Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2182490 - 11/14/13 09:10 PM Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 32nd quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #32 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Zip 1
Zip 2
Zip 3
Zip 4
Zip 5
Zip 6
Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2182493 - 11/14/13 09:17 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Edtek
Experience:3.5 yrs
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Someone to Watch Over Me
Composer:Gershwin
Duration:01:31
Source of music:Top 50 Standards Easy Piano, Dan Coates arrangements
Instrument used:Yamaha P105 digital
Recording method:direct audio from kb to PC running WavePad
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I love the standards, even in easy arrangements.

#2182494 - 11/14/13 09:18 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:just over 4 years
Title of piece:The way it is
Composer:Bruce Hornsby
Duration:05:33
Source of music:sheet music arr. by Ernst Traag
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This piece was a pop music hit in 1986. Here's the lyrics, it's about the social security system in the US:
A man in a silk suit hurries by
As he catches the poor old lady's eyes
Just for fun he says, "Get a job"

* That's just the way it is
Some things will never change
Ah, but don't you believe them

Said, 'Hey little boy you can't go
Where the others go
Cause you don't look like they do'
Said, 'Hey, old man how can you stand
To think that way
Did you really think about it
Before you made the rules?'
He said, 'Son
Well they passed a law in '64
To give those who ain't got a little more
But it only goes so far because the law don't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time is the line on the color bar

The structure of the piece is quite complex for a pop tune. We have a beautiful introduction that sets the mood without having the fixed beat. Then the beat starts and we we get the three verses and refrains and two solos. There are a number of distinctive short repeated figures associated with parts in the refrain, and more melodic music for the verse. And of course there are two great solos with 4 against 3 rythms, syncopations and very tricky rythms.
Playing this without a band (drums, bass, voice) behind makes it harder to bring convincing, as the piano now has to play more beautifully (more careful about intonation and more dynamics) and also has to stick with the beat somehow to give the drive.
One of our forum members dave frank gave an almost-two hour-long workshop on just this piece a few years ago:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6029404

#2182495 - 11/14/13 09:18 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:7 years 10 months since returning. Lots as a kid.
Title of piece:Henselt Little Waltz Op.28 No.1
Composer:Adolf von Henselt
Duration:02:33
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Piano line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No edits.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Adolf von Henselt (1814-1889) wrote this delightful little waltz in 1854. Hope you like it.

#2182497 - 11/14/13 09:19 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:sinophilia (Diana)
Experience:1 year 8 months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShge8z6cjo
Title of piece:Gigue a l'anglaise
Composer:Georg Philipp Telemann
Duration:01:19
Source of music:Pianist magazine
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-135
Recording method:digital to Mac
Additional info:I picked this little Baroque piece from the beginner section of Pianist magazine. Their recording is faster and more staccato, but I didn't really like it that way. Anyway, I cannot play it faster and at the same time maintain a certain elegance, and not mess up the dynamics completely.

I recorded it on the digital but also tried it on the acoustic a couple of times. The YouTube link takes to a crappy iPhone recording, where you can see how badly I bend the tip of my 3rd finger laugh

#2182498 - 11/14/13 09:20 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Frycek
Experience:About 10 years as a kid and another 10 as an adult with about 35 pianoless years in between
Title of piece:Prelude Op 28 nr 24
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:31
Source of music:Henle Chopin Preludes
Instrument used:1937 Kurtzmann small grand
Recording method:Zoom

#2182499 - 11/14/13 09:20 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Greener | Jeff Green
Experience:Dabbling for years. Applying myself more since joining PianoWorld.
Title of piece:Chorale from Cantata No. 147
Composer:Bach
Duration:03:50
Source of music:Sheet music, memorized.
Instrument used:Heintzman, Normandie, Acoustic Upright
Recording method:2 mics, Pre-amp to Audacity
Additional info:I was shown a short, simplified and incomplete extract from this chorale at a young age. I always liked it and enjoyed playing it. Fast forward many years ... when I heard the complete Hess arrangement (performed here at PW,) I wanted to learn it. We discussed it briefly on the Sonata Analysis thread and following that, I slowly began working on it.

I very nearly gave up on this one, but happy now to have managed with it this far. Once I've overcome the aggravation of learning one of his works, I find Bach is tremendous fun to play.

Thank you for listening.

About this work:
"Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" is the most common English title of the 10th and last movement of the cantata Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben, BWV 147, composed by Johann Sebastian Bach in 1716 and 1723. Written during his first year in Leipzig, Germany, this chorale movement is one of Bach's most enduring works.

A transcription by the English pianist Myra Hess (1890 - 1965) was published in 1926 for piano solo and in 1934 for piano duet.

Today, it is often performed at wedding ceremonies as well as during Christian festive seasons like Christmas and Easter Sunday slowly and reverently.

Contrary to the common assumption, the violinist and composer Johann Schop, not Bach, composed the movement's underlying chorale melody; Bach's contribution was to harmonize and orchestrate it. The frequent use of arrangements of the piece in modern weddings is in no way related to its scope or Bach's intent for it. Rather, it was one segment of an extended, approximately 20-minute treatment of a traditional Church hymn, as is typical of cantatas of the Baroque period.

#2182500 - 11/14/13 09:21 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child back in the Philippines but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about three years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons and this is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally. My early training lacked this intellectual component. Members' posts that I've read here on ABF highlight its importance. Current areas I would like to work on: gaining some music theory and patching up holes in technique (e.g., playing scales). I have not had a piano teacher since I started relearning the piano, but would like to work with one in the near future. Unfortunately, it is hard to find a teacher in my area who is open to taking on an adult at an intermediate level. I am willing to start, however, at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc..
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4nN4j2OtQ
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Prelude in G Major, Op. 32 No. 5
Composer:Sergei Rachmaninov
Duration:03:13
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Zoom H4N (audio) with Kodak Zi8 (video)
Additional info:I'd like to first give my heartfelt thanks to the following who gave such generous comments about my Chopin nocturne contribution in last August's recital: Monica K., SwissMiss, AimeeO, casinitaly, Allard, dynamobt, peterws, Andy Platt, CarlosCC, Mr Super-Hunky, CMohr, aTallGuyNH, SAnnM AB-2001, sinophilia, JimF, MaryBee, jotur, stumbler, Greener, Inlanding, Augustina, and Anne H.. I hope I have not missed anyone. Though I wasn't able to post comments like I did in the May recital, I hope to be able to do so this time. Again thank you so much! Many thanks as well to Monica K. and Sam S. for their tireless work in administering the recital.

This is the very first Rachmaninov piece I've completed. There were two others that I've attempted but abandoned because they proved to be beyond my current skills. It was rather fulfilling though to have completed this prelude because I simply adore Rachmaninov!! :-) I love the piece's soaring singing line and accompaniment that, for me, is reminiscent of a babbling brook. Since I do not possess the requisite expert language to introduce this prelude, I thought I'd quote from two accounts of it.

From "An Annotated Catalogue of the Major Piano Works of Sergei Rachmaninoff", a treatise by Angela Glover:

"This quiet, mysterious prelude contrasts significantly with the rest of the Opus. "It evokes the idyllic peace and purity of the Elysian Fields" and is a "kind of fantasy in keeping with the song cycle without words character that exists in these later preludes" (Ashkenazy) ... This work is primarily musically challenging. The pianist must be sensitive in presenting the smooth, melodic line while keeping the accompanying, rhythmical figure delicate and even, especially in sections containing cross rhythms. Restraint must be used to create the calm mood and control the sound in leggiero sections. In addition to this the pianist must use rhythmic control, show dynamic contrasts and maintain tonal balance (LaMagra 152-163)."

From Murray Baylor, editor of the Alfred Masterwork Edition of Rachmaninov's Preludes Op. 32:

"This serene, elegant piece exploiting the upper register of the piano requires careful dynamic balances and a beautiful tone. Murmuring accompaniment establishes the pulse for a contemplative, lyric melody which must be shaded toward its climactic notes ... The complexly related rhythms are challenging, and should be precise but flexible and flowing."

#2182501 - 11/14/13 09:21 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40 years with a few years of lessons
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2A1q7vrgSI&feature=youtu.be
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Arabeske in Cmajor, Op. 18
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:06:48
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:First off... I had a terrible time recording this. A real case of red dot paralysis. The problem really is that I feel I can play just about any part of this pretty well but then when I put it all together, no matter how well it goes there is always at least one section that falls apart. I toyed with the idea of editing and cutting out the mistakes with a corrected version but..I decided to treat my performance like a real recital, so here it is warts and all. There are a few glaring errors the worst (for me anyway) is a wrong note in the final coda.

So, with that confession here is a little bit about the piece. I heard Sam play this a few recitals back and being a Schumann fan, really loved it. It has so many different moods. In fact it was written by Schumann during a very difficult time in his blossoming relationship with Clara Wieck. He was away in Vienna and she was back in Leipzig. Clara's father disliked Schumann and felt his relationship with her would interfere with her career as a pianist. So the only way Schumann could communicate with Clara was through letters and music. As I worked on this piece I looked at it as a communication with a distant friend and lover. In it are light warm moments as well as dark and rumbling discontents. I picture her playing it and sensing all of his emotions. And after all the springlike playful tunes and dark mutterings comes... at the very end, a beautiful, warm love note.

I plan on working on this wonderful piece for at least another year and then... maybe, hopefully, record it again without so many mistakes. Stay tuned smile and thanks for listening.

#2182502 - 11/14/13 09:22 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Ruby, My Dear
Composer:Thelonious Monk
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq / Audacity
Additional info:This is a beautiful ballad, certainly one of the best love songs to come out of the bebop genre. I heard the man play it himself on several occasions in the 50s and 60s, and always loved it. It was written for Ruby (Rubie ?) Richardson, Monk's first love, and has been described as having a feeling of "lovesick pining". The structure of the song, with a simple theme repeated in successivley higher keys, reminds me a lot of Leonard Bernstein's explanation of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony, which uses a similar technique to express a deep longing ("I want it, I want it,....").

Bernstein comments re Tchaikovsky

I may have overdone the arpeggios a bit here, but as Charles de Gaulle would have said, if he had played the piano, arpeggios have their own logic - - if you CAN play them, you MUST play them.

#2182503 - 11/14/13 09:22 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:38+
Video link:http://youtu.be/5ks5jqPicoQ
Title of piece:For Tina
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:02:54
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Direct to Piano , into Audacity to convert to MP3
Additional info:For Tina - I wrote this last year and posted an early version to the Bar at the time ,it has matured a little since then. No jazz improvisation this time.

Sorry about all the hand waving in the video , I am sure I don't do that normally but when that red light is on all sorts of strange things happen lol. One blooper near the end but what can you do......

#2182504 - 11/14/13 09:22 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Nine years
Video link:http://youtu.be/vue98IojNQs
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Waterways
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:32
Source of music:"In a Time Lapse" sheet music collection
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded with Zoom H4, normalized in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q3HD.
Additional info:This piece was a little frustrating for me. The solo piano arrangement in the sheet music collection varies necessarily, and substantially, from how it is played by his ensemble, either on the album or any of the live recordings floating around on the web. It's also substantially different from the version he plays in the "Live From Home" broadcast, but I didn't have the time to work out by ear that arrangement. The sheet music arrangement suffers in comparison with all the others, but it's still a pretty enough piece that I wanted to learn it.

On top of that, I messed up the angle of the video, so my left hand is cut off. Arrgggh. I'm posting an unlisted link to the video anyway, but I'm going to record a new version in a couple of weeks after I get my piano tuned that will hopefully be better.

Lunch was leftovers from a tofu-broccoli-Udon noodle concoction I threw together for dinner last night.

#2182506 - 11/14/13 09:23 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Grouchomarx
Experience:4+ years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZT2BmLda8
Title of piece:Clair de Lune
Composer:Debussy
Duration:05:09
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Roland HP305
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Video recorder ran out of memory and stopped recording two thirds in so had to record that again and sync the audio. Please let me know if you think it lacks emotion, as I didn't really connect with it too deeply when I recorded it.

#2182507 - 11/14/13 09:24 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ladypayne
Title of piece:Feed the Birds
Composer:Sherman Brothers
Duration:03:00
Source of music:my own arrangement
Additional info:My own arrangement of Feed the Birds from Marry Poppins. Hope you enjoy =)

#2182508 - 11/14/13 09:24 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Rerun
Experience:At age 8, 6 months ... beginning at age 60, 6 1/2 yrs. with Piano Magic
Title of piece:You Never Can Tell
Composer:Chuck Berry
Duration:02:41
Source of music:Play-by-ear
Instrument used:Casio Celviano AP-24
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:Beside just liking the tune, figuring out a workable rhythm pattern, etc. was intriguing about "You Never Can Tell".

#2182509 - 11/14/13 09:25 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:5 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/z9tFkFyxQT0
Title of piece:Reflection
Composer:Original
Duration:04:55
Source of music:Self-composition
Instrument used:upright Essex piano
Recording method:Used Flip nano to record, extracted audio using audacity
Additional info:I had a better recording method this time. I hope you guys like it.

#2182510 - 11/14/13 09:26 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SwissMS
Experience:About 5 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhuEp8e-sM
Home page link:http://swisspianogirl.ch
Title of piece:Na Corda da Viola
Composer:Villa-Lobos
Duration:02:34
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bechstein Grand A160
Recording method:Q3HD to Audacity
Additional info:The Brazilian composer Villa-Lobos composed a lot of music based on Brazilian folk songs. This piece is part of Guia Practico which was composed when Villa-Lobos was deeply involved with music education in Brazil. It is an anthology of pieces based on popular Brazilian children's songs. When researching this piece, I actually found it on Youtube sung by a Brazilian children's choir.

The lyrics are as follows:

Na corda da viola todo mundo bate;
Na corda da viola, todo mundo bate,
Na corda da viola todo mundo bate,
Na corda daviola todo mundo bate;

As costureiras fazem assim...
Os carpinteiros fazem assim...
Os marceneiros fazem assim...

Translation:
The strings of the guitar beat with everyone's rhythm, [Repeats three times].
Seamstresses do like this...
Carpenters do like this...
Lumberjacks do like this...

My teacher is from Brazil, and the sheet music I used was handed down to her by her grandmother. This piece is very different from anything that I have played before. I gravitate toward romantic period pieces, and this is from the modern era, full of discordance and samba rhythms. It is big and bold, and it took me quite a while to just let loose with it. Once I did, it was fun though!

Lunch? It is breakfast time here. I had Kirsch fruchte Kuchen (cherry custard pie). Yum!

#2182511 - 11/14/13 09:27 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jake S
Experience:1.75 years
Title of piece:Arabesque No.1
Composer:Claude Debussy
Duration:05:30
Source of music:Sheet music (memorised)
Instrument used:Kawai CA 93
Additional info:Although this was written early in his career (in the 1880s before he was 30), I think you can already hear the impressionistic roots of Debussy's later style in this music.

He starts the piece with a series of triplet arpeggios and then introduces a wash of impressionist colour. Here he introduces the 3 against 2 polyrhythm that is used in various forms throughout the piece.

The B section has an almost wistful quality, before modulating to a declamatory C major that is filled with block chords leading back into the A theme.

To be honest, this piece is right at the top of my pay grade, and it shows in a few points. It is a real study in 3 against 2 rhythms and cantabile playing. I think that for the listener, Debussy manages to create an accessible piece with an interesting sound regardless of the technicalities of the rhythms.

Lunch will be pizza with peppers and chicken (yum).

#2182512 - 11/14/13 09:27 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:George Schiro
Experience:20+ years, self-taught
Title of piece:Smile
Composer:George Schiro
Duration:02:36
Source of music:mood music, improvised
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:"Smile" is based on a short sketch ("Smile in August") from a few years back.

#2182513 - 11/14/13 09:28 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:8+. Closer to 9 now.
Title of piece:Letting Go
Composer:Issac Shepard / Mr Super- Hunky
Duration:04:10
Source of music:Played and composed (my sections) by ear using the F.O.A.M method. (Figure out and memorize). Pretty much the way a monkey would do it. But it works and it's free so why not right?
Instrument used:This time I'm back on the Roland KR-7 digital. With headphones, this instrument is glorious but the built in speakers have a lot of room for improvement.
Recording method:Zoom H2 - Audacity. I had to increase the left and right volume levels 10% in Audacity because my recording levels are very low when taken from the digital piano using line levels. For some reason, my recordings always end up very soft in volume. Even with the gain settings on high and 100 %. Anyway, if your recording levels are too low (or high), you can adjust them in Audacity on the ruler bar just left of the recording itself. The graphic analyzer one.
Additional info:This is that beautiful goose bump piece I was talking about. At least the first section.

I tried to leave the first section of Issacs piece pretty much entirely intact other than playing the way I do. The middle section of this piece is entirely mine and original. The end section of this piece is a variation of the original theme. That literally makes this an original piece, someone else s piece, and a combined variation all at the same time! If that's not a bastard then I don't know what is!

But here's the thing, it's what I do! It is SO much fun just to hack a piece apart and play with it musically. Kind of like customizing a jeep, only instead, customizing a song/tune/piece/whatever.

You never hear me bitchin' do you?

#2182514 - 11/14/13 09:28 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Many, on and off
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Ug-n3e84
Title of piece:On Christmas Day - Iceberg City
Composer:Me and A N Other
Duration:02:55
Source of music:Ear
Instrument used:Piano. Dgx620
Recording method:Audacity, Wavepad and Videopad
Additional info:Overshot the xmas deadline for last year, so here it is! I really regret selling that ole jo-anna . . .

#2182515 - 11/14/13 09:29 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:Returning adult. Many years total
Title of piece:Piano Sonata Op 2 no 1 2nd mvt Adagio
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:05:58
Source of music:Henle Editions
Instrument used:1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:H2N w/Audacity
Additional info:Almonds for a snack before playing. Got coughing so badly nearly choked to death!! Tried to play this "sweetly" as indicated. Some mistakes still. Tricky piece to record. Many efforts needed. Going to be happy with this.

#2182516 - 11/14/13 09:29 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:timmyab
Experience:20 years
Title of piece:Cadenza from concerto no 4
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:45
Source of music:Schirmer
Instrument used:Yamaha S30
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:I love the 4th piano concerto. I tried to learn it many years ago (why did I???), but there are lots of difficulties and there's also the small matter of an orchestra required (preferably one that enjoys accompanying incompetent pianists).
I revived this cadenza after hearing Mitsuko Uchida playing it at this year's proms. It's too difficult for me and my hands go out of sync in places.

#2182517 - 11/14/13 09:29 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Anne H
Experience:12 years as a child/teenager, 1 year as a returning adult
Title of piece:Canzone popolare (Francia, 1500 ca.)
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:00:55
Instrument used:1963 Steinway Console
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:I discovered this piece tucked in the back of my music cabinet during one of my short late night practice sessions. I had a giant work project dropped into my lap two months ago and brought all of my big piano project plans to a halt. I've been sneaking in short practice sessions whenever I can - luckily, during this time period our duplex neighbor also moved out so I can temporarily play late at night again.

This piece is one of those restful easy pieces that I've been playing in short bursts. It's simple and easy, but still has so much feeling packed into a short amount of space. I'm back to my regular practice schedule as of this month, but I'm thankful for pieces like this during the busy times of my life. I miss being a kid and having hours to practice when I felt like it.

Lunch was leftover spaghetti and meatballs with homebaked bread, along with copious amounts of Russian Caravan tea.

#2182518 - 11/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:Almost 50
Title of piece:Barcarolle No.4
Composer:Gabriel Faure
Duration:03:46
Instrument used:Yamaha Avant Grand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:French composer, Gabriel Faure, wrote several pieces with the title "Barcarolle". I started working on No.4 because it seemed to be technically manageable. I have realised, however, that it is actually very difficult to play well. Although it is a late romantic composition it is quite polyphonic with lots of melody lines in the middle voices.

Like many of the other Faure pieces it is very emotional. It's a pity that my technical shortcomings prevents me from fully expressing the depths of the feelings through my playing. Anyhow I hope that you'll enjoy listening to this piece.

#2182519 - 11/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Copper
Experience:8
Title of piece:Photos Every Day
Composer:Rob Simonsen
Duration:01:14
Source of music:Sheet music - Apple iPhone TV commercial
Instrument used:Yamaha P-250
Recording method:Connected the Yamaha P-250 to the computer

#2182520 - 11/14/13 09:30 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:7 years + 5 many years ago
Title of piece:12x4 Blues
Duration:02:13
Source of music:It comes from two books about learning to play the Blues
Instrument used:Roland FP7
Recording method:iMac thru midi with software piano and Band in a Box for the drum track
Additional info:I'm playing a bunch of licks + the blues scale as the theme of the song.

#2182521 - 11/14/13 09:31 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:Almost a year
Video link:http://youtu.be/tPqWCKMRoTI
Title of piece:Sonatina in C, Op 36, No 1
Composer:Muzio Clementi
Duration:05:43
Source of music:Keith Snell "Essential Piano Repertoire From the 17th, 18th, &19 Centuries" Level 3
Instrument used:Yamaha P105 with Galaxy Vintage D software
Recording method:Used Audacity, VLC Media Player and Windows Movie Maker. I don't hold any formal qualifications in I.T. but I feel I deserve an honory one for my efforts
Additional info:Each of the three movements was recorded in separate sessions over two very intense days and nights. I had hoped this would turn out a little better with fewer mistakes, I realise now I underestimated the difficulty of the piece. But I also like to set a bit of a challenge for myself in these recitals and the upside is I have learned so much from this seemingly simple Sonatina that I am looking forward to attempting the next one.
With my wife packing for a conference she found a camping meal in one of our suitcases which had expired. Naturally that just had to be dinner and so far still alive to tell the tale.

#2182522 - 11/14/13 09:31 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:40 years on my own, past 4 years with a teacher
Title of piece:Prelude, Op.28, No.15 "Raindrop"
Composer:Chopin
Duration:06:02
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:For this recital, I'm back to playing another popular piece. (I found nine performances of this in the ABF recital archives.) Even though it is often-played, the nice thing about this piece is that there are almost as many ways to play it as there are performers. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of listening to and getting ideas from different performances, experimenting with various approaches, and making the decisions for my own interpretation.

I had two challenges with this piece. The first was trying to control the repeated Ab, to allow it to support and give shape to the melody without it becoming clunky, annoying, or overbearing. Luckily, there is a break from that relentless Ab in the middle section, when the piece moves into the key of C# minor and the repeated note moves to G#. wink The second challenge was allowing the right hand melody to "sing". I think I ended up with some moments of success; enough to satisfy me for now.

I discovered a mistake in my copy of the score last week. It has a tie across two measures which shouldn't be there. But it was too late; the piece was already learned. I practiced it a few times with the change, but of course I forgot it during the recording.

#2182523 - 11/14/13 09:32 PM Re: Recital 32 --- November 15, 2013 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+
Title of piece:Quanta Qualia
Composer:Patrick Hawes
Duration:05:05
Source of music:Patrick Hawes: Towards the Light for solo piano
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 with audacity
Additional info:I heard this piece in Recital 29 played by Daren and loved the beautiful melody. I arranged some of the sections to make the tempo playable for me. This is a Latin choral piece. The words of the piece are: Amina mea mane, Quanta Qualia, Conventus gaudia erunt. English translation: Soul of mine abide, What a Feel, Shall the Joy of meeting be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Who's Online
83 registered (Bamburg, acortot, 36251, Beemer, 24 invisible), 1041 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157638 Topics
2315456 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission