Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2181141 - 11/12/13 03:43 PM Lou Levy
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Another of my favorite pianists. Similar in style to Russ Freeman, both from the same era of bebop, both from the west coast. My favorite album of Lou Levy's is "Jazz in Four Colors." I have it in LP, I don't think it's available in digital format.

I think Freeman was more prolific over his career, but Lou Levy got around as well and was playing well into the 1970s.

I like Levy because not only can he really put together some bebop lines, but he uses interesting harmonizations and he definitely had his own voice. LIke Freeman, a very versatile musician.

I've got several of his albums. One of those I'm NOT a fan of is the "Ballad of the Sad Cafe". The vocals on it irritate me. I personally feel he shines best in his own quartet or trio.

Here he is with Ella Fitzgerald doing Flying home. Flying Home is based on the "rhythm changes" and if you'd like another version from that same old time era, check out Lionel Hampton's swinging version of it.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2181252 - 11/12/13 07:49 PM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Michael Martinez]
Ken. Offline

#2181362 - 11/13/13 01:18 AM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Michael Martinez]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I remember seeing Lou Levy playing with a combo at Keystone Korner's jazz club in the early 1980's. They had the jazz singer, Leon Thomas if I remember correctly, come on stage and sing a song. He asked Lou Levy to start the song with a piano intro. Somehow it displeased the singer and he exploded in anger and turned and and shouted at Lou Levy that it was wrong and do it differently (I think it was about the tempo). I remember how Lou Levy just smiled and took it calmly and started again at a different tempo. I'll always remember how gracefully he handled the singer who treated him so disrespectfully in front of an audience.

#2181415 - 11/13/13 06:31 AM Re: Lou Levy [Re: rintincop]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Leon Thomas is on one of my favorite Santana albums - Welcome. Love the song "When I Look into your eyes."

#2181624 - 11/13/13 01:39 PM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Michael Martinez]
Michael Martinez Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken.
I really like Lou Levy's playing with Getz live at the Keystone Korner from '81

Yes indeed.

Originally Posted By: rintincop
They had the jazz singer, Leon Thomas if I remember correctly, come on stage and sing a song. He asked Lou Levy to start the song with a piano intro. Somehow it displeased the singer and he exploded in anger and turned and and shouted at Lou Levy that it was wrong

What a tool. Surely Lou Levy thinking the same thing but too much of a professional to say anything.

I believe it was back in the 80s the Steeley Dan guys (Becker and Fagen) wanted to do a jazz album and they got Lou Levy and a couple of sax players to put one together. What a colosally weird project and a strange result. Definitely not Lou Lev in his prime element. I've got the album but I never listen to it because it just doesn't work. It sounds off and Levy sounds like his temperment and rhythmic style doesn't work with the type of music they're trying to do.

I really place Levy squarely in the bebop and post-bebop style where he truly shines.

Edited by Michael Martinez (11/13/13 01:41 PM)

#2181656 - 11/13/13 02:36 PM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Michael Martinez]
Michael Martinez Offline

Time to get mellow

#2181683 - 11/13/13 03:12 PM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Michael Martinez]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
That Fagen/Becker record is Apogee.

There are some pretty burning moments on this imo. A classic rendition by Pete Christlieb on "I'm old fashioned". "Donna lee" along with the Joe Roccasano charts..

Also cool to hear the juxtaposition between Pete & Warne Marsh. Agree that Apogee doesn't showcase Lou's finest work, although he still sounds very good imo. But there were many extenuating circumstances involved around making this record.

I've spoke with bassist Jim Hughart (who played bass on the date) on gigs on several occasions and the recording atmosphere wasn't exactly one of a traditional jazz record date. I'll just say that Fagen & Becker, especially Becker, kept the proceedings a little more pop/rock rigid then a more loose jazz feeling session. So consequently this made most all the players a little more uptight...especially Warne who wasn't used to that kind of scene at all.

I still listen to my vinyl on it...don't think it was ever released as a CD, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I still think a lot of it holds up quite well. The tunes that don't are the Fagen/Becker tunes imo.

Regarding more on Lou--in the 80's and even well into the 90's you could not go out in town here and not run into him somewhere. He literally played 5-6 nights a week. I'd guess I've seen him at least 40-50 times. Super nice guy. A little cold at first but once he knew you, he was as warm and open as could be. A million great stories.

I actually thought he shined best in the role of vocal accompanist in those later years then piano trio soloist. He didn't sound anything like those early records were he was touted as a white Bud Powell in some circles. Beautiful and sensitive vocal accompanist, I learned a lot listening to him work with singers. Like J+ said...he was unflappable.

edit--it does look like there was a CD issued on it
http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-Pete-Christlieb/dp/B0000C24K3

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2181891 - 11/13/13 06:49 PM Re: Lou Levy [Re: Dave Ferris]
Michael Martinez Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
That Fagen/Becker record is Apogee.

Dave - interesting to hear some history on that album. Thanks for sharing. Just listening to it, I could tell something was "off", but of course I didn't know the background. I don't recall if I have the vinyl or CD version. I'll have to take it out sometime and have another listen.

It also seems Levy might have started slowing down in that era? I don't know how old he was - maybe he was getting up in age.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (AndrewJCW, 36251, Baudelaire, barmassimo, a-z0-9, 16 invisible), 1126 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156245 Topics
2294642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
07/29/14 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission