Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2181494 - 11/13/13 09:53 AM Clocking in for so many hours a day
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Is this a bad idea to apply to practicing? Almost treating it like a job and clicking in for so many hours a day instead of practicing sporadically and when I feel like it? I feel like I am doing too much and in the same token it seems like never enough if that makes any sense.

Edited by findingnemo2010 (11/13/13 10:02 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2181521 - 11/13/13 10:31 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Clocking in has a negative connotation - like going to work. But I practice at about the same time everyday for about the same amount of time every day. So in a sense, I am "clocking in". It's a good habit to have...

Sam

#2181523 - 11/13/13 10:32 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Nothing wrong with a routine, in fact, that will help you develop better practicing habits if you can do it the same time every day. This also an ensure that you get in enough time each day. My schedule is such that is not always possible, so I do it whenever I can.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2181529 - 11/13/13 10:36 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: Sam S]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Clocking in has a negative connotation - like going to work. But I practice at about the same time everyday for about the same amount of time every day. So in a sense, I am "clocking in". It's a good habit to have...

Sam

I was thinking the same thing. I do not want to treat it like a job or work but just trying different ways to help my progress.

#2181545 - 11/13/13 11:11 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
plunkit Offline

I do that. I use a timer and even keep track of "time in". I check up on myself to see if I need to move some other stuff out of the way in order to keep first things first.

I tell myself this will get less important when I am enjoying my playing more, because then I will just want to play all the time. So far that hasn't happened. What has happened is I am getting better, and also getting more able to go directly to what I want to hear. That is, I am more aware of the piano and more aware of what delights me or intrigues me musically.

I used to go with the "practice when you feel like it" program. Then I saw a movie about (I think it was) Beethoven. His dad beat him with a stick when the young Beethoven didn't complete his lesson for the day. I don't use a stick but there is some use for being determined. It's kind of a favor to myself. A way of saying, "If it's important to me, then I will give time to it. It is my life."

#2181576 - 11/13/13 11:56 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: plunkit]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: plunkit
I do that. I use a timer and even keep track of "time in". I check up on myself to see if I need to move some other stuff out of the way in order to keep first things first.

I tell myself this will get less important when I am enjoying my playing more, because then I will just want to play all the time. So far that hasn't happened. What has happened is I am getting better, and also getting more able to go directly to what I want to hear. That is, I am more aware of the piano and more aware of what delights me or intrigues me musically.

I used to go with the "practice when you feel like it" program. Then I saw a movie about (I think it was) Beethoven. His dad beat him with a stick when the young Beethoven didn't complete his lesson for the day. I don't use a stick but there is some use for being determined. It's kind of a favor to myself. A way of saying, "If it's important to me, then I will give time to it. It is my life."

Cool. I did not know that. That must be why he was so good. I also watched a movie the other day and a musician said it should never seem like work. I am trying to think of it in that light now. I'd be lying though to say it is easy and some of it doesn't feel like work when it does, to me at least. I was reading the other day as well and the book said classical music and music of that era was performed and played so wel because it was before the days of the phonograph, tape deck, radio and easy transportation. It hadn't occurred to me that that was why music was so strict and by the book and performed so well because in those days before records, the Internet, cable. Those were the only means to hear good music played well because you had to perform it yourself or go see it live. If that makes any sense.

Edited by findingnemo2010 (11/13/13 12:01 PM)

#2181590 - 11/13/13 12:17 PM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
findingnemo2010, I have read your post, here:

subject: Clocking in for so many hours a day

Is this a bad idea to apply to practicing? Almost treating it like a job and clicking in for so many hours a day instead of practicing sporadically and when I feel like it? I feel like I am doing too much and in the same token it seems like never enough if that makes any sense.

_____

The mystery of your post will forever be a mystery unless you reveal what you have learned and how well you have learned.

Nothing is ever an bad idea.

findingnemo, when you say Clocking in for so many hours a day - Is this a bad idea to apply to practicing? Almost treating it like a job and clicking in for so many hours a day instead of practicing sporadically and when I feel like it?

It begs the question: What are you doing?

You and I both know that to learn to play the piano, you have to play the pieces so slowly that never make a mistake else you have to spend lots of time training your brain to play the piece correctly.

So when I sit down to practice my pieces of 16 measures each, if I play them too many times - like 12 times, I start to make mistakes, but you may be different because I am old and not very bright, so everything is difficult for me to learn anything. So it helps to tell me and everybody in the forum what you are doing and having trouble with so they can understand how they can help you.

cheers,

3N13HE

#2181913 - 11/13/13 07:58 PM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: findingnemo2010
Is this a bad idea to apply to practicing? Almost treating it like a job and clicking in for so many hours a day instead of practicing sporadically and when I feel like it?

I suspect we all have days when we feel like we are forcing our practice, but most of the time I don't even think about it. I just look at the challenges I have set and work slowly towards them and find pleasure in whatever small rewards I get back.

Initially I practiced sporadically but now I have a set schedule which I have written down. For me having an order to my practice sessions makes me feel more secure that I am working well and addressing multiple problem areas. This may make it seem more job like but has the opposite effect. Rather than feeling like work, by the end of the day I can say I have covered everything in detail I wanted to and that is pretty re-assuring I have done the best I can.

I feel like I am doing too much and in the same token it seems like never enough if that makes any sense.

Definitely agree this is how I feel as well. Trying to keep a balance between ambition and reality is a struggle. I often take too many steps forward and have to take a few back just to keep from crashing and destroying this thing I enjoy so much.

#2182159 - 11/14/13 08:11 AM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: earlofmar]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I use a timer when I practice, and practice in 30 minute increments. After 30 minutes I stop the timer and take a break, do something else, go for a walk, etc. Then I start the timer again and "clock in" so to speak. This works well for me because I keep myself from over working a section and making mistakes, and I end up with a tally of total time spent on the bench in a day. I don't see it as clocking in to a job, in a negative sense, but more as a "now it is time to focus" reminder. Practicing correctly is work, but rewarding work.

#2182371 - 11/14/13 03:51 PM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Not a bad job to have because like many said it can be rewarding maybe a bit excessive. It's got to be a great way to advance instead of just playing "when we feel like it".

#2182462 - 11/14/13 07:37 PM Re: Clocking in for so many hours a day [Re: findingnemo2010]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA

GOOD: developing regularity and consistency. It gets you somewhere. Without the clocking, you get subjective habits that fade during difficult efforts.

BAD: feels like a joyless existence or routine. It points to a deficit in personal satisfaction with the task.

UGLY: Inwardly you must question if you really want to be doing what you are doing.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (AimeeO, Alex1, a-z0-9, 45 invisible), 1684 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292463 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
07/23/14 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
07/23/14 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
07/23/14 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
07/23/14 07:59 PM
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
07/23/14 07:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission