2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
calling an amateur availing him or herself if this facility a "blatant cheat" seems a bit extreme.

Well it's certainly dishonest if it's not acknowledged. I realize it's not a competition but when a piece is posted then one assumes the person posting can actually play it as represented. Sorry if this offends you but clipping and enhancing the ambience is a lot different IMO than recording hands separate and putting them together via software or mechanics. And for the record I wasn't accusing anyone it was academic not judgmental. You're correct it's to be enjoyed and I do enjoy them. I think I must have hit a nerve or two. smile

Yea, when I think of "splicing" I think of recording a number of times then picking out different sections that worked and splicing the whole thing together. I would imagine that some pros do that. It's fairly easy and hard to pick up on, especially if there are pauses. I would call that a "constructed recording". (And again, I have absolutely no problem with that and would do it if I had to for a good recording. But I would not do it for a "recital" piece.) More like a collage than a true performance. Playing one hand and then recording the other would be more of an "overdubbing".

And I agree, in the end we are all doing "recordings" as I doubt there are too many of us that can get the job done in one take. A true recital would be..."Here I go, one take, live..." I think I'll have to sit back and watch if we ever go there. I've been in a few true recitals and can you spell "panic attack"? smile

Last edited by Peyton; 11/11/13 05:44 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have yet to see a live piano performance in which the pianist performs their piece in layered, 'multi-track' sections. Probably because this would not be a solo piano performance but rather a display in multi-track recording and overlaying.

There is no grey area here. Your submitted performance is either a single pass recording (irregardless of how many 'takes' it took to get it), or it's not.

We have never limited the recitals to 'solo piano' only, but we have been VERY clear about representing your true abilities when it comes to your submitted performances.

Personally, I don't see the compatibility with layering (overlaying) anything as this is a beginners forum. If you don't have the ability to play a difficult section, or it is more complicated than your abilities then you are only fooling yourself (and everyone else) that you can play it by overlaying it.

A better suggestion may be to spend more time actually learning the section that is being overlay-ed, or choose a piece that better represents your abilities.

Now let's be clear, I am NOT talking about added in flute or strings sections. You know what I mean.

I'm not even talking about a piece that calls for three hands, so you overlay-ed the third (and disclosed it).

I'm only talking about recording a 2-handed performance in sections, and then splicing it all together and presenting it to us as a one take recording. That's cheating (technically, misrepresentation).

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I've barely had time to touch the piano for the last 10 days! Mamma mia.

I hope I can have a calm moment tomorrow for recording!

"Calm moments" are out there. From my research, it appears that they come about the day after you submit!

But hey, at least they are out there! Sanity WILL prevail. When?, the day after you submit!

Sanity is already returning.
We finished stage 1 of the kitchen renovations, I conquered the software for updating my GPS (which ate up 2 days of my time...how sad!) AND we went away for a 4 day weekend.(Wonderful!)

This coming week is going to be pretty tame smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Peyton

Yea, when I think of "splicing" I think of recording a number of times then picking out different sections that worked and splicing the whole thing together. I would imagine that some pros do that.

Yes, of course they do. They may also be playing to a click. And sometimes even -- unbeknownst to the audience -- be playing to a click in live performances.

My feeling is that your recording should be in keeping with the spirit of the recital, which I believe, is to show your progress to date with the piece you have chosen. Over doctoring your submission, would not be in keeping with this spirit.

However, pasting a couple of major sections together to get a decent recording ... personally, I have no problem with that. I agree though, that it can easily become a grey area and preference should always be towards a single pass.

just my two bits though

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm just catching up on this conversation. I'm glad I posted when I did.

Just to be clear I recorded my piece for this recital then recorded over it to get in the part that I believe was written for a "3rd hand". I just made up that "3rd hand" term. It's not in the sheet music I have or anything.

One of the first copies I saw of this piece was on a You Tube video of a garage band recording and it was written as three tracks played together. So that is where I got the idea of using the 3rd hand. I imagine a skilled pianist could play this part with 2 hands, but it is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm happy I disclosed this before this discussion about disclosing this sort of recording. To be honest my piano playing is so weak it's not going to fool anyone no matter what kind of recording techniques I might use.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Copper

Just to be clear I recorded my piece for this recital then recorded over it to get in the part that I believe was written for a "3rd hand". I just made up that "3rd hand" term. It's not in the sheet music I have or anything.

One of the first copies I saw of this piece was on a You Tube video of a garage band recording and it was written as three tracks played together. So that is where I got the idea of using the 3rd hand. I imagine a skilled pianist could play this part with 2 hands, but it is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm happy I disclosed this before this discussion about disclosing this sort of recording. To be honest my piano playing is so weak it's not going to fool anyone no matter what kind of recording techniques I might use.

Don`t worry man! Just have fun. Some folk actually take music seriously . . . .!! smile

Last edited by peterws; 11/12/13 06:44 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, I'm in.
But the sound quality is not good...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Glad you made it CarlosCC, looking forward to hearing all the Einaudi pieces, who, by slim margin is the most popular composer of this recital

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Copper

Copper, I'm glad you disclosed (up front) what you did so there was absolutely no miscommunication or misrepresentation whatsoever. That's the correct way to do it.

My only general concern is that more and more people are overlaying (multi-track recording) sections of their performance and handing it in as their finished product. Some disclose this, and some don't.

Once again, the momentum of the actions taken when this is done is not in the spirit and not compatible with the intentions of a 'beginner' learning forum. (overlaying sections that are beyond your current playing abilities). Others may disagree with me on this but after building many custom homes, I can honestly say that it doesn't matter how nice anything else on the house is if you didn't get the foundation right. You will fight that problem forever.

'Overylaying', (multi-track recording), may also intimidate other performers who can't produce these 'enhanced' musically performed sections because they don't have these photo sound shop capabilities.

We probably should just fine-tune a few of the (thankfully) barely noticeable rules that we have and just state that full (and honest) disclosure be done.

The thing is, we already have a HUGE, unfair advantage doing an 'e-cital' as opposed to a live one since we have literally unlimited takes to get a decent recording. The people who must misrepresent their abilities by not disclosing their editing are being unfair to everyone participating.

We already have the home field/dealers advantage. No need to ask for more.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Alas, even splicing or overlaying won't save me :\

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Well, I realized I wouldn't have time to record anything better than what I had in the can already so there it is, #41.

Wow, it's a Debussy packed recital - 5 pieces so far! Looking forward to the weekend ....

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Glad you made it CarlosCC, looking forward to hearing all the Einaudi pieces, who, by slim margin is the most popular composer of this recital

Well, I think I still have some energy to record my piece again using a different combination of hardware. I don't like the noise that is heard during the piece.
Anyway, the piece was submitted and I will not delete it (+1 for Einaudi)

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Well, I think I still have some energy to record my piece again using a different combination of hardware. I don't like the noise that is heard during the piece.

If you let your recording run for a few seconds before starting to play, Audacity has a great plugin that will sample this ambient noise and then filter it out of the entire recording. You may lose a little overall tone in the process, but it's fantastic for reducing hiss.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing
I was three hours trying to record the piece from the piano to the computer...
The final sound has a background noise that sounds like a radio of the 40s ... The problem seems to be the drivers of the computer - a new computer! - and I do not have privileges to install the newest drivers because it's a company computer and the configuration is protected.

I'm really angry and sad... frown

Those so-and-sos. You should demand that they give you studio time again! smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Oh, the many times I played nearly completely thought only to blow it right at the end.

I wound up doing the opposite... flubbed on the very first measure, but decided to plow forward anyway, and that was my final take.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

If you let your recording run for a few seconds before starting to play, Audacity has a great plugin that will sample this ambient noise and then filter it out of the entire recording. You may lose a little overall tone in the process, but it's fantastic for reducing hiss.

Will filter out the sound of a washing machine running on the other side of the wall? :-)

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In @ #43, right after Cheryl.

Cheryl -- Please, please, please, don't re-record. I do NOT want to follow Dr Gradus ad Parnassum. cool

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Will filter out the sound of a washing machine running on the other side of the wall? :-)

Give it a try, it just might... along with all the harmonics of the piano in that same range.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing mad cursing
I was three hours trying to record the piece from the piano to the computer...
The final sound has a background noise that sounds like a radio of the 40s ... The problem seems to be the drivers of the computer - a new computer! - and I do not have privileges to install the newest drivers because it's a company computer and the configuration is protected.

I'm really angry and sad... frown

Those so-and-sos. You should demand that they give you studio time again! smile

Btw, I requested some help to the studio guy and he told me that most of (new) computers doesn't have good soundboards. "That's why people work in studios..." he said... Anyway, he offered his studio for an hour, but he could only work with me next Saturday - too late for the recital!! frown

Thanks for the tips thumb. The problem is limited to some "pops" and "clicks" and I used Audicity and other free tools with all the filters and possible options, but the root cause is the soundcard... So, my last chance is to recover my old desktop computer and try again.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
In @ #43, right after Cheryl.

Cheryl -- Please, please, please, don't re-record. I do NOT want to follow Dr Gradus ad Parnassum. cool

I wouldn't worry too much! smile

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission