Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2181331 - 11/12/13 11:26 PM Perfection...
Gary Fowler Offline

PERFECTION! It is what I strive for each and every time out. Whether it's tuning a Steinway concert grand, or a cheap spinet piano. My goal is to get A-440 dead on the money. My next goal is to set a perfect temperment. Next, is to tune perfect octaves, and then make unisons as crystal clear as a bell. Even THOUGH, I know,theroetically, it ain't ever gonna be quite perfect, I feel I owe it to my customer to give it my damn level best. If I were not willing to treat my customer's piano as my very own, I need to find a different way to make a living. Somehow, I feel I am not alone.

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2181338 - 11/12/13 11:36 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
You're not. ;-)

#2181428 - 11/13/13 07:13 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Uh, what about stability? I would rather have a piano sound decent in a few months than perfect when I leave. I think what we owe the customer is value. The perfection thing is what we give our own egos. It is important, but needs to be tempered with what the customer is really expecting... and that depends on the customer. Many get their piano tuned because "It's the Right Thing to Do" every 5 or 10 years whether it needs it or not!

#2181443 - 11/13/13 07:58 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
David Boyce Online   content

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
make unisons as crystal clear as a bell.

Since when were bells ever crystal clear? They're full of strange harmonics, some so much so that you can hardly tell the fundamental!

#2181473 - 11/13/13 09:02 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA

Originally Posted By: David Boyce
Quote:

Since when were bells ever crystal clear? They're full of strange harmonics, some so much so that you can hardly tell the fundamental!

Figure of speech. Oxymoron. Can't get much clearer than that. smile

Edited by bkw58 (11/13/13 09:05 AM)

Piano Technicę Blog

#2181487 - 11/13/13 09:34 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
What is as clear as a bell turns out to be an interesting topic when you look into it.

Thank you, David.

Edited by Withindale (11/13/13 09:38 AM)

#2181495 - 11/13/13 09:53 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: bkw58]
Jbyron Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bkw58

Quote:

Yeah, but I don't think David deserves to be called an Oxmoron. laugh

#2181510 - 11/13/13 10:14 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Jbyron]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: Jbyron
Originally Posted By: bkw58

Quote:

Yeah, but I don't think David deserves to be called an Oxmoron. laugh

No, but he's got some "bad ears," man. cool

Piano Technicę Blog

#2181511 - 11/13/13 10:15 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Locking the piano down at precisely 440 every time you tune it in the name of perfection is doing nobody any favours unless you are tuning it every day and more in order to keep it useable with electronics and electrophonics.

By not allowing the piano to float in pitch with the seasons, you are effectively more than doubling the range of pitch drift. The time the piano actually spends at or useably near 440. (or the local pitch standard) is reduced by more than half.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2181518 - 11/13/13 10:28 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: rxd]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: rxd
Locking the piano down at precisely 440 every time you tune it in the name of perfection is doing nobody any favours unless you are tuning it every day and more in order to keep it useable with electronics and electrophonics.

By not allowing the piano to float in pitch with the seasons, you are effectively more than doubling the range of pitch drift. The time the piano actually spends at or useably near 440. (or the local pitch standard) is reduced by more than half.

True. Doesn't contribute much to stability either. (A lesson some of us learn the hard way.)

Piano Technicę Blog

#2181543 - 11/13/13 11:08 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: David Boyce]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:

Very true. I teach handbells. In theory they ring at the fundamental and the 12th, but in practice you can hear them beating, some very much more than others, some so differently that they affect the chord.

#2181714 - 11/13/13 03:47 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: rxd]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Rxd, can you explain this a bit more....as an ETD user only, it's always set at 440 when I go to tune the piano. Is this not a good thing for stability etc?

#2181878 - 11/13/13 06:33 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I believe rxd is referring to it being exactly on A440, +/- 0.0 cents. A virtual impossibility, really.

And, as Jeff said earlier, stability matters.

#2181920 - 11/13/13 08:27 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
David Boyce Online   content

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Very true. I teach handbells. In theory they ring at the fundamental and the 12th, but in practice you can hear them beating, some very much more than others, some so differently that they affect the chord.

And yet there is this persistent piano metaphor of the piano with the 'wonderful, clear, bell-like tone"! One wonders where it came from...

Incidentally, well done for teaching handbells - a charming sound. Though if a piano really sounded like bells, I don't think anyone would buy it!

#2181964 - 11/13/13 10:29 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
As L.A. technician extraordinaire David Anderson once said - "My life became so much better when I gave up striving for perfection and settled for excellence!"

Striving for perfection in piano work puts you on the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder spectrum. Pianos are not perfect - distortions such as false beats, time constraints, quality of piano etc all force compromise. It is best to clearly understand what constitutes a professional quality job. Spending time making things "perfect" may not serve the client well.
www.pianova.net

#2182002 - 11/13/13 11:11 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: rysowers]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rysowers
As L.A. technician extraordinaire David Anderson once said - "My life became so much better when I gave up striving for perfection and settled for excellence!"

Striving for perfection in piano work puts you on the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder spectrum. Pianos are not perfect - distortions such as false beats, time constraints, quality of piano etc all force compromise. It is best to clearly understand what constitutes a professional quality job. Spending time making things "perfect" may not serve the client well.

But, but ,but!

Aren't we all at least a little OCD?

wink

#2182034 - 11/13/13 11:48 PM Re: Perfection... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I do not teach to hear perfection in my course. I find the strain to be counter productive.

I explain the goal, tuning A4 to be exactly 440Hz for example, but I am very clear that what we try to do is identify when we have not attained that goal, and then try to improve.

This leaves perfection, or rather, the striving for perfection, out of the equation, yet the striving for perfection, still the goal.

My belief is that, striving for perfection can lead to frustration and then quiting. While striving for improvement keeps us moving towards perfection.

And what is perfection?

Perfection is when one can no longer hear any room for improvement. Yet, the sensitivity of one's hearing may not be as precise as the sensitivity of another's, or of one's own hearing in the future.

I use the following analogies to explain how one acheives perfection, without striving for it.

Imagine making a snowball; a perfectly round snowball, with no bumps or edges. One would hold the snow ball in one's hands and roll it about, every now and then rubbing off some bump or edge that makes it not round. And in the end, acheive the perfectly round snowball, without trying to make it round, but rather, trying to make it not bumpy.

Or consider a room with a very bright spot light shining down from the ceiling onto a spot on the floor. Imagine that spot is perfection; you want to be there. What happens when you stare at the spot light, trying to figure out where it is shining? Of course, you go blind. Now imagine that instead of looking for the light, you mearly walk about the room, and try to keep away from the shadows. Eventually you find yourself in the spot light, without ever try to be there; you were simply trying to stay out of the shadows.

We use many techniques like this, including the technique of tuning within windows, to allow a more attainable result gauged to the student's present ability, which allows for improvement at the student's own speed.

#2182162 - 11/14/13 08:18 AM Re: Perfection... [Re: OperaTenor]
Emmery Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
Originally Posted By: rysowers

But, but ,but!

Aren't we all at least a little OCD?

wink

I'm definately not OCD....I"m CDO. Its similar to OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order...LIKE THEY SHOULD BE.

There is perfection with tuning to strive for but its not to do with the piano. When your done, its nice to hear the customer say "Perfect, exactly what I wanted".

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (ADWyatt, accordeur, Alkanaut, 36251, Almaviva, 46 invisible), 1458 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251237 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
10 minutes 33 seconds ago
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission