some inside information the rest of us don't have? I've not ever had back pain, or discomfort from playing and know many others who can attest to the same.

I haven't either. I don't know what Mr. Podesta is talking about.

Polyphonist

#2179825 - 11/09/13 09:53 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

When are we going to get to hear you play the organ, AF?

Polyphonist

#2179831 - 11/09/13 10:03 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: argerichfan]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Why are people still taking this utter charlatan seriously?

Trust me... the fact that I replied to his post does not mean that I take him seriously... far from it, in fact.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#2179902 - 11/10/13 12:29 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: stores]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC

I guess that Mr. Podesta has just proven that I am not a pianist.

#2179905 - 11/10/13 12:40 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: BruceD]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

I guess that Mr. Podesta has just proven that I am not a pianist.

Yes. Obviously, all REAL pianists have back pain, Bruce.

Polyphonist

#2179907 - 11/10/13 01:05 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Yes. Obviously, all REAL pianists have back pain, Bruce.

But see, I have had a bout with terrible back pain these past two months. And given my mid-intermediate skill level, I'm less a pianist yet than I am "one who often plays the piano."

Hmm, I think the only logical conclusion we can reach from this exhaustive data set of my own personal experience is the following: if you have back pain you are not really a pianist.

Quod erat demonstrandum. wink
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2179939 - 11/10/13 05:58 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
drumour Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Playing the piano is physically therapeutic for me.

John

#2179942 - 11/10/13 06:36 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
And given my mid-intermediate skill level, I'm less a pianist...

According to some here you're no less a pianist than Horowitz.

♪ ≠ $

#2180024 - 11/10/13 10:33 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

According to some here you're no less a pianist artist than Horowitz.

Nice try though.

#2180158 - 11/10/13 03:41 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I play piano all day. I sit on a rolling office chair with a good little pillow and a regulated back. I sit with my knees crossed which takes the pressure off the lower back. Been doing this for 800 years and it works. I have never had back problems.

#2180173 - 11/10/13 04:17 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Nice try though.

Artist Shmartist. Both pianists.

♪ ≠ $

#2180177 - 11/10/13 04:24 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: stores]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

Nice try though.

Artist Shmartist.

There's a distinction.

#2180281 - 11/10/13 07:35 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
1000 Post Club Member

If a comparison requires tortured semantics in order to make it, I think we can all agree it's probably not worth making. So let's not waste much time finding the ways in which I may or may not be comparable to Horowitz. Not that I wouldn't want it to be true in some way--in fact, I had a dream just this week in which I was in a large dining room filled with long worn wooden tables, and I saw Horowitz sitting there. The room was filled with people milling about, but he was by himself, ignored by everybody else in the room. He was simply sitting there in that characteristic way in which he sat, sort of domed over his lap. I sat down next to him and told him I was so glad to find him there. He turned and smiled kindly at me and when he turned back, he began to play on the table. "Listen," he said. I tilted my head and sure enough, the table was making music. He played and played and played, his old fingers drumming and gliding over this rough wood table, and music was coming out that apparently only he and I could hear because nobody was reacting. I felt like as long as I sat there, he would just play, and it's all I wanted to do.

Anyway, I don't know why I dreamt that. But it was a lovely dream.
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2180353 - 11/10/13 09:27 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
There are real threads about back pain (and other pains pianists can have) elsewhere on PW; a little time using the Search feature might bring them up--- and good luck with that.

Snowflake, you melted on me before I could get motivated to find out about your ball. If you're happy with it, good for you. If you're prescribing treatments for people with back pain, you're playing with fire.

Anyone who has aches and pains that don't yield to the ordinary first-aid measures--- rest, NSAIDs as the label directs (if you tolerate them), correct seated posture and bench height, and maybe ice packs or a heating pad for a few 15-minute sessions per day--- those people should be talking to their doc, for more real help with their pain. Bad advice can be very expensive, and one person's perfect exercise program can be another's ruin.

I liked your wood table with Horowitz, though, sort of. Very minimalist--- to the vanishing point. Do I take it that the rest of the people in the room who couldn't hear his masterworks, played on a plank, referred to the rest of us?

#2180356 - 11/10/13 09:30 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: JoelW]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nice try though.

Artist Shmartist.

There's a distinction.

Of course, there is, but you've made no distinction elsewhere.

♪ ≠ $

#2180360 - 11/10/13 09:37 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Jeff Clef]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

I liked your wood table with Horowitz, though, sort of. Very minimalist--- to the vanishing point. Do I take it that the rest of the people in the room who couldn't hear his masterworks, played on a plank, referred to the rest of us?

Goodness, no. I'm sure if any of you had been there, you'd have heard it, too. The people in the background were not anybody specific.

I was afraid somebody would recognize him, too, and then I'd have to share, or something. Or maybe he would go home. I woke up before anything else happened.

And poof, he was gone.

#2180426 - 11/10/13 11:32 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: BruceD]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

The fact that you (or others you know) don't experience back pain from playing does not rule out the possibility that others might experience it (for whatever reason). The human body is very complex - and we're all different. It is probably more accurate to state that "some" pianists experience back pain/discomfort at one time or another in their lives. Those who don't are fortunate indeed. grin

#2180463 - 11/11/13 02:22 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Jeff Clef]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Snowflake, you melted on me before I could get motivated to find out about your ball. If you're happy with it, good for you. If you're prescribing treatments for people with back pain, you're playing with fire.

Anyone who has aches and pains that don't yield to the ordinary first-aid measures--- rest, NSAIDs as the label directs (if you tolerate them), correct seated posture and bench height, and maybe ice packs or a heating pad for a few 15-minute sessions per day--- those people should be talking to their doc, for more real help with their pain. Bad advice can be very expensive, and one person's perfect exercise program can be another's ruin.

Amen, and then some, brother!

A play on the old patriot phrase is that you have but one "Back" to give for your country. Once you screw it up, it will never be the same.

So, the last thing any pianist here should be doing is to post a quasi-instructional video on back pain remediation.

#2180475 - 11/11/13 04:10 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: carey]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

The fact that you (or others you know) don't experience back pain from playing does not rule out the possibility that others might experience it (for whatever reason). The human body is very complex - and we're all different. It is probably more accurate to state that "some" pianists experience back pain/discomfort at one time or another in their lives. Those who don't are fortunate indeed. grin

I, of course, realise this, carey. I think you may have missed my point.

♪ ≠ $

#2180518 - 11/11/13 08:43 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Jeff Clef]
1000 Post Club Member

I just wanted to quickly point out that I think you've got me confused with the original poster! I didn't give any back-related advice. I made a joke, and then shared my dream about Horowitz. Which means I added basically nothing to this thread, but still! smile

I do have a big yoga ball, but it's purple. And I don't use it nearly as often as I should, and have mostly advised people not to buy them because if you're not going to use it, it sure takes up an awful lot of space in your closet.

Either way, I shall take my ball and go home.

#2180545 - 11/11/13 09:47 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
My mistake--- it was a different person. I really beg your pardon, Snowflake.

Don't go home. I really did like your dream about Horowitz playing on a plank table. We don't see people who have that special touch with words here every day.

My dreams, you would never believe, and could not print.

#2180607 - 11/11/13 11:56 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: stores]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: carey

I, of course, realise this, carey. I think you may have missed my point.

Perhaps I did...... smile

#2180732 - 11/11/13 06:25 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: music32]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Laguna Greg, who has the licensed credentials to do so, has not been heard from on this post. I can fairly safely surmise that he knows that there are a myriad of reasons associated with back pain, and, therefore, one size never fits all.

The point is that no one, other than a licensed professional, with experience in this area of physical medicine - MD, Osteopath, or Chiropractor, (who would never do so on a forum such as this) should post a video which other back pain sufferers might imitate, and possibly in the process might permanently injure themselves.

Jeez, guys, if she posted a video, showing a cure for cancer, would you cut her the same slack.

#2180887 - 11/12/13 05:58 AM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Louis Podesta]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Jeez, guys, if she posted a video, showing a cure for cancer, would you cut her the same slack.

She didn't. And she also didn't tell others to imitate her. In fact, in the title of her blog, she called it her PERSONAL rehab.

And on the other hand, even professionals don't know everything. My last piano teacher tried to fix my back problems with Dispokinesis. Didn't really work for me. I guess I have to live with the fact that if I play the piano for more than 40 minutes in a row, without moving from the piano, my back might start to hurt.

But it also depends on the music. Weber's "Invitation to the dance" and some pieces by Schubert make my back hurt much faster than some types of pop music.
I guess it's all in the mix.

#2181087 - 11/12/13 01:38 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: patH]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: patH

She didn't. And she also didn't tell others to imitate her. In fact, in the title of her blog, she called it her PERSONAL rehab.

And on the other hand, even professionals don't know everything. My last piano teacher tried to fix my back problems with Dispokinesis. Didn't really work for me. I guess I have to live with the fact that if I play the piano for more than 40 minutes in a row, without moving from the piano, my back might start to hurt.

But it also depends on the music. Weber's "Invitation to the dance" and some pieces by Schubert make my back hurt much faster than some types of pop music.
I guess it's all in the mix.

For well over a hundred years, pianists sat in a chair, and not on a bench. That is what Frederic Chiu does, and also what he recommends for his students.

Give it a try, and if anyone gives you any grief about it, just mention the name of Radu Lupu and that will pretty much shut them up.

#2181159 - 11/12/13 04:20 PM Re: Pianists, back pain, and remedy [Re: Louis Podesta]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
For well over a hundred years, pianists sat in a chair, and not on a bench. That is what Frederic Chiu does, and also what he recommends for his students.

Give it a try, and if anyone gives you any grief about it, just mention the name of Radu Lupu and that will pretty much shut them up.

Maybe I will. If I find a chair comfortable enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ABC Vermonter, 36251, alans, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1364 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296247 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission