2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have noticed there is one for Chopin, which is great and only right, but not seen one for Beethoven.

I'd like to remedy that! After doing the Coursera course on his sonatas I now fully realise his monumental genius and cannot get enough of him. 3hearts

So where are you hiding fellow Beethovenians? smile

What Beethoven composition moves you and why? What are you listening to or playing right now?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will gladly join! Count me in, fellow Beethovenians! I am presently listening to the complete piano sonatas played by Alfred Brendel. I am playing Sonata Op. 49 #2. Some like referring to it as the "easy" one. I disagree. It may be easy to learn, but requires more to make it sing. Regardless, it is one of my favorites.
As for the Symphonies, I love the 9th, 2nd movement in particular.
I can't get enough of him, either.

Have you seen the film "immortal Beloved" with Gary Oldham playing Beethoven? I love it.

Thanks for starting this.

Barbara
...without music, no life...

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
What a great thread! I just watched a BBC documentary on Beethoven... wonderful! (search YouTube, Charles Hazlewood)

I intend to tackle Op. 49 no. 2 next year smile

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
What a great thread! I just watched a BBC documentary on Beethoven... wonderful! (search YouTube, Charles Hazlewood)

I intend to tackle Op. 49 no. 2 next year smile

The one with Paul Rhys as Beethoven? Yes I liked it too- very moving- but I think they portrayed Beethoven as more angry than he actually was. Did you like the Moonlight Sonata scene? I did!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music Me
I will gladly join! Count me in, fellow Beethovenians! I am presently listening to the complete piano sonatas played by Alfred Brendel. I am playing Sonata Op. 49 #2. Some like referring to it as the "easy" one. I disagree. It may be easy to learn, but requires more to make it sing. Regardless, it is one of my favorites.
As for the Symphonies, I love the 9th, 2nd movement in particular.
I can't get enough of him, either.

Have you seen the film "immortal Beloved" with Gary Oldham playing Beethoven? I love it.

Thanks for starting this.

How are you getting on playing the sonata? I'm a plonkly beginner so still on one paged super easy version of Moonlight!
The symphonies are great! I also love the Egmont Overture.

Yes seen Immortal Beloved but it isn't very accurate historically though I thought Gary Oldman did a good job. Have you seen Copying Beethoven? Again not historically accurate. Have you seen the BBC docu drama on you tube?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info. I will certainly look for the BBC docu-drama and the others. The Sonata is fine. I am working on the nuances and expressions. Although I am not an adult beginner, this is my favorite forum because I identify with all of you. Also, you all share your passion for music, for the piano. This means much more to me than the quibblings about which brand is better than another. I started piano late in life ( as some would say) I was fifteen when I started lessons. I went on to get a degree in music (piano and theory). I have played professionally in a band. Although I am no longer performing I still play and I am learning Jazz Piano which has always been a great love. I look forward to my retirement in four years so I can enjoy the catalogue of music waiting for me to learn and hopefully get to play in a jazz trio.

It is never to late to learn piano. It will keep you young, make your heart sing and give you joy. Go for it!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I am presently listening to the complete piano sonatas played by Alfred Brendel.

1 out of 2.

Regards,

Polyphonist

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

The one with Paul Rhys as Beethoven? Yes I liked it too- very moving- but I think they portrayed Beethoven as more angry than he actually was. Did you like the Moonlight Sonata scene? I did!

Yes that one! Lots of drama, yes, maybe too much. I also watched the Mozart documentary, and that was heartbreaking too. They must have had joyful moments too, these genius composers, right?!?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
love the guy

virtuosos focus only on the sonatas and concertos, but Beethoven was one of the few major composers who also thought of beginners. His marvelous bagatelles come to mind...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
love the guy

virtuosos focus only on the sonatas and concertos, but Beethoven was one of the few major composers who also thought of beginners. His marvelous bagatelles come to mind...

The bagatelles are not for beginners.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Have learned many of the Bagatelles. Really enjoyed them. Each one is a ittle gem! Now learing Piano Sontata Op 2 no 1. It's supposedly not that hard. But, it has given me fits. Learned the 3rd mvt first. That's fun. Then the 1st. That's fun now that I can play it. It took weeks to learn. Now working on mvt 2. Which is gorgeous.

And who doesn't like the Symphonies? Genius. Pure and simple

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
love the guy

ok, middle level, then

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
love the guy

ok, middle level, then

Most of them are not for "middle level" either. They (the Opus 126 bagatelles especially) are very advanced pieces which require a high degree of technical mastery and control, but (more importantly) a musical maturity possessed by almost none but the best pianists.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info. I will certainly look for the BBC docu-drama and the others. The Sonata is fine. I am working on the nuances and expressions. Although I am not an adult beginner, this is my favorite forum because I identify with all of you. Also, you all share your passion for music, for the piano. This means much more to me than the quibblings about which brand is better than another. I started piano late in life ( as some would say) I was fifteen when I started lessons. I went on to get a degree in music (piano and theory). I have played professionally in a band. Although I am no longer performing I still play and I am learning Jazz Piano which has always been a great love. I look forward to my retirement in four years so I can enjoy the catalogue of music waiting for me to learn and hopefully get to play in a jazz trio.

It is never to late to learn piano. It will keep you young, make your heart sing and give you joy. Go for it!

You are inspiring Barbara! Talking about Jazz have you noticed Beethoven does ragtime in sonata no.32?! wow

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Yes that one! Lots of drama, yes, maybe too much. I also watched the Mozart documentary, and that was heartbreaking too. They must have had joyful moments too, these genius composers, right?!?

I watched the Mozart one too- I thought they made up the mysterious man who asked Wolfgang to write that Mass and no it really happened. Spooky.

Yes they both had joyful times- but despite Mozart dying younger I think he had more happier times than Beethoven did. At least Mozart got to marry the woman he loved.

I think they were both fascinating guys- especially Beethoven- much misunderstood as well. When you read what people who knew him said about him, despite his temper ( due to his physical sufferings mostly) it's clear that he was a great hearted person.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/14/13 11:50 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's another Beethoven question- what is your favourite or favourite portraits of him?

I like the one with the lyre- not so much the pose as he looks uncomfortable but the close up of him shows such compelling eyes and expression!

love the guy

I agree. I've learned so very much from his opus 119 - these "trifles" force learning specific technique - you can't play them otherwise. I've loved Beethoven's music for many years but since taking up piano have developed a love for the man (as weird as that sounds) because of the care taken with his teaching pieces.

I've read that his publisher considered the 119 set as trivial and beneath the master. Beethoven had to insist they be published.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Here's another Beethoven question- what is your favourite or favourite portraits of him?

I like the one with the lyre- not so much the pose as he looks uncomfortable but the close up of him shows such compelling eyes and expression!

The photograph was invented during Beethoven's lifetime. If only they had thought to take one of him... mad

Regards,

Polyphonist

What Beethoven composition moves you and why? What are you listening to or playing right now?

Listening to his ninth symphony in its entirety always tears me up - something I rarely do. This open confession, diplomatic debate and perfect musical proof are presented undisguised to the creator - and then when we average humans are expecting a final explosion of anger at the injustice - a heavenly apparition of thanks appears. It's overwhelming.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
EdwardianPiano, I have read your post, here:

Subject: The Love Ludwig van Beethoven thread

I have noticed there is one for Chopin, which is great and only right, but not seen one for Beethoven.

I'd like to remedy that! After doing the Coursera course on his sonatas I now fully realise his monumental genius and cannot get enough of him. 3hearts

You say: I have noticed there is one for Chopin, which is great and only right, but not seen one for Beethoven. I'd like to remedy that! After doing the Coursera course on his sonatas I now fully realise his monumental genius and cannot get enough of him. 3hearts So where are you hiding fellow Beethovenians? smile What Beethoven composition moves you and why? What are you listening to or playing right now?

(Politely spoken) Who is out of step here - you or me! You see, I am a beginner piano player and we are in the < Adult Beginners Forum > .

I am only interested in learning classical music. I can't afford a teacher, but I am working through the John Thompson's method books and have started Book 2. I have been playing for 2 years. I thought I would not bother people about repetoire until I complete Book 3 of the John Thompson books.

However, I would be delighted to learn any classical pieces that are reasonably at my level.
If you suggest any Beethoven pieces, I will gladly rush down to the local music store and purchase the piece/pieces. If I think I can learn them, I will do that. If I think they are a bit above my level, I will gladly put them aside for another day, week, or year.

So please suggest any pieces - and I am out the door going to the music store excited about a new potential challenge.

cheers,

3B14BEET

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission