2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2179707 11/09/13 06:52 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
This afternoon, on All Things Considered (NPR), there was an interesting feature on the casting of piano plates.

Find It Here

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
T
T
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Charles Walter plates are also manufactured there.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Rod,

Do you know if M&H uses Kelly, also?

Marty in Minnesota

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here we have a lot of small foundries that do small to medium sized castings both in iron and in non ferrous metals.

I have never had any ferrous castings made but have had bronze and aluminium cast.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Very nice article. The negative comments below the article are just sad.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano

I agree about the comments.

But, there were many nattering nabobs in this forum, also. People seem to enjoy Steinway bashing as a gleeful, juvenile game. I feel sorry for people with such a negative and cynical attitude.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Hi Marty,

I asked this during a factory tour, and they said no.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Owen!

Marty in Minnesota

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I believe Grotrian uses Kelly as well.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rod,

It is my understanding that they are cast in China.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wimpiano

I agree about the comments.

But, there were many nattering nabobs in this forum, also. People seem to enjoy Steinway bashing as a gleeful, juvenile game. I feel sorry for people with such a negative and cynical attitude.

I looked at some of those -- I always find it interesting how folks with so little factual knowledge about a subject find so many ways to say so much about it.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Rod,

They were cast in China with the name Boston on the plate. I'm not sure how this sits with the FTC's deceptive advertising rules. When Baldwin outsourced its plates to Brazil in '99 they were not cast with the Baldwin made in USA logo. They weren't cast with made in Brazil either.

I'm not sure where the Mason's WNG action is made. I'm guessing it's not West New Guinea.

Mike

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del

I looked at some of those -- I always find it interesting how folks with so little factual knowledge about a subject find so many ways to say so much about it.

ddf

I teach Software Engineering. Naturally, there are a zillion technology websites and blogs with self-proclaimed experts. Students cut-and-paste crappy code--or even good code but designed for other purposes--and then wonder why it doesn't work the way they think it should...

Anyway, I attended a seminar the other day in which the speaker was talking about the fact that the internet had lowered the price of admission--idealistically--but realistically had simply increased the number of "cheap seats." All of a sudden, everyone's an expert... on everything...

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
My Volkswagen's engine did not say "made in Hungary" on it, either. (Or maybe it was made in Mexico. I forget. Haven't forgotten the car, though. It was unforgettable, and not in a good way.)

I think that the "made in wherever" rules apply to finished products, not to individual components. If they applied to components, every product made of more than one part would have scribbling all over it, because parts are outsourced from all over the world. (Where are all those plastic piano key tops from, anyway? I am sure that they are not all made in what is viewed as the piano's country of origin, be it the USA, Austria, Germany, Estonia, or wherever.)

But, Mike, I am sure that you knew all this already. Except about my Volkswagen, of course.

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 11/12/13 09:30 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
RPA,

I doubt if a Volkswagen as you described would have a Made in the USA label without the accompanying qualification, that is, the percentage of the parts made elsewhere.

As I said, I’m not sure how M&H skirts the “all or virtually all” language nor is the fact that Steinway labels an entire line-up of pianos "Boston" lost on me.

But when you apparently have the plate, action, crown retention system, and, in the case of their upright piano, the cabinet made offshore, despite what finishing or assembling that may be done in the US, a clearer picture of the origins may be called for.

Notwhithstanding the fact that FTC’s own language states that there is not a single “bright line”, many of their examples for exclusion from the rule are things like the origin of the metal in the frame surrounding a computer drive, and that is when the frame is actually manufactured in the US. These are not major components.

The FTC also takes into consideration whether or not the imported materials are available in the US. Would OS Kelly be able to make all the plates M&H needed?

Mike

FTC guidelines:

A product that is all or virtually all made in the United States will ordinarily be one in which all significant parts(14) and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin. In other words, where a product is labeled or otherwise advertised with an unqualified "Made in USA" claim, it should contain only a de minimis, or negligible, amount of foreign content. Although there is no single "bright line" to establish when a product is or is not "all or virtually all" made in the United States, there are a number of factors that the Commission will look to in making this determination. To begin with, in order for a product to be considered "all or virtually all" made in the United States, the final assembly or processing of the product must take place in the United States. Beyond this minimum threshold, the Commission will consider other factors, including but not limited to the portion of the product's total manufacturing costs that are attributable to U.S. parts and processing; and how far removed from the finished product any foreign content is.

19 C.F.R. § 134.46. Specifically, this provision provides that:
In any case in which the words "United States," or "American," the letters "U.S.A.," any variation of such words or letters, or the name of any city or locality in the United States, or the name of any foreign country or locality other than the country or locality in which the article was manufactured or produced appear on an imported article or its container, and those words, letters or names may mislead or deceive the ultimate purchaser as to the actual country of origin of the article, there shall appear, legibly and permanently, in close proximity to such words, letters or name, and in at least a comparable size, the name of the country of origin preceded by "Made in," "Product of," or other words of similar meaning.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
Rod,

It is my understanding that they are cast in China.

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Rod,

They were cast in China with the name Boston on the plate.

This reply confuses me.

Why would M&H have a plate cast with the name "Boston" on the plate? Boston is a line of pianos within the "Steinway Family" and has nothing to do with Mason & Hamlin. M&H was the brand in question.

Marty in Minnesota

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Wow. Lots to sort out in Mike's post. First the FTC's "Made in USA" standards are not the same as CBP's country of origin marking standards (of which 19 CFR 134.46, cited by Mike, is a part). Further, even CBP's 19 CFR 134.46 must be read in conjunction with 19 CFR 134.47, which creates a different rule when the non-origin geographic reference is part of a trademark or trade name (such as Steinway's "Boston"). I haven't crawled around a Boston piano, but my guess would be that Steinway does not make a "Made in USA" claim, and that in fact there is a CBP-compliant country of origin marking somewhere on the piano indicating the actual country of origin.

I had a Boston creme pie for my birthday. It didn't come from Boston either!

Larry.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Strangely enough, you can get a Philly Cheese Steak in Manhattan. Kansas, that is.

Marty in Minnesota

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

This reply confuses me.

Why would M&H have a plate cast with the name "Boston" on the plate? Boston is a line of pianos within the "Steinway Family" and has nothing to do with Mason & Hamlin. M&H was the brand in question.

You'll have to ask M&H. Both plate and crown retention system are marked "Boston".

Mike

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission