Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2181686 - 11/13/13 03:17 PM Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Recorded 13 November, 2013;
Estonia 190, Zoom H4, "Normalized" on Audacity.

Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#2181732 - 11/13/13 04:02 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Great work, Bruce! I wouldn't mind hearing the pre-normalized version, though. This sounds a little bass-heavy to me.

#2181799 - 11/13/13 04:58 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks Bruce, I enjoyed it! I too wonder what the pre-normalized version sounds like.

Nothing beats hearing it live on your Estonia however.

#2181863 - 11/13/13 06:15 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

1) I have played this piece since 1975.

2) The reason everyone teaches this piece is to convey the concept of tempo rubato.

3) As previously stated, the premier theoretician Robert Ottman spent have of his Harmonic Analysis course using this piece.

Why?: Because, among other things, the composer inverts melodies and also switches them to the left hand. That is why when you listen to the Glenn Gould recording, you hear these various compositional elements.

So, why, in God's green earth would you pick this piece to "Normalize?"

It sounds mechanical, dull, and very few, if any of the compositional nuances of this great piece can be heard.

One mo time. And, listen to it sing! And, once again (I DO NOT PLAY IT THIS WAY!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JwKDzPlYQs

#2181894 - 11/13/13 07:03 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mr. Podesta - I realize the is an obsession for you but please you have to stop.

1) "normalize" is what Bruce applied to the recording software and has nothing to do with his performance.

2) You show complete disrespect to the OP and frankly to the rest of the members when you post another recording on a personal recording thread implying that one should "play it this way".

Again, please stop doing this.

#2181912 - 11/13/13 07:55 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
[...]So, why, in God's green earth would you pick this piece to "Normalize?"

For the uninformed, in Audacity, "normalize"

Use the Normalize effect to set the maximum amplitude of a track, equalize the amplitudes of the left and right channels of a stereo track and optionally remove any DC Offset from the track.

You may not like my performance, that's your taste, but your rant about "normalize" is totally out of place because you don't know what the term means in the context in which it was used. It's simply a function that optimizes the volume in each channel and balances the two channels in a recording. Without using the effect, volume levels on many host sites are often too low to be sufficiently heard.

#2181930 - 11/13/13 09:09 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

2) The reason everyone teaches this piece is to convey the concept of tempo rubato.

Is that right? Everyone? I'm sorry, but you have no clue.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2181933 - 11/13/13 09:20 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Nice job, Bruce. It sounds as if you put a lot of work into this. I would like to hear you take a little time (stretch things) in different spots. I'm not talking about rubato, but stretching the line. Think and breathe as a singer would. I think this has the potential to be very, very good. I wish I could work with you on it.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2181934 - 11/13/13 09:23 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Good job.

#2181990 - 11/13/13 10:55 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Very nicely done, Bruce. Authentic and convincing. I listened twice, in fact, and enjoyed it both times! grin Thank you for sharing. This is one of my favorite Brahms pieces to listen to! smile

--Andy

#2182007 - 11/13/13 11:17 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
AnneJ Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
Very nice Bruce. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed listening to you.

Anne

#2182127 - 11/14/13 07:00 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Great job, Bruce. What is it that draws so many of us to this piece? I was inspired by Pogo's recording of it some time ago, and have been working on it for months with only minor success. The middle section is most problematic: How to maintain that purity of tone in the right hand while keeping those left hand triplets subdued. You did it beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

#2182199 - 11/14/13 09:34 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, BruceD -- first time I've heard you play! IMO, a beautiful presentation -- I thought you did an especially nice job of shaping the singing line, and providing exquisite voicing of the considerable harmonic subtleties throughout. You projected a very natural, unmannered sadness as the "song" unfolded, and there were no inconsistencies in the flow. Actually, I do recommend listening to the Gould recording that Louis Podesta provided, just to get a taste of possible alternative voicings and movement, particularly in the left hand. Both Gould and Horowitz were especially good at projecting shapes and lines typically left unexplored; and, while I prefer your interpretation of this piece to Gould's, I find his conception quite refreshing to listen to, not willfully eccentric.

Thanks for sharing this!

#2182360 - 11/14/13 03:22 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I finally got a chance to listen to this. Thank you for sharing, Bruce. It was very nice to listen to, and like Tim said, I have the same preference. smile

The only comment I have actually has nothing to do with your playing. Something in the recording makes it sound just a little muffled (very minor). I think, as a result, some of the tones die a little too quickly, but clearly that's not how you played it. Unfortunately, I'm not enough of a sound expert to offer a guess as to what may have caused that. The noise removal feature, maybe?

#2182376 - 11/14/13 04:02 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bruce thank you for sharing. Very well played. You have really put some considerable effort into this piece.

As for the normalize thing, it is no secret that I strictly object it being used on classical music. Never in fact.
Especially this piece is built on contrasting dynamic levels and fine nuances. With normalize almost all of this is lost.
So please if possible post a not normalized natural recording.
It is the industry standard for single track classical music recording.

On a last note, your playing would sound better if the piano was tuned.

I enjoyed listening to your performance and had it not been normalized I would have been able to give more feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2182401 - 11/14/13 05:15 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Hakki]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Hakki--

I am curious. Are you perhaps confusing "normalization" with "compression"? It is my understanding that compression can kill dynamics when used improperly, while normalization does not.

--Andy

#2182437 - 11/14/13 06:27 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

Use the Normalize effect to set the maximum amplitude of a track, equalize the amplitudes of the left and right channels of a stereo track and optionally remove any DC Offset from the track.

You may not like my performance, that's your taste, but your rant about "normalize" is totally out of place because you don't know what the term means in the context in which it was used. It's simply a function that optimizes the volume in each channel and balances the two channels in a recording. Without using the effect, volume levels on many host sites are often too low to be sufficiently heard.

1) I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because other posts requested an un-normalized version.

2) There are dozens of Carl Friedberg, Adelina de Lara and Etelka Freund recordings which illustrate the essence of the elasticity and the voicing of Brahms piano music. And, all of these people were personally coached by Brahms! For them, it was not a matter of "taste."

3) Hey, Pogo, no guts no glory.

#2182441 - 11/14/13 06:47 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: stores]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
Nice job, Bruce. It sounds as if you put a lot of work into this. I would like to hear you take a little time (stretch things) in different spots. I'm not talking about rubato, but stretching the line. Think and breathe as a singer would. I think this has the potential to be very, very good. I wish I could work with you on it.

There's always Skype.

#2182451 - 11/14/13 07:11 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: BruceD

1) I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because other posts requested an un-normalized version.

2) There are dozens of Carl Friedberg, Adelina de Lara and Etelka Freund recordings which illustrate the essence of the elasticity and the voicing of Brahms piano music. And, all of these people were personally coached by Brahms! For them, it was not a matter of "taste."

3) Hey, Pogo, no guts no glory.

Dear Lord, are you still talking about this "pupils of Brahms" poppycock? Give it a rest, for everyone's sake! Music is free to be interpreted as one wishes - nobody cares for your rhetoric anymore.

I enjoyed your perfomance, Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

#2182460 - 11/14/13 07:27 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: TheHappyMoron]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TheHappyMoron

Music is free to be interpreted as one wishes - nobody cares for your rhetoric anymore.

Do you even read what you are writing? Your philosophy, as is mine, was that of the 19th century, i.e. Brahms, Chopin, and Schumann.

That is why, unlike today's interpretation, they translated the composed piece along with the performance work.

#2182616 - 11/15/13 02:35 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
A well thought out and very musical interpretation of this beautiful work. You do so many things extremely well here. I did miss hearing several notes in the LH (could be the recording or whatever). Also - the polyrhythms in measures 49-56 and 65-72 could still use a little more work. I'm sure you are aware of this, however. smile

Thanks for sharing !!

#2182618 - 11/15/13 02:37 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Hakki--

I am curious. Are you perhaps confusing "normalization" with "compression"? It is my understanding that compression can kill dynamics when used improperly, while normalization does not.

--Andy

No I mean normalizing.
The stereo image is formed by the pressure differences of the xy mics of the Zoom H4. It is crucial to preserve the balance between channels.
Since Zoom is a quality device no DC offset is expected. Bruce should simply use an amplify effect to increase the levels of both channels exactly the same preserving the balance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2182684 - 11/15/13 07:56 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Hakki]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Hakki--

--Andy

No I mean normalizing.
The stereo image is formed by the pressure differences of the xy mics of the Zoom H4. It is crucial to preserve the balance between channels.
Since Zoom is a quality device no DC offset is expected. Bruce should simply use an amplify effect to increase the levels of both channels exactly the same preserving the balance.

I agree that normalizing isn't necessary or desirable in classical recording. In fact, there should be very little needed when using the Zoom if you have the placement where you want it. I have found putting the unit on a mic stand and placing it above my head gets the best sound, but experiment with having it in different areas to see what sounds best for your instrument and room.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2182830 - 11/15/13 01:22 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
BruceD Online   content

These are all interesting observations about "normalizing" or not "normalizing."

Funny how we - should I just say "I"? - sometimes get into a rut that works without experimenting to see if stepping out of the rut works better. I had always been told that, when using the Audacity program, one should normalize the recording primarily for satisfactory playback volume, particularly for transfer to CD. Accepting that as the norm, I've not experimented with doing anything else.

I'll listen to the "non-normalized" version and, apart from drop in volume level, if I hear any marked difference in sound quality I may post that version.

Thanks for all your input.

Regards,

#2183001 - 11/15/13 06:11 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is another recording of someone who was not coached by Brahms. I just heard this for the first time, and it very similar to the way I play this piece, arpeggiation and all.

Please listen to the "Bel Canto Aria" approach this pianist takes to the work. That means, it sings and it has the elasticity of movement the OP's recording does not.

It is called Brahms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9P2WO9Ok0

#2183044 - 11/15/13 07:32 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here is another recording of someone who was not coached by Brahms. I just heard this for the first time, and it very similar to the way I play this piece, arpeggiation and all.

Please listen to the "Bel Canto Aria" approach this pianist takes to the work. That means, it sings and it has the elasticity of movement the OP's recording does not.

It is called Brahms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9P2WO9Ok0

#2183294 - 11/16/13 10:21 AM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA

So why must we put up with a cheap imitation of your playing from Gieseking? Post!

#2183438 - 11/16/13 03:09 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Old Man]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Old Man

So why must we put up with a cheap imitation of your playing from Gieseking? Post!

laugh

#2183440 - 11/16/13 03:11 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: BruceD]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Again, great work Bruce!

#2183540 - 11/16/13 07:08 PM Re: Brahms: Intermezzo, Op 118, No 2 [Re: Old Man]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Old Man

Another recording, which has no arpeggiation whatsoever, however he is asynchronizing his bass line, just like Philippe Entremont has done for 50 years, but I digress.

Please listen and learn, if you want to know what Brahms is supposed to sound like, in terms of the aforementioned elasticity, in regards tempo rubato.

Part of the genius of this composer is that he fit the philosophy of Romanticism into a strictly Classical Period format.

Billy Idol's guitar player, who is a graduate of the "La Guardia School For The Performing Arts," did the same thing. Go figure.

And, remember: no arpeggiation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxYlyZ3j3Ok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (Atrys, 3rd Ear, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1130 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission