Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2180111 - 11/10/13 01:43 PM Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better?
Klavimaniac Offline

Loc: NY, Manhattan
I am probably not the first one to wonder if it is a good idea to buy a vintage piano from California and transport it to NYC. The general idea is that soundboards, bridges and pin blocks and some action parts age much more slowly (or not at all?) in the more stable humidity.
So I would like to sample as many first-hand experienced opinions as possible on the subject with the idea of a mini-survey.

A) How strong is this effect if it exists in your opinion? Could it be expressed in years of additional life time over a NY piano?

B) In which regions of the US is this true (e.g. also in other more humidity stable states like the other West coast states, (the Mid-West?) Florida, Nevada or Colorado?

C) How much is transport from California to NY and would it justify the approach if then the instrument would be kept at a stable humidity by means of humidity control devices?

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2180146 - 11/10/13 03:04 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Any vintage piano from west of the Rocky mountains is likely to have fared much better than if it was housed for the same time in the mid-west or atlantic regions. This regional difference is less with newer pianos due to the prevalence of air-conditioning. Pianos near the ocean though can be very damaged from salt. My friend Mark Adams, RPT, says any grand piano west of I-5 in San Diego needs a string cover and damp chaser W/Humidistat.

All of my reconditioned pianos are Seattle residents and they are in extremely well preserved condition. I have a 1915 Steinway B with original board that has great dynamic range, color and sustain.

#2180175 - 11/10/13 04:19 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
What Ed said.

#2180182 - 11/10/13 04:40 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Hi Klavimaniac,

I also agree with Ed's opinions.

If it makes you feel better, I moved my August Förster 190 to NYC from LA in 2004, and it hasn't degraded because of the change in climate. Then again, it is far away from the radiator, I keep the temp at 71 or below in the winter, it is always covered when not in use, it has a Dampp Chaser, and I always run the AC in the summer.

Indoor NYC humidity can range from 17% in the winter to 78% in summer, even in billionaire townhouses and apartments. Get a DC, get a cover, perhaps get a string cover, don't put it anywhere near a heat source, and try to control the room humidity as much as possible.

This advice applies to brand new pianos as well.

#2180738 - 11/11/13 06:52 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: James Carney]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: James Carney

Indoor NYC humidity can range from 17% in the winter to 78% in summer, even in billionaire townhouses and apartments. Get a DC, get a cover, perhaps get a string cover, don't put it anywhere near a heat source, and try to control the room humidity as much as possible.
I have been quite successful at controlling the humidity in my NYC apartment by using just a room humidifier and air conditioner. In fact, my tech says my piano, a Mason BB, is so stable that I could choose to have the piano tuned only once a year although I do it twice per year. I also do not turn the heat on in the room with the piano during the winter.

#2180801 - 11/11/13 10:48 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
Klavimaniac Offline

Thank you for your contributions thus far but I was more interested in the original topic. So rather than a discussion of how to keep a piano happy in NY climate I am interested in buying a really well-kept vintage instrument from the best climate in the US. The soundboard especially would have to have maintained its crown. Thank you Ed for partially answering my original question!

#2180804 - 11/11/13 10:54 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
Miguel Rey Offline

Either way you're going to have to have it checked out with a qualified tech. Also California has many different microclimates from the coast to inland you will see range of average humidity from 70% to 20% and as someone already mentioned there are other issues for coastal areas besides high humidity. I wouldn't focus so much on where the piano comes from so much as the actual condition. I would think New York would have more than enough pianos to choose from.

#2180837 - 11/12/13 01:34 AM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have pianos from both coasts. I think they have all held up reasonably well.

#2180905 - 11/12/13 07:18 AM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Klavimaniac
I am probably not the first one to wonder if it is a good idea to buy a vintage piano from California and transport it to NYC. The general idea is that soundboards, bridges and pin blocks and some action parts age much more slowly (or not at all?) in the more stable humidity.
So I would like to sample as many first-hand experienced opinions as possible on the subject with the idea of a mini-survey.

A) How strong is this effect if it exists in your opinion? Could it be expressed in years of additional life time over a NY piano?

B) In which regions of the US is this true (e.g. also in other more humidity stable states like the other West coast states, (the Mid-West?) Florida, Nevada or Colorado?

C) How much is transport from California to NY and would it justify the approach if then the instrument would be kept at a stable humidity by means of humidity control devices?

A) The difference would be minuscule to non-existant.

B) see answer under "A)"

C) Not justified

For a real bargain, look for a piano from a summer camp that has been stored in an unheated vermin-proof building.
-----

#2181090 - 11/12/13 01:47 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: David Jenson]
Klavimaniac Offline

I apologize for not having fully explained my thinking.

Since I already own two fully restored vintage Steinway grands we don't really need another piano but lately I see more and more nice looking uprights offered for next to nothing. Many of these land on the trash since they just don't sell (that includes old Steinways).

So initially I intended to "rescue" one of these (sometimes beautiful pieces of Americana) and have it rebuilt to spec by really good experts. Without exception, however, all experts I have approached have warned me that the soundboards in these uprights have likely gone limp and that a full renovation including soundboard is done extremely rarely because the (labor)costs far outweigh the final market value. So typically dealers only restore the cabinet, the action and if absolutely necessary the pin block. Then they offer the "fully restored" upright for around 20-25K (see Lindeblad's web site). Now in many cases where the piano is primarily a show piece the actual sound quality is secondary. However my family has three passionate pianists, who would never be satisfied with dead-sounding piano but would be thrilled with a fully restored vintage piece.

So the next best option is to find an upright, which by some miracle has kept its crown over the last 100 or so years. Now these pianos are according to some are much easier to find in the better climate zones (Ed's answer would go into that direction as well). Then the easier work i.e. replacing or restoring the action could be performed by any number of people.

#2181235 - 11/12/13 06:55 PM Re: Survey: Are Californian vintage pianos better? [Re: Klavimaniac]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Klavimaniac

So typically dealers only restore the cabinet, the action and if absolutely necessary the pin block. Then they offer the "fully restored" upright for around 20-25K (see Lindeblad's web site).

I find incredible uprights here on the West coast of Canada.
Similar climate to Seattle.
It is possible to restore a Vintage Upright with a new board
for 25K.
Most of the sound boards we replace are from pianos that came from other distant areas or have been "restored" before.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (anotherscott, angga888, beeboss, alfredo capurso, 36 invisible), 1274 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327489 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission