2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think the key there is if they asked. Which they didn't.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, but I was asked.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
It depends on what is meant by the phrase "for children."

What types of criteria are you looking for when teaching children, who are also closer to the beginner (formative) stage? In terms of what you want to teach them, and what they can handle, what do you want to see in the music you choose?

M
M
Yes, but I was asked.
No one asked of your opinion of the person playing. You asked about a quality piece of work written by Gurlitt, and a link was provided. You then proceeded to comment on the performer in addition to the composition.

Last edited by Morodiene; 11/09/13 11:45 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, but I was asked.

No one asked about the performance. Even if/when you are asked about something like that, only specific comments have use and value. For example, if someone asks about their performance you could respond, "I think the tempo was slow and the voicing needs work. All the voices sounded like they were the same volume." That response - although still an opinion - might help someone grow as an artist.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Yes, but I was asked.

No one asked about the performance. Even if/when you are asked about something like that, only specific comments have use and value. For example, if someone asks about their performance you could respond, "I think the tempo was slow and the voicing needs work. All the voices sounded like they were the same volume." That response - although still an opinion - might help someone grow as an artist.

Okay, but it's not an opinion. The performance is rhythmically uneven and phrased poorly, and the voicing in the A major section is careless and bad. Is that better for you?

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Yes, but I was asked.

Okay, but it's not an opinion. The performance is rhythmically uneven and phrased poorly, and the voicing in the A major section is careless and bad. Is that better for you?

Yes, that is improved. Now the unfortunate performer could work on their phrasing and voicing. It's hard to just work on being "not awful". One can't just turn down the "awful level control knob"
Also it sounds less mean spirited this way. I hope you'll agree there is importance in how humans interact with each other.

Pianist and Piano Teacher

bump
Originally Posted by keystring

What types of criteria are you looking for when teaching children, who are also closer to the beginner (formative) stage? In terms of what you want to teach them, and what they can handle, what do you want to see in the music you choose?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

bump

I don't choose music. They will bring in the music they're playing, and I will teach that.

Regards,

Polyphonist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

bump

I don't choose music. They will bring in the music they're playing, and I will teach that.

You're kidding.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member

Young children who are at the early stages will be choosing music for themselves and will have started playing that music, and then bring it in for you to teach?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

bump

You're kidding.

...No.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Young children who are at the early stages will be playing music that they have chosen themselves, and you will teach that music?

I don't teach "young children at the early stages."

Regards,

Polyphonist
That is what I was trying to get at. AZN explained why he liked the music of this particular composer. It addresses the problem of teaching young students who are at these stages, and finding compositions that will suit the needs, limitations, and tastes of that age group. When you criticize the music for the musical qualities you prefer, you are not thinking about these attributes. You have different needs because you are teaching a different age group.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
That is what I was trying to get at. AZN explained why he liked the music of this particular composer. It addresses the problem of teaching young students who are at these stages, and finding compositions that will suit the needs, limitations, and tastes of that age group. When you criticize the music for the musical qualities you prefer, you are not thinking about these attributes. You have different needs because you are teaching a different age group.

Many other composers wrote far superior music that is just as easy. And I can also. If I needed to teach a younger student, I would find better music than the Gurlitt piece.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. Is there no safe thread on any of these forums anymore?

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Many other composers wrote far superior music that is just as easy. And I can also. If I needed to teach a younger student, I would find better music than the Gurlitt piece.

FYI, the Gurlitt piece I posted was chosen by the RCM to be included in their publications (Celebration Series Perspectives, Book 5), so at least some experts in the field of music pedagogy thought it was a worthwhile composition.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

FYI, the Gurlitt piece I posted was chosen by the RCM to be included in their publications (Celebration Series Perspectives, Book 5), so at least some experts in the field of music pedagogy thought it was a worthwhile composition.

Oh come on. THEY don't have to listen to it over and over again.

Regards,

Polyphonist

But you don't teach younger students, and you don't teach or form beginners. Have you worked out the kind of criteria that are behind those choices for this kind of teaching? The teachers here who do teach that level and age group have done so. When you are questioning their choices, have you thought it through from that angle? I mean, this is also a place for learning from each other, regardless of prior background.

Oh come on. THEY don't have to listen to it over and over again.

OK. That's funny! Thanks. grin

Somewhat more seriously, "they" do, since "they" are probably a committee of teachers who DO have to hear virtually everything on the list over and over again.

It's almost a truism, I would guess, that any piece that winds up "pedagogical," whether or not it was composed for that purpose, will eventually elicit that sensation of "groan, not again."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission